• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Adventure! Discussion Thread

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah. As stated, he seems to do that. How strange! He tells such good stories but he can't seem to bring himself to tell us ALL the story.

I wish we knew what happened with Mitsumi. Why did Cyrus just let her go? Because honestly, it only seems like Jupiter fought her, and Jupiter already hated her (perhaps because she was closest to Cyrus? I got some jealousy from her for sure). What did Rowan say to her that so changed her mind? How was she able to adapt so well in such a short amount of time?

Did Koya seem...shoehorned in to anyone else? It really seems like he disrupted the flow of things. And why does he seem to be based off Silver? I wonder if he was intended to BE Silver but Ihara was told they didn't want a crossover or something.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Shoehorned? Yes.

I really hated his backstory. The whole Growlithe situation felt rushed and would've been much better if it wasn't revealed in the same chapter where they had to fight it.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah really. I mean, I can see where it was based, but at the same time, at least draw it out. Even the much-critizised Cyrus redemption plot had a framework set up for a few volumes.

I felt like that whole thing after Vol. 5 could've lasted at least 5 more volumes instead of 3.

As much as I liked Koya's backstory, it was admittedly pretty lame.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, it seems like something was planned for him that didn't wind up playing out so he shoved that in.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Yeah, this series really should have lasted more volumes, since Ihara's take on things was, IMO, unconventional but very interesting. I particularly wanted to see more of the Galactic commanders as anti-heroes in the Charon arc (particularly Mars; I love her.)

Even the much-critizised Cyrus redemption plot had a framework set up for a few volumes.

I agree, Koya needed more development (and a better backstory.) Cyrus was handled better.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if Ihara did a BW manga as a sequel to this. Hareta and Mitsumi would have so much interesting interaction with N; Hareta because both can understand Pokemon, and Mitsumi because both were raised by villainous teams.

Unfortunately, I kind of doubt it 'cause there's like three or four other BW manga out there right now with all having roughly the same plot (Special included) and the higher-ups probably feel that there's no need for another (even though I feel like this could have so much potential).

lolipiece

Staff member
Black and White sequel?

The ending to Diamond & Pearl Adventure clearly shows that it could have Hareta, Mitsumi, Jun, and Koya go to Unova...

Wait...that's three males and one female...

Then who'll wear Bianca's outfit?....Jun?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Wasn't it just Hareta and possibly Mitsumi going to wherever? Jun wasn't mentioned, and Koya is still with the International Police.

Honestly I can't see Hareta and Mitsumi showing up again. I can, however, see Koya showing up if Ihara does a Unova story.

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
I loved this series. I got to say Hareta is a funny character. I think they should make a sequel maybe Hareta takes on the Battle Frontier to earn the symbols or go to the 4 other regions to take on those Leagues. The whole Mitsumi story with Team Galataic was deep and well put though. I like the final battle with Charon. And Hareta gaining the National Dex. I think that he could go to the other regions and challenge them.

lolipiece

Staff member
Wasn't it just Hareta and possibly Mitsumi going to wherever? Jun wasn't mentioned, and Koya is still with the International Police.

Honestly I can't see Hareta and Mitsumi showing up again. I can, however, see Koya showing up if Ihara does a Unova story.

No, Koya was the one who asked Hareta to go to another region because another crime syndicate came up in another region. (They never said which so that could easily be Unova).

Mitsumi gave Hareta a new Dex and told him that Rowan wanted him to fill the national Pokedex with info. (Which he can do if he goes to another region like Unova).

Just because Jun wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that he wouldn't come (and we all know he would, whether or not Mitsumi wants him too)

I wasn't really serious about them going to Unova, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they did...

I loved this series. I got to say Hareta is a funny character. I think they should make a sequel maybe Hareta takes on the Battle Frontier to earn the symbols or go to the 4 other regions to take on those Leagues. The whole Mitsumi story with Team Galataic was deep and well put though. I like the final battle with Charon. And Hareta gaining the National Dex. I think that he could go to the other regions and challenge them.

We already have that. It's called the anime.

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
We already have that. It's called the anime.

I know the anime did the BF already. I just saying that Hareta could challenge it because of his love for battling tough opponents and Pokemon.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Pfft that would mean Ihara would probably leave out even MORE Frontier Brains.

At least in DPA he has an out since Palmer is the only one in DP, even though they were in the Platinum arc when Palmer showed up. But still.

Leety

PokeSpe Enthusiast
I do not want a sequel sent in Unova.

I WANT A SEQUEL SET IN KANTO :3

Anyway I liked the manga but found it kinda bland. I did like how in each volume there was a bonus story involving some legendary bonding with Hareta.

Then there was that one bonus story about Hareta and Mitsumi even though Mitsumi was not traveling with Hareta at that point. Reading this now, you may not care or get it. If you have read it, you will know exactly HOW strange it is. I don't want to spoil it :3

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Which bonus story would that be? Do you mean the epilogue?

Kanto would be an awesome place for them to go, if only because I can totally see Hareta making friends with Mewtwo.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
For lack of a better topic, I'd just like to say that this manga has my favorite incarnations of the three D/P Galactic commanders: Saturn, Mars, and Jupiter, since it seems like Ihara took them exactly how they were in the games and expanded on that naturally. Characters in the games usually have good characterization, but seldom character development, which is why adaptations like anime and manga are a plus, and this manga did the best in terms of developing the characterization of the commanders.

Saturn in the games was the most fanatically devoted to Cyrus and the mission to create a new world, which of course ends in conflict since Cyrus' idea of a new world wasn't the one Saturn thought it was. Here we actually see this conflict occur on his end. We see him desperately attempt to prove himself to Cyrus, turn against him and his vision once he learns it, yet still remain loyal to him on a personal level because of the empathy he has for him (it helps that Cyrus himself comes to realize his vision was messed up.)

Mars in the games was basically a kid with a crush; she adored Cyrus and wanted to help him make a better world, also not knowing what kind of world Cyrus really wanted. She also had a dichotomy between being the most violently tempermental of the group and being the most reasonable (she makes fair compromises with you in her first meeting and, in Platinum, your last meeting with you, and generally doesn't come across as badly as the other commanders do). Again, here we see more of that and get more insight. The Deoxys side-chapter particularly deals with the violent anger vs. reasonability issue she has (Put down a raging Kangaskhan...is that reasonable or over-the-top violent?" Mars has to ask herself. Apparently over-the-top violent, but Deoxys has no problem doing it.)

Jupiter in the games....was a beeyotch. That's all we got in Diamond and Pearl. In Platinum, we learned at the end that she was in with Team Galactic for the thrills rather than for nobility, and that without it she doesn't know what to do. Still not alot. With the least to go off of character-wise, it would be hard to develop her, yet Ihara did so, as even though she's a jealous, nasty person, we actually end up sympathizing with her when we see just how much her standing in Team Galactic and Cyrus' favor means to her; you really get the feeling that her life is empty and that the thrills of being in Team Galactic is the only thing that is fulfilling her, and she hates Mitsumi for threatening to take that away. An irrational emotional response, but a realistic one, and understandable.

So that's my two cents on the matter. DPA Saturn, Mars, and Jupiter are the best versions of the characters. I wasn't as fond of DPA Cyrus and Charon, though, their characterization felt inconsistant (I really liked that Cyrus found redemption, but I wish his character was more consistant beforehand so that it would feel more natural. And if Ihara was going to make Charon so super-evil, he really should have kept him serious and scary at all times; the various comedic moments with him felt really jarring considering his actions. And I'm not saying super evil villains can't be funny but he kind of crossed the line when he got defeated so pathetically. When you build up a Complete Monster who one wants to see get their butt kicked, having them end in a bumbling fashion seems inadequate. Charon wasn't so evil in the games so his defeat was fine, but replicating it here where he is so evil was the wrong move.)

Last edited:

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked DPA, but it could've been a little longer. I wanted to see Koya and Hareta battle to the finish. I wonder who would've won...Koya and Hareta.

The fact that Mitsumi is a former Team Galatic member is what kept me reading. Mitsumi is a great character, much better than Hareta.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Saturn in the games was the most fanatically devoted to Cyrus and the mission to create a new world, which of course ends in conflict since Cyrus' idea of a new world wasn't the one Saturn thought it was.

It's funny...in the games, Saturn is the first one to tell you what the real plan is, but denies it later. Perhaps he didn't know that the true vision involved everyone being rendered emotionless.

Mars in the games was basically a kid with a crush; she adored Cyrus and wanted to help him make a better world, also not knowing what kind of world Cyrus really wanted.

See, that's something I think the games and DPA differ on, since I think in the games she DID know, at least by the time the Spear Pillar came around. She's standing like fifteen feet from him when he goes on his whole rant and does nothing, shows no surprise. Same with Jupiter, although with her there's evidence that she didn't initally know (as she originally tells you that her boss will rule Sinnoh). Likely they were told at some point.

you really get the feeling that her life is empty and that the thrills of being in Team Galactic is the only thing that is fulfilling her, and she hates Mitsumi for threatening to take that away. An irrational emotional response, but a realistic one, and understandable.

Yeah, I got that impression too, that she wanted something to fill her life. I got that out of all of them, that they were all sort of empty without it and TG gave them something to believe in.

I wasn't as fond of DPA Cyrus and Charon, though, their characterization felt inconsistant (I really liked that Cyrus found redemption, but I wish his character was more consistant beforehand so that it would feel more natural.

I think the inconsistancy is pretty important, myself. If you consider that in the games he's got very strong emotions yet tries to supress them...here he's got not only very strong emotions that he can't supress, he's also got the other two attributes that also vary wildly. Both his great intelligence and strong will fail him, and when you consider that those are the three lake spirits, it makes more sense.

Although I would have liked if they'd gone for a more "emotionless" portrayal. There're hints, like how he says he forgot what fun felt like, or how emotions only cause pain. And let's face it, there's really no way to tell in the games aside from him telling you.

