• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Design origins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Everyone knows that many Pokemon are based off of mythical creatures as opposed to real ones. Many obvious ones include dragons and ghosts and other things. But some are not quite as obvious as others. What is Gligar based off of? What about Dunsparce? Is Frosslass based off of anything in particular. This is to discuss origins of certain designs. In other words, if you know the origin of a certain Pokemon's design, and you think others might not know, but would like to know, post them here.

For example, Magikarp and Gyrados are based off of the mythical dragon, Ryu. Ryu is a fish that turns into a powerful serpentine dragon.

There are others out there that some may know. Post the one's you know of.

CuriousHeartless

Everyone knows that many Pokemon are based off of mythical creatures as opposed to real ones. Many obvious ones include dragons and ghosts and other things. But some are not quite as obvious as others. What is Gligar based off of? What about Dunsparce? Is Frosslass based off of anything in particular. This is to discuss origins of certain designs. In other words, if you know the origin of a certain Pokemon's design, and you think others might not know, but would like to know, post them here.

For example, Magikarp and Gyrados are based off of the mythical dragon, Ryu. Ryu is a fish that turns into a powerful serpentine dragon.

There are others out there that some may know. Post the one's you know of.

Gligar- Vampire Bats mixed with Scorpions. Possibly Gargoyles.
Dusnparce- I believe it is based on the Tsuchinoko.
Froslass- A Yokai.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
A lot of these answers can be found on Bulbapedia. Just check the bottom of the page where it says "Origin"

Gligar: maybe a Scorpionfly? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpionfly
Dunsparce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko
Froslass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna
Stunfisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazer
Jellicent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon
Gothitelle: I actually don't know. The Bulbapedia explanation didn't really make sense to me.
Reuniclus: probably a cell based on its earlier evolutions, but also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Gligar- Vampire Bats mixed with Scorpions. Possibly Gargoyles.

I think there's a name for it, though.

Froslass- A Yokai.

That's vague. A yokai is just a demon usually assosiated with Japan.

Anyway, a few obvious ones.

Drowzee/Hypno/Munna/Musharna: They're all based off of a Baku, obviously.
Vulpix/Ninetails: They're based off of a Kitsune, obviously.
Baltoy/Claydol: They are based off of possessed clay dolls, an enemy commonly seen in RPGs, and probably has ties elsewhere.

And please restrain from ASKING about origins. That could get the topic locked. Only post origins.

Last edited:

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Frosslass is a Yuki Onna.
Arceus is a Quiln.
Arcanine is a Shisha.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Frosslass is a Yuki Onna.
Arceus is a Quiln.
Arcanine is a Shisha.

For those more familiar with these names, Shisha is also known as Komainu, and Quiln is also known as Kirin. (I think... Correct me if I'm wrong.)

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
A lot of these answers can be found on Bulbapedia. Just check the bottom of the page where it says "Origin"

Gligar: maybe a Scorpionfly? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpionfly
Dunsparce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko
Froslass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna
Stunfisk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazer
Jellicent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon
Gothitelle: I actually don't know. The Bulbapedia explanation didn't really make sense to me.
Reuniclus: probably a cell based on its earlier evolutions, but also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Gothitelle is based on Gothic Lolita, a fashion style in Japan.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
My favorite origin is Lombre, which is based off the mythical Japanese creature known as the Kappa. The Kappa are water-dwelling scaly creatures that live in bodies of water. They're about the size of a child. They're mostly known for causing mischief, but are also known to drown people and kidnap children at their worst. Their most distinguishing feature is an indentation in their head that allows them to store water, which is the source of their power.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Mawile is a Futakuchi-onna, which is a yókai with two mouths (a normal one located on her face and second one on the back of the head beneath the hair).

Vulpix/Ninetails: They're based off of a Kitsune, obviously.
Zoroark is also based on the kitsune, it also bears resemblance to werewolves.

Espeon is based on the Nekomata, which is a Bakeneko with a forked tail.

Porygandrew

Hold onto your butts, here comes an info-dump of the first 3 generations!

#001 ;001; Bulbasaur (Fushigidane) / #002 ;002; Ivysaur (Fushigisou) / #003 ;003; Venusaur (Fushigibana):
English Name Origin
:
Bulbasaur: “Bulb” (a part of a plant) + “Saur” (Latin for “lizard”)
Ivysaur: “Ivy” (a plant) + “Saur
Venusaur: “Venus” (from Venus Fly Trap) + “Saur”​
Japanese Name Origin:
Fushigidane: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Tane (Seed). As Ed pointed out earlier, "da ne" can also be a rough English equivalent of "isn't it?", thus leading to a pun. I think in the Japanese version of "The Island of Giant Pokemon", Satoshi's Fushigidane even ended most of his sentences with that in the subtitles (I may have to watch it again, but that's what I remember).
Fushigisou: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Sou (Grass).
Fushigibana: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Hana (Flower).​
Species:
Toads with dinosaur-like characteristics. Note: they have sprawled legs, which are not what dinosaurs had. Toads do not hop all the time, they sometimes crawl.

#004 ;004; Charmander ( Hitokage ) / #005 ;005; Charmeleon (Lizard) / #006 ;006; Charizard ( Lizardon ):
English Name Origin
:
Charmander: "Char" comes from "Charcoal", + "mander" is part of "salamander", which is apparently what Charmander is. (Fire Suicune)
Charmeleon: "Char" + "meleon" comes from "chameleon". (Fire Suicune)
Charizard: "Char" + "izard" comes from "lizard". (Fire Suicune)​
Japanese Name Origin:
Hitokage: Hi (Fire) + Tokage (Lizard)
Lizard: Based off the English word "lizard".
Lizardon: Based off both the English words "lizard" and "don", the head of a crime organization (assuming Palette is correct on this, I don't think the name was intended to have such a negative meaning. I think they were focusing on the leading aspect of a "don").​
Species:
Charmander is a salamander, which in folklore is associated with fire, Charmeleon is a hadrosaur/salamander mix, and Charizard is your typical western dragon

#007 ;007; Squirtle (Zenigame) / #008 ;008; Wartortle ( Kameil ) / #009 ;009; Blastoise ( Kamex ):
English Name Origin

Squirtle: The 'squirt' part comes from the word squirt, which could mean 1.) Tiny, as Squirtle is the Tiny Turtle Pokemon, or 2.) to squirt water, which Squirtle does when it uses moves like Water Gun; the 'irtle' part comes from the word turtle (which is what animal Squirtle is based on). (loonatic)
Wartortle: "War" references to a battle, hence it being good during a battle, and "tortle" comes from 'turtle', the animal which it is based on. (Jdrawer)
Blastoise: A mix of blast (refers to its cannons) and tortoise (the animal it is based on). (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Zenigame: Zenigame. Translates to "coin turtle", and it's an actual species of turtle.
Kameil : Kame (Turtle), also based off the English word "tail".
Kamex : Kame (Turtle), also based off the English word "max", short for maximum.​
Species:
Squirtle and Wartortle look tons like the Seychelle terrapin (and Squirtle's Japanese name is the same as the zenigame), Wartortle is a minogame, while Blastoise is a tortoise/tank mix (note the large canons on its back :p)

#010 ;010; Caterpie (Caterpie) / #011 ;011; Metapod (Trancel) / #012 ;012; Butterfree (Butterfree):
English Name Origin

