• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Crusade

Dusk Sweep 0x9

Ready to Battle
hey ive just started reading your story i have finished the first 2 chaps and i am loving them so much, you are quite the talented author.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Alright, I just re-read through this, bored as hell.

My favorite fic used to be Pokemon Revolution. But, I seriously changed my mind. Your writing is simple.

This has a lot of emotion and probably the only Fan Fiction out there where I think it's alive. It's so real, the storyline makes the journey,

This is built of many things Adventure/Emotional/Fantasy/Romance, couldn't be put together so well in any other story I've read. This just pwns...

Dusk Sweep 0x9

Ready to Battle
This fic is one of he best stories i've ever read.(It's the second fic i've read, after "the Secret of Missingno.".) I usually don't read books if I don't have to, but this is something compeletly different. I find most of the books boring, but this fic just got me hooked before the first chapter even ended. I started reading about a week and a half ago. When reading this, time flies. I looked at the clock after reading two chapters: It was over one hour since I started. The time felt so much shorter. (It took so long because English isn't my primary language and I read it with my Wii's Internet Channel. I had to scroll the page all the time.)

Yeah. Enough about me, lets go to Crusade itself. It has everything a good book needs. Deep plot, action, romance, detailed descriptions about everything and some epicness. (Plates, Pokemon...) It almost never fails to surprise me. (By almost I mean Lance's Draco Plate, Shadow Force's Giratina and Volkner being Jack's big brother.) Lance and Volkner...They are examples of the many reconisable(sp?) characters in Crusade. When you start describing their look, I like to try to guess who it is. :)
You've got to love the romance between Jack and Megan. (No pun here) Aww...
That almost made me cry......oh? After going to look at your signature to check if that was right, I saw that you have changed the banner. It looks cool, it fits Crusade pretty well.
The pokemons' personalities are great. (Static, I'm looking at you)
And the battles. They get my pulse racing.

I'm so sad, that you lost your passion to writing. You are really good at writing. You could have made a career of it, perhaps... But after reading your "excuse" of delays, I understand. You have a great life, and you have to focus on it. But I hope you find the time and passion to write Crusade some day.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

OMFG you just ruined heaps of the story for me....
next time tag it as spoiler as i have like read 3 chaps so far.... -X- im so p-offed now argghhh

Dusk Sweep 0x9

Ready to Battle
I'm SO sorry... :( really, I forgot your message. I feel so bad right now...

I'll fix it now. That way at least anyone else won't get spoiled...Sorry again...

Its alright now that youve said sorry, that shows that your not a jerk!
forgiven +D

Mankanshoku Mako

I hope to god Megan comes back.

If Megan comes back, I give this chapter a 10/10

If you just killed one of your 2 main characters and destroyed the other mentally you get -999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999/10

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Alright homies, I felt it was about time to post, seeing as it's been like, three months. Before you get your hopes up, I'll let you know that I don't have a new chapter for you.

:(

I've very, very sorry that it's been so long. I've made very little progress on chapter 18. As you can imagine, this chapter is a very emotional one, and to write emotional scenes, I have to be in a certain mood. And since almost the entire chapter is emotional, it is very hard for me to write it. Also, after brooding over the story posted thus far, I've decided that it is a load of crap. Say what you want, but it's crap. There are many immature things I put in for comic relief, some whimsical plot details that really have no significance, and just a general aura of unrevised writing. Therefore, I've taken it upon myself to rewrite most of it. The beginning chapters will have to be entirely rewritten, while later ones will just need a heavy edit. So my news for you is that I have already written the second draft of chapter one, and over half of chapter two. These are much easier to read, and provide better backstory and forshadowing. I'm having them looked over by a few people to ensure that it is top quality.

So that's to let you know I haven't been neglecting the story. But recent events should also be taken into account. I'll be moving at the end of the year, from my current residence on the south-eastern coast of the US to Wisconsin, due to my dad's job. I'll be a senior in high school and applying for college soon as well. I bought a PS3 and several games recently, after my relationship ended rather abruptly. I'm over it, and I assure you, the breakup isn't going to affect my writing in any drastic ways. I've been working over 30 hours a week and try to spend some time with my friends when I'm free. All in all, my schedule is rather packed, and I find very little time to sit down and write. But I'm always brooding over the plot in my head, trying to figure out how to place things in the story.

Again, I apologize for not having anything to show you. I hope to have chapter one and maybe chapter two up sometime in the next month, but I'm not going to make any promises. Thank you all for your support of this utter mess I invented as a 15 year old kid, and I hope that I will soon have something to show. Enjoy your summer!

Jack ;466;

Yonowarru

Roaring Flames!
Wow...this story is pure greatness! The characters unique personalities and storyline are fantastic!

If I could I'd love to be put on the PM list for this, but seeing as is on hold for now, I'll keep my eye on this. :)

Just popping in to say that you are an incredibly talented writer. I noticed a few spelling errors in the first few chapters (such as know for now, etc.), but other than that, there wasn't anything out of place. This is a very engrossing story, and I look forward to reading any more material you have to write.

