• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Disappointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie

King of the Gingers
1). Although I caught my first shiny in this game (and another 6 unfortunately), I feel that the increased shiny rate has completely devalued shinies. First they make sure no hacked pokemon get through pokebank, but then make this redundant by making shinies rather common.

2). Charizard and Mewtwo having two Megas was completely pointless. There was no reason to explain why these two had two Megas when others only had one. Mewtwo X added nothing to the pokemon, and the two stones could have been spent on pokemon that needed it more, like Sableye and Milotic.

3) the EXP Share's buff only made the game easier. I appreciate that it helped the younger gamers disperse their levels more evenly, but it only meant that many experienced people powered their way through the game. I for one only used my Sliggoo from gym 6 - Elite Four.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
1). Although I caught my first shiny in this game (and another 6 unfortunately), I feel that the increased shiny rate has completely devalued shinies. First they make sure no hacked pokemon get through pokebank, but then make this redundant by making shinies rather common.

They made shinies more common? Wow, talk about a bad decision.

2). Charizard and Mewtwo having two Megas was completely pointless. There was no reason to explain why these two had two Megas when others only had one. Mewtwo X added nothing to the pokemon, and the two stones could have been spent on pokemon that needed it more, like Sableye and Milotic.

Yeah, I never understood why they are the only Pokémon that got two mega evolutions, and at the top of that it's unfair for the other Pokémon that got a Mega Evolution.

3) the EXP Share's buff only made the game easier. I appreciate that it helped the younger gamers disperse their levels more evenly, but it only meant that many experienced people powered their way through the game. I for one only used my Sliggoo from gym 6 - Elite Four.

But keep in mind that the Pokémon games were never very challenging to begin with.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
They made shinies more common? Wow, talk about a bad decision.

Yeah, I never understood why they are the only Pokémon that got two mega evolutions, and at the top of that it's unfair for the other Pokémon that got a Mega Evolution.

But keep in mind that the Pokémon games were never very challenging to begin with.

Indeed, Shiny Pokémon rates have now halved in Gen VI.

Because they're way too overrated.

Core Series no, but some of the Side Games are pretty challenging at times.

Rio!

Composer
Indeed, Shiny Pokémon rates have now halved in Gen VI.

Because they're way too overrated.

Agreed, a lot of the look kinda gross too, especially those lime green and fuchsia colors, blech.
I dunno though, I think it's more encouraging at least for people who REALLY want them to try breeding for them though.

What I'm kind of bummed about more so is that Drilbur/Excadrill doesn't learn their own STAB move, Iron Head through breeding.
Just like I have a similar issue with Bagon not learning Outrage through Egg Moves; I could probably list some others that have the same, similar problem, but meh.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
XD Gale of Darkness was hard as balls! I damn near chucked my controller through the TV screen by the end, thank god for Mirror B. I'm glad they added some challenge...but that was the wrong way to add the challenge.

On a side note I still don't understand how people think Shinies are more common...i've still been chain fishing and radar hunting and I haven't hit one. I've getten past chains of 40 on the radar, i've gotten high fishing chains. I feel like my game is legit cursed where it won't ever give me a shiny. Ever. But really is that a bad thing? They are still rare enough to be valuable, especially if you did breed them and they have excellent stats/abilities/egg moves. With a wild pokemon your not guaranteed great anything. Maybe a few good IV's but that's it. Most people that want shinies either collect them or use them for competitive purposes and need them to have grade A stats.

Edit and like Rio said above, it encourages more people to do it and makes it readily available. I know I myself didn't really have the time to put into MMing a shiny because, well I didn't have tie time. Now that the rates have been lowered it's supposed to be easier but I haven't had any luck and feel like i'm still wasting my time.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
XD Gale of Darkness was hard as balls! I damn near chucked my controller through the TV screen by the end, thank god for Mirror B. I'm glad they added some challenge...but that was the wrong way to add the challenge.

On a side note I still don't understand how people think Shinies are more common...i've still been chain fishing and radar hunting and I haven't hit one. I've getten past chains of 40 on the radar, i've gotten high fishing chains. I feel like my game is legit cursed where it won't ever give me a shiny. Ever. But really is that a bad thing? They are still rare enough to be valuable, especially if you did breed them and they have excellent stats/abilities/egg moves. With a wild pokemon your not guaranteed great anything. Maybe a few good IV's but that's it. Most people that want shinies either collect them or use them for competitive purposes and need them to have grade A stats.

