• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Devolving....with ancientpower

Pokemon devolving or evolving...?

• evolving

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • devolving

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
When a pokemon evolves with ancient power it looks like a prehistoric pokemon especially when Piloswine and Yanma "evolve" they are basically devolving right? The reson this might be is because isn't evolution supposed to be a step forward not backwards? What do you guys think?

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles
Intresting thought, but mabye they were just younger versions of the prehistoric animal to start with and only now do they get noticed as one. eg piloswine is a baby mammoth.

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
Well on real life it is devolping since Momoth --> Elephant.......but also knows that it evolved because of needs, and also Mamoth is known as stronger, so it's more powerful, same as pokemon...they're more powerful so they can't devolping but instead evoling, think of it this way..the pokemon has gaine dthe anceint powers, and it fits it's needs for survival so it evolved.

Cinaclov

Pokemon Veteran
Thats an intresting thought. Devolving... hmm. I dont think so. I think that ancient power "unlocks" a previously unknown form or something, which makes sense to me.

Arbok

aka Arbok
Piloswine is a mammoth. Mamoswine is still a mammoth, but only a bigger and stronger one.

Tangela is a prehistoric plant. Tangrowth is still a prehistoric plant, but only a bigger and stronger one.

So I say evolving.

Oh, and I think Lickilicky hasn't anything to do with 'prehistoric things', .. if ye ask me.

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
I guess, they could be evolving. Hey but still acient power makes one think they are devolving....

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Pokemon don't move forward in evolution, they move forward in metamorphosis. It's only called evolution because metamorphosis was past the limit of how long a word can be. Pokemon evolution is nothing like the theory of evolution, so they don't devolve. They just develop traits of creatures who are extinct in this world.

And since when is an elephant a mammoth's evolved form? I'm pretty sure evolutionists think the mammoth just died out. Elephants are just relatives.

And mammoths definitely did not evolve into pigs. Piloswine and swinub are porcine, so they don't devolve at all.

Rattlesnakes never evolved into cobras or vice versa, so pokemon evolution is nothing like the real theory. Just look at chimchar. It evolves into a mandrill, not a human. Nobody thinks mandrills evolved from chimps.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
Hey, that's a really astute observation! In the cases of Piloswine and Yanma at least, their evolved forms truly are the prehistoric animals they "evolved" from. However, like Octoboy said, evolution in Pokemon is only a term used to signify gaining either size or strength. And Yanma and Piloswine are certainly stronger and bigger after evoluton...

PDL

disenchanted
I'm off the opinion that once long long ago, these Pokémon were once capable of evolving into those forms in the distant past. Simply by leveling up.

However, due to changes in climate/biology of these Pokémon, "modern" individuals of these species never get the chance to evolve into those stages. Thus, these forms went "extinct".

However, if these Pokémon learn the attack ancientpower, something inside them is "unlocked" and they can evolve into those ancient, more powerful forms.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
The Pokemon are still evolving, because they are not taking a step backwards. The baby comes before the adult, doesn't it? Pokemon evolution isn't like Darwin's theory of evolution, more like a gain in power and a change in looks, as has been previously stated. You cannot immediately grow stronger from devolving, while you can by evolving. I think it would be better presented with fossils such as Kabuto and Omanyte, who also evolve, but are more prehistoric than the Ancientpower evolutions. Still my answer would be the same. Though they may be based off a living/extinct creature, Pokemon will evolve in terms of power, and it isn't as technical as the Darwin theory.

Profesco

gone gently
PDL's idea fits nicely. It also explains specifically why the attack Ancientpower is needed for evolution rather than, say, an ancient ecosystem, food source, or other similar ties to the world of the "prehistoric" Pokemon.

-BJ-

Heh, this is the most thought-provoking thread I've seen in a while.

Star Dust

live let live.
I feel that since they use "ancient" powers to evolve. They gain special ancient traits which let them become their stronger selves. Imo.

Well, technically, they are "Devolving", but then again, they were in a pre-mature state when they died out, so they may be "evolving", Pokemon wise, evolution of species wise, no.

Volvagia

I think, they are devolving. It's pretty simple, old animals are stronger than the ones we got now. You could take the dinosaurs as example. They are way stronger than the animals we got now. But that's a pretty bad example. Mh... Ah. I got one now. You see, the Wolf is a pretty strong animal, and clever, too. You see, the dog, he's just like an "evolution" of the wolf. There's only one thing that's missing: strength. The wolf is way stronger than the dog. And most-likely cleverer, too. It's the same with Yanma and Yanmega, for example. Yanma is pretty weak, but Yanmega got quite some power. So in some way, Yanma is evolving, but also devolving. But there's more devolving than evolving, so I chose devolving.

KetchupO

tωisted
However, due to changes in climate/biology of these Pokémon, "modern" individuals of these species never get the chance to evolve into those stages. Thus, these forms went "extinct".
Wouldn't the weaker forms get extinct first though?

I agree that learning ancient power kinda unlocks something that causes them to evolve. So no, even though they are ancient, they are advancing and becoming more powerful so I say the evolve.

Praetor

Psephophthalmus artu
I'm off the opinion that once long long ago, these Pokémon were once capable of evolving into those forms in the distant past. Simply by leveling up.

However, if these Pokémon learn the attack ancientpower, something inside them is "unlocked" and they can evolve into those ancient, more powerful forms.

that's an interesting explanantion that conveniently explains away a lot of nonsense and since there is nothing better i shall subscribe to your theory

PDL

disenchanted

Wouldn't the weaker forms get extinct first though?

Not really.

Strength alone does not garruntee that your speices will survive and overcome an extinction event. It's all a matter of adapting to the changing enviroment. Those seemingly more powerful forms were somehow unsuitable for the changing enviroment of the Pokémon world. The previous form however was adaptable enough to survive the change.

Dinosaurs were supposed to be stronger and more evolved then cockroaches, yet who went extinct? The dinosaurs did.

It isn't just a matter of "survival of the fittest", but luck also plays a factor. "Survival of the one who survives"