As far as a loss of passion goes, it's completely understandable. Real life always comes before the internet, because real life is the basis for anything good on the internet. Plus, this story is good enough that it's worth the wait. As said before by many, excellent work.

Please add me to the PM list if you get a chance. Thanks!

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Over the past month or so I've looked for time to read this fic, and I just finished it today. I have just gotta say one thing : IT WAS AWESOME!

I know it might be a while until your next chapter, but can I please be put on the PM list.

LadyMiir

Nat. Dex COMPLETE!!!
... This was a beautifully done fic. I love how you portray the various gym leaders/Elites, and aren't afraid to kill main or canon characters.

Also, I LOVE shiny Charizards... *hugs Sceadon*

*my own shiny male Charizard, Anomander, waves hello*

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Hello again. It’s hard to believe it’s been so many months since the last time I’ve posted anything related to this story. In fact, believe it or not, Chapter 17 was posted in April. Much has transpired since then. I have explained some of the events in previous posts, but I will not bore you again with the mundane goings on of my life. Suffice to say that I’ve had a revival of sorts; a mental one at least. I’ve risen from my slump and have finally found the motivation to continue this tale of Jack and Static.

In the spirit of Christmas, either to random chance or subtle arrangements of events by a higher being, I can gladly say that I have not one, no, but three new chapters for you. Alas, they are not the three that complete part one, the Rebirth of Terror. But I am sure you will enjoy them nonetheless. The first chapter, which you will find after this message, is Chapter 18. If you have not read Chapter 17 in the last several weeks, I recommend you do so, or at least scan through it to refresh your memory on exactly what has transpired. This is because while you have waited over 8 months, the time between the two in the fiction world is only 7 hours.

I think you will enjoy this chapter, and though it is a few pages shorter than most, it’s been the most difficult for me to write, and this is because I feel it must be the most powerful in all of Part One. You will without a doubt realize the erasure of Gash the Scyther; unfortunately he has been cut from this tale. I haven’t been able to amend the chapters he appears in, but please pardon this, for after all this is a work in progress. If you were wondering, I removed him because he contributed little to the actual story and is more of a burden to write into something that has already transpired in my mind without involving him in any way. So I apologize if you had feelings for the mantis, but he was doing more harm than good.

Now, I move on to the second part of this message. The other two chapters I have mentioned are in fact complete rewrites of Chapters 1 and 2. While they contain most of the same events of the first drafts, they are entirely rewritten. I found that they were outdated and filled with opportunities to explain things and broaden the backstory and history of the characters. The old chapters were also rife with childish details and side plots that really pulled the story down (for example, Lorelei has been completely written out of chapter 2). At the end of each chapter, I will list some of the major and minor changes that were made, along with some reasoning as to why they were changed. I plan on editing at least chapters 3 and 4 in the same way, and from then on making necessary changes to the chapters until they are all coherent. Any changes will be noted at the end of each chapter that receives an edit.

So, in summary, I have regained my inspiration and have rewrites of chapters 1 and 2, along with chapter 18. You can also expect edits to be made to the earlier chapters to clean them up, along with the final two chapters to Part One in the near future. Now, without further ado, here is Chapter 18. Please note that there is a small spree of strong language towards the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Eighteen – Echoes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shrieking voice and terror-struck face of a girl he had once known were overwhelmed by a heavy numbness that stretched all the way down to his toes. Each heartbeat pounded in his head like a loud drum, causing his vision to shudder. A weight rested on his shoulders, causing him to feel trapped and unable to move. It was in this state that Jack sat on the edge of the bed in his lonely room inside the Crusaders’ headquarters.

Jack hadn’t moved since his brother Volkner had left him, nearly seven hours ago. His arms rested on his knees and his head hung limp, the thick, ragged mess of brown hair shielding his face from view. Yet his eyes, swallowed up by an inhuman sadness, stared blankly at the steel floor between his feet.

He was not thinking, not trying to cope with what he had lost. His mind was void of all thoughts of his own, and instead was swallowed by the grief he felt and the illusions cast by the wretched pendant that hung from his neck. Jack had abandoned any attempts to suppress the images, for he had not the strength to do so, and was not even sure if reality would be any better.

Jack became faintly aware of a voice from outside the door, and for the first time in seven hours lifted his head, experiencing a distant twinge of pain, more a thought than an actual feeling. He had no interest in who was speaking, nor did he feel as if he should answer, though he moved, mechanically, off his bed and to the door. Only acting because he felt it was something to do, he opened the door, staring at the two figures in front of him.

“Jack?” Mike said hesitantly, searching the dark eyes that stared without seeing. “Are you okay?” The second person let out a small gasp and covered her mouth.

“Jack…” Kairi whispered, tears welling up in her eyes.

Mike reached out and put a hand on Jack’s arm. Jack stiffened, his body acting apart from his mind. “Jack, E-Eldes wanted to speak with you…if you’re—if you’re up to it.”

Eldes. The name was familiar. Jack’s conscious awakened slightly to process this invitation. With faint realization he recognized Eldes as the man he was following in the organization called the Crusaders. He reasoned that he should go see Eldes and hear what he had to say.

Jack nodded, still expressionless. Mike smiled carefully, as if he were afraid to show joy in front of Jack. He turned and walked down the hall, Kairi at his side. Jack followed, fading back into sub consciousness, letting his body move of its own accord. It wasn’t long before they arrived outside the sliding doors. They only had to wait a few seconds before the doors slid open to reveal the tall, weary man with graying red hair and dark sunglasses. He was still wearing the black robes from the fight, and looked exhausted. Jack also noticed Volkner, his brother, sitting in a chair along the wall. His yellow-blond hair was cleaned and he was wearing new clothes, but he also looked as if he hadn’t slept at all.

“Thank you for coming, Jack. Mike, Kairi, could you please step outside for a moment?” Eldes smiled gently at the younger teens. They nodded and left the room, the sliding doors closing behind them. With a sigh, Eldes sat on the edge of his desk and removed his sunglasses to look Jack directly in the eyes. The pale, milky red eyes met the dark, empty ones, and a tear leaked from the corner of Eldes’s eye.

“Jack, Volkner, I’m quite sorry to tell you this so soon after the battle, but I can’t bear to keep it from you.” He paused, searching for the correct words. “I—your parents, in Violet, they…” He swallowed, glancing at Volkner. “There was an explosion, you see. There was no way they could have survived.”

The words registered somewhere in Jack’s head, but the numbness was so overwhelming, he could do nothing but stare.

“They can’t be—dead!” Volkner cried out, standing up from his chair. “How did they know?”

“Whether they made the connection through Jack or yourself, I am not certain. But the bombs were preset—they had planned this from before our encounter in Goldenrod. I am very sorry.”

Volkner slumped into his chair, speechless. “They’re…gone.”

Jack stared blankly at Eldes, showing no emotion at all.

“I wish I could have seen them, one last time,” Volkner murmured, his jaw clenched tight. His face was white with shock.

Eldes walked over and offered Volkner a hand. Volkner glanced up and took it, pulling himself to his feet. Eldes embraced him, and Volkner returned it. “I’m so sorry this had to happen to you son, I’m so sorry,” Eldes whispered. Volkner sniffed and broke apart, wiping his eyes on his sleeve.

“Could you bring in Mike? I believe it is time for him and Jack to learn the truth of what we are fighting.” Volkner nodded and turned, casting a sorrowful look at Jack before opening the sliding doors. Mike entered, and Volkner continued down the hall.

“Please, take a seat, Mike. I must explain something to the two of you. Jack, I believe your Pokémon should hear this as well.”

Jack became aware that his Pokéballs were strapped to the chain hanging from his belt. He unclipped them and released the three of them. Static and Guardia materialized, with Sceadon standing behind them. Jack felt a stab of alarm before remembering in a flash of memories that Sceadon had evolved from the yellow-gold Charmeleon into the black, fearsome dragon-like Charizard. Sceadon’s large figure took up much of the space between Eldes and Jack, and so he stumbled awkwardly around Jack until he stood behind him. Static, much out of character, looked very solemn and respectfully stood at Jack’s side, casting a sad glance at his master. Guardia, stoic as ever, stood on Jack’s other side, focusing on Eldes. Jack looked around at his Pokémon, and a fresh wave of memories engulfed him, showing scenes of when he had met them, and things they had experienced together. With the memories came pain, breaking through the numbness. Jack jerked his hand to his head, grimacing as the pounding grew harder. With effort he drove the memories back, succumbing to the numbness once again. This episode did not go unnoticed by the others in the room, and they eyed him worriedly.

Eldes took a deep breath and began. “As you recall, I told you before you joined that Shadow Force is a terrorist organization.”

“Yeah,” Mike said, curious as to what Eldes was getting at.

“Well, that is not the entire story. You see, Shadow Force is much more than that. It is a product of two entities joining together for the worse. You are familiar with Cipher, yes? It was once my job to run the group under my father. At the time, Cipher had developed advanced technology that could shut off the door to a Pokémon’s heart, ridding them of emotion, allowing us to have complete control. The second group is known as Team Galactic. They operated in Sinnoh. You have heard of them?”

Jack remained emotionless, and Mike answered. “Yeah, I did hear about them during my trip to Sinnoh. Weren’t they obsessed with the legends of Sinnoh?”

“Indeed, but they are no mere legends. Team Galactic was under the control of a man named Cyrus. While they were stopped a few years ago, Cyrus did not give up his goal.”

“Which was?”

“To create a new world. Cyrus wished to use the power of Dialga and Palkia, the masters of time and space, to wipe this world clean and rebuild it with himself as a god.”

Mike stared. “You’re kidding.”

“No, and it came very close to fruition. The Red Chain he had devised to control the Pokémon was shattered, and that ended it. Yet he continued to seek to bring about this new world. It is through the searching of Cyrus that he met my brother, Ardos.

“Ardos still desired to see Cipher succeed, even after my father and I had given it up. Upon meeting Cyrus, he realized he could go further than he had ever imagined. He brought Cipher’s technology together with Team Galactic’s research, and spawned Shadow Force.

“You see, Cipher’s technology allowed them to enslave Lugia, one of the strongest Pokémon on the planet. Team Galactic’s research uncovered the secret to awakening the most powerful Pokémon of all. Arceus.”

“Ar—ceus? The legendary creator?” Mike seemed slightly disbelieving.

“The same. Yes Mike, it does exist, and Team Galactic discovered how to summon him. Cyrus wished to use Cipher’s technology to help him, promising my brother shared power. My brother, of course, did not like this, and so he disposed of Cyrus.”

“He killed him?”

“Yes. You see, Ardos wishes to rule the world by using powerful Shadow Pokémon to dominate. But what could be more tempting to such a person than the ultimate Pokémon? This is the goal of Shadow Force. To summon Arceus and Shadowfy him, bringing him under control.”

Mike stared. Jack looked blankly at Eldes, taking in all he had heard. So that was the terror to be brought about.

“What about the Plates?”

“The Plates are pieces of Arceus. Having all 16 Plates would result in the perfect Arceus.”

Mike contemplated this. “What’s stopping them from summoning Arceus right now? Surely they don’t need the Plates to control the world.”

Eldes smiled grimly. “No they don’t, but I believe it contributes to their waiting. Having worked for Cipher myself, I know a great deal about the technology used to create a Shadow Pokémon. It takes a lot of energy. Special energy, which can only be obtained through the evolution of Pokémon. The machines Cipher uses gather the energy expelled during the evolution process and convert it into a storable substance that can be used to turn a normal Pokémon into a Shadow Pokémon. I believe, according to Xavier, who has personally provided me with much of this information, that they just don’t have sufficient energy.”

“How much longer until they do?”

“According to Xavier, it may be another couple years before everything is ready. They also have to be at the peak of Mount Coronet in Sinnoh to open the Hall of Origin, where Arceus is said to dwell.

“Jack, this is why they were after Sceadon. If you remember, Shining Pokémon give off ten times as much energy when they evolve, so collecting Sceadon would have sped up their process.”

Jack felt the realization set in, and he looked up at Sceadon.

<That makes sense now,> Sceadon said, his voice now deep and guttural.

“So that’s it then. We’ve got to stop them from capturing Arceus.” Mike glared with determination at the floor. “To save the world.”

Eldes nodded solemnly. “Yes.”

“Well, I’ll do it. There’s no way I could know about this and not want to help. Whatever I can do for you, I shall do it.”

“Thank you, Mike. I appreciate that.” He turned to Jack. “And will you still fight? I would not hold it against you if you wanted to withdraw from this nightmare.”

Jack looked him in the eyes. It was true; leaving the Crusaders would most likely spare him pain. But then he remembered what it had cost him to reach this point, and he realized the nightmare would only be worse if he left.

“I cannot forget the past,” he murmured, his voice dry and throaty. “I will fight.”

Eldes nodded quietly. “Very well. A funeral service will be held at noon outside on the rocks for those we have lost, if you wish to come. For now, you may go.”

Mike stood up and turned to Jack and his Pokémon. “Let’s go.” Jack turned and followed Mike out of the room, his Pokémon on his heels.

As they proceeded down the hallway, Jack turned down the corridor that led outside. “Jack, we don’t have to go for a couple more hours,” Mike said.

Jack looked over his shoulder at Mike, his empty eyes like swords in Mike’s heart. “I just need to think,” he said quietly.

Mike swallowed and nodded understandingly. “Alright, I’ll see you out there.” He turned and continued down the hall. Jack proceeded to the elevator that took him to the exit, his Pokémon following him.

Upon opening the door hidden to outsiders, Jack was greeted by a dark, stormy sky. Black clouds hung ominously all around, threatening to break and drown the earth in a torrential downpour. Slowly, he climbed the rugged mountain slope to the cliff overlooking the ocean. He stood, staring out at the waves, feeling the wind whip his hair into his face and pull at his clothing. The sea was churning, white foam frothing among the crashing waves. Inside, Jack felt his emotions churning as well, suppressed by the unnatural numbness that controlled him, yet still very much there. A single tear dripped from his eye, sliding down his cheek and ending on his chin. He reached up and wiped it, staring, almost curiously, at the water.

“Static, what have I done?” he whispered, his voice etched with horror. He felt the numbness begin to crack as his emotions grew, raging inside him. In a single moment, he felt the barrier shatter, and wave upon wave of realization crashed upon his defenseless conscious.