The Shiny Rate for Gen III-V is 1/8000~.
Shiny Rate for Gen VI is 1/4000~.
Chain Fishing and Pokéradar Chaining run off a seperate counter.
They're value has dropped by approximately half due to the above, but they still are good trophy-prizes.

Dragoniss

The Shiny Rate for Gen III-V is 1/8000~.
Shiny Rate for Gen VI is 1/4000~.

And yet I still haven't got one :/

And let me clarify I haven't just been doing this for like 2 days, i've been doing this since the game came out. Well, not fully because I have had, ya know, real life. But ive put in my fair share of work.

Edit: Actually i'm curious now. Is there a way to see the number of encountered pokemon like you could in BW?Cause I can't find it.

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
Pokémon usually learn STAB moves from their primary type by level up. But their secondary type.
Sometimes.

I noticed that; this is in reference to something like Metal Claw vs Iron Head (which is learned via Move Tutor).

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
And yet I still haven't got one :/

And let me clarify I haven't just been doing this for like 2 days, i've been doing this since the game came out. Well, not fully because I have had, ya know, real life. But ive put in my fair share of work.

Edit: Actually i'm curious now. Is there a way to see the number of encountered pokemon like you could in BW?Cause I can't find it.

So?
You simply do not have good luck now.
Shiny Charm is what people often go for prior, as it makes the chance 1/2000~.

If you mean the amount of Pokémon Seen like Obtained, it's in the Dex.

SimH8

Honestly I think the new EXP share is a great addition. Yes it makes the game way too easy if you have it on constantly (like I did throughout all of my 1st playthrough). However I had it mainly turned off, then if was grinding for a gym or in the post game, then it's awesome because it speeds up those tedious bits.

Rio!

Composer
Honestly I think the new EXP share is a great addition. Yes it makes the game way too easy if you have it on constantly (like I did throughout all of my 1st playthrough). However I had it mainly turned off, then if was grinding for a gym or in the post game, then it's awesome because it speeds up those tedious bits.

I agree, the Exp Share makes everything a lot less tedious and faster.
It's too easy to just turn it off during the game walk-through , then turn it on after the fact :B

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Before Black and White came out, a leaker revealed that there would be an anteater Pokemon and a Vulture Pokemon, and I was super excited because they'e some of my favourite animals. When Heatmor and Mandibuzz were revealed I was very disappointed. Mandibuzz has since grown on me, but Heatmor is just... ugh. They could have at least given it a big bushy tail of smoke out of that exhaust. It doesn't even look like an anteater without its tail :/ But I will admit that the tongue of fire is cool. Also, that name... sigh.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Before Black and White came out, a leaker revealed that there would be an anteater Pokemon and a Vulture Pokemon, and I was super excited because they'e some of my favourite animals. When Heatmor and Mandibuzz were revealed I was very disappointed. Mandibuzz has since grown on me, but Heatmor is just... ugh. They could have at least given it a big bushy tail of smoke out of that exhaust. It doesn't even look like an anteater without its tail :/ But I will admit that the tongue of fire is cool. Also, that name... sigh.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you on Heatmor, its design looks so bland and forgettable.

But I have been a fan of Mandibuzz ever since I first saw it in the wild in Pokémon Black. It's a great defensive Pokémon.

Rio!

Composer
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you on Heatmor, its design looks so bland and forgettable.

But I have been a fan of Mandibuzz ever since I first saw it in the wild in Pokémon Black. It's a great defensive Pokémon.

It really does, its cry is sort of...odd as well.

Mandibuzz is so great at what it does, especially this Gen. 8D

Kalosian

So long
I actually have to agree that HG/SS were kinda crap but I would have to disagree on saying that FR/LG were successful remakes. I thought they failed just as hard. They did nothing but update the gameplay and graphics to 3rd gen standard, added in a BUNCH of useless tutorials that we never needed [seriously Oak I think i can figure out how to battle, we've done it before and we've done it now in 6th gen I don't need you interrupting my flow.] and the only new content added was the ability to play a female trainer, purely cosmetic, and the Seveii Islands. Which in and of themselves us just a boring fetch quest and a place to get more pokemon. It really felt like "kids first Pokemon game" to me.

The only reason these remakes existed in the first place was to fill in the rest of the pokedex with the pokemon that were lost from the jump to GBA. Which is why I feel there is no reason for hoenn remakes to exist. We can still easily access all the Hoenn dex and transