• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon "Did You Know" facts Discussion thread.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Pokemon "Did You Know" facts Discussion Thread
Post "Did You Know" facts here! BUT please post one fact per post at a time.

Jirachi referenced in the Alpha Sapphire game. An ironically amazing nod or coincidence to Guile Hideout of Pokemon Adventures
250px-Guile_Hideout.png

No story spoilers here but I found something really cool and that Jirachi is referenced in the Pokemon Alpha Sapphire game and it seems only in Alpha Sapphire. So far, you can only find this on Shelly's laptop in her room in the Team Aqua Hideout. If you played both versions, you know both admins rooms are laid out differently and as far as I'm aware, this information is only accessible in the Aqua Hideout which is pretty ironic to Pokemon Adventure fans.

What happens? So basically you, the protagonist, are in Shelly's room, looking at a picture of a boy and girl next to a Pokemon with three tags on it's heads. Some letters are scratched out but it's easy to make out the name of the boy as Archie and the Pokemon as Jirachi, the girl not named but most likely is Shelly as this is in her room. The picture is dated 7/7, a reference to Japan's Star Festival which Jirachi is heavily associated with.

For those who never read Pokemon Adventures, it's just a reference to the festival but to those who have, there's a possible second layer behind the meaning of this picture and that's Guile Hideout. For the sake of no story spoilers, I'll just put it like this. Guile Hideout is an original villain of Pokemon Adventures who somehow has connections to Team Aqua, a loner making quite a dangerous presence unlike no other Pokemon villain before him and after, his goal is to use Jirachi's wish-granting powers for whatever nefarious wish this armored villain has in mind. For those who never read Pokemon Adventures, your probably still confused what that has to do with the reference to Jirachi but any further would reveal story spoilers on Guile Hideout's mysterious past. All I can say to that those who read Pokemon Adventures will think this is either a cool little nod or an amazing coincidence that it's a bit hard to believe at first that this is not a reference to Guile Hideout.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back is a VERY HEAVY reference to Japan-only MOTHER game for the Famicom.

Well... There are too many similarities between the two. Let's begin with Giegue's and Mewtwo's looks. Mewtwo is almost identical to Giegue, exept Giegue's ears are larger, he has no thing linking the head and neck, has claws and is a vivid light blue.

Then, both have a sad "childhood": Mewtwo losing (and forced to forget Amber) plus Giegue losing his mother Princess Maria and being lied to by the Starmen that she abandoned him because he was an alien. (She was actually raped and killed by the Starmen...) thus both Mewtwo and Giegue have a deep hatred towards humans.

Last but not least: Mewtwo turning Ash to stone is a rip-off of a script in the final battle vs Giegue in MOTHER: he could "diamondize" party members to prevent the Eight Melodies from being sung completely, as fully singing the song defeats him. Attacking Giegue is no good either, and Ash does the same bad attempts at Mewtwo. I'll even throw a bonus gift with that. Did you know Deoxys is based of one of the Droids in MOTHER, named E.V.E? MOTHER was already fan-translated like Mother 3, and some of Giegue's quotes are awfully close to Mewtwo's... The First movie came in 1998 in Japan while MOTHER was released 9 years earlier in 1989... Yikes.

shoz999

Fat Pikachu and Skinny Pikachu are well-known but did you know there are actually at the very least FOUR known different designs of Pikachu's body outside of the upcoming Detective Pikachu movie?

D4uNEPB.jpg
eTMIaKQ.png
mPTDkQv.png
8jAHRaj.png

It's true!
  • You have the original Pikachu design, a chubbier Pikachu with a spotted belly which is a body feature that is actually utilized in Detective Pikachu's live-action movie take on Pikachu. I call this "Spotted Pikachu".
  • You have the popular "Fat Pikachu" which is a slightly chubbier Pikachu that Ash once had early in the anime but is still utilized in the Pokemon Adventures manga to this day and is even utilized in the Cosplay Pikachu of ORAS.
  • You have the more famous well-known "Skinny Pikachu" that Ash has in the anime.
  • Finally, you have the more recent more modern design of Pikachu since Gen 5, as far as I know, featuring a much rounder Pikachu, or as I like to call "Round Pikachu", that is prominently featured in official Pokemon competitive tournaments, Pokemon TCG cards, Pikachu plushie dolls and Pokemon Generations.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I love “Round Pikachu” oml

Did you know that, in XY, you could use certain moves in battle to cause items to drop from the background? These include Berries, Evolution Stones, the weather extending rocks, and other items. This can be used with moves like Hyper Voice and Rock Slide

shoz999

I love this thread, I think I'll add it to my favs on my navigator cause I don't want to miss a thing about it !
Thanks for coming up with such a fantastic idea
Actually this is more of a revival of past couple of Did you Know threads. Speaking of Did You Know Facts, here's a surprising one.

Wally in the SM/USUM games is assumed to be an adult.

e8sJwmi.png

A lot of fans don't realize this but Wally is most likely in his early adult years in the SM/USUM games and this is due to the fact that the events of Kanto & Hoenn are assumed to take place at the same time in the Mega Evolution timeline, just like the previous timeline and we can see evidence of this through characters Red & Blue of Gen 1 and Anabel of Gen 3 who've matured so much over the years into what some assume are their 20s that they are honestly a bit unrecognizable. So it's weird for some fans knowing this that Wally almost looks the same, key-word almost if you had a closer inspection of his 3D model, as Wally is portrayed as standing a bit taller with a much more confident smirk on his face, displaying a bit of growth. You may have also notice that there is no artwork of Wally above. That's just the thing, there is no available artwork or concept art of Wally during the Sun & Moon era which makes it even more harder to tell just how much has Wally grown over the years.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Did you know that you can catch a Pokèmon of every Type on every island in USUM?

shoz999

So this fact kind of took me by surprise and others as well for those who assumed the anime came before Pokemon Adventures which is natural since the anime is the more popular one but it turns out...

The Pokemon Adventures manga made it's debut in March 3rd 1997, almost a month before the Pokemon anime made it's debut in April 1st 1997. Also the dates when Pokemon Adventures first debuted and first released it's first volume share the same date as two very important character's birthdays.

So this was something not only confirmed by various sources but also a Serebii mod who actually corrected me on a mistake I made and that is the Pokemon Adventures manga made it's debut in Mar. 3rd 1997, a month before the Pokemon anime made it's debut in April 1st 1997. What's interesting is that Mar. 3rd is actually the same date as the birthday of Yellow, one of the earliest lead female main characters of Pokemon in-general. Interestingly the first volume release of Pokemon Adventures on Aug. 8th also shares the same date as the birthday of Red, the first protagonist of Pokemon Adventures.