• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Cries

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
charizard and ryhorn hav the same cry

That's not even what was being discussed. Plus, everyone knows that already.

I would hate it if Pokemon said their name when you sent them out of a Pokeball. It's illogical for them to do that anyways. I'm assuming that in the Pokemon universe, humans would have named Pokemon, which would in it self be contradicted by the fact that all they do is mindlessly spout their own names.

Maybe Gamefreak could revamp the old cries with newer methods of synthesizing. That would be more bearable, plus I'm pretty sure they tried to do that in Pokemon Stadium.

i hope they don't change or even revamp them too much maybe just a very slight change. To me it would be like changing the pokemon. It's like hearing someones voice on the phone for the first time, you're not sure if it's them or not as they sound slightly different. I think all the gens sound slightly different. i think 3rd gen sounds as if it's just beginning to play with new techniques which goes with the change to GBA. 4th gen sounds as if it's really getting into new techniques as it is DS. 1st and 2nd do sound as if they've used the same kind of sounds but then they all sound different at least and easy to tell the difference (excluding Rhyhorn+Charizard, Machop+Omanyte etc that share or have very similar sounds like Caterpie and Goldeen) and i think it's important to retain their original sounds to remember that they are from the original gen and second gen as they were the first two. The graphics and movesets and whatnot have all been re-vamped so the sounds are the only tie left to what they once were. I think it would be nice to keep that tie but i'm someone who played the originals when they first came out so it might be different for those who had not.

also i am quite good at figuring out without looking what pokemon makes what sound so if they changed them i'd not be able to at first and that would annoy me :p That's why i love playing with the poketch calculator!

also if you don't like zubat or jynx's call or whoever else then keep your sound turned low or turn it off. I personally don't like 3rd gen calls the most because they've made some of them sound too much like real animals eg spoink who has just a little grunt type thing which i think is rather unimaginative (and doesn't match spoinks ultra cuteness). The first and second gen calls were forced to be more interesting as they did not have the technology to put the proper calls in (hence they may have gotten mixed up or ran out of time with the likes of Rhyhorn and Charizard and hoped noone would notice OR they ran out of memory in the cart)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Has anyone noticed that all the newer pokemon such as gen 3 and more so gen 4 pokemon have nice, mostly soft on the ears, cries. Whereas the pokemon from gen 1 and gen 2 still have ear wrenching ones in gen 4. Do you think they will redo them for HG/SS?

The cries have never been changed and they're not going to be o_O

That's not even what was being discussed. Plus, everyone knows that already.

I didn't.

demnz

I hate breeding
I like the older cries, yeah cause of nostalgia, but I like Cherrim's and Gastrodon's cries. o.o

Nostalgia is the #1 leading cause of flamewars in any community, and yes, I just made that up.

I'm assuming that in the Pokemon universe, humans would have named Pokemon, which would in it self be contradicted by the fact that all they do is mindlessly spout their own names.
Maybe they named them because of what they say. Some animals were named that way, some...

Orangefeather

I like the new ones better. I hope they redo the old cries at some point, but that's pretty unlikely. Even though a lot of the original 151 share cries (like Charizard and Ryhorn as already stated), I doubt that they will redo the old cries.

xxxLatiasxxx

I don't think they’ll change the cries in anyway.

Dezmond

I liked Pikachu's cry in Pokemon Yellow. It would say ''Pika'' and ''Chu''. Dunno if it would be nice to have all Pokemon say their name out loud but it is nice to have more unique cries for them.

drifblim's cry is annoying i think.it's like a human who is being mutanted.

Paj Meen Ah

In For The Kill
As far as I gathered. Pokemon were named because of their voices (in the anime), and then maybe altered by humans to fit their type in some cases.

As for old vs. new. Of courset the old ones sound like ****. They should either redo them (i.e make new ones based on the old ones), or just give them real voices. Not too annoying or repetitive though.

Melloyu

they won't redo it, too much work

the old ones are just fine because you get the feeling of the old games :p

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
I actually think that the Gen 4 cries were loud and scratchy. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina have cries that don't even sound... believable. And Purugly... *shudders*

I like the older cries, because they really match the Pokemon... and don't sound like their going through a shredder. Yes, there are some old Pokemon with scratchy cries, but there are more with normal cries.

I don't think they'll redo the cries, just because they never do...

miu miu

I like the new cries they're nice and they'll probably change the old cries in the next generation ( mew's cry is so annoying).

The cries will be kept the same for practicality purposes. The only Pokemon who's cry has ever changed was Pikachu, and that was just for yellow. Other Pikachu that appeared in Yellow had Pikachu's original cry.

I heard that Abra's cry was changed in the 3rd Gen becuase the sound quality was better.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
I heard that Abra's cry was changed in the 3rd Gen becuase the sound quality was better.

Well, all of their cries were altered, but that's because the Gameboy Advance's hardware allowed for sounds that weren't just synthesized by the system. Abra's cry may have been altered, but it's still relatively the same.