Caterpie: A different way of saying 'caterpillar', which is what it is based of. (Sinnoh Champion)
Metapod: A combination of metamorphisis and pod (refering to its pod-like shape). (prettybigjoe)
Butterfree: Portmanteau of Butterfly, referring to what it's based on, and free, most likely referring to the fact that it is free from its cocoon. (Rayquaza Master777)​
Japanese Name Origin
Caterpie: Based off the English word "caterpillar". Palette also says ??????????????, which means "Pii (word used to express something cute)". I don't know if it's Japanese slang, but from what I've seen, things starting with the letter "p" do seem to give off a cute vibe. Since I never heard such slang myself, I'll come to the conclusion that it's based off "pea", the legum-turned-cute-English-slang. Surely, we're all familiar with terms like "sweet pea" and "sugar pea" and whatnot.
Trancel: Based off the English words "trance", "transform", and "cell".
Butterfree: Based off the English words "butterfly" and "free".​
Species
Caterpie is a spicebush swallowtail butterfly caterpillar (1 2) with its osmeterium (the pink forked thing) permanently extended, while Metapod is a Pieris Rapae pupa (link) and Butterfree may be a black-veined white butterfly

#013 ;013; Weedle (Beedle) / #014 ;014; Kakuna (Cocoon) / #015 ;015; Beedrill (Spear):
English Name Origin

Weedle: Portmanteau of Wee, referring to its size, and needle, referring to the needle on its head. (Rayquaza Master777)
Kakuna: A corruption of the word Cocoon. (eonmaster_457)
Beedrill: Beedrill is a bee with two large stingers that looks like oversized drills, so its name is really a combination of 'bee' and 'drill'. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Beedle: Based off the English words "beetle" and "needle".... according to Palette, anyway. I personally think, considering it's a bee larva, the base of "bee" and "needle" would make more sense.
Cocoon: Based off the English word "cocoon".
Spear: Based off the English word "spear". Palette also says it's based off of "piasu" (pierce). It also says it's based off of "supia" and "supiaa".... while one of these is the Japanese pronunciation of the weapon in question, the other, "supiaa", Palette claims means "to jab, skewer, etc." Maybe Japan has a different pronunciation for "spear", the weapon, and "spear", the term we use for skewering something. I don't know.​
Species
Stages of bees, and wasps. Bee larva (this, the originally linked picture, is a bee moth larva, hence the "AphoSoc" at the end of the url is short for Aphomia sociella), bee pupa, and a wasp

#016 ;016; Pidgey (Poppo) / #017 ;017; Pidgeotto ( Pigeon) / #018 ;018; Pidgeot ( Pidgeot):
English Name Origin

Pidgey: Another word to replace 'Pigeon' as Pidgey is based off of a Pigeon. (Pokenicks)
Pidgeotto: Its name is a corruption of 'pigeon', the bird it is based on, and '-otto' possibly refers to Otto Lilienthal, a man who successfully ompleted multiple gliding flights. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Pidgeot: A misspelling of the word 'pigeon,' the bird that Pidgeot is based off of. Its name is also pronounced PID-JET, with the latter being jet, like the actualy word 'jet', a very fast aeroship that can fly through the air at very fast speeds like Pidgeot. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Poppo: Hatopoppo.... or maybe it's read "Kupoppo" or something..... the kanji at the beginning means "pigeon, dove", but I don't know what the "poppo" means. Maybe this is a specific species of pigeon or something, or perhaps a term for street pigeons. I'm just guessing on this one.
Pigeon: Based off the English word "pigeon"
Pidgeot: Based off the English words "pigeon" and "jet".​
Species
Pidgey looks far more like a cedar waxwing or a female northern cardinal than any pigeon I've ever seen, while Pidgeotto and Pidgeot are more like hawks or falcons

#019 ;019; Rattata ( Koratta) / #020 ;020; Raticate (Ratta):
English Name Origin

Rattata: Combination of the words 'Rat' (A rodent, as Rattata is base on a rat) and Attack (for its powerful attacks like Hyper Fang). (Power of Fire)
Raticate: Corruption of the word 'eradicate', meaning to exterminate or destroy. The 'e-' was taken off of the word so that is corresponds better with the species it is based on, the rat. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Koratta: Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child), and the English word "rat".
Ratta: Based off the English word "rat".​
Species
Rat and nutria ( 1 2). ratatosk

#021 ;021; Spearow (Onisuzume) / #022 ;022; Fearow (Onidrill):
English Name Origin

Spearow: From 'Spear' which is a weapon used in catching fish, and 'Sparrow' which is a bird. The 'spear' part is implied when its first attack is 'Peck'. Its main prey is Magikarp, unlike Pidgeys, which are Caterpies. (Grande Ball)
Fearow: Combination of the word 'Fear' (for its vicious behaviour to attack anyone in its terrortory) and Sparrow (a type of bird). (Power of Fire)​
Japanese Name Origin
Onisuzume: Oni (a type of ogre or demon in Japanese folklore), Suzume (Sparrow).
Onidrill: Oni (a type of ogre or demon in Japanese folklore), and the English word "drill".​
Species
Some sort of hawk and crane/condor. Octoboy suggests that fearow is a chimera of a bunch of different birds. Anyone have a specific species?

#023 ;023; Ekans (Arbo) / #024 ;024; Arbok (Arbok):
English Name Origin

Ekans: Ekans' name spelled backwards is 'snake', and Ekans is a snake. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Arbok: Arbok's name spelled backwards is 'kobra', which is what Arbok looks like. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Arbo: Based off of "boa", a type of snake. It's worth noting that, similar to Ekans in English, Arbo's name can kinda spell "boa" when the name's reversed. This is ??? (boaa). If you ignore the extension line and just place ? (bo) at the end, you get ??? (Aabo).
Arbok: Based off the reversed English spelling of the word "cobra".​
Species
Generic snake and cobra - both represent a venomous snake as well as a constrictor.

(#172 Pichu) / #025 ;025; Pikachu ( Pikachu) / #026 ;026; Raichu ( Raichu):
English Name Origin

Pikachu: Portmanteau of "pikapika" (onomatopoeia of the sound of sparking electricity) and "chuchu" (likewise for the sound of a squeaking animal), basically meaning "sparking mouse." (BCVM22)
Raichu: Portmanteau of "rai" (Japanese for "thunder") and "chuchu" (Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of a squeaking animal), basically meaning "thunder mouse," in reference to being a larger and more powerful version of Pikachu. (BCVM22)​
Japanese Name Origin
Pikachu: Based off of "chuu", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes. Palette says the "pika" refers to electricity, but I'm sure several of us have heard by now that "pikapika" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for glittering or sparkling.
Raichu: Rai (Thunder), and "chuu", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes.​
Species
Mountain viscacha and kangaroo rat? Though similarly named, it is suggested that Pikachu is NOT based on the pika.