He realized that along his journey, he made every wrong decision possible. By running away, he involved his family in whatever he did, and now they were dead. Static, and subsequently Sceadon and Guardia had to endure hardship upon hardship, greater than anything a normal trainer would encounter. Grayson and Scar, two kind, strong beings, convicted for crimes that they did not commit, losing five of their companions, only to lose their own lives trying to help him. And then—

If he hadn’t—she would be alive—safe…

Static stared at his trainer, his narrow, black eyes filled with sadness. This journey had destroyed him. No, Static thought, it wasn’t the journey. Life didn’t do this to Jack, to Megan. It was Shadow Force, and these evil men. They had done this, and Static swore to himself that he would bring justice to them, one way or another.

The thunder began to boom, and Jack felt the emotions swirling, his own consciousness awakening, breaking through the restraints. The pain was unimaginable; every death he had seen flashed before his eyes, the screams echoed again and again in his ears, and the pounding inside his skull felt strong enough to crack it. With a gut wrenching scream, Jack felt to his knees and a blast of violet energy emanated from him. Static, Sceadon, and Guardia braced against the impact, and stared as Jack slowly pushed himself to his feet. He turned around, and through the ragged hair the Pokémon could see eyes that were very much human, deep and full of sadness, but not the blank, cold ones that had been there since Goldenrod. A flash of lightning illuminated his face, and streaks of tears shown on his cheeks.

“Static, Sceadon, Guardia…I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything,” he choked, throwing his arms around them in a tight embrace. They returned it, Static’s thick, yellow arms, Sceadon’s black leathery arms, and Guardia’s tough hided arms, wrapped around Jack. Jack could still feel the pain of reality, but it was faint and suppressed by the raw emotion of sorrow he felt. His shoulders heaved as he sobbed uncontrollably, the tears running freely.

After several seconds, his breathing slowed, and he withdrew, standing back up. The lightning flashed again, the thunder following right after. The Pokémon watched as the eyes of the master were slowly transformed back into the cold, empty eyes of the being that Jack had become. Jack again became emotionless, staring at his Pokémon, but not seeing them.

<And he’s gone, again…> mumbled Static, wiping a glistening tear from his own eye.

<Jack-sama…> Sceadon mumbled, giving his master a sorrowful look. <I know you’re there. Just, don’t ever forget…don’t forget that we’re here for you. No matter what.>

After an hour, it started to drizzle, and both Sceadon and Guardia returned themselves into their Pokéballs to avoid the rain. Jack and Static remained standing only a few feet from the edge of the cliff, staring out at the sea. The sky was even blacker than before, and the lighting was growing stronger. The wind gusted with vigor, whipping Jack’s hair around and pulling at his clothes.

People were beginning to come out for the funeral, but Jack ignored them. Soon, all of the remaining Crusaders were standing outside, a few hundred feet from Jack and Static. There were several holes dug, and for each hole there was a casket holding the body of a fallen comrade. Jack could hear crying, and Eldes speaking of the courage and sacrifice of each person.

But Jack had not the strength to listen. He knew Mike was among the Crusaders, mourning the death of his hero, Lance Blackthorn. Jack himself felt the pain of losing the one person who he had always believed to be invincible, since he was a little boy. He remembered the countless hours he had spent with Mike, either pretending to be a great trainer like Lance, or studying to become great.

But above everything, Jack could not bare to stand and listen to the consoling words of Eldes when the person whom he had lost was not among the bodies in the caskets. He had never felt so empty, so helpless. Not only was she taken in the sense that he would no longer speak with her or embrace her, but he had no body to grieve over or lay to rest. And this absence of any sign that she ever existed cut him deeper than anything.

Eventually, Static returned himself to his Pokéball to escape the rain that was beginning to pick up. The lightning flashed and thunder roared, yet Jack remained motionless. He could hear the funeral coming to an end, and soon noticed the presence of someone behind him. It was Volkner, and tears were visible through the rain dripping down his face. He put a hand on Jack’s shoulder, trying to communicate as much as he could through the simple touch. Just like the last time he had been with his brother while Konpaku raged, Jack felt a calmness in his head, and the screams and echoes ceased. The rain was coming down harder, and the wind was picking up. The brothers’ hair was matted to their heads, occasionally smacked around by the gusts of wind. After a time, Volkner let go.

“We’re here for you Jack,” he said, raising his voice above the storm. Jack turned his head and looked at his brother, his eyes still dark and lifeless. Volkner forced a smile and turned back to go inside. Jack followed his brother with his eyes until he was out of sight. He turned back and stared out at the ocean, now tossing and turning with ferocity due to the storm. The torrential rain was pounding now, and lightning was flashing without ceasing. The winds were now a full-on gale, ripping at Jack, trying to throw him off the edge. But Jack remained solid, immovable, unnaturally so. He didn’t feel peaceful, but balanced; for now the outside’s fury and rage matched that of the inside.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Mike sat at a table in the cafeteria, slowly eating through his breakfast of eggs and bacon. He hadn’t slept much last night. Thoughts of the funeral still clouded his mind, and the grief was still too near. Every time he thought about Lance, his heart jumped to his throat and his eyes stung. But the feeling didn’t match the sadness he felt for Jack.

He had seen him, yesterday, standing at the edge of the cliff, away from the funeral. He knew it was best to leave Jack alone during that time, because the grief had to be horrible. Mike clenched his fork and glared into space. He had joined the Crusaders to protect people, but now, it was much greater. One day, Mike would have his revenge for what they had done to Jack. One day, he would have vengeance.

A blonde girl sat down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. She stared at him with concerned eyes. Mike glanced over and couldn’t help but staring back. Her eyes were a beautiful ocean blue. “Are you okay, Mike?” Kairi asked.

“Yeah, I’m good,” he muttered, putting down his fork. “I’m just really pissed is all.”

Kairi put her hands in her lap. “That’s understandable. It’s always hard when you lose someone.”

“Jack’s got to be tearing himself apart,” Mike said quietly. He ran a hand through his snow white hair. “He’s lost Megan, his uncle, and Volkner told me last night that their parents were killed after Goldenrod.”

Kairi’s eyes watered. “That’s horrible…”

Mike bit his lip. “I don’t have any brothers or sisters, and my dad was almost always busy with work, so I hardly saw him. I never knew my mother, she ran off after I was born and never came back. But Jack’s family was my family. I loved his mom like she was my own, and I respected his dad as if he was my own. And Lt. Surge had to be the coolest uncle ever. I spent so much time at their house because my dad hardly ever came home. For them to be taken away and hurt me this much, I can’t believe the pain Jack must feel, being actual family.” Mike sniffed and realized he was crying. He wiped his face on his sleeve and took a deep breath.

Kairi’s face was streaked with tears. “Mike…” She put her arms around him in an embrace. He returned it, trying to calm himself.

“Do you know if he came in at all?” Mike asked her. She knew he was talking about Jack, because she had seen him the day before as well.

“No, I don’t. We should go see him,” she suggested. They let go and stood up, Mike tossing the rest of his breakfast in the trash. The two found the exit and climbed up the rocks. As they came close to the top, they saw the lone figure, standing motionless, staring at the sea. His clothes were still damp from the storm, and his hair was a tangled mess.

“Jack?” Mike said, walking up next to him. “How’re you feeling?”

Jack blinked and turned to look at Mike. The emotionless mask was still there, yet Jack was able to speak. “Lost, as if in a dark cave with no light. And all I hear are echoes…”

Mike swallowed. “Don’t feel lost,” he said earnestly. “We’re here. You still have us, and as long as you have someone, you aren’t lost.” Jack nodded, and Mike placed his hand on his shoulder. Just as with Volkner, the torture ceased, and Jack felt the rage in his head quelled. The life returned to his eyes, and he smiled, ever so slightly.

Kairi smiled, and then abruptly said, “Jack, have you ever wanted to fly?”

Mike turned and stared, one eyebrow raised. “What?” Jack looked at her as well, a slightly puzzled look on his otherwise emotionless face.

Kairi giggled. “Well, you do have a Charizard now, and I’m pretty sure he has wings.” She unclipped a Pokéball from her belt and enlarged it. “I have Dustie, and Mike has Easoshi. Why don’t we all go for a little fly, just to clear our heads?”

Mike’s face slowly broke out into a broad grin. “That’s excellent. What do you say, Jack?”

Jack stared, showing no eagerness. “Sure,” he murmured finally, reaching for Sceadon’s Pokéball. He released Sceadon, who stretched out his large blood red wings.

“Sceadon, we’re going flying!” Mike said, releasing his own blue dragon. Easoshi the Salamence roared and tossed his head.

<What does my master wish of me?> he growled.

Mike jumped onto Easoshi’s back. “We’re going for a little trip into the clouds.” Easoshi grunted and crouched, and then with a powerful flap of his wings, propelled off the ground and into the sky.

Kairi released he own green insect-like dragon. The Flygon buzzed her wings and allowed her trainer to climb onto her back. With a little jump, Dustie took off, vibrating her wings like a dragonfly.

<Jack-sama, I’m not sure if I can do this. I’ve never flown before,> Sceadon growled nervously. Jack mechanically climbed onto Sceadon’s back, wrapping his arms around Sceadon’s dusky leather neck, right above the wing joints. As he embraced his Pokémon, he felt Konpaku withdraw and came to his senses.

“It shouldn’t be too hard, just give it a running start,” Jack said calmly.