And if Ihara was going to make Charon so super-evil, he really should have kept him serious and scary at all times; the various comedic moments with him felt really jarring considering his actions. And I'm not saying super evil villains can't be funny but he kind of crossed the line when he got defeated so pathetically. When you build up a Complete Monster who one wants to see get their butt kicked, having them end in a bumbling fashion seems inadequate. Charon wasn't so evil in the games so his defeat was fine, but replicating it here where he is so evil was the wrong move.)

I donno, I think a bumbling complete monster works. They could have made him a bit more successful if they wanted to build him up, but my main disappointment with him (other than that he didn't capture Giratina making that the last battle, but that may have been due to time constraints) is that they didn't delve into the Rotom stuff. That seems like it would have been a perfectly DPA thing to do.

His defeat was, ultimately, pathetic. But overall, his reach exceeding his grasp seemed to be fine. I wish they'd told us what inspired such loyalty from his agents though, since no one seemed to actually LIKE him.

Also I beg to differ that he wasn't so evil in the games. This is the guy who threatened to blow up a volcano on a populated island unless he got paid protection money, and all evidence suggests that he would have done it too. That would have wiped out the Resort Area, the Battle Frontier, the Fight Area, the move tutor, Cyrus's grandfather, Flint's grandfather, etc.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
It's funny...in the games, Saturn is the first one to tell you what the real plan is, but denies it later. Perhaps he didn't know that the true vision involved everyone being rendered emotionless.

Yes, that's it. He was fine with the world being destroyed and reshaped to be better, he wanted that too and thought Cyrus and himself were on the same page. He had no idea the lines Cyrus was willing to cross and how extreme he would go to make the new world perfect, which would be to remove human spirit. Because of that, he ends up deciding that any extremism, even destroying and reshaping the world with spirit kept intact, is bad, and that Team Galactic is best off trying to change the world in more legit ways.

See, that's something I think the games and DPA differ on, since I think in the games she DID know, at least by the time the Spear Pillar came around. She's standing like fifteen feet from him when he goes on his whole rant and does nothing, shows no surprise. Same with Jupiter, although with her there's evidence that she didn't initally know (as she originally tells you that her boss will rule Sinnoh). Likely they were told at some point.

The games are styled so that their reactions couldn't be shown; that doesn't mean there wasn't any reaction. Mars and Jupiter were off-screen when Cyrus rants, so of course we see no surprise. By the time you can talk to them, they're more concerned with talking about what the hell just happened to Cyrus rather than talking about their discovery that Cyrus wants a world with no spirit.

So yeah, I highly doubt they knew in the games either. And really, why would Cyrus even tell them?

Yeah, I got that impression too, that she wanted something to fill her life. I got that out of all of them, that they were all sort of empty without it and TG gave them something to believe in.

It also explains her resentment towards Mitsumi. She really wanted to be the commander who'd serve Team Galactic best and Mitsumi kind of got in her way by being much better at it than her.

My main disappointment with him (other than that he didn't capture Giratina making that the last battle, but that may have been due to time constraints) is that they didn't delve into the Rotom stuff. That seems like it would have been a perfectly DPA thing to do.

Yeah, really. He just had one line about how he saw friendship as trivial nonsense before he got caught and arrested. The Rotom thing would've actually SHOWN that, and made Hareta and the others all the more disgusted by him and how he just discarded his oldest friend the way he did.

His defeat was, ultimately, pathetic. But overall, his reach exceeding his grasp seemed to be fine. I wish they'd told us what inspired such loyalty from his agents though, since no one seemed to actually LIKE him.

I just would've rather he gone down after a fight. Him running away and getting trapped by a disguised Looker ("PERRY THE PLATYPUS!" as you once put it) just didn't do it for me.

Also I beg to differ that he wasn't so evil in the games. This is the guy who threatened to blow up a volcano on a populated island unless he got paid protection money, and all evidence suggests that he would have done it too. That would have wiped out the Resort Area, the Battle Frontier, the Fight Area, the move tutor, Cyrus's grandfather, Flint's grandfather, etc.

Oh, don't get me wrong. As a person, he was scum in the games. His actions just didn't quite compare with the stuff Cyrus, Ghetsis, or some other bigger villains in the Pokemon franchise have done or tried to do (threatening a continent for money is horrible, but doesn't quite compare with threatening the world for megalomaniac purposes.) And he didn't seem to be very good or competent at leading Team Galactic after Cyrus was gone. In DPA, his actions ARE alot more sinister and his version of Team Galactic was genuinely threatening. Though, like you said above, nobody liked him. So how'd he get such a strong minion following?

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So yeah, I highly doubt they knew in the games either. And really, why would Cyrus even tell them?

So they wouldn't betray him at the crucial moment, of course. Especially after losing Saturn's loyalty.

Yeah, really. He just had one line about how he saw friendship as trivial nonsense before he got caught and arrested. The Rotom thing would've actually SHOWN that, and made Hareta and the others all the more disgusted by him and how he just discarded his oldest friend the way he did.

Oh golly yes that would have been fantastic. Not only discarded but used as a test subject!

You know what would have been interesting, building off the "nobody likes Charon yet somehow he has tons of minions" angle--if they'd been under mind control as well. It would have been fascinating.