• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Crusade

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Rating: PG-13​

Includes mild-medium language, scenes of graphic violence, gore,
frightening images, mild horror, and suggestive themes.

Genre
Action/Romance/Tragedy

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Pokémon. Any resemblance or reference to any real persons,
places, or ideas is purely coincidental and unintentional unless explicitly
stated otherwise by the author. Opinions and statements of religion,
politics, cultures, or anything else expressed in this story do not necessarily
reflect those of the author. Also, the ideas and components of this story
do not specifically relate to the games, anime, manga, or trading
card game of Pokemon.

Chapter List:

->- Part One -<-
-+- Rebirth of Terror -+-

Prologue
Chapter One-- Confliction
Chapter Two-- Escape
Chapter Three-- Reporters and Thugs
Chapter Four-- Flight to Pewter City
Chapter Five-- Xavier
Chapter Six-- Dreamz of the Lonely
Chapter Seven-- Wanted
Chapter Eight-- Into the Wild
Chapter Nine-- Safe Haven with Erik
Chapter Ten-- In the Open
Chapter Eleven-- Poverty Path
Chapter Twelve-- Crossing Kanto
Chapter Thirteen-- Convergence
Chapter Fourteen-- The Crusaders
Chapter Fifteen-- Headquarters
Chapter Sixteen-- Oblivion
Chapter Seventeen-- Lost
Chapter Eighteen-- Echoes
Chapter Nineteen-- Revelations
Chapter Twenty-- Revival
Author's Note

->- Part Two -<-
-+- Scourge of Ragnarok -+-

Prologue
Chapter One-- Sinnoh
Chapter Two-- Under the Veiled Stone
Chapter Three-- Bloodstained Marshes
Chapter Four-- Retreat
Chapter Five-- Muster Call
Chapter Six-- Dark Sky
Chapter Seven-- Trinity
Chapter Eight-- Ascent
Chapter Nine-- Ragnarok
Chapter Ten-- After
Epilogue

Pronunciation Guide

Jack Surge -- Jack Surge

Megan Migoto -- May-gan MEE-goe-toe

Xavier Goushiki -- ZA-vee-ur GOESH-kee

Static -- STAT-ick

Sceadon -- SKAY-don

Guardia/Dreamz -- GARD-ee-uh / DREEMS

Chlora -- KLOR-uh

Uchiwa -- OO-chee-wah

Boruto -- BOH-roo-toe

Konpaku -- CONE-PAH-koo

Makiba -- MAH-kee-bah

Shura -- SHUR-ah

Honoo -- HO-NO*(held longer than first syllable)

Here's a gallery of pictures. Artist of each will be noted.

th_Jack.jpg

Jack in his Initial Release (found on deviantart)

jack.jpg

Jack with Konpaku (drawn by Air Dragon)

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/JackSurge/Crusaders.jpg?t=1239028399
The four main characters, drawn by me

PM List
duncan
Luphinid Silnaek
Challenger Espeon
Cosmic
Cool Trainer Abhi
SamuraiDragon1
Zadros
Aura Master
Stabberz
storymasterb
Raptor ruler
FlameMaster4895
a person
Son of Shadows
Imperator Venit
Fire master of the east
surfer treecko
pyrodemon94
chilo life
Zimiii
GaZsTiC
Amras.MG
Yonowarru
shadow wolf

~*~*~*~*~
Prologue
~*~*~*~*~​

Rain fell lightly from a dismal, overcast sky. Gathered around a giant granite tombstone in a rather minute and shoddy cemetery was a small congregation of criminals, rich folks, and a few others. Armed police men patrolled the perimeter, ready for any convict to try and escape.

Among the crowd stood two men, both in their mid-forties. The first man had hair the color of crimson flame, bangs brushed to the sides of his face. The second had longer hair, a deep sapphire blue, combed straight back, reaching slightly past his shoulders. A few strands of hair hung down to his thin cheeks. Covering the eyes of both men were sunglasses. They had no need for them in the current weather, but they wore them nonetheless. Although the gentle shower stained their faces with water drops, no tears fell from their eyes as they listened to the priest’s monotonous speech.

The man with red hair felt sorrow, yet at the same time felt nothing. His father had not been the greatest role model. They had always been rich, but his father had always been experimenting in his laboratory, and neglected his two sons. Then, slowly he led them to a life filled with false promises and power they had only dreamed of. Their lives became immersed in a plot, one that would leave them at the top of the world.

But then, they had been foiled by a man by Wes, a former member of an ally of theirs. They had suffered a great defeat, but behind the scenes, the man’s father had worked furiously on a new project. His ultimate masterpiece, XD001. The legendary Lugia was under his control. XD001 was the first stable unpurifiable Pokémon. XD000 had been a failure. It was completely shadowed, but it was unstable and suffered wild changes in health. But XD001 was perfect. Or so they thought. Five years after Wes, a little kid named Michael had wiped out the entire plot. Somehow, the kid had talent in battling and was able to defeat their strongest admins. By the defeat, Eldes had a change of heart. He realized they had been chasing an impossible dream, one that would only result in chaos. He convinced his father to surrender and turn himself in. Greevil had agreed, and Ardos reluctantly gave in as well.

Here they stood, four years later, at their father’s funeral. He had died in prison from cancer, and despite his wrong deeds in the past, he was a kind man in the jail and many inmates and guards grew to enjoy his company. Now, Eldes and Ardos were released on probation.

As the priest finished, the blue-haired Ardos turned away and walked to a sleek black limo. Eldes turned and followed his younger brother to the automobile. Both climbed into the back seat. As they drove away, the man in the passenger seat spoke of their property and who it was to be inherited by. Eldes hadn’t paid attention, but instead looked at his brother’s eyes through the sunglasses. Eldes recognized the same expression that Ardos had, four years ago, when he had been at his prime in the Cipher organization. For the first time in his life, Eldes was truly afraid of his younger brother.

End prologue. Catch any foreshadowing? hehe...

Jack ;466;

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Here's the revamped chapter. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter One—Confliction
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The noon sun sat in the clear blue expanse of sky, casting gentle rays upon the playground. Laughter rose from the many children who darted back and forth, up and down, under and over and side to side on the play structures. Some children were out in a small field, kicking a ball back and forth.

Apart from the multitudes was a young boy, only eight, sitting on a swing. His thick brown hair framed his face, falling over his ears. Soft, dark gray eyes stared at the shreds of rubber on the ground.

Two boys of the same age approached him, one with a soccer ball at his feet.

“Hey, you wanna play?” The boy with the ball asked.

The boy on the swing looked up, a bit startled. He glanced at the first boy. “What?”

“I asked you if you wanted to play with us.” He eyed the kid. “My name’s Max.”

“I’m Jack,” the boy on the swing mumbled.

“I’m Ian,” the second boy said. “So do you want to play soccer?”

Jack looked back down at the ground. “No thanks.”

Ian frowned. “You sure?”

Jack nodded, not looking up.

Ian shrugged and turned to leave, but Max put a hand on his shoulder. “Jack, aren’t you the new kid?” Max asked.

Jack nodded again, still staring at the ground.

Something dawned on Ian, and he smirked at the top of Jack’s head. “Isn’t your daddy an American?”

Startled, Jack glanced up, his grip tightening on the chain of the swing. “Yeah, he is.”

Ian smirked wider. “So that means you’re American too, right?”

Jack swallowed. “Only half.”

Ian laughed. “You’re still an Amerigo.” The demeaning term made Jack flinch. He stood up, his fists clenched tight.

“Take it back.”

“Why should I? Americans are worthless.” Ian took a step towards Jack.

“Take it back,” Jack mumbled, not meeting Ian’s eyes.

Ian shoved Jack away. “Make me.”

Jack stumbled, but kept his balance. He said nothing.

“You can’t even fight.” Ian swung his fist and caught Jack in the side of his face. Jack landed on the rubber shreds, his hand going to his cheek. He didn’t cry, or even make a sound.

Ian laughed at Jack. “Pathetic.” Just then, something hit him square in the back, causing him to fly forward and land on his face next to Jack. At the spot where Ian had stood was another boy with snow white hair sticking up at odd angles. He had vibrant green eyes, staring down at Ian.

“Go away.”

Fuming, Ian jumped to his feet and swung his fist at the boy with white hair. His punch missed and he found himself on the ground again, this time with his hand behind his back.

“I said, go away,” the white haired boy whispered. Ian felt his hand released and quickly scrambled up, fleeing the scene with a backward glance. The new boy turned to Max, who blanched and hurried after his friend. The threat gone, the white haired boy reached out a hand to help Jack up. “I’m Mike.”

Jack took the hand and climbed to his feet. He rubbed his cheek, which was beginning to swell. He looked at Mike, studying his face. The eyes were bright and cheerful, and when he smiled, Jack suddenly felt comfortable. He returned the grin. “I’m Jack.”

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

“And that concludes today’s class,” the professor said calmly. He turned around to face the class, running a hand through his thinning gray hair. He adjusted his thick glasses and scratched his nose before continuing. “Remember, next Monday I will evaluate your three teams before we begin our end-of-semester tournament. Be sure you have them ready for me. And I need them on a memory stick. No handwritten or typed copies. I need the files on my computer. You have all shown tremendous improvement over the semester, and I think a few of you have a chance usurping Jack’s position of champion from last semester’s tourney.”

Small chuckles rose from a few of the high school students. A boy in the back of the class room glanced up through his shaggy brown hair. He gave a small, fake smile. He knew the chuckles disguised the jealously among most of the students.

Jack was near the end of his tenth year of school. Since the beginning of his ninth year, he had attended Earl’s Pokémon Academy, a private school that focused on students showing talent in Pokémon subjects. Jack had scored near perfect on his entrance exam and had half of his tuition paid for by the school. Jack was at the top of his class in Battle Tactics and Pokémon Biology. In his Battle Tactics class, at the end of each semester, a tournament was held among the class. Each student had three teams, which they battled on a simulator program. For the fall semester’s tournament, Jack had emerged victorious. He had continued to show his near perfect talent in battling, and it had caused many students to dislike him for it. Jack hated the attention, but he refused to perform at any level lower than his best. He owed it to Mike.

Since their first meeting on the playground, over eight years ago, Jack and Mike had become best friends. They took the same classes in school, and both were accepted to Earl’s Pokémon Academy. In the Battle Tactics section of the entrance exam, Mike had achieved a perfect score, a first for the Academy. For the two tournaments in their ninth year, Mike and Jack had been in the finals, and Mike had won both times. He was a celebrity among the students and faculty, hailed as the greatest Pokémon mind of the generation. Jack had been his partner through all this, receiving a lot of fame.

But Mike’s dad, a renowned Pokémon scientist, had to relocate to the Hoenn region. Mike moved at the end of his ninth year, leaving behind a legacy that would never be forgotten. The loss of his best friend had caused Jack to be awkwardly thrust into the spotlight that he had once shared. But Mike had possessed the star quality that Jack lacked, and when Jack was looked at as the next greatest thing, he grew distant and reclusive. He didn’t have any close friends, he hardly talked to anyone, and not many people knew much about him. He slowly became an outcast, not rejected, but not readily accepted by his peers. Jack did everything his best in honor of Mike, to continue the standard that had been set.

The bell rang, and students began to rise from their desks. “Don’t forget,” the professor said, raising his voice above the noise. “Tomorrow I need you to all turn in a short essay on the twenty fastest Pokémon allowed in standard tournaments. That’s all for today. We’re almost done with the semester, no need to pile on the homework. Have a good day.”

The class of twenty-some kids began to file out of the room, backpacks slung over their shoulders. Jack was still in his seat, writing on a scrap of paper.

-Scarf Aero w/ neutral speed build
-Scarf Gengar w/ positive speed build
-Scarf Weavile w/ neutral speed build

The professor ambled over to observe. “I see you’re including items. Very thorough of you.”

Jack looked up from his paper. “Um, yeah, well I—you have to be ready for anything in battle. Slow Pokémon can out-speed faster ones with a Choice Scarf.”

The professor smiled down at Jack. “Son, you’ve been the best student I’ve had in my fifteen years of teaching. It’s hard to imagine that boy Mike was even better than you.”

A small smile graced Jack’s melancholy expression. “He was.” Jack folded the paper and stuffed it into his pocket. He lifted his backpack off the floor and stood up. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Professor.”

The man shook Jack’s hand. “Tomorrow.” He watched as Jack left the room. With a sigh, he walked back to his desk and dropped into his chair. Underneath all his admiration for the boy, he actually felt sorry for him.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Jack was walking off campus with dozens of other teens. His backpack was slung over one shoulder, containing his textbooks. He was alone; he didn’t have any friends at the school. The others walking around him threw quick glances his way, as if expecting to see him do something horrible. Jack tried to ignore them.

His house was only a mile or so from the school, so he always walked home. The afternoon breeze played at his hair with a gentle touch. The sun was shining among a few wispy clouds, warming Jack’s skin. Summer was right around the corner, and the whole city seemed unable to wait.

After fifteen minutes of walking, Jack found himself at his house. The stone path that led up to the front porch was lined with small, neatly trimmed shrubs. The rest of the yard was equally perfect; Jack’s mother had been a florist and loved working on the landscaping.

Jack jumped up the steps and entered, greeted by the cool aroma of home. He kicked his shoes off next to the door and made his way into the kitchen. No one was there, so he continued up the stairs and into the first room on the left. Jack tossed his book bag down at the foot of his bed and stopped.

A small creature sat on his bed. It was about two feet tall and had fine yellow fur, accented with two black stripes around its torso and a black lightning bolt on its chest. Two prongs jutted out from his head, each with a hole in the middle. Its narrow black eyes stared at the television screen on the dresser, and in its thick arms was a Playstation3 controller. Tiny claws darted back and forth over the buttons.

“Static.” Jack stared at the Elekid.

<Just a minute,> the Pokémon replied. Jack scowled. He had been taking classes in Pokespeech for two years, and since he had had Static for that long, he could easily understand Static’s speech.

“How long have you been playing that?” Jack asked, throwing himself onto the bed.

<Since lunch time.> Static was focused on the first-person shooter game.

“Watch your left,” Jack warned, eying the screen. Static turned the on-screen gun just in time to take out the threat.

<Piece o’ cake,> Static murmured, his attention still a hundred percent on the game.

Jack sighed and grabbed his bag to retrieve a sheet of paper. He took out a pencil and took out his crumpled notes he had written in class. Jack already had the top twenty fastest Pokémon memorized, so he didn’t need to do any research. After a moment of thinking, he put his pencil to the paper and began his essay.

Speed is one of the most important aspects of battle.
It often dictates the final outcome when Pokémon are weakened. . .

Half an hour later, Jack set down his pencil and reread his work. Satisfied, he stuffed it into a folder in his backpack. “Alright Static, multiplayer time.” Jack picked up his second controller from the dresser and sat down next to Static.

<Think you can take me?> Static taunted, a grin on his small, fanged mouth.

“No, I know I can take you,” Jack retorted, his own face breaking into a grin.

Their campaign was ended when Jack’s mom, Jessica, called them down for dinner. They shut off the console and ambled downstairs, still discussing the high points of the battles. Jack and Static sat down at the square table, which was laden with a steaming honey-glazed ham, a bowl of mashed potatoes, and a basket of rolls. Jack’s mother was washing her hands in the sink when Mr. Surge came in from the living room.

“Hey Dad,” Jack muttered, meeting his father’s eyes briefly. It was clear to everyone that Jack had inherited his looks from his mother rather than his father. While Jack had brown hair and a thin frame, his father was heavyset and had short blond hair. He was ripped with muscles and always kept a stern look on his face.

Mr. Surge returned the greeting with a grunt and a nod. He sat down across from Jack, giving him a disapproving look. “You need a haircut,” he said gruffly. “It looks like a girl’s.”

Jack scowled and looked down at his plate. Jessica joined them, sitting across from Static.

“So, Elliot how was work?” she asked Mr. Surge, who was slicing the ham.

“Same as always, nothing special,” he answered bluntly. They served themselves in silence and began eating. Static was being very quiet as he chewed on a roll. Elliot said he allowed Static to eat with them because the Elekid family’s digestive system was similar to a human’s, and therefore could eat the same food. Jessica’s two Pokémon both had different diets, so they ate by themselves. Though this is the reason Elliot gave, Jack was pretty sure Static was allowed to eat with them only to fill the empty fourth seat at the table, once belonging to Jack’s older brother, before he left. Elliot hadn’t taken it well, so as soon as Static had matured enough to eat by himself, Elliot had went out and bought a booster seat so Static could reach.

The silence was becoming uncomfortable, so Elliot broke it. “How was school?” he asked stiffly.

“Same as always, nothing special,” Jack muttered, not looking up from his meal.

“Your tournament is coming up soon. Do you think you’re ready?” Jessica asked.

“Yeah,” Jack answered. “I’ve been ready since last tournament.”

<Jack’s gonna win it for sure,> Static said confidently. <He’s the best in the school.>

“Not as good as Mike though,” Jack said quietly.

Jessica smiled. “You’re still my little champion though,” she told him.

“Your brother was the best in his class,” Elliot said in a low voice.

“And so is Jack,” Jessica replied, the faintest bit of an edge in her voice.

“Mike was better than him. V—”

“He didn’t have to compete against Mike.” Jack stared coldly at his father. “No matter how great you think he was, he’d stand no chance against Mike.”

The air was thick with tension as Jack and Elliot stared each other down.

“We’ll see how well you do next year in Advanced Tactics. You’ll be studying with the best in this area of Johto.”

Jack clenched his teeth. “Dad, I’m not going to school next year. I’m applying for a Training License after I finish the term. I’ve already completed the required courses for becoming an underage trainer. Besides, I’ve said it before; I don’t think I want to go into professional battling!”

Elliot slammed his fist to the table, making Jessica jump. “We’ve been over this before! You’re the top of your class in Battle Tactics! Why wouldn’t you want to go into professional battling?”

“I’m top of my class in Pokémon Bio as well. I could always go into Pokémon study or breeding or something!” Jack said, raising his voice.

Elliot jumped to his feet, his chair tumbling down behind him. Static tensed, his narrow eyes watching Elliot warily.

“Breeding!” Elliot spat the word. “Ridiculous. Breeding is a pathetic job for women and old men. No, you, son, are going to be a professional battler. You will bring honor to the name of Surge, like I have, like my brother has. You will not demean the name of Surge by becoming a breeder!” There was a crazed look in his eyes.

“I don’t want to be a Gym Leader like Uncle Erik, it’s too constricting! And if I become a breeder, I can always choose to battle in tournaments like you if I want!” Jack found himself on his feet. “It’s my future, and I can decide what I want to do with it! Just because you couldn’t have your way with your first son doesn’t mean you have to force it on your second!” Jack could feel himself shaking.

“You have the same talent as—”

“I’m not the same person!” Jack shouted. Elliot’s eyes were wide, his mouth hanging open, words lost to him. Jack glanced at him mother, a flicker of regret in his eyes, before turning to go upstairs. Static hopped off his chair and followed, throwing a nervous look over his shoulder.

Jack threw open his door and Static scampered in before it was slammed closed. Jack was breathing heavily, his fists clenched tight. “I’ve had enough,” he whispered. He inhaled deeply, clearing his head. “Static, we’re leaving. Tomorrow, before sunrise.”

Static, who had jumped up onto the bed, looked at him. <Leaving?>

“Yes,” Jack said, beginning to pace around his room. “We’ll leave. I’ll pack some stuff, and we’ll set out tomorrow morning. We’ll begin our lives as trainer and partner.”

A small grin formed on Static’s face. <In Johto?>

Jack frowned. “Johto won’t work. We’d be too close to home, we could get caught. We’ll…we’ll go to Kanto. We can take a bus to Cherrygrove, board a ferry, and cross the border to Kanto. From there we can go to Viridian and I can officially register.”

<Don’t you need a parent or guardian to register?> Static asked.

“Only if you’re under sixteen, which I’m not,” Jack answered. “I have my certificates for passing General Pokémon Studies and Preliminary Strategy from last year and we had exams last week, so I’ve got my certificates for passing Battle Tactics and Poké-Bio from this year…I have a valid ID…that’s it.” He stopped and grinned slightly. “It all fits.”

Static grinned. <An adventure then, eh?>

“You bet’cha.”

<Well, we’ll have to prepare then, right?> Static said, bouncing on the mattress.

Jack nodded and grabbed his backpack off the floor. He emptied its contents onto his bed and laid the empty bag on his pillow. Searching around his room, he found three outfits, one to wear and two to pack. Then he went looking for miscellaneous items. His cellular phone was sitting on his nightstand, along with his wallet. He grabbed his iPod and the certificates and placed them on the nightstand. Finally, Static’s Luxury Ball, which had seen hardly any use, was placed alongside the rest of the items.

After a brief examination of his school supplies, Jack decided that he wouldn’t need any of them. The Biology book was written for educational purposes, not field work. As for the Battle Tactics textbook, Jack concluded that since he had already memorized all of its contents, there would be no need to bring it along. The only things left were his bathroom supplies and food. Camping supplies and other trainer necessities would have to be purchased in Viridian.

After stowing the school supplies in his closet and hiding the backpack under his bed, Jack lied down next to Static. “You think you’re ready for the big world?” he asked his Pokémon quietly.

<Do you think you’re ready?> Static retorted. Jack laughed.

“I think so.”

<What’s the plan after you get registered?> Static asked, his voice etched with curiosity.

“Hmm.” Jack thought about it. “What would you want to do?”

<We could always try Gym Battles,> Static answered. <Just for fun,> he added quickly.

Jack pushed himself up into a sitting position. “We could try that. I know you like to battle.”

A wide smile broke across Static’s face. <Awesome.>

A knocking on the door made both of them jump. “Jack, can I come in?” Jessica asked from the other side.

Jack glanced at Static, who met the look. Jack’s eyes flitted to the television on the dresser before he stood up. Static bounced off the bed and landed on top of the dresser, hastily turning on the Playstation3 and television to make it seem as if they were playing. Jack took his time, waiting for Static to toss the two controllers onto the bed and jump back down. As soon as Static had the controller in hand, Jack cracked open the door.

“Yeah?”

“Can I come in?” Jessica repeated in her soft voice. Jack couldn’t say no to her, so he reluctantly let her in, already knowing what she would say. She sat on his bed and he sat next to her.

“Jack,” Jessica started, “you know your father only wants the best for you.”

“Bull.” Jack was staring at the ground. “He just wants to use me as a replacement.”

“Jack, he does not!” Jessica said, putting a hand on Jack’s shoulder. “He knows you’re the most talented in this family, and he doesn’t want to see you waste it.”

“Just because I’m good at something doesn’t mean I like it,” Jack muttered.

Jessica sighed. “I know you want to be a breeder, and do your own thing. But that path won’t disappear if you spend two more years in advanced studies. You could finish school for your dad and then see where it takes you.”

Jack didn’t answer. Jessica squeezed his shoulder. “We love you, Jack.” She stood up and walked to the door, casting one last glance at her son before quietly closing the door. Jack glanced up at the door before lying back on the bed.

Maybe his brother was right. Maybe his mother was too soft.

He reached over and grabbed the second Playstation3 controller, looking dejectedly at the television screen. “Alright, let’s go,” he mumbled to Static. They set up a multiplayer game and played for a while. Jack felt a little better afterwards, and decided that he and Static should go to sleep so they wouldn’t be so tired in the morning. Static put away the controllers while Jack went to brush his teeth. He washed his face and gathered up his toiletries and packed them into the backpack. After setting his alarm clock for 4:00 A.M., he took off his shirt and shut off the light.

“Good night, Static,” Jack said as he climbed into his bed.

<Night,> Static answered, under the blanket next to Jack.

Jack could soon hear Static’s steady breathing, and he knew his friend was asleep. But the minutes slipped by and Jack remained awake. He was full of apprehension. His plan seemed sound, but he was unsure of what he would do. Assuming all went well, he’d be facing weeks, months, maybe even years of life by himself and Static, and hopefully a few more companions. He thought about how he would like to settle after a while and live a quiet life with his Pokémon, training them to be the absolute best they could be.

And just as silently as the minutes slipped by, so too did Jack slip into sleep, dreaming of himself standing on a lone cliff overlooking the ocean, a breeze whipping through his long brown hair, and a large, muscular Electric-type Pokémon stood next to him, covered in coarse, shaggy yellow fur with black patches.

END

Here’s a list of everything that was changed.

• The scene with Jack in school was added. This was to expand on Jack’s past, making him an even more dynamic character. It shows that while he is tremendously skilled in battling, it isn’t his favorite thing to do.
  • Rather than a simple chess game, Static is shown playing a Playstation3, portraying him as very human-like. It also helps show that Jack is quite an ordinary teenager who plays video games in his free time.
  • The discussion between Jack and Elliot is expanded to allow for more foreshadowing and backstory. It introduces the existence of Jack’s older brother and some of the motivation behind Elliot’s stubbornness.
  • There is some more detail added to the packing scene which serves to explain some of how the Pokémon Training sport is practiced. To make it more realistic, in order to become an underage trainer, you have to have some classes taken, hence the certificates.
  • Probably the biggest change is Jack’s age. While he was originally 15, I bumped him up a year. This is both for making his registration alone more believable and for making him seem a little more capable of handling what is to come. I was 15 when I began writing, and at the time is seemed like a pretty mature age. But now I’m nearing 18 and I can see that 15 is still a bit young.

So there's the new chapter, hope you enjoyed it.

Jack ;466;

Lone--Wanderer

...is a hack.
:D

Interesting. I like your writing style; it's simple, with no pointless flambouyance to anything. Easy to read.

Hee hee, I can understand why ol' Surge would be mad that his son wants to be a Breeder. But really, he just needs to learn to take his head out of his butt once in awhile and give it some air to think with.

XD

Keep up the good work!

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
XD Thanks for reading Wanderer.

About Surge, I was going for a father who wants his son to be like him. Problem is, Jack doesn't want to. While Elliot Surge, who is Lt. Surge's younger brother, is strict, appropriate, and tough, Jack is more layed back and softer. And yes, he does need to get his head out of his butt. XD

Anyways, although this chapter wasn't action packed, it serves as an introductory to the story. And also, Jack, who's 15, has had this arguement with his dad for a few years.

Enough with my talk, chapter two should be here within the week, and that's when some cool stuff happens.

One last note-- Even though this story seems to be leading to a journey across Kanto, it doesn't. You'll have to find out why, but just know that. Thanks!

Jack ;466;

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Yay, another reviewer! Thanks for reading, Griff.

I'm sorry to say this, but chap. 2 might be delayed as I am having problems with microsoft word. It's still coming, but it might take another week or so. Sorry about that. XP

Jack ;466;

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
thats cool, ill prolly keep reading

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Wow. This is a great fic, you don't even realise you're just reading it. It's like a movie playing in your head.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
*sniff* Wow, so many people have read it... Thank you all for reading it, I assure you chapter two will be better. I started typing it last night, since by computer problems were sorted out, but I was gone all today, so maybe I'll stay up and work some more. Now that so many people have seen chap one, I've got some pressure...

Stardan

Moohahaha
Me love ur a great writer
;475;OUT

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Here's the revamp, hope you like it. ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Two - Escape
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-THUNK.

Jack massaged his hand, groaning at the alarm clock he had just assaulted. He noticed the time and groaned again, wishing he could sleep in.

<Jack, let’s go!> Static said, pulling off the blanket. He bounced on the bed, trying to wake Jack up.

Stifling a yawn, Jack pushed himself into a sitting position and switched on the lamp on his nightstand. “I hate mornings. . .” he grumbled.

Static hopped off the bed and looked at him expectantly. Jack glanced up at him. “Alright, alright.” He stood up and stretched before going into the bathroom. He stared at his sleepy expression in the mirror and splashed water in his face to wake himself up. After relieving himself, he went back into his room to change into his jeans and t-shirt. Static was waiting with his backpack. Jack took it and gathered the items he had left on his nightstand. He tied on his shoes and stood up. Everything prepared, he threw a fleeting look around his room, thinking it would be a very long time before he ever saw it again, if he did decide to come back.

Together, Jack and Static crept out of their room and down the stairs, skirting alongside the walls to prevent the floor from squeaking. Now in the kitchen, Jack laid his pack on the island counter and went to the pantry. He salvaged a few stacks of crackers and four bottles of water. He jammed them into his pack.

“We’ll have to buy more later,” he whispered to Static, who was looking disdainfully at the meager rations.

Suddenly, they heard a creak from the ceiling. Frantically, they pulled the pack off the island and ducked behind it. Jack could hear his heart pounding in his chest, and he struggled to breathe slowly. After two painful minutes, they heard the toilet upstairs flush. A few more creaks, and then all was quiet.

<That was close,> Static whispered, letting his muscles relax. Jack breathed a sigh of relief, but his breath caught in his throat as he heard another voice.

<Yes it was, though I had already known it would not affect you.> A green creature was standing next to them, staying unnaturally still. It was about five feet tall and had a round head perched on a column-like body. Two white wings were folded around it, and two red eye-shaped patterns stared blankly out from its chest. The bird-creature was one of Jessica’s Pokémon; a Xatu.

“Totem!” Jack hissed. “What’re you doing?”

The rigid Pokémon spoke without moving his beak. <I was meditating when I felt your disruption. Do not worry, I will not tell my master about you.> Totem, being able to see the future, had known what Jack would ask before Jack could even open his mouth.

“Well, um, thanks,” Jack murmured, feeling slightly awkward.

The Xatu made no sign of hearing Jack. After a few uncomfortable seconds, Jack turned to leave.

<There is a storm coming.> Jack glanced back at Totem.

“What?”

<There is a storm coming. It does not seem as if you will stay dry.>

Jack frowned. The weathermen had predicted sun all week. “Literally or figuratively?” Jack asked. Totem just stared blankly into space, showing no more signs of life than a rock.

Puzzled Jack turned again to leave. He quietly opens the front door and he and Static walk out into the cool morning air.

The sun was just beginning to rise, and just over the trees and houses Jack could see its light. As the two walked in silence along the road, Jack absorbed all the beauty and majestic quiet of the morning. A few cars drove by, and Jack saw a couple of the drivers look at him. Must be odd, he thought, to see a teenager and a Pokémon walking around on the side of the road at this hour.

They arrived at the closest bus stop and sat down on a bench to wait. Jack took out his iPod and listened to music while Static fell asleep at his side. The bus finally came half an hour later, and gently waking Static, Jack boarded. He paid the fare, found a seat in the back, and settled down, again put the buds in his ears and let the music absorb him. Static fell asleep again, and with a jolt the bus began driving, stopping at a few intervals before finding the highway that led to Cherrygrove. Jack rested his head on the glass window, gazing out at the bleak stretch of forest that continued on for miles.

It was about an hour later when the bus jumbled into the small city of Cherrygrove. Known primarily for it’s abundance of cherry trees, it was also the second largest port city in Johto. However, unlike the boisterous city of Olivine, Cherrygrove wasn’t much of a tourist magnet. Most of the ships that docked there were cargo ships or ferries providing cheap transportation across the border.

The bus slowed and jolted to a stop at the first stop in the city. Jack woke Static again and put his iPod away. He stood up, taking Static and setting him on his shoulders to keep him from the many feet that were now making their way off the bus. Jack stepped out onto the pavement and stretched, his muscles stiff from the long ride. The other departing passengers dispersed, going their own way. The bus closed its doors and slowly pulled away, leaving Jack and Static alone.

“Alright, we should find the nearest Pokémon Center and pick up a map,” Jack said to Static. He set off down the sidewalk, passing the occasional commuter or jogger. After a few minutes of walking, he stopped and asked for directions from a man in a business suit.

“Excuse me, sir. Do you know where the Pokémon Center is?”

The man frowned and studied him disapprovingly. “Do I look like I should know?” Jack mumbled something and turned to go, but the man spoke in an exasperated tone. “Go down three blocks and turn left. It should be at the end of the street.”

“Thanks,” Jack said gratefully, and the man nodded and continued on. Jack followed the directions and soon found himself standing in front of the cement building. It was two stories high and displayed a large neon Pokéball above its sliding glass doors. Windows lined the walls on both stories. Jack passed through the doors and surveyed the lobby. As it was only around 7:00, there were few people up and about.

Pokémon Centers were facilities paid for by the Pokémon League Association, the highest authority in any Pokémon related activity. The Centers served dual purposes; they were both infirmaries for injured Pokémon and hotels for registered trainers. Since the Centers were paid for by the PLA, anyone with a valid trainer ID received free services from the Center. If you did not have a valid ID, the services required payment.

Jack wasn’t in need of any services other than finding a map of the city, so after scanning the lobby he located what he was looking for. Among stacks of brochures advertising vacations or upcoming tournaments was a stack of foldable maps. Jack picked one up and unfolded it. He found the Pokémon Center and traced a path to the docks where a ferry could pick them up.

Before leaving, he stopped at a vending machine and bought two candy bars. He gave one to Static, who now opted to walk by himself. Static hungrily tore open the wrapper and gnawed on the chocolate.

Following the map wasn’t too hard, and after fifteen minutes of walking, the dock was in sight. A small square building guarded the wooden dock where the ferry would stop. Much to Jack’s dismay, he saw a boat sailing off to the east, only 200 yards or so from the dock.

“Aw crap, we just missed a ferry,” Jack moaned. He and Static walked the rest of the way to the building. They entered the small space, occupied by only one man, standing behind the counter, looking slightly apprehensive.

“Can I help you?” he asked gruffly, looking Jack up and down.

“Yeah, uh, do you have a list of times for the ferries?” Jack asked.

The man’s eyes flitted nervously over the opposite wall for a brief second. “Naw, we had to take it down ’cause we’re changin’ the times.” He licked his lips. “The next ferry should be in at about 10:00.”

“Okay,” Jack said. “I’ll take a ticket for that one.”

The man gave him the price and Jack fished through his wallet for the necessary cash. He exchanged it for the ticket and thanked the man, and then walked back outside to wait on a bench.

Static hopped up next to Jack and looked at Jack expectantly.

<Jack, I’m still hungry.>

Jack looked down at Static. “Fine, you can have some crackers.” He pulled out a stack of crackers from his backpack and opened it, grabbing a few crackers before giving the rest to Static.

Static gratefully accepted the food and wolfed down the crackers as fast as he could. After only several seconds, the crackers were gone and Static felt satisfied.

<Water, please,> Static demanded, holding out his hand. Jack rolled his eyes and fished out a plastic water bottle from his pack. He chucked it at Static, who tore off the top and gulped it down.

Jack leaned back and gazed into the sky, his mind feeling restless. His plan seemed simple and flawless, and chances were he would be in Viridian sometime tomorrow. From there he could do what he pleased. . . . Jack knew that he wouldn’t have a very hard time making money. Trainers would always bet on matches, and the prize money from tournaments and official matches was always a lot. He was an excellent strategist and Static was very skilled, despite his small stature.

Jack was woken from his thoughts when Static hurled the empty bottle at his head.

<Finished.> Static grinned mischievously.

“Static, why don’t you work on your Elemental Punches?” Jack suggested, trying to ignore Static’s little cry for attention.

Static’s expression changed to one of surprise. <Good idea. I’ve already mastered Thunder Punch.> Static held out one arm and clenched it. Crackling yellow electricity crawled around his thick forearm. Static held the position for a minute before he let the light disperse.

“That’s excellent, Static,” Jack said, a small smile of pride playing at the corners of his mouth. “How about Ice Punch?”

Static frowned and concentrated hard. Around his outstretched arm, the air turned cold, and small ice crystals formed on his fur. The frosty air disappeared after ten seconds. Static groaned with disappointment as he brushed the ice off his arm.

<I can’t hold that for nearly as long as I should be able to. . .> He looked dejectedly at the ground.

“Well, keep practicing. You’ll get there,” Jack said, giving Static a brief smile.

The next few hours were passed with Static practicing his Punches. A few people settled down on the other benches, themselves waiting for the ferry. At 9:45, the boat arrived at the dock. It was rusted in places and looked rather old. A gangplank was lowered, and Jack, Static, and the other people made their way onto the boat. The upper deck had rows of hard plastic benches for passengers, covered by a shoddy roof. Jack and Static shuffled along towards the back. They picked a bench on the left, two rows from the back. They settled down into the seat and looked around.

“Not exactly a luxury cruise ship, is it?” Jack said dryly. Static chuckled a bit. At 10:00, the gangplank was raised and the boat’s engine revved, propelling them away from the dock. A couple of people settling into a seat a few rows up caught Jack’s eye. He could see the backs of their heads. The taller one had a flaming red afro, and the smaller one had silky green hair, hanging straight around his head. Jack wondered who the odd people could be, but as it would be rude to get up and look at them, he dismissed his curiosity.

Jack looked out the window and gazed at the ocean stretching out to the horizon. The sun was well up into the sky and its light reflected off the water, giving it a smooth, glossy look. The weather was very fine, and the waves were gentle. As he was admiring the view, Jack became aware of a noise near the side of the ferry. His window was glass, so he couldn’t get a good angle, but he caught sight of a couple small dinghies floating beside the ferry. From what he could see there were crates that were being moved into an opening to a lower level of the boat. Jack frowned. What could they possibly need to load into the ship in such an odd manner? He dismissed the thought, reminding himself he didn’t know very much of boats or sailing. Pretty soon, the dinghies moved away from the ferry and out of Jack’s line of sight. The engine of the ferry started the gangplank was raised. Jack felt a stab of excitement; there was no turning back.

As the boat pulled away from Cherrygrove, Jack stared out the window at the rolling waves and let his thoughts wander. I’m on my way to Kanto, he thought. In an hour of two, I’ll be in Pallet. From there, I’ll move on to Viridian and begin my journey. . .

Without warning, Jack felt his vision go black and flash into a scene, but everything looked as if he was wearing violet lenses. A horrid screeching rang in his ears, blocking out the sound of the ocean. He realized he was looking at his kitchen. His parents were standing there, talking to a police officer. The image blurred and morphed into one of the same officer in his patrol car. He was speaking into his radio. Jack’s vision blurred again, and he found himself staring out at a town from the window of the boat. It wasn’t Cherrygrove. His vision blurred again, and he saw himself sitting on a park bench, watching as a girl talked with three tall shady looking men. Again it blurred, and he saw himself in a dark cave, with the daylight shining in from an entrance in the distance. It faded, and his vision was black again. The screeching had stopped, and he became aware of his surroundings. He was on the floor, and his eyes were closed.

<Jack, get up,> Static’s voice said. Jack opened his eyes and saw Static crouched in front of his face, a worried look on his face. Jack then realized that there were other people staring at him. He scrambled to his feet and sat back down, trying to ignore the eyes on him.

“What happened?” he muttered to Static.

“Fell out of your seat, bro,” someone said. Jack looked around and saw the man with the red afro sitting next to him. On the other side of the man was the teenager with green hair.

Jack frowned. He knew this person. He had seen him before. And then it hit him.

“Flint!?”

“Shh!” Flint said franticly, glancing around. “I don’t need to be found out.”

Jack was astonished. This was Flint Ooba, one of the Sinnoh region’s Elite Four. He was one of the most accomplished trainers in the region.

“So you must be Aaron,” Jack whispered to the green-haired teen. Aaron was another Elite from Sinnoh, almost as famous as Flint.

“Yep,” Aaron said, giving a small smile.

“What exactly are you doing here?” Jack asked, still thoroughly stunned.

“Can’t say, top secret and stuff,” Flint replied with a grin. “So you know our names. What’s yours?”

“Oh, sorry, my name’s Jack,” Jack stuttered. “Jack Surge.”

Flint paused for a brief second, and then leaned forward to look at Static. “And is this your Elekid?”

<My name’s Static, and I’m the strongest Elekid in the world!> Static boasted, puffing out his chest.

“Are you now?” Flint said, an amused smirk on his face. “Can you use Fire Punch?”

<. . .What?>

“Well, I would think the greatest Elekid could use my favorite type, but oh well.” Flint put his arms behind his head.

<I wasn’t born with the move, so I can’t use it, alright?> Static muttered darkly.

Flint looked sideways at Static. “Would you like to learn?”

“You can do that?” Jack asked, frowning.

Flint grinned. “I happen to have a special item that should allow you to learn it, Static.” He rolled up the sleeve of his overcoat and revealed two black bands on his wrist. They began to expand, like molten lava, covering his hand. When it had formed into the shape of a glove, it became still.

Aaron leaned forward, looking apprehensively at the other passengers. “Flint, what are you doing?”

“Chill out, Aaron. It’s cool, nobody can see us.”

“You shouldn’t be doing this. You don’t even know this guy,” he muttered, crossing his arms and sitting back against the seat.

“It’s alright, he’s cool. Isn’t that right, Jack Surge?” Flint gave a sly smile to Aaron before turning to Jack. Aaron furrowed his eyebrows, as if he had suddenly realized something.

“So Static, come here for a second,” Flint said. Static hopped over and stood on the seat next to Flint. Slowly, Flint put the coated hand on Static’s head. The material began to glow a faint red, and Static shivered. After several seconds of contact, Flint removed his hand and pushed down his sleeve.

“Did that teach him Fire Punch?” Jack asked quietly.

Static held up a fist. He closed his eyes and concentrated hard. And then, a flame appeared around his fist. Shocked, Static gave a start and the flame dissipated. He stared at his hand, his fanged mouth hanging open in disbelief. <I can use Fire Punch.>

“Incredible . . .” Jack said, amazed at Static’s new power.

“Anything for a friend.” He grinned and leaned back in his seat, apparently pleased with himself.

“Flint, exactly what was that?” Jack asked, nodding towards Flint’s arm.

“Sorry bro, can’t tell you. It’s a one-of-a-kind item, and I’d rather not say. I’d appreciate it if you’d keep it secret too.” He winked at Jack.

Jack nodded and leaned back against the seat. “So Static, looks like you’ve got something new to practice,” he remarked, giving Static a grin.

<Yeah,> Static murmured. He stared hard at his hand, trying to make the flames stay.

“So Jack,” Flint said, leaning back in his seat, “what brings you to this ferry on such a fine day?”

Jack bit his lip and averted his eyes. “I left home.”

Flint sat up, clearly interested. “Oh? And for what reason?”

Jack stared at the floor. “I want to prove to my dad that I can be successful doing things my way instead of his.”

Flint gave him a mischievous grin. “Breaking the mold, then, eh?”

“Kinda.”

“What interests you the most in the field of Pokémon then?” Flint asked.

Jack stared at the floor. “I’d like to be a breeder, but I wouldn’t get paid very much,” he mumbled. “I’m decent at battling, but it’s not exactly my thing.”

“I can understand. There’re a lot of complex strategies and details you have to have memorized in order to survive as a pro battler,” Flint said knowingly.

“It isn’t the strategies that get me,” Jack explained. “I, well, actually. . .I was the top of my class in Battle Tactics this year.”

Flint’s eyes widened in surprise and Aaron turned to look at Jack, clearly impressed. “That’s quite a feat, considering the difficulty of even getting into a Pokémon Academy,” Aaron remarked.

“So you know your stuff then,” Flint said. “You understand the concept of lures, right?”

“Of course,” Jack answered. “In order to execute the strategy of your team, you train a Pokémon that would attract the kinds of Pokémon that would give your team trouble. However, you train that Pokémon in a way that lets it overcome or incapacitate the problematic Pokémon, effectively clearing the path for the other members of your team.”

“Very good, you’ve been taught well,” Flint said with a grin.