The sound of his master’s voice quelled some of Sceadon’s nervousness, and with a deep breath, he bent down and ran towards the edge of the cliff. As he leapt off the edge, Jack’s grip tightened. Sceadon frantically flapped his wings, trying to ascend, but to no avail. The two plummeted towards the sea, until Sceadon finally opened his wings fully and caught the air. He pulled up like a hang glider, still too nervous to try and move his wings.

Mike and Easoshi dropped down next to them, and Easoshi shouted instructions to Sceadon. Jack couldn’t comprehend most of them, but Sceadon did and began to move his wings in powerful motions, gaining height with each push. Easoshi roared something else, and Sceadon dropped his right wing down, pulling into a sharp turn. Jack pressed his face against Sceadon’s warm back and squeezed with his legs as hard as he could. After a few more minutes of practice maneuvers, Jack became used to the motions and loosened his grip.

“This isn’t so bad!” he shouted at Mike. “It’s actual—AHHHH!” Jack strengthened his grip on Sceadon as they plummeted towards the water below. Sceadon was in a full speed dive now, his wings brought in close to his body. The wind was making his eyes tear up, and as he saw the water only a dozen meters away, he clenched them shut. And then Sceadon opened his wings and pulled up, just inches above the water. With a few flaps he was back in the sky, soaring well above the edge of the cliff. Jack opened his eyes slowly, and then broke out into a full grin. “Haha! Whoo!” he shouted, raising his arms in the air. He felt free, as if every burden was left back on the ground. Despite the pain in his cheeks from using muscles to smile that hadn’t been used in so long, and the pain in his throat from shouting, he realized that he felt truly alive.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Xavier was furious. He was standing in a dimly lit office, staring through the dark at a tall figure.

“I can’t see what you’re upset about, Xavier,” Ardos said in a smooth voice that flowed like water. He gently brushed a long strand of sapphire blue hair from his face. His eyes, originally the same color as his hair, were a pale, milky bluish white.

Xavier slammed his fist on the steel-paneled wall. “Bullshit,” he growled. He spun around and stared at Ardos menacingly. “All we were trying to do was lure the Crusaders out to obtain their Plates. Why the fuck did you send Megan into the portal?”

Ardos smiled maliciously. “The boy Jack has already caused enough trouble for us. I simply took away his motivation.”

“Bullshit!” Xavier paced back and forth. “If you truly wanted the Plates, you would have stolen Makiba from Megan. Now you have awoken a monster inside Jack that will threaten to destroy both him and our operation. And then you went and had his house rigged so you could blow up his parents! I thought you said we weren’t aiming to harm civilians!”

“Of course, the civilians were not our targets—”

“THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BOMB GOLDENROD!?” Xavier was glaring at Ardos with such intensity that the Grandmaster’s smile slipped ever so slightly. “We were finished there, so why?”

Ardos, who had been leaning against his desk, stood up. “I can’t see why you would care. You know as well as any of us that when our plan comes to fruition, all these people will be erased anyway.”

“I will not bring death to innocents. Our plan works differently, you know that.” Xavier did not turn his gaze away.

Ardos walked up to Xavier and stuck his finger out, poking Xavier’s chest. “You agreed to that the moment you joined our operation.”

Xavier stared at the finger and swatted it aside. “Then perhaps I do not want to be part of this anymore.” He turned and stalked off toward the door.

“Have you forgotten your reason for joining?” Ardos called after him. “You haven’t forgotten Sayumi, have you?” Xavier froze but did not turn around. Ardos smiled, knowing he was victorious. “Teshiu? Boruto?”

At hearing the name of his lost Pokémon, Xavier clenched his fists with fury. He gave Ardos one last loathsome glare and left the room.

END

So there it is. This was a very powerful chapter to me and I was determined to get it right. I originally wrote a couple pages worth around the start of the summer, but I was dissatisfied and scrapped them. I hope you like this one as much as I did.

Thank you again for reading, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Jack ;466;

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Thanks for the new chapter.

Since when has Xaivier been the enemy? I think you've been gone too long. I cant remember the recent chapters. Anyway, this was good, as always. "Jack-sama" always gives me fuzzy feelings and gives warmth when I read it. Idk why, but whatever. You killed Megan you *******....and his parents... Man I hate when people do that. You get your readers hooked to someone then

Bam

They're gone....

(Yes, everything will go to pieces.)

Good chapter man.

Happy Holidays and God bless you

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Wow, nice =) Some of the dialogue of Mike and Jack with Eldes seemed a bit too formal to me; took a little away from the emotions. I do like where the story is heading plot-wise though =)

Doesn't Giratina just open a portal to another dimension? Meaning the plate wouldn't be lost forever?

Excellent chapter again, and except for a few minor spelling and grammatical mistakes, it was nigh-perfect (as far as Pokemon fanfiction goes).

Aside from the short recap I had to do so I remembered the story, I noticed that this chapter moved very quickly, even though it wasn't action-filled. This may be because either 1. It was short. or 2. It was really good. I prefer to think it was option 2.