#027 ;027; Sandshrew (Sand) / #028 ;028; Sandslash (Sandpan):
English Name Origin

Sandshrew: Sandshrew's name is a combination of 'sand' (as it lives in desert-like areas) and 'shrew' (the small rodent-like mammal it is based on). (Buraddo_Aipom)
Sandslash: Sand (Where it lives, in the sand/storm) And Slash from what it does with it's claws or something. (Bobby Frank JR)​
Japanese Name Origin
Sand: Based off the English word "sand".
Sandpan: Based off the English word "sand" and "pangolin", a mammal that's kinda like an armadillo with spikey scales and the ability to climb trees.​
Species
Pangolin and porcupine/giant armadillo

#029 ;029; Nidoran (Nidoran) / #030 ;030; Nidorina ( Nidorina) / #031 ;031; Nidoqueen ( Nidoqueen):
English Name Origin

Nidoran: Nidoran ♀'s name may be based on the word 'needle', coming from its Poison-Type. It may be based on 'nido', which means two times/two degrees, referring to there being two distinct evolutionary lines with similar names and traits. The ♀ in its name is an indication of its female gender. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Nidorina: Its name is derived from "nido," which is Japanese for twice/second time (referring to the two evolution lines of Nidoran) and "niña," which is Spanish for girl. (Kyogre Master)
Nidoqueen: Comes from "nido," which is Japanese for twice/second time (referring to the two evolution lines of Nidoran) and "queen," referencing the fact that it is the final evolution of the female half of Nidoran's evo line. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Nidoran: Based off the English word "needle", and ? Ran (Egg).
Nidorina: Based off the English word "needle" and the Spanish word "bambina", which is used to describe little girls. Also supposedly based off of "drill", which the Japanese would pronounce as "doriru" (both it and Nidorina have the "dori" part in them).
Nidoqueen: Based off the English words "needle" and "queen".​
Species
Rabbits and, with 'Rina, rhino (which you can especially see in Nidorina's joints) baragon

#032 ;032; Nidoran ( Nidoran) / #033 ;033; Nidorino ( Nidorino) / #034 ;034; Nidoking ( Nidoking):
English Name Origin

Nidoran: Nidoran ♂'s name may be based on the word 'needle', coming from its Poison-Type. It may be based on 'nido', which means two times/two degrees, referring to there being two distinct evolutionary lines with similar names and traits. The ♂ in its name is an indication of its male gender. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Nidorino: Its name is derived from "nido," which is Japanese for twice/second time (referring to the two evolution lines of Nidoran) and "niño," which is Spanish for boy. (Kyogre Master)
Nidoking: Comes from "nido," which is Japanese for twice/second time (referring to the two evolution lines of Nidoran) and "king," referencing the fact that it is the final evolution of the male half of Nidoran's evo line. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Nidoran: Based off the English word "needle", and ? Ran (Egg).
Nidorino: Based off the English word "needle" and the Spanish word "bambino", which is used to describe little boys. Also supposedly based off of "drill", which the Japanese would pronounce "doriru" (both it and Nidorino have the "dori" part in them).
Nidoking: Based off the English words "needle" and "king".​
Species
Rabbits and, with 'Rino, rhino (which you can especially see in Nidorino's joints)

(#173 Cleffa) / #035 ;035; Clefairy (Pippi) / #036 ;036; Clefable (Pixy):
English Name Origin

Clefairy: 'Clef' refers to a musical term, thus implying Clefairy's love (and ability) to sing. Fairies are mythical creatures, much like Clefairy (and its magical abilities) itself. (Trynyti)
Clefable: 'Clef' refers to a musical term, thus implying Clefable's love (and ability) to sing. Fables are folk tales, typically with a moral, often involving fanciful events, especially talking animals. (Trynyti)​
Japanese Name Origin
Pippi: Palette says "pippi" is a type of "fairy, sprite, elf, pixy, etc." Does anyone have any further info on this?
Pixy: Based off the English word "pixy".​
Species
Fairies

#037 ;037; Vulpix (Rokon) / #038 ;038; Ninetales (Kyukon):
English Name Origin

Vulpix: Comes from "vulpes" the latin word for fox (the animal it's based on) and '-ix' from "six" because it has 6 tails. (Poisonmaster).
Ninetales: Corruption from the words "nine" & "tails". (Poisonmaster).​
Japanese Name Origin
Rokon: Roku (Six), and "kon", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a fox makes..
Kyukon: Kyuu (Nine), and "kon", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a fox makes..​
Species
Red fox/kitsune and kyuubi kitsune (nine-tailed kitsune)

(#174 Igglybuff) / #039 ;039; Jigglypuff (Purin) / #040 ;040; Wigglytuff (Pukurin):
English Name Origin

Jigglypuff: From the words 'jiggly' and 'puff.' 'Jiggly' is a form of 'jiggle,' or 'jig' which can be a dance movement, as Jigglypuff enjoys dancing. 'Puff' is a reference to the Pokémon when it puffs itself up when someone stops its music or singing. (Buraddo_Aipom).
Wigglytuff: From the words 'wiggly' and 'tuff.' 'Wiggly' is a form of 'wiggle,' which can be a dance movement, as Wigglytuff enjoys dancing. 'Tuff' is a misspelling of the word 'tough,' as this relates to the Pokémon in the fact that it's the final evolution in its evo line. (Buraddo_Aipom).​
Japanese Name Origin
Purin: "Purinpurin shiteiru", which, after doing some research, I can come to the assumption means "to be smooth" (though it's also worth mentioning that "purin" means "pudding"). Palette also said it's based off the English word "pretty", which would be spelt as "puritii"..
Pukurin: Fukureru (to expand), "Purinpurin shiteiru" (which I'm assuming means "to be smooth"), and the English word "pretty"..​
Species
Balloons with cat/rabbit ears

#041 ;041; Zubat (Zubat) / #042 ;042; Golbat (Golbat) / (#169 Crobat):
English Name Origin

Zubat: Possible combination of 'bat'(as it is based off of a bat) and 'zubatto'(a tool that is used for peircing things since Zubat has attacks that involve its mouth - Leech Life & Bite are examples). (Buraddo_Aipom).
Golbat: Combination of the words 'Ghoul' (From its intimidating look) and Bat (An animal it's based on). (Power of Fire).​
Japanese Name Origin
Zubat: Based off the English word "bat", and "zuba" is supposedly some kind of immitative sound. Palette also mentions something about a hit superhero from 1976 called "The Talented Zubat". Does anyone know about this? "zubatto" which is the sound of a whip snapping.
Golbat: Based off the English words "gold" and "bat". Palette also mentions something about a hit superhero from 1966 called "The Golden Bat". Does anyone know about this?.​
Species
Generic bats

#043 ;043; Oddish ( Nazonokusa) / #044 ;044; Gloom ( Kusaihana) / #045 ;045; Vileplume ( Ruffresia) (or #182 Bellossom):
English Name Origin

Oddish: A mix of odd and radish. It literaly means odd radish. (Drake Pokétrainer).
Gloom: Its name describes the its attitude, as it often drools and has a lazy appearance. (sockyskarmie).
Vileplume: The prefix 'vile' means 'stinky', and Vileplum is said to be stinky. (Jdrawer)
*The suffix 'plume' means 'a visual pattern of fumes', which are emitted from the large flower on Vileplume's head. (Buraddo_Aipom).​
Japanese Name Origin
Nazonokusa: Nazo (Mystery), ? Kusa (Grass)..
Kusaihana: Kusai (Stinky), ? Hana (Flower)..
Ruffresia: Based off of "raflessia", the world's biggest flower, a parasitic plant which gives off a scent similar to rotting meat..​
Species
Leshy, mandrake, rafflesia

#046 ;046; Paras ( Paras) / #047 ;047; Parasect ( Parasect):
English Name Origin

Paras: Comes of parasite, it refers to the two mushrooms on its back. (Drake Pokétrainer)
Parasect: A mix of parasite and insect, the mushroom is the parasite, Parasect is the insect. (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Paras: Based off the English word "parasite".
Parasect: Based off the English words "parasite" and "insect".​
Species
Cicada nymph and hermit crab (1 2) Kingler's Kindom does an in-depth profile of a paracitic fungus, a cicada nymph, and the red, spotted mushroom on its back.

#048 ;048; Paras (Kongpang) / #049 ;049; Parasect (Morphon):
English Name Origin

NAME: Derived from "venom" (referring to its Poison type) and "gnat" (a small insect; referring to it being the Insect Pokemon and a Bug-type). (loonatic)
NAME: A mix of venom or venomous and moth. The spores on its wings are venomous and it is a moth. (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kongpang: Based off the English term "compound eyes", which would be pronounced in Japanese like "konpaundoai". That contains the syllables necessary to spell out "Konpan".
Morphon: Based off of "morufochou", a species of butterfly, and the English word "phone".​
Species
Moth flies?

