• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Design Misconceptions

MachoCheese

Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I once mistook Misdreavus's Gen III sprite's red gems on its neck as its mouth. Until then I learned of its design and felt stupid.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.
i always thought the same thing!
and i guess one of mine was that i thought kyogre was like voltorb in that it didnt have a mouth until i traded one to collosseum and battled with it, and when i saw its mouth ope ope i was like wait, whaatt

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~

No, no, no, nO, NO, NO, NO, NOOO!

MY LIFE IS A LIE! D':

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3

Really?! 0_o How did you figure out it WASN'T its nose?! :eek:

Last edited:

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
I checked the Bulbapedia, and sure enough, that's a mouth... Jesus... this is weirder than the theory of Diglett's nose being a mouth with a tooth in it...

A friend of mine told me that she thought that the red dots/areas on Armaldo's head were its eyes, while the actual eyes were ears. After she told me that, I can not unsee it hehe!!

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Ok, who else thought that the only way Samurott can use razor shell is with his helmet?

Another one is that I thought Gardevoir floats instead because she has no legs...I found out otherwise when I played coliseum

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I remember thinking that Woobat's nose was it's eye, then I saw the pictures for Woobat and found out that it's eyes were just covered by it's fur.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
First time I saw Probopass I thought it had two stumpy winglike arms and a tail. Then I found out about the "mini-noses". And Roggenrola... "That's a weird looking eye... Oh. That's an ear."

Last edited:

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Wow...pretty much every single thing everyone is saying is what I thought about that certain Pokémon, or that the things you have now just told me I now will see forever since I can never "unsee" them! >.<

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
In the original Red and Blue sprites for Fearow, the way that its right wing was positioned made it look like it was part of its beak. I thought that Fearow was a toucan.

I also originally had Gardevoir's face backwards. I thought its pointed ears were actually a long nose and a pointed lip, and that it was looking up and to the right.