After nearly an hour of discussion over various strategies, the town of Pallet could be seen off in the distance. Aaron was still gazing out the window, looking slightly puzzled. After a few minutes, he got to his feet, now looking worried.

“Flint, the boat’s not turning towards Pallet.”

Flint stopped and looked out the window. His smile disappeared and his face became expressionless. “I knew it. Jack, Static; stay here.” He walked out into the isle, with Aaron right behind him. Curious, Jack followed them with his eyes as they made their way to the cabin. Right as they reached it, the door swung open and a man stood in its frame, a handgun pointed directly at Flint’s forehead.

Jack’s heart skipped a beat. He watched in horror as four men walked out into the isle from the behind the man with gun. Each held an AK-47 assault rifle. Jack recognized one of the men as the jumpy man who had sold him his ticket.

“Hands on your heads, all of you,” the man with the handgun growled, advancing on Flint, who started backpedaling. The men carrying the AK-47s began inspecting the frightened passengers, looking for anything that could be a threat.

Jack sat frozen in his seat. He could hardly believe what was happening. Why would there be a group of thugs with guns running a ferry service? What could they be hoping to accomplish?

“We don’t need any heroes today,” the man with the handgun told the passengers. “We would appreciate your full cooperation. Nobody has to get hurt.”

Static crouched beside Jack, his narrow black eyes darting around, his muscles ready to react to whatever might happen. One of the men approached him, his grip tight around the gun.

“Put the Pokémon in its Ball and hand it over.” His eyes moved back and forth between Jack and Static. “If you cooperate, you’ll get him back when we’re done.”

Jack felt himself shaking. He couldn’t turn Static over, but he couldn’t think of anything else to do.

<Jack, let me handle this,> Static murmured, not taking his eyes off the man. <Just hand me to him.>

The man aimed his gun at Static. “What did it say?” he demanded.

Jack realized the man couldn’t understand Pokéspeech. “He uh, he said he has to pee,” Jack stuttered, his heart pounding in his chest.

A toothy grin broke across the man’s face, and he lowered his gun a bit. “Well, that’s just too bad. Now hand it over.”

Jack picked up Static and held him out for the man. As the man reached for Static, Static murmured, <Grab the gun.> Confused, Jack glanced at the AK-47. The man grabbed Static, and at the same moment, he let out a cry of shock. Both Static and the gun dropped to the floor as the man stumbled back, his face contorted into a grimace. At the moment Static touched the floor, he sprung forward with lightning speed, slamming into the man and spending him sprawling out on the floor, completely unconscious. Jack realized what Static had meant and scrambled to pick up the AK-47 that had been dropped. He heard the other men shout and he clutched the grip and muzzle of the rifle, not completely processing that he could very well be forced to use it to defend himself. He looked out from around the side of the seat and saw Static attack a second man as a yellow blur, sending the man to the ground.

Jack heard a cry of shock from near Flint and swiveled his head to see what had happened. Flint had trapped the arm of the leader and aimed the gun at the two remaining men. Two shots rang out and the men crumpled, dead before they hit the ground. Flint then swung his elbow back into the man’s face, smashing his nose and knocking him out. He kicked the gun out of the unconscious man’s hand and drew his own handgun from within his coat. Aaron had also drawn a gun from inside his jacket.

Panicked whispered rushed through the passengers, and Jack stared in disbelief. Three men unconscious and two dead, all in a matter of seconds. He realized he was still crouched behind the seat. He pushed himself up, his legs feeling jelly. Static walked over, still alert and ready to attack.

<Are you okay?> Static asked, looking up at Jack.

“Um, wha—yeah, are you okay?” Jack said, stumbling over the words. “You just attacked two guys with guns!”

Static gave Jack a grin, his yellow fangs glinting. <I know. That was Quick Attack. It makes me feel like a ninja.>

Jack laughed weakly. They had almost died, and Static was thinking about being a ninja. Shaking the thought, Jack approached Flint and Aaron.

“Jack, are you okay?” Flint asked, looking Jack up and down.

“I’m fine, Flint,” Jack said, trying to keep his voice calm. “What’s happening?”

“We suspected this vessel would be used to transport weapons to a small terrorist group located in Kanto. That’s why Aaron and I are here. To ensure that the weapons don’t reach them.”

Jack stared at Flint. “I thought you were a Pokémon trainer? How do you know how to disarm a guy like that?”

Flint closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. “Jack, Aaron and I aren’t just trainers. I can’t give you the details, but I assure you we’re here to help,” Flint said in a hushed voice. “I’ve had training, and that’s how I could do that. Now we’re still in danger, and I need to speak to the passengers.” He turned to Aaron. “Alert HQ.”

“Already have,” Aaron answered. He watched the door to the cabin with wary eyes.

“Okay, I need everybody’s attention!” Flint called out to the passengers. The whispers stopped and the people gave Flint their undivided attention. “This boat is currently being held by a group of terrorists. I’m here with my partner to prevent anything bad from happening to you, but in order for that to happen, I need you all to stay calm.” He looked at a frightened woman sitting with her son, who couldn’t be more than six. Flint gave them a comforting smile. “Ma’am, do you have a cell phone?”

“Y-yes,” she whispered, her eyes still wide with fear.

“Everything will be okay,” Flint said. “I need you to contact the police. Let them know we are a few miles off the coast of Pallet, heading due east. Can you do that for me?”

The woman nodded and fumbled around in her purse to find her phone.

“Now, by a show of hands, how many of you have any experience with a gun?” Two men, one in his early thirties and the other looking to be over forty, raised their hands. “I am not forcing you into this, but if you are willing, take two of the AKs. If something were to happen, you could help save lives.” The men nodded and picked up the guns off the floor.

Flint turned to Jack and Static. “I need you two to stay here and help defend the passengers. I know how hard this may seem, but if you have Surge blood in you, I’m sure you’ll be able to do what you have to.”

Jack nodded and gripped his rifle harder.

“Alright Aaron, let’s go.” Flint and Aaron turned and crept into the cabin, their guns raised and ready.

As the two disappeared, the passengers resumed whispering with panicked voices. The two other men with guns drifted over to Jack and Static.

“Alright, son?” the older one asked Jack, giving him an encouraging smile.

“Y-yeah, I think so,” Jack replied, desperately trying to keep his voice steady.

“Those guys,” said the younger man, “they really seem to know how to handle this.”

Jack nodded in agreement, deciding it was best not to try and talk. He looked at the open doorway that led into the cabin. Were Flint and Aaron still alive? Or could they have killed the rest of the crew? Jack gave a start when he heard gunshots from below the deck. The passengers grew silent as the fight below ensued. Jack could only hope that the two Elites would survive.

He heard a creaking sound and he looked behind him. For a second he didn’t understand what was happening, but horror soon spread throughout his body. There had been a trapdoor in the floor of the upper deck, and from it came a man with an AK-47. One of the passengers gave a shout and the two men turned around, lifting their guns. The crew member squeezed the trigger and shot off a short burst of bullets, and Jack stared in shock as the younger man collapsed. The older man took advantage of the situation and shot his own rifle, catching the man in the chest. He gave a strangled cry as he fell back, landing with a muffled thud on the floor. The older man bent to examine his younger comrade. Jack couldn’t move. He stared at the body of the younger man and realized that the rises and falls of his chest meant he was still alive. There were two wounds in his lower abdomen, but from what Jack had learned in school, he wasn’t in mortal danger.

“Don’t anybody move, or I’ll shoot.” The voice caught Jack in the chest like a knife. He turned his own gun around and aimed it at the man who now stood over the dead crew member’s body. He held a handgun, aimed straight at the old man. “Get on your feet and put your hands where I can see them.” The old man slowly stood up, holding his hands up in surrender. The crew member glanced at Jack. “Drop the gun, or I’ll shoot.”

“Don’t,” whispered the old man. Jack stared with frightened eyes at the crew member. He wanted to drop the gun so the old man wouldn’t get shot, but he couldn’t feel his own fingers.

“I said drop it!” growled the man, glaring at Jack.

Jack remained frozen, unable to move, even as his head screamed to drop the gun.

The handgun swung towards Jack. “I said drop—!” Five shots rang out, instantly followed by the shattering of glass and the crunch of holes being torn through the wall. Jack stared in utter horror as the crew member with the handgun slumped backwards. With dreadful realization, Jack understood that it was he who shot the bullets and killed the man. Without realizing it, he had pulled the trigger and released the lethal pieces of metal that burrowed themselves into the flesh of the enemy and stole the very life from him.

Everyone was silent, but even if they had been screaming, the pounding in Jack’s head would have blocked it out. All he could hear was the fast thumping of his heart as it pounded the blood into Jack’s head. He tasted bile in his mouth and turned away from the old man and Static and vomited on the floor. The very thought of what he had done repulsed him. He felt like he was stained, tainted by the blood that oozed out of the man he had shot. Surely he would die, because how could he live with this on his conscience? He was marked, maybe not visibly, but he was a killer now.