#050 ;050; Diglett (Digda) / #051 ;051; Dugtrio (Dugtrio):
English Name Origin

Diglett: 'Dig' is to go underground, wich is what Diglett does. -lett is a misspelling of 'let', meaning small, mini, or junior. So Diglett means 'tiny digger'. (Jdrawer)
Dugtrio: 'Dug' is the past tense form of 'dig', which is when you go beneath the ground, where Dugtrio live. The 'trio' suffix means 'three'. since there are three Pokémon. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Digda: Based off the English word "dig".
Dugtrio: Based off the English words "dug" and "trio". Palette seems to have made an error here, since it says "dig" instead of "dug".​
Species
Bop-a-moles, Dosojin

#052 ;052; Meowth (Nyarth) / #053 ;053; Persian ( Persian):
English Name Origin

Meowth: Portmanteau of Meow, which is the sound a cat makes, and mouth, referring to its large mouth and the fact that Team Rocket's Meowth can talk. (Rayquaza Master777)
Persian: Its name simply comes from Persian Cats, a breed of cats (the animal Perisan is based on). (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Nyarth: Based off of "nyaa", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes.
Persian: Based off of the "Persian", a breed of cat.​
Species
Maneki neko/seal point ragdoll cat, persian cat, and cougar

#054 ;054; Psyduck (Koduck) / #055 ;055; Golduck (Golduck):
English Name Origin

Psyduck: Combination of 'psychic' (since it has psychic abilities) and 'duck' (the animal it's based on). (Buraddo_Aipom)
Golduck: Combination of 'gold' (as some of its Pokédex entries sates it is faster than a human swimming champion, reffering to a gold medalist) and 'duck', the animal it is based on. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Koduck: Ko (Small), ?*? (Child), and the English word "duck".
Golduck: Based off the English words "gold" and "duck".​
Species
Platypus and kappa

#056 ;056; Mankey ( Mankey) / #057 ;057; Primeape (Okorizaru):
English Name Origin

Mankey: Mankey's name may be a hybrid of the words man and monkey. Another theory is that Mankey's name is a combination of the words mad and monkey, due to this Pokémon's contrary and aggressive personality. (Power of Fire)
Primeape: Its name can be a possible misspelling of 'primate', meaning 'prime', or 'first rank', refering to Primeape being a champion fighter, makeing it a first rank-er. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Mankey: Based off the English words "monkey" and "man".
Okorizaru:Okoru (to be angry), ? Saru (monkey)​
Species
Pygmy marmoset

#058 ;058; Growlithe (Guardie) / #059 ;059; Arcanine (Windie):
English Name Origin

NAME: Combo of 'growl', a sound it makes, and 'lithe', meaing flexible, which Growlithe is. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Arcanine: "Arca" came from the word arcane, which means "mysterious"; "canine" refers to a dog. In shorter terms of description...a mysterious dog. (starfire_jirachi)​
Japanese Name Origin
Guardie: Based off the English word "guard".
Windie: Based off the English word "wind".​
Species
Shishi

#060 ;060; Poliwag (Nyoromo) / #061 ;061; Poliwhirl (Nyorozo) / #062 ;062; Poliwrath (Nyorobon) (or #186 Politoed):
English Name Origin

Poliwag: From "polliwog," a frog progressing through the tadpole stage of its development. As they grow and develop, polliwogs greatly resemble Poliwag, with a large tail (the basis for "-wag") and legs but no arms. (BCVM22)
Poliwhirl: "Poli" from "poliwog," in reference to its froglike form; "whirl" meaning "to spin," from its circular, spinning stomach. (BCVM22)
Poliwrath: "Poli" from "poliwog," in reference to its froglike form; "wrath" meaning anger or punishment, in reference to its Fighting-type. (BCVM22)​
Japanese Name Origin
Nyoromo: Mo (seaweed, duckweed, algae, etc.), and "nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering.
Nyorozo: "Nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering.
Nyorobon: "Nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering, and something called a "bonbon", which Palette says is some kind of assistance.​
Species
Tadpoles

#063 ;063; Abra (Casey) / #064 ;064; NAME (Yungerer) / #065 ;065; Alakazam (Foodin):
English Name Origin

Abra: Abra's evolution line all have the words from the phrase "Arba, Kadabra, Alakazam!". (Buraddo_Aipom)
Kadabra: Abra's evolution line all have the words from the phrase "Arba, Kadabra, Alakazam!". (Buraddo_Aipom)
Alakazam: Abra's evolution line all have the words from the phrase "Arba, Kadabra, Alakazam!". (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Casey: Based off of Edgar Cayce, a self-proclaimed psychic. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.
Yungerer: Based off of Uri Geller, a self-proclaimed psychic. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.
Foodin: Based off of Harry Houdini, a magician. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.​
Species
(Abra looks slightly like a possom to me, and stromdusk suggests coyote). Abra is based on Edgar Cayce, the "Sleeping Prophet"; Kadabra is based on Uri Geller, the Israeli spoonbender; Alakazam's Japanese name is based on Houdini, but it the creature appears to be merely an exaggeration of Kadabra.

#066 ;066; Machop (Wanriky) / #067 ;067; Machoke (Goriky) / #068 ;068; Machamp (Kairiky):
English Name Origin

Machop: A combination of Macho meaning tough and Chop as in Karate Chop. (RagTag)
Machoke: Combination of 'macho', as Machoke is very musculiar, and 'choke', refering to a move used to fight, the chokehold (this refers to Machoke since it's a fighting type). (Buraddo_Aipom)
Machamp: Combination of 'macho', as Machamp is very musculiar, and 'champ', since Machamp is a champion fighter. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Wanriky: Wanryoku (Physical strength). The ? also has "riki" as one of its readings.
Goriky: Gouriki (Herculean strength). Also could be based off of ?? Kyouryoku (Powerful), where both kanji also have "gou" and "riki" for their readings respectively. Palette also mentions ??, which I don't know how to read as a whole, but the first kanji could be read as "gou" and can mean "excelling", and I'm sure you're all familiar with the second kanji by now. There's also some novelist named, and I don't know how to romanize this, "Gourikii". I'm guessing it may be German or something, but I couldn't find anything when I searched stuff like "Gohricky" or whatever. Anyone familiar with this novelist?
Kairiky: Kairiki (Superhuman strength).​
Species
American wrestlers/Dilophosaurs - could also share the same origin as Goro (see Ledian, Metang, and Salamence)

#069 ;069; Bellsprout (Madatsubomi) / #070 ;070; Weepinbell (Utsudon) / #071 ;071; Victreebel (Utsubot):
English Name Origin

Bellsprout:A bell sprouting out of the ground (its head is bell-shaped, probably like a bell pepper). (Kutie Pie)
Weepinbell: It is a combination of 'weeping' and 'bell'. Weeping plants are those who droop, much like Weepinbell. (Grande Ball)
Victreebel: AFrom "victor" or "victory" meaning champion, refering to it as the strongest of its family, "tree" because it is a plant, and "bell" because its first form is a bell flower and each member has a bell shape. (Voltaic)​
Japanese Name Origin
Madatsubomi: Mada (Yet, still, etc.), Tsubomi (Flower bud).
Utsudon: Utsubogazura, which is a species of insect-eating plant. I'm guessing it's the Japanese name for the pitcher plant.
Utsubot: Utsubogazura, which is a species of insect-eating plant. I'm guessing it's the Japanese name for the pitcher plant. The English word "pod", like a shell or a cocoon, though I think "pot" would make more sense given it's shape (again, I'm going by what Palette has down). "Robot", which I doubt is correct, and ??** Bottou (to immerse oneself).​
Species
Pitcher plants