Out of curiosity, why does Xavier think it is okay to kill thousands of humans and his friends just to (maybe - this is me guessing) have three Pokemon revived by Shadow Arceus? Doesn't that go counterintuitive to his whole "never leave your friends" thing?

Keep up the good work, and happy holidays.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Wow, three reviews right of the bat. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the new chapter.

Since when has Xaivier been the enemy? I think you've been gone too long. I cant remember the recent chapters. Anyway, this was good, as always. "Jack-sama" always gives me fuzzy feelings and gives warmth when I read it. Idk why, but whatever. You killed Megan you *******....and his parents... Man I hate when people do that. You get your readers hooked to someone then

Bam

They're gone....

(Yes, everything will go to pieces.)

Good chapter man.

Happy Holidays and God bless you

If you recall, Xavier's a double agent; he provides intel for both the Crusaders and Shadow Force. Where his allegiance truly lies is yet to be discovered. If you want some more info, reread chapter 5 where he's introduced.

Wow, nice =) Some of the dialogue of Mike and Jack with Eldes seemed a bit too formal to me; took a little away from the emotions. I do like where the story is heading plot-wise though =)

Doesn't Giratina just open a portal to another dimension? Meaning the plate wouldn't be lost forever?

I prefer to think that the characters don't have the same knowledge of legendary pokemon as we do. For example, there's no arguing that Arceus is a real pokemon, yet Mike isn't quite sure it's true. Likewise, it's unlikely that Xavier or even Ardos understands the capabilities of Giratina.

Excellent chapter again, and except for a few minor spelling and grammatical mistakes, it was nigh-perfect (as far as Pokemon fanfiction goes).

Aside from the short recap I had to do so I remembered the story, I noticed that this chapter moved very quickly, even though it wasn't action-filled. This may be because either 1. It was short. or 2. It was really good. I prefer to think it was option 2.

Out of curiosity, why does Xavier think it is okay to kill thousands of humans and his friends just to (maybe - this is me guessing) have three Pokemon revived by Shadow Arceus? Doesn't that go counterintuitive to his whole "never leave your friends" thing?

Keep up the good work, and happy holidays.

If you recall chapter 7, Xavier has a flashback to when he was younger. Boruto was his Pikachu with the lightning bolt mark on his chest, while Sayumi was his sister and Teshiu his father. Understand that there was a remarkable relationship between Xavier and Boruto, much like that between Jack and Static. Apparently, from what has been revealed, Shadow Force can offer Xavier a chance to have his family and Boruto back. And I think that more often than not, family comes before friends. But you also have to understand Xavier's dilemma. He serves Shadow Force in hopes of getting back his family, but he also serves the Crusaders to protect those he cares about.

Really, if Xavier's motives confuse you, then I did my job. You aren't entirely supposed to comprehend what he is working towards. ;D

Again, thank you all for reading, and don't forget, entire rewrites of the first two chapters are up.

Jack ;466;

Son_of_Shadows

Praise Jesus, it's back! SQUEE! *ahem* My favourite part was definitely the flying scene. I thought it a great way to finally restore Jack's spirits.

“This isn’t so bad!” he shouted at Mike. “It’s actual—AHHHH!” Jack strengthened his grip on Sceadon as they plummeted towards the water below. Sceadon was in a full speed dive now, his wings brought in close to his body. The wind was making his eyes tear up, and as he saw the water only a dozen meters away, he clenched them shut. And then Sceadon opened his wings and pulled up, just inches above the water. With a few flaps he was back in the sky, soaring well above the edge of the cliff. Jack opened his eyes slowly, and then broke out into a full grin. “Haha! Whoo!” he shouted, raising his arms in the air. He felt free, as if every burden was left back on the ground. Despite the pain in his cheeks from using muscles to smile that hadn’t been used in so long, and the pain in his throat from shouting, he realized that he felt truly alive

Marvelous. Now, I really must go write chapter 6 of my own fic... =P

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I hardly remember anything of this, but it seems purdy dang good.

The only thing is that it doesn't exactly bring about Christmas cheer, like you said in the PM.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Damn my post-eating web browser... ><

Hey, there. It's been a while, hunh? I've been popping every time you make the front page, but it was usually a fan review/question. So i took my time getting to this one. Sorry about that. And to top it off, my post gets eaten.

Don'tcha just hate it when that happens?

Anyways, onto the review:

The only fault i could find with your latest was the fact that i was planning to use this later in my fic. Now i've gotta work harder than you did and that won't be easy at all. This chapter was that good... :)

Sceadon learning to fly was the brightest part of this chapter without contest. What with Jack and Volkner losing their parents, Shadow Force's true motives brought to light, our favourite double agent's motives being cleared up and lack of Megan, this was definitely one of your darker chapters.

It's length was no issue with me for a change, as you did not fail to impress, regardless of the length. Good job, bud.

Seasons Greetings PBJ (why do i think of a sandwich when i call you that?)

'til your next post... L@er!