• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon could have been WAY better if it wasn't marketed toward children

What do you think?

• It could have been better if it was marketed toward an older age group

Votes: 231 49.8%
  • It's fine just the way it is.

Votes: 233 50.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
Besides the referencing and advertisement of other Nintendo products...
I was joking... I thought BlitzBlast was supposed to be the smart one....

No matter how much you want POKEMON to be one of the great animated classics of all time alongside Disney/Pixar stuff... it is NOT going to happen....

However... SAVE THE SHELDON! SAVE THE WORLD! .... hahahahahahahahaha!

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
My sarcasm detector is getting repaired.

Sorry.

And you seemed rather earnest about it too.

Maruno

Pokemon Ranger episodes should be like "Heroes" SAVE THE SHELDON! SAVE THE WORLD!
They already did something like that in the second film, only there it was: "Save the Trio leader, save the world."

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
You were a young child when you started liking pokemon. Dont even tell me something different. The only reason you made this thread was becuase the commercials looked cool and you wanted to play the game and watch the show. You know this is all true too.

I was already a high school graduate when Pokémon came out in English. The generalization may hold true for most, but not nearly for all.

I don't get it.... is the anime being childish a good thing or bad thing?

I think the only reason why people say it's stupid is because others say so...

I liked Pokemon when I was a little kid, and I still like it now.
Now I realize what people mean when they say it's "childish", but that doesn't really bother me.
Maybe it's because whenever I watch it, I lose myself in my long lost "inner kid", or maybe because I spend so much time analyzing all the shipping hints and character development XDDD *shot*

The point is, childish doesn't necessarily mean bad.
I happen to find the anime kind of cute actually.

*runs away before I get stoned*

SilverDragon7683

Will Eat For Food
I`ll attempt a response here cuz I'm in the mood.

I`ve read through bits and pieces of this thread and can agree with some aspects of both sides of the argument, but as stated, it is designed as a childrens show. That will never change.

What I think would make the show "better" is if they didn't edit it to death. I read something recently that claims 4kids go out of their way to get rid of any and all "bad" content, such as the use of the word bomb, or showing a lit match to light some explosives. Which is pathetic enough by itself. But what got me steamed is that they go out of their way to erase Japanese culture.

It started with simply calling the ever prominent onigiri, or riceballs, doughnuts. Which was fine. I believed it at age 7. But now I hear they go as far as painting over them as a sandwich or something!? That is just horrible.

I`ll attempt a response here cuz I'm in the mood.

I`ve read through bits and pieces of this thread and can agree with some aspects of both sides of the argument, but as stated, it is designed as a childrens show. That will never change.

What I think would make the show "better" is if they didn't edit it to death. I read something recently that claims 4kids go out of their way to get rid of any and all "bad" content, such as the use of the word bomb, or showing a lit match to light some explosives. Which is pathetic enough by itself. But what got me steamed is that they go out of their way to erase Japanese culture.

It started with simply calling the ever prominent onigiri, or riceballs, doughnuts. Which was fine. I believed it at age 7. But now I hear they go as far as painting over them as a sandwich or something!? That is just horrible.

That's a very good point....
The racism in the West is very severe (I learned that the hard way).
I remember those episodes where they called riceballs donuts.
I think it's just a flat out insult at Eastern culture.
Completely ridiculous. It's not like Dunkin Donuts are gonna go bankrupt if you call riceballs riceballs....
People should really learn to be more accepting.
That ought to make Pokemon more popular.

OMFGrhombus

Lover of Dark types
When I was playing XD, I made up my mind to think of everything as badass as possible.

"Awesome! Hostage situation at the TV station!"

"Awesome! The governor is actually a bad guy!"

"Awesome! Secret villainous base camp in a volcano!"

It was like 24. Only better.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
When I was playing XD, I made up my mind to think of everything as badass as possible.

"Awesome! Hostage situation at the TV station!"

"Awesome! The governor is actually a bad guy!"

"Awesome! Secret villainous base camp in a volcano!"

It was like 24. Only better.

Does your main character in XD 'die' every single season?

No?

Then it isn't 24.