<Jack. . .> Static mumbled, looking worriedly at his trainer.

The old man put his hand on Jack’s shoulder. “It’s okay, son. You’ll be alright.” Jack looked up at him, searching the aging face. He nodded stiffly, not altogether in agreement, but thankful for the comment nonetheless. “Go ahead and sit down.” Jack sat, resting his forearms on his thighs and hanging his head. He tried to steady his breathing and calm himself.

He heard footsteps coming from inside and glanced up as Flint and Aaron jogged in. Flint’s eyes swept the seats, assessing the situation. “Is everyone alright?”

“We have one man down, two shots to the gut, but they shouldn’t be lethal,” the older man said. He was now holding a shirt against the man’s stomach to staunch the blood flow. Flint nodded and walked over to the lady who had called the authorities.

“Ma’am, are you still with the police?”

“Yes,” she answered, looking up hesitantly.

“Tell them to send out the Coast Guard with a medical team. We have one civilian with two bullet wounds to the abdomen.” The women nodded and gave the dispatcher the information.

Flint strode over to Jack and sat down beside him. “Hanging in there?”

Jack nodded.

Flint frowned and cocked his head. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost or something.”

“I-I shot—” Jack couldn’t finish his sentence. Flint glanced at the old man on the floor, who nodded at the dead crew member Jack had shot.

Flint smiled grimly. “It’s alright. You did it naturally. Almost anyone would have done the same thing in your position.”

Jack looked at Flint quizzically.

“It’s for the same reason an ordinary person can kill on the battlefield without it killing him inside. When you see your comrade get shot,” Flint indicated the younger man, “and the gun turns to you, you will do whatever you can to avoid the same situation, even if it means taking a life.” Jack gave a small nod.

“You aren’t a bad person Jack, and protecting yourself isn’t something you should be ashamed of. I’m not saying you shouldn’t feel anything, but don’t think badly of yourself because you shot him, alright?” Flint clapped Jack on the shoulder. Jack looked at Flint’s fiery brown eyes and the red afro that framed his face. He felt a wave of gratitude towards Flint and managed a smile.

“Thanks.”

Flint grinned wide and stood up. Aaron approached him, giving Jack a weary smile before focusing on Flint. “HQ has a chopper dispatched for us. It should arrive outside of Pallet in approximately thirty minutes.”

“Great news. Let’s get this boat turned around. Aaron, you drive, and I’ll handle the authorities when they come.”

An hour later, Jack walked down the gangplank onto the dock at Pallet. Static trailed after him, uncharacteristically silent after the events on the ferry. Flint and Aaron were speaking with the local police, sorting out all the details. From what Flint had explained, until the crew was proven to be the source of the violence, Flint and Aaron were responsible for the deaths of several people. But after the officials saw the large shipment of firearms and explosives in the lower deck and listening to the passengers give testimonies to prove Flint and Aaron were only protecting them, the police were okay with letting them go.

Jack stood on the edge of the dock, staring at the water below. It rose and fell with each gentle wave, breaking against the pillars that held up the dock. He had been gone from home less than twenty-four hours and already he had more than enough adventure. Jack wondered what would have happened if he had missed this ferry. He wouldn’t have had to kill that crew member, but then again, he did meet Flint Ooba and Aaron Ryou. Not everyone could say they’ve met two of the greatest trainers in Sinnoh, so he guessed he should be thankful for that. But if he could have chosen, he would rather have been on a different ferry. The thought of taking that man’s life made him feel sick.

Someone walked up next to him, and the flaming red hair let Jack know it was Flint. “Well Jack, it’s been quite a day.”

Jack smiled slightly. “Yeah.”

Flint put his hands behind his head and looked up at the sky. The sun was now well on it’s way through the afternoon, and it was currently resting among a few wispy clouds. “You’ll be alright, I know you will. You’ve just got to listen to some wise words from an American band.”

“Hmm?”

“‘Even when your hope is gone, move along; move along, just to make it through.’” Flint looked down at Jack with a smile. “Life’s to short to live in the past. You only get one shot, so make it a good one.” Flint clapped Jack on the shoulder. “Yes?”

Jack grinned. “Yes.”

“’Atta boy. Well, Aaron and I have to leave.” Flint held out his hand. “See you around, bro.”

Jack clasped Flint’s hand. “See you around.” Flint crouched down and stuck his fist out at Static.

“Bump it,” he said, and Static bumped his own knuckles against Flint’s. Flint grinned and stood up. “Later Jack.”

Jack watched as Flint found Aaron and strode off down the dock, away from the boat, and away from Jack. Though he had only known Flint for a few hours, Jack already felt as if he was a close friend. Jack brushed his brown hair off his face and turned to Pallet. “Let’s go, Static. We need to find a place to stay.”

The pair walked up the dock and into Pallet. The town was very small indeed; it held only one supermarket and very few office buildings rose more than two stories. The houses were intermixed among the city, with a few small neighborhoods branching off on the outskirts. From what Jack knew from his studies, Pallet really only had one reason for existence; Samuel Oak, one of the highest authorities on Pokémon and a genius Pokémon Biologist, specializing in Pokémon behavior. Other than Oak’s lab, the only other notable detail being that it was the hometown of Oak’s grandson, Green Oak, who at fifteen became the youngest Champion of the Kanto/Johto Pokémon League ever.

After meandering through the town, Jack located the only hotel. Much to his dismay, however, the price of a room was more than he was willing to pay. “Looks like we’ll be camping for the night,” Jack mumbled to Static as they exited the hotel.

<That shouldn’t be too bad. It’ll be our first time camping like real trainers!> Static said excitedly.

Jack didn’t feel quite as thrilled and gave Static a pained smile. “Well, we need some supplies from the supermarket first.”

Locating the supermarket wasn’t very difficult; it was the largest building in the town. Upon approaching the automatic doors, Jack saw a sign with an ‘X’ over a Pokéball, indicating that Pokémon weren’t allowed. “Sorry Static, looks like you’re gonna have to wait in you Pokéball.” Jack took out the black, red, and gold Luxury Ball.

<I hate you,> Static grumbled, giving Jack an annoyed look.

Jack knew Static was only annoyed at the store, so he gave him a grin and pushed the button on the Pokéball, causing it to open and turn Static into pure energy form and contain him inside.

Jack shrunk the Luxury Ball and stuffed it into his pocket as he entered the supermarket. He took a few steps forward and stopped, reading the signs above the isles. With a sinking feeling, Jack realized that he hadn’t prepared for this at all, and was at a loss as to what he needed. He had expected to make have a place to stay in Pallet and visit the Pokémart in Viridian for all his equipment. Looking very unsure of himself, he made his way to the dry foods isle. He grabbed a box of crackers and continued through the store until he found the bottled water. He grabbed a few bottles and headed for the registers, hoping that the food would suffice until he reached Viridian.

As he purchased his items, he wondered if he would have enough of an income to last his journey. The Kanto and Johto regions, along with Hoenn and Sinnoh, used a currency very close to the American currency of dollars. Like America, each note was called a dollar, but they were represented by the symbol “§.” Jack had saved §500 when he decided to leave, and he figured, factoring in the registration fee for his license, he would be able to last a month. With Pokémon Centers, he’d have free lodging and meals, but he’d have to buy food for the road, along with supplies for training Pokémon. Trainers usually bet on matches, but only the very serious ones bet enough to make a decent profit, and some sore losers refuse to pay up if they lose. Other than betting on matches, you could enter tournaments, which were held often in the various towns across the region. They ranged from official PLA tournaments to unofficial tournaments sponsored by various corporations such as the Silph Company, the largest manufacturer of trainer equipment in the regions. They had invented the molecular conversion technology that was used in Pokéballs, making them one of the most revolutionary organizations of the modern world.

Jack carried the bag out of the store and extracted the Luxury Ball from his pocket. He pushed the button in the center and Static materialized in front of him.

<Stupid store,> Static grumbled, scratching one of his yellow prongs. <So what’d you get?>

“Crackers and water,” Jack answered pathetically. “I don’t want to waste too much money.”

Static muttered something Jack didn’t hear and followed his master away from the supermarket.

“We’ll have to find some place to camp for the night,” Jack muttered as he passed cars in the parking lot. “I wish there was a cheap place to stay.”

“Excuse me,” a voice said from behind Jack. He turned to see a lady putting groceries into the trunk of her car. “Are you looking for a place to stay?”

Jack opened his mouth, trying to untie his tongue. The sudden conversation with a stranger surprised him, and he tried to find the words. “Um, we were just—camping,” he stuttered awkwardly.

The lady smiled kindly. “Are you a Pokémon Trainer?”

“Um, yeah. Well, actually not yet. I was going to go to Viridian to get my license,” Jack explained. “Static was given to me by my father.”

“If you need a place to stay, you can stay at my house. We have a guest room that never gets used.”

