• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Design Misconceptions

Rakurai

I had one about Hydreigon. Though, I don't think that is my mistake, but rather mistake on everyone that interprets Hydreigon's pictures and sprites though general aesthetic sense.

Everyone and every website I visited said Hydreigon's "legs" are shortened or atrophied or degenerated through the evolution process. For me personally, those might look like "legs" by first glance, but it is really not legs, but rather feels like protruding "fur" to me. One proof is that for every animating sprites you can find on games, and all Hydreigons introduced in anime, their "legs" never move.

That is something like Espeon's fur protruding beneath its ear, where I believe someone may had mistake Espeon had two pairs of ears before.

They're just vestigial legs. Some real animals have remnants of limbs that they can't move due to having evolved out of the need to use them.

On a note pertaining to the same Pokemon, I was met with some confusion when playing Gates To Infinity, as there, it's depicted as having large black and red eyes, as opposed to small red eyes surrounded by black skin like in the other media. I presume it was done for the purpose of making its expressions easier to see.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
When I first saw delibird, before I had much knowledge of Pokemon, I thought it was fire/flying type. Fire because it was red, and flying because of the bird section in its name.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Speaking of Delibird, I once thought that big white "pocket" it is carrying is an item, similar to the leak Farfetch'd is holding. Turns out it is a TAIL O.O

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'm still not sure what Relicanth's eyes are. Is it the red dot, or the line nearer to its mouth, which looks like a closed eye?
Is it bad that I recognized relicanth's eye as its eye, but I took longer to realize that the white spot on an actual orca wasn't an eye?

>_>

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I remember when I read an earlier thread like this when someone mentioned how they just realized delibird's bag was attached to it. I went scourging the internet for proof that that was wrong, I disbelieved it so much. I eventually found what appeared to prove it wasn't, but as it turned out, that was unofficial art. That artist apparently made the same mistake as we did.

Though actually, I've heard of some people thinking delibird had a plain tail, not a sack.

Also, I used to think Zubat's legs was it's tail. But Bulbapedia says otherwise.

Probably doesn't help that Pikachu's Vacation had one moment where zubat was sitting with its "legs" trailing behind it. I'm not sure if this is the actual screenshot, but zubat definitely was in that pose.

By the looks of it, the animators can get equally confused about what body part is supposed to be what.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Speaking of type misunderstanding...
I always thought Caterpie and Metapod were Bug and Grass type... I always thought Sudowoodo was Rock and Grass type as well. And it took me some time to realize Gastly, Haunter and Gengar were part of Poison type, too.

Last edited:

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize that Cradily's eyes are not on the green part.

Cutty

Forever now
I thought Darkrai had no legs untill I saw the movie... I mean it can form 'legs' for standing... but is it necessary?
Also I'm pretty sure those closed eyes pokemon like Abra etc open their eyes sometimes... but so far I've seen only Musharna awake version...

⊙ᴗ⊙
- Guilty of the Poliwag mouth/nose misconception
- Also Metapod's spike being a nose
- Thinking Hoothoot only had one leg
- Originally thinking Sharpedo had a tail and that it was just obscured in the original artwork. Was thoroughly disappointed after catching one.
- Jirachi's third eye was a pouch.
- Always thought Foretress was wearing glasses.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I always thought Sudowoodo was Rock and Grass type as well.

Oh, this. And to think I used to tell this a lot to my friends until I learned of its Rock typing. It also took me a while to distinguish it as a rock than a tree.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
Another thing is I thought Shieldon's nose was a frowny face, so I thought he was just really unhappy and got really angry when he evolves.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I used to think Tropius was the final evolved form of Chikorita. I learned otherwise once I actually started paying attention.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Due to the way it was positioned in some of its earlier artwork, I thought the fin on Kingdra's face was its tongue sticking out of its mouth. Doesn't look so derpy anymore now that I know better.

I'm also guilty of the common Cradily and Gardevoir misconceptions. Thank goodness for Colosseum, or I'd still be thinking Gardevoir had a really pointy nose.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
who else thought that this guy's ears we're his "eyes"

june_new_p16_01.jpg

zomgzeus

I always thought Ivysaur could fly like a helicopter

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
who else thought that this guy's ears we're his "eyes"

june_new_p16_01.jpg

I fell for it as well. Had it been coloured differently, no confusion would've taken place.