#072 ;072; Tentacool (Menokurage) / #073 ;073; Tentacruel (Dokukurage):
English Name Origin

Tentacool: A combination of 'tentacle', as it has many tentacles, and the word 'cool', possibly reffering to it living in very cool, or cold, waters. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Tentacruel: A mix of 'tentacle' and 'cruel'. It has alot of tentacles and reffering to the dex entrys, it is a cruel Pokémon. (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Menokurage: Me (Eye), Kurage (Jellyfish), and Menou (Agate, a type of gem).
Dokukurage: Doku (Poison), Kurage (Jellyfish).​
Species
Jellyfish

#074 ;074; Geodude (Ishitubute) / #0075 ;075; Graveler (Golone) / #076 ;076; Golem (Golonya):
English Name Origin

Geodude: A combination of Geode a type of rock formation and Dude a slang term meaning person. (RagTag)
Graveler: Misspelling of 'gravel', a rocky substance, as Graveler is a rock type. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Golem: A golem is a sort of Titan mainly made of earthly qualities. Hence Golem being a Rock/Ground type. (~Spacial_Rendation~)​
Japanese Name Origin
Ishitubute: The first kanji is Ishi (Rock) and the last kanji is Tsubute (Throwing stones). I don't know where that middle kanji fits in pronunciation of the whole phrase, but its meaning is "to fly". Palette goes on to mention throwing of small pebbles. I don't know, maybe this is some kind of technique name or a mechanism or something. There must've been some reason for Palette to define it. Further info would be appreciated. This term is used geologically. It literally means something like "hetereogeneous materials", with "rock" implied as it is a geological term. This very likely refers to the nature of a geode, a hollow, usually spheroidal rock with crystals (made of a different substance from the surrounding rock) lining the inside wall. Describes Geodude very well.
Golone: "Gorogoro", the Japanese sound effect for rolling or tumbling.
Golonya: "Gorogoro", the Japanese sound effect for rolling or tumbling.​
Species
Rocks and boulders and stones oh my!

#077 ;077; Ponyta (Ponyta) / #078 ;078; Rapidash (Gallop):
English Name Origin

Ponyta: Combination of 'pony', the animal it is based on, and 'ta', probably coming from bonita, the Spanish word for 'beautiful' or 'handsome'. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Rapidash: 'Rapid' means 'fast' and 'dash' means 'to run'. Rapid + dash = to run fast. This is a play on Rapidash's ability to run very fast. This was specifically shown in the Safari race episode (Generation 1), as Ponyta evolved into Rapidash in order to break the photo finish. (Jdrawer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Ponyta: Based off the English word "pony".
Gallop: Based off the English word "gallop". Palette also mentions ?????? Tenpo no Hitotsu (Single tempo), which is music terminology. Don't know what the hell that has to do with Gallop.​
Species
Generic horse and unicorn... ON FIRE! (update with nightmare possiblity)

#079 ;079; Slowpoke (Yadon) / #080 ;080; Slowbro (Yadoran) or (Slowking):
English Name Origin

Slowpoke: Play on the actual word "slowpoke", a word to describe a slow person. (Kutie Pie)
Slowbro: A combination of 'slow', which may be a reference to it's slow, lazy lifestyle, or possibly just a reference to Slowpoke's name, and 'bro', which is short for "brother", which refers to the relationship Slowbro has with the Shellder attached to it's tail. (m190049)​
Japanese Name Origin
Yadon: Yadokari (Hermit crab), ?? Yadoru (To dwell, lodge, etc.), ?? Chidon (Dullness, stupidity).
Yadoran: Yadokari (Hermit crab), ?? Yadoru (To dwell, lodge, etc.), ? Ran (Egg).​
Species
Perhaps pygmy hippos!

#081 ;081; Magnemite (Coil) / #082 ;082; Magneton (Rarecoil) / (Magnezone):
English Name Origin

Magnemite: A portmanteau of "magnet" and "mite," or small. (Atoyont)
Magneton: "Magnet" refers to it's body being composed of magnets, and "ton" would be because of how Electrons and Protons are bunched up together in an atom. Magneton may also be based off the word 'magneton', a unit of magnetic movement. (m190049 & Cobalt_Latios)​
Japanese Name Origin
Coil: Based off the English word "coil", which can be involved in electromagnetism.
Rarecoil: Based off the English words "rare" and "coil", which can be involved in electromagnetism.​
Species
Magnets & Electromagnetic forces

#083 ;083; Farfetch'd (Kamonegi):
English Name Origin

Farfetch'd: Corruption of "far-fetched", meaning hard to believe. (Black Doom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kamonegi: Based off an old saying about a wild duck (Kamo) coming to you while carrying a sprig of green onion (Negi).​
Species
Duck with leeks dish; also maybe samurai

#084 ;084; Doduo ( Dodo) / #085 ;085; Dodrio (Dodrio):
English Name Origin

Doduo: "Do" refers to a do-do bird; "duo" means "two." That explains why Doduo has two heads. (starfire_jirachi)
Dodrio: "Do" refers to a do-do bird; "drio" is a purposeful misspelling of the word trio, which means "three." That explains why Dodrio has three heads. (starfire_jirachi)​
Japanese Name Origin
Dodo: Based off of "dodo", the extinct bird
Dodrio: Based off of "dodo", the extinct bird, and the English word "trio".​
Species
Kiwis/rheas

#086 ;086; Seel (Pawou) / #087 ;087; Dewgong (Jugon):
English Name Origin

Seel: Corruption of "seal" the marine mammal Seel is based off. (Drake Pokétrainer)
Dewgong: Corruption of the word Dugong, which is a sea mammal it's based on. (Power of Fire)​
Japanese Name Origin
Pawou: Palette thinks it's based off of "powwow", councils that were held by Native Americans. Don't know how it relates to the Pokemon, but that's all Pokeshow had.
Jugon: "Jugon" is Japanese for "dugong". With both words sounding so similar, I can assume that it was based off of the English word (I'm pretty sure dugongs only live in the waters of the Western world, so it'd be doubtful the Japanese would have a native name for it).​
Species
Harp seal and dugong/manatee/monk seal

#088 ;088; Grimer (Betbeter) / #089 ;089; Muk (Betbeton):
English Name Origin

Grimer: A play on the word 'grime', which is sludge, and that's what Grimer is composed of. A Grimer might mean a person (or thing) that works with grimer, an idea that Grimer personifies. (Jdrawer)
Muk: Corruption of "muck". (Black Doom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Betbeter: "Betobeto suru" means "to be sticky".
Betbeton: "Betobeto suru" means "to be sticky".​
Species
Sludge

#090 ;090; Shellder ( Shellder) / #091 ;091; Cloyster (Parshen):
English Name Origin

Shellder: Sounds like the word 'shelter', which could refer to its hard shell being its shelter, or how Shellder could act as shelter to Slowbro's tail or Slowking's head. (Buraddo_Aipom)
Cloyster: A mix of "clamp" and "oyster". (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Shellder: Based off the English words "shell" and "shelter".
Parshen: Based off the English words "pearl" and "shell".​
Species
Scallop and oyster

#092 ;092; Gastly ( Ghos) / #093 ;093; Haunter ( Ghos) / #094 ;094; Gengar ( Gangar):
English Name Origin