Scootlaboot

Redneck Gamer
Does your main character in XD 'die' every single season?

No?

Then it isn't 24.

Which explains the "only better" part of his post.

TomstarRule

Rainbow Ruler. Funny
I stopped watching theshows when I was about 7 and realised that there were shows that were better animated than this. When I was a young whippersnapper ther character's mouths moved up and down with utterly no timing with the words that were supposedly coming out of them. It made them look like Magikarps.

I stopped playing the game after Emerald. But I had a friend who still played pokemon and whenevr I went to his I played it and I thought, "Why did I ever stop playing?" I am now 14 with my copy of Pearl and hoping to get Platinum eventually. I love the games, its like any other game. Ratchet and Clank is a great game, aimed at kids/pre teens (hence the comic violence, beeped-out swearing and 3+ rating) and so is pokemon. I especially like watching the moves actually being used. I remember when I was trying to catch Palkia, and I saw Spacial Rend for the first time. I thought, "That's a new move," and "This may hurt," cos of the time obviously spent on making the move. Things like Tackle aren't powerful, and you can tell even if you have no idea of the BP of Tackle. The sprite simply moves towards the other Sprite. And I'm drifting off topic...

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
The intended audience was from 7 to 12 years. But the real range goes up to 16, or even more. Nintendo should consider this, and allow more serious content to enter the show. The first 2 seasons looked darker than the rest. If they could go back on that level, I would be happy.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
The intended audience was from 7 to 12 years. But the real range goes up to 16, or even more. Nintendo should consider this, and allow more serious content to enter the show. The first 2 seasons looked darker than the rest. If they could go back on that level, I would be happy.

It seems that the anime's flucuating at that point. You have two kids that appeal to the stereotypical children of today, and then you have the "adult" of the group. They find and catch monsters, in a frolic-like way. Sounds happy, right?

Somehow, the anime kind of leans to moments of violence, such as the Toxicroak's-fatality-on-Brock's-Croagunk thing.

I suppose's the anime's leaning back on a few of their old ways, trying to make people fap more and more to the terrible region Johto come back to the anime, sort of what Digimon Savers/Data Squad did for their anime. At least Ash's cool enough to stick around for all these years.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Wait, Toxicroak did WHAT?

I thought they just stared at each other.

Dang, I really need to fix my TV.

ralfchar

ain't it Charific?
I think there sould be some kind of pokemon in the future w/ ash being 15, like Ben 10, that went into a future where he alredy had a kid...
but they sould air both the programs... that way, you have pokemon for children and pokemon for teens xP

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
You know what... I feel the main cast is pathetic...
Screw maturity... just make your characters 3-Dimensional...

Ash, Brock and Dawn are some of the blandest characters ever...
May, Drew and Harley by comparison were far more interesting...

Hell the guest characters in Movie 12 but the nonsense Ash and his friends bring them will hurt the movie's quality as usually...

Must everything revolve around the morons... can't the movies be their own entity...
They are made to showcase the legendary Pokemon after all...

schrik

hysterical fan
I think it's good the way it is (Childish) Because when i watch pokemon, i want to return in the past, with innocent subjet. I would'nt like if they aborded more mature subjet.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
It seems that the anime's flucuating at that point. You have two kids that appeal to the stereotypical children of today, and then you have the "adult" of the group. They find and catch monsters, in a frolic-like way. Sounds happy, right?

Somehow, the anime kind of leans to moments of violence, such as the Toxicroak's-fatality-on-Brock's-Croagunk thing.

I suppose's the anime's leaning back on a few of their old ways, trying to make people fap more and more to the terrible region Johto come back to the anime, sort of what Digimon Savers/Data Squad did for their anime. At least Ash's cool enough to stick around for all these years.
Kids can tolerate action movies rather well, and they should be able to tolerate intense action and dark situations in anime, as well. No need for Nintendo to make the series too childish.

randomspot555

Kids can tolerate action movies rather well, and they should be able to tolerate intense action and dark situations in anime, as well. No need for Nintendo to make the series too childish.

Action movies are just big explosions and high body counts. It is not the same as being more mature or being "dark".

Status
Not open for further replies.