Jack bit his lip. Stay with a complete stranger? The woman had just met him. Although, she didn’t look like she meant ill. “I really don’t want to intrude. I’ll be fine just camping. . .”

“No, you’ll come stay with us,” she said resolutely. “There’s no need for you to stay out in the elements when I have a guest room that hasn’t been used in forever.”

“Are you sure?” Jack asked, feeling trapped.

“Positive. Go ahead and get in the car, dear.”

Defeated, Jack walked around to the passenger seat and climbed in. Static hopped up and sat on his lap. <Are you sure about this?> Static whispered, looking warily at the woman putting the remaining groceries into the trunk.

“No, but I don’t think we have a choice,” Jack admitted. He fastened his seatbelt as the woman sat down in the driver’s seat. She started up the car and pulled out of the lot and onto the street, apparently headed for home.

As they passed through the town, Jack examined the lady. She had wavy, copper brown hair, reaching past her shoulders. Her face was relatively tan, most likely due to days at the beach. He could tell she was closer to forty than thirty, yet she looked very young. Bizarre thoughts swirling inside Jack’s head were calmed slightly at the sight of a ring on her left ring finger. At least she was married. Jack had thought at first that she might have only wanted to take him home to sleep with him. Disgusting and horribly provocative as it was, Jack shook the thought from his head. No, she didn’t seem like the type. He prayed she was taking him into her home just out of the kindness of her heart.

It didn’t take long to reach her house, located in one of the small neighborhoods on the edge of town. She pulled up the driveway and turned the car off. They exited and Jack walked with her around to the back, Static trailing behind him.

“Lemme help you with the groceries,” Jack offered, feeling he should do as much as he could to make up for her allowing him to stay at her house.

“That would be wonderful, dear,” the lady replied, handing Jack a few bags.

<I can help too,> Static said. The lady looked down.

“I’m sorry, I’m not too good with Pokéspeech,” she said apologetically.

“He wants to help,” Jack translated.

“How sweet,” the lady said. She picked up a gallon of milk and handed it to him. “Think you can carry this?”

Static nodded and accepted the milk. Jack could tell he was struggling; the milk jug was half as big as Static. Nevertheless, Static was determined to show no signs of weakness and stood firm.

The woman closed the trunk and walked up to the front door. Jack and Static followed, and as she opened the door, she called into the house, “James, we have guests!”

“Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely have to get ready,” a voice came from another room.

Jack and Static followed their host to the kitchen where they put their groceries on the counter.

“I didn’t get your names, by the way,” the lady said, taking the milk from Static.

“Oh, I’m Jack. And this is Static,” he said.

“I’m Carey Migoto,” the woman said. “My husband’s name is James.”

“Well hello there!” the voice of James said from behind Jack. He looked around and was surprised at the man’s appearance.

While Carey seemed very young, James was the exact opposite. His hair was gray and receding, and he looked to be over fifty. He wore black-framed glasses with rectangular lenses and had a warm smile on his face.

“I’m James,” he said, holding out his hand. His voice was a little raspy and had a tone of relaxed content in it.

Jack took his hand. “I’m Jack, and this is Static.”

“Pleasure,” James said, smiling. “So, what brings you here? I didn’t agree to taking on a foster kid,” he said jokingly.

“Jack is going to get his trainer’s license in Viridian, but he needed a place to stay. We have an extra room. Why not?” Carey busied herself by putting the groceries away.

“Yes, why not?” James said in agreement, looking bemused. “So Jack, come, let’s sit down,” James said, motioning Jack into the sitting room adjacent to the kitchen. Jack and Static followed, sitting down on the brown leather couch across from James, who rested in a matching armchair.

Jack looked around the room, taking in his surroundings. It was a modest home, not very large, but very well decorated and completely immaculate. It could have been a model home, save one not-so-small detail; on the shelves, on the walls, and on tables, there were dozens of photographs. Some displayed serene settings; sunsets on the beach, grassy meadows with blooming wildflowers, and lush green forests, while others captured various species of Pokémon, whether in battle or in the wild. And among these were pictures of a family. The same three people, sometimes separate, sometimes together, at varying ages. Jack recognized Carey first, as she hardly looked different in every picture. Jack recognized James as the only male in the photos. Some showed him at a much younger age, with blond-brown hair styled in a windswept fashion. The third person was unfamiliar to Jack, but he assumed it was the daughter of James and Carey. She had hair like her father, a light brown, with just a hint of the copper shine her mother had. She had a smooth complexion, lightly tanned, but not as dark as her mother. Jack flushed as he thought that she looked quite attractive.

James watched Jack gaze at the pictures, and finally broke the silence. “I’m a photographer,” he explained, waving his hand across the room. I tried my luck as a trainer, but I found that I preferred to capture the beauty of nature, rather than use it for sport. Don’t get me wrong,” he said hastily, seeing the look on Jack’s face. “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Pokémon training. It just wasn’t my thing.”

“You’re very good,” Jack said, trying to keep the conversation going.

“Thank you.” James followed Jack’s eyes to a picture of the young girl, kneeling in the sand on the beach, holding a shell. “That’s my daughter, Megan. She’s about your age, I would say, maybe a year younger or so. She’s a new Pokémon trainer as well.”

Jack looked at James with interest. “Really?”

“Uh-huh. We actually took her to Viridian just yesterday to begin her journey. She’s planning to travel with her cousin from Saffron. Megan’s a little. . .too trusting, if you know what I mean. We wanted her to be with someone a little older.”

Jack nodded. “That makes sense.” He tried to think of something more to add, but came up blank.

“So, what’s your story? If you don’t mind me asking,” James added.

Jack shifted in his seat. He wanted to tell the truth, but he didn’t want to risk them trying to contact his parents. Franticly, he invented a story that would seem plausible. “Well, Static and I came from Violet, and we decided to register in Kanto rather than Johto. I’m originally from here, and my uncle lives in Vermillion.”

“I see. Are you planning on travelling by yourself?”

Jack looked down at Static. “Well, Static is old enough to help defend us if the need were to arise, so I think we’ll manage.”

James smiled. “I could tell your Elekid was pretty strong from when I first saw him. You’re lucky to have such a good companion.”

Jack put an arm around Static. “I am lucky.”

After a filling dinner of spaghetti and meatballs, Jack, James, and Carey talked for a while before showing Jack and Static up to the guest room. Once alone, Jack was left again to his thoughts. The memory of him killing the man on the boat came back in a gut-wrenching pang, and Jack threw himself into the bed, trying to breathe under the crushing weight of guilt he felt. He was a killer, and he hated himself for it. The soft bed and clean sheets he had hoped for were little comfort when he kept reliving that single moment on the boat when he squeezed the trigger, that single moment when he squeezed the life out of a living, breathing human being.

END

Here are the changes;

• There is a brief explanation on how Pokémon Centers are able to support themselves while providing free services to trainers.
  • Lorelei is written out of the chapter. She served only to introduce a side plot that saw no development and contributed nothing to the overall plot.
  • Flint is joined by Aaron on the ferry. This was to introduce Aaron’s character a bit earlier, but it also makes sense for Flint to have a partner during such an important mission.
  • The boat is given a more distinct purpose; whereas in the original it was merely under the control of the shady people and never really explained, it’s now clear that it was being used as a weapons transport.
  • Rather than being tackled out of a window and being forced to kill a man underwater, Jack instead uses an AK-47 to kill the man. This scene helps develop Jack more than the original. In the first scene, it would be more realistic for Jack to freak out and squirm rather than grab the gun and shoot the man. This one helps to portray Jack’s innocence; he didn’t consciously make the choice to kill.
  • Flint doesn’t use any Pokémon. While it may seem odd to remove the presence of Pokémon in a Pokémon fanfic, it gives a more serious tone to the chapter. It also builds Flint’s character. The act of him doing all the fighting with another human shows that there’s more to him than just Pokémon training.
  • In the Migotos' house, Burrow the Sandslash doesn’t make an appearance. His absence helps reinforce that James isn't absorbed in Pokémon anymore.

Thanks for reading!

Jack ;466;

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Thanks for reading futuramagirl. Did you like it better? I'm still not convinced that it was great, but I'm glad you liked it. I'll get going on chapter 3.

Jack ;466;

Lone--Wanderer

...is a hack.
Slightly odd chapter for some reason I can't explain, but the grammar and spelling was great I don't remember any errors, and, again, this was simple but interesting enough to read at any time I was going to get around to checking my PMs and actually finish it.

:D

Good work! I await chapter 3 eagerly.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Thanks for the review Wanderer.

I did think it was a bit odd, but chapter 3 will be a bit better with new people, new pokes, and new problems.

Jack ;466;

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
liveletlove Mix -- I think you have the wrong thread. Lisha is Zadros' character from his fic "Looking to the Sky."

Drapion780 -- To answer your question: Maybe...

And don't worry, chap 3 will be up by the end of the week.

Jack ;466;