Gastly: A corruption of the word of the word 'ghastly' meaning horrific. Also incorporates the word 'gas' which is the composition of the pokemon. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Haunter: Literally meaning 'one that haunts'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Gengar:​
From 'doppelganger', a spirit that goes by the same nature as the person or animal it mimics. 'Doppelganger' means 'double goer' in German. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Japanese Name Origin
Ghos: Based off the English words "ghost" and "gas".
Ghost: Based off the English word "ghost". Palette says, like Ghos, it's also based off of "gas", though I doubt that's the case. You can't access Ghost's entry through the link I gave you, so if you want to see it for yourself, go here.
Gangar: Based off of "doppelganger".​
Species
Hitodama/Sogen-bi; partially formed ghost; doppelgänger

#095 ;095; Onix (Iwark):
English Name Origin

Onix: Reference to the precious stone, Onyx. Just spelt differently. (otaku-dono)​
Japanese Name Origin
Iwark: Iwa (Rock/Stone), and the English word "snake".​
Species
earthworm? Wyrm? (HT thinks earth dragon)

#096 ; 096; Drowzee ( Sleepe) / #097 ; 097; Hypno ( Sleeper):
English Name Origin

Drowzee: A corruption of the word 'drowzy', meaning 'sleepy'. 'Zee' is also the American pronunciation of the letter 'z', which is a common onomatopoeia for one who is sleeping. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Hypno: The Greek prefix for 'sleep' or 'to make asleep'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Sleepe: Based off the English word "sleep".
Sleeper: Based off the English word "sleeper".​
Species
Tapir baku and hypnotist

#098 ;098; Krabby (JPNName) / #099 ;099; Kingler ( Kingler):
English Name Origin

Krabby: A corruption of the word 'crabby', meaning 'ill-tempered' or 'grumpy'. 'Crabby' was chosen for its relation to the word 'crab', which is what Krabby is. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Kingler:A portmanteau of the words 'king' and 'angler', the latter meaning a fisherman. Also rhymes with 'pincer'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Crab: Based off the English word "crab".
Kingler: Based off of the English word "king", and the "king crab", a species of crab. Considering Kingler keeps its name in the English version, it's already been pointed out several times in the English-speaking community that the last part of its name is based off of another species of crab, the "fiddler crab", which Kingler strongly resembles. Oddly enough, though, Palette neglected to list such info.​
Species
Generic crab and fiddler crab

Last edited:

Porygandrew

#100 ;100; Voltorb ( Biriridama) / #101 ;101; Electrode ( Marumine):
English Name Origin

Voltorb: Portmanteau of the words 'volt', a unit of measuring electricity, and 'orb'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Electrode:An electrode is an electrical conductor usually used in building circuit boards. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Biriridama:Tama (Ball), and "biriri", the Japanese sound effect for going numb.
Marumine: "Maru" by itself means "circle". For some reason, Palette goes on to bring up ???? Manmarui (Perfectly circular). Don't understand that one.... it's also based off the English word "mine".​
Species
Pokéball mimics or ball lightning

#102 ;102; Exeggcute ( Tamatama) / #103 ;103; Exeggutor ( Nassy):
English Name Origin

Exeggcute: A portmanteau of the words 'egg' and 'execute'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Exeggutor: A portmanteau of the words 'egg' and 'executor'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Tamatama: Tama (Ball, sphere), ?? Tamatama (Casually, unexpectedly, accidentally, by chance).
Nassy: "Yashi" is Japanese for "palmtree". Also based off the English word "nuts".​
Species
Eggs and coconut tree

#104 ;104; Cubone ( Karakara) / #105 ;105; Marowak ( Garagara):
English Name Origin

Cubone: A portmanteau of the words 'cute' and 'bone'. However, there are many possibilities viable to replace 'cute', such as 'curious'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Marowak: A portmanteau of the words 'marrow', the substance within bones, and 'wack'/'whack', a colloquial term describing the action of using a longitudinal object to strike someone from above or from the side. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Karakara: "Karakara", the Japanese sound effect for bones clattering.
Garagara: The word "gara", which I couldn't find a meaning for except "pattern". I think Palette's trying to define it ????*??????????, either that, or it's some kind of famous haiku which uses "gara" as some meaningless gibberish. From what I could make, the description/haiku goes "the chicken (gara) etc., do bone-reading (gara)".​
Species
One idea is that they're prarie dogs wearing those cow skulls you find in the desert. Others say they're too reptilian, and think they might be based on a Pachycephalosaurus skull. The Pachycephalosaurus was a dinosaur whose skull was very thick at the top.

1st Generation - part 2

(#236 Tyrogue) / #106 ;106; Hitmonlee ( Sawamular):
English Name Origin

Hitmonlee: A portmanteau of the words 'hit', 'monster' (as in 'Pocket monster' or generally any other monster) and Bruce Lee, a famous Chinese kung fu master. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Sawamular: Sawamura Tadashi (Japanese naming order). He was the first kick-boxer around the world and was of Japanese nationality.​
Species
Hitmonlee Sawamular: kickboxer Sawamura Tadashi, looks like a blemyae also

#236 Tyrogue / #107 ;107; Hitmonchan ( Ebiwalar):
English Name Origin

Hitmonchan: A portmanteau of the words 'hit', 'monster' (as in 'Pocket monster' or generally any other monster) and Jackie Chan, a famous Chinese kung fu master and actor. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Ebiwalar: Ebihara Hiroyuki (Japanese naming order). A pro-boxer of Japanese nationality whom became featherweight division champion of the world in 1963.​
Species
Hitmonchan Ebiwalar: boxer Ebihara Hiroyuki

NOTE: Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are NOT based on Jackie Chan OR Bruce Lee. That's an English-named assumption.

#108 ;108; Lickitung ( Beroringa) / (#463 Lickylicky):
English Name Origin

Lickitung: A portmanteau of the words 'lick'/'licky' and 'tongue'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Beroringa: Bero (Tongue), and "perori", the Japanese sound effect for a type of eating.​
Species
(absol attacker suggested that there may be some albino fat-tailed gecko [1 2])

#109 ;109; Koffing ( Dogars) / #110 ;110; Weezing ( Matadogas):
English Name Origin

Koffing: A corruption of the word 'coughing'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Weezing: A corruption of the word 'wheezing'. A 'wheeze' is an outburst of air from the mouth that usually drains the lungs of almost all air. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Dogars: Doku (Poison), and the English word "gas".
Matadogas: Doku (Poison), Mata (Yet, still, etc.), and the English words "mustard gas" and "gas".​
Species
Air pollution/sea mines

#111 ;111; Rhyhorn (Sihorn) / #112 ;112; Rhydon ( Sidon) / (#464 Rhyperior):
English Name Origin

Rhyhorn: A portmanteau of 'rhinoceros' and 'horn'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Rhydon: A portmanteau of 'rhinoceros' and '-don', a common suffix for dinosaurs and other megafauna. '-don' is Greek for 'tooth'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Sihorn: Sai (Rhinoceros), and the English word "horn".
Sidon: Sai (Rhinoceros), and the English word "don" (see Charizard).​
Species
Rhinos

(#440 Happiny) / #113 ;113; Chansey (Lucky) / (#242 Blissey):
English Name Origin

Chansey:A corruption of the word 'chance'. Stems from Chansey's Japanese name, 'Lucky' ('Rakki' in katakana). (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Lucky: Based off the English word "lucky".​
Species
Good mother/nurses and luck. I believe it is based on the Chinese custom to paint eggs red for good luck, as it is a pink, egg shaped pokemon, which is said to be good luck. - Octoboy (source?)

#114 ;114; Tangela ( Monjara) /(#465 Tangrowth):
English Name Origin

Tangela: A corruption of the word 'tangle(r)'. To 'tangle' is to be stuck within the knots and bindings of any rope-like object. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Monjara: "Mojamoja shiteiru" (to be tousled, unkempt, have shaggy hair, etc.)​
Species
Mess of vinelike seaweed

#115 ;115; Kangaskhan ( Garura):
English Name Origin

Kangaskhan: A corruption of the famous Mongol emperor Genghis Khan. Also contains 'kanga', from 'kangaroo', a marsupial mammal from Australia known for its long legs and pouches for storing their young. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Garura: Based off of "kangaroo".​
Species
Kangaroo or Procoptodon

#116 ;116; Horsea ( Tattu) / #117 ;117; Seadra ( Seadora) / (#230 Kingdra):
English Name Origin

Horsea: A corruption of the word 'seahorse', a type of fish known for its horse-like head, vertical swimming position and curled up tail. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Seadra: A shortening of 'sea dragon'. In the animal kingdom, a sea dragon is an animal related to the sea horse except usually with a much more complex and larger body frame and a horizontal swimming position. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Tattu: Tatsu (Dragon sign of the Chinese zodiac), Tatsu (Dragon), and "Tatsu no Otoshigo" (Seahorse. In Japanese, "tatsu no otoshigo" literally means "falling child of a dragon". If anyone finds it strange, let me remind everyone that it's no different than the English language calling it a horse).
Seadora: Based off the English words "sea", "dragon", and the species of fish, "sea dragon".​
Species
Sea horses and the leafy sea dragon. It's spitting ink ability is like that of an archer fish.

#118 ;118; Goldeen ( Tosakinto) / #119 ;119; Seaking ( Azumao):
English Name Origin

Goldeen: A portmanteau of 'gold' (as in 'goldfish) and 'queen'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Seaking: A portmanteau of 'sea' and 'king', or literally 'King of the Sea'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Tosakinto: Tosakin (A species of goldfish), ??* Tosaka (Chicken's comb).
Azumao: Azumakin (A species of goldfish). Palette doesn't mention it, but I'm pretty sure it's also based off the word ? Ou (King).​
Species
Tosakin goldfish and calico ryukin goldfish, and the horn possibly came from Matsya, an avatar of Vishnu

#120 ;120; Staryu ( Hitodeman) / #121 ;121; Starmie ( Starmie):
English Name Origin

Staryu: A portmanteau of 'star' and 'you', to suit Starmie, a portmanteau of 'star' and 'me'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)
Starmie: A portmanteau of 'star' and 'me' to suit Staryu, a portmanteau of 'star' and 'you'. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Hitodeman: Hitode (Starfish), and the English word "man".
Starmie: Based off the English words "starfish", "star", and "me".​
Species
Starfish and sunstar

(#439 Mime Jr) / #122 ;122; Mr. Mime (Barrierd):
English Name Origin

Mr. Mime: Literally 'mister', a common title for a man (when the first generation of pokemon had no gender differences) and 'mime', a artist known for acting without talking. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Barrierd: Based off the English words "barrier" and "yard" (not the measurement).​
Species
Mime

#123 ;123; Scyther ( strike) / (#212 Scizor):
English Name Origin

Scyther: From 'scythe', a curved blade, made popular by the Grim Reaper. (Yonowaru in Chaos)​
Japanese Name Origin
Strike: Based off the English word "strike".​
Species
Praying Mantis

(#238 Smoochum) / #124 ;124; Jynx ( Rougela):
English Name Origin

Jynx: Corruption of the word 'jinx', which means to be cursed. This can easily relate to Jynx being a Psychic type. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Rougela: Based off the English word "rouge".​
Species
Yuki-Onna/Yama-uba/? (There was an argument on the old thread on whether or not she was based on ganguro or Yamanba. It starts here, goes on to page 9, skips a few pages, then there's a rebuttal here on page 13.). There is also controversy about jynx being a racial stereotype

(#239 Elekid) / #125 ;125; Electabuzz ( Eleboo) / (Electivire):
English Name Origin

Electabuzz: A portmanteau of Electric, referring to its type, and buzz, referring to the sound electricity makes. (~Magic Thunderbolt~​
Japanese Name Origin
Eleboo: Based off the English word "elec".​
Species
Oni

(#240 Magby) / #126 ;126; Magmar (Boober) / (Magmortar):
English Name Origin

Magmar:A corruption of the word Magma, referring to its habitat. (~Magic Thunderbolt~)​
Japanese Name Origin
Boober: Based off the English word "boost". Palette also says a ???? "boober" is some kind of fool, but I think they meant to refer to a ??? "boob"... before anyone comments, let me say now to act mature about this, for god's sake.​
Species
Fire breather? Karura

#127 ;127; Pinsir ( Kailios):
English Name Origin

Pinsir: Corruption of the word "pincer". It refers to the huge pincers on its head. (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kailios: Kairiki (Superhuman strength), and.... Icurus (sounded out in Japanese as "Ikarosu").... if Kailios were a winged insect, it would make some sense, but since it's not, I'd say it's just Palette doing some more rought guessing again.​
Species
Male stag beetle

#128 ;128; Tauros (Kentauros):
English Name Origin

Tauros: From 'Taurus', a zodiac representing a bull. It can be from 'Toro' also, which is a Spanish Fighting Bull, hinting that Tauros is an aggressive bull. (Grande Ball)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kentauros: Based off of "kentauros", another name for the centaurs of Greek mythology.​
Species
Bison

#129 ;129; Magikarp (Koiking) / #130 ;130; Gyarados ( Gyarados):
English Name Origin

Magikarp:The name is a mix of the words 'magic' and 'carp'. The '-karp' is the animal it is based on, and the 'magic' part refers to it's ability to live in any water, no matter how polluted it is. (Pika-Freaka)
The prefix 'magik' may also refer to its evolution, going from a weak fish to a powerful serpentine. (Buraddo_Aipom)
NAME: Gyarados's name may be derived from a combination of 'gyakusatsu', which means massacre/slaughter, and 'gyakkyō', meaning hardship/adversity. Both words relate to the creature's violent nature and the hardship it experienced before evolving. The 'dos' may just indicate that it's the second in its evolutionary line. (m190049)​
Japanese Name Origin
Koiking: Koi (Carp, though the Japanese word is commonly used in English to refer to those colorful carp in exotic ponds), and the English word "king".
Gyarados: The reverse-spelling of "dragoon"... some sense could be made out of that. In Japanese, it'd be ????? "doraguun", and if you remove the ? line extension and the ? "n", then reverse it, it'd be ??? "gurado". Palette also says it's based off the reverse-spelling of "dragon". Again, ???? "doragon", remove the ? "n", reverse, and you have ??? "gorado". The last thing Palette mentions is "dosu", the Japanese sound effect for acting violently.​
Species
Chinese legend of a carp turning into a sea serpent/dragon

#131 ;131; Lapras (Laplace):
English Name Origin

Lapras: Lapras's name seems to be a corruption of its Japanese name, Laplace. The name may be a reference to Pierre-Simon Laplace, a mathematician who wrote several books on the mathematical properties of the sea and tides or its name might also be derived from Lapis, a bright blue gem. (Power of Fire)​
Japanese Name Origin
Laplace: Based off of Pierre Simon Laplace, a French mathemetician who had become, for a brief time, Napoleon's interior minister. Having a name based off a historical genius would explain why Laplace is quite often portrayed as having telekenetic abilities (why it doesn't naturally learn such techniques in the games, I'll never know). Also based on the English word "lap". Considering that's where people tend to place things when they sit down, it would relate to Laplace being a ferry, wouldn't you agree?​
Species
Plesiosaurus/sea turtle

#132 ;132; Ditto (Metamon):
English Name Origin

Ditto: A wordplay on the actual word 'ditto', meaning 'copy' or 'the same'. This plays of Ditto's ability to copy into other Pokemon by using Transform. (Jdrawer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Metamon: Based off the English word "metamorphose". I think it's also based off "monster", though Palette doesn't mention it.​
Species
Silly putty, clay, and, as Yami_no_Waru puts it, "the same Japanese myth Kirby and Buu (Dragonball) do, about a pink demon that could consume enemies and mimic their abilities"

#133 ;133; Eevee ( Eievui) / #134 ;134; Vaporeon (Showers) or #135 ;135; Jolteon (Thunders) or #136 ;136; Flareon (Booster) or (#196 Espeon) or (#197 Umbreon) or (#470 Leafeon) or (#471 Glaceon):
English Name Origin

Eevee: The prounonciation of Evolutions two first letters E (ee) and V(vee). (mitchlord)
Vaporeon: Vapor as in vaporized water and the -eon suffix of all eeveelutions. (mitchlord)
Jolteon: Jolt as in lighting jolt and the -eon suffix of all eeveelutions. (mitchlord)
Flareon: Flare as in fire and the -eon suffix of all eeveelutions. (mitchlord)​
Japanese Name Origin
Eievui: Based off the initials of the word "evolution".
Vaporeon: Based off the English word "Shower".
Thunders: Based off the English word "Thunder".
Booster: Based off the English word "boost".​
Species
Fennec fox and/or maybe Blanford's fox, houkou in theory. A fox-like youkai with several elemental powers.

#137 ;137; Porygon (Porigon) / (#233 Porygon 2) / (#474 Porygon-z):
English Name Origin

Porygon: Based off of "polygon", the basis of 3D imaging.​
Japanese Name Origin
Porigon: Porygon's name comes from two words with various reasons behind them. The first is the word "polygon." The different shapes that make up its entire body are refered to as such, and it is also a reference to computer programming. The "r" in its name comes from "origami" the Japanese art of paper folding (Porygon resembles an origami crane). It may also be a reference to the stereotype that Japanese people pronounce the letter "L" as the letter "R." (Voltaic)​
Species
Polygons & ? (HT said parrot/duck)

#138 ;138; Omanyte (Omanite) / #139 ;139; Omastar (Omstar):
English Name Origin

NA Omanyte ME: Corruption of "ammonite" the extinct sea creature it's based off. (Drake Pokétrainer)
Omastar: "Oma" comes from the beginning of the word "ammonite" the creature it is based off, but spelled backwards. The "star" refers to it's star shaped body. (Drake Pokétrainer)/INDENT]
Japanese Name Origin
Omanite:
Omstar:​
Species
Ammonites

#140 ;140; Kabuto (Kabuto) / #141 ;141; Kabutops (Kabutops):
English Name Origin

Kabuto: Based on the japanese word "kabuto" (helmet (of armor); referring to it looking like a helmet). (loonatic)
Kabutops: Kabutops' name comes from its predecessor, Kabuto. The "-tops" in its name may be in reference to the fact that it is stronger and the final evolution and leader of its line. (Voltaic)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kabuto: Oumukai (Some species of nautilus, any info on the English name would be helpful), and "ammonite", an extinct marine creature which shares similarities to the nautilus.
Kabutops: Oumukai (Some species of nautilus, any info on the specie's English name would be helpful), and the English words "star" and "oyster".​
Species
Horseshoe Crab [Japanese name for Horseshoe crab is Kabutogani], trilobite
Trilobite skeleton/mantis

#142 ;142; Aerodactyl (Ptera):
English Name Origin

Aerodactyl: Combination of "aero", meaning 'air', and "pterodactyl", the name of the extinct animal group aerodactyl is based on.(If you translate it from Latin, it means "air finger"). (Drake Pokétrainer)​
Japanese Name Origin
Ptera: Based off of "pteranodon".​
Species
Long-tailed pterosaur

(#446 munchlax) /#143 ;143; Snorlax (Kabigon):
English Name Origin

Snorlax: A portmanteau of Snore and lax/relax. (eonmaster_457)​
Japanese Name Origin
Kabigon: Palette has some kind of message... ???????????????*??????????????????? Trying my best to translate, I think it says "An exploitee. Nishino Kouji-san's vain reputation (because mold grows and is eaten)". It's worth noting that ?? "kabi" is in that message, and it translates to "mold".​
Species
Gluttony/bear/Totoro?

#144 ;144; Articuno (Freezer):
English Name Origin

Articuno: Arctic (Ice) + Uno (which means '1' in Spanish). Articuno is bird number 1 of the Legendary Bird Trio. (Manafy)​
Japanese Name Origin
Freezer: Based off the English word "freezer" (as in something that freezes, not the kitchen appliance).​
Species
Quetzal, Bird-of-Paradise

#145 ;145; Zapdos (Thunder):
English Name Origin

Zapdos:​
Japanese Name Origin
Thunder: Based off the English word "thunder".​
Species
Native American Thunderbird; its long thin beak is reminiscent of a hummingbird (or something)

#146 ;146; Moltres (Fire):
English Name Origin

Moltres:​
Japanese Name Origin
Fire: Based off the English word "Fire".​
Species
Arabian/Western/Russian phoenix

#147 ;147; Dratini ( Miniryu) / #148 ;148; Dragonair ( Hakuryu) / #149 ;149; Dragonite ( Kairyu):
English Name Origin

Dratini: A fusion of the words "Dragon" (because it's a dragon) and "Tiny" (because it's small) changing the Y to an I to make it sound different. (~Spacial_Rendation~)
Dragonair: Fusion of the word Dragon (because its a dragon) and Air (Because of the little wings on the and that it flies). (~Spacial_Rendation~)
Dragonite: "Dragonite" is a reference of the word draconite, the valuable jewel thought to be inside dragons' skulls. Its name could also be a fusion of "dragon" and "knight". (~Spacial_Rendation~)​
Japanese Name Origin
Miniryu: Ryuu (Dragon), and the English word "mini".
Hakuryu: Hakuryuu (White dragon). Palette describes it as a messenger of God (that, or a white dragon that was referenced by a messenger of God). Anyone know any further cultural background on this? At least what region the tale derives from?
Kairyu: Kai (Sea), ? Kai (Apparition), ? Ryuu (Dragon), ?? Kairyuu (Ocean current).​
Species
Water dragons (I seriously doubt that Barney was an inspiration for Dragonite)

#150 ;150; Mewtwo (Myuutsu):
English Name Origin

Mewtwo: The second Mew, a Mew double. (Kutie Pie)​
Japanese Name Origin
Myuustu: Based off the English words "mutant" and the number "two" (2). Also based off of "mew", which is onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes (Palette didn't specifically refer to it being an English onomatopoeia, so I think Japan may also use "myuu" as an alternative to "nyaa". Can anyone confirm this?).​
Species
Cat-human, some think that it's a more developed embryo (see "Mew" below)

#151 ;151; Mew (Myuu):
English Name Origin

Mew: Romanization from its Japanese name Myu. (Buraddo_Aipom)​
Japanese Name Origin
Myuu: Based off the English word "mutant". Also based off of "mew", which is onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes (Palette didn't specifically refer to it being an English onomatopoeia, so I think Japan may also use "myuu" as an alternative to "nyaa". Can anyone confirm this?).​
Species
Kitten/gerbil/embryo​

Status
Not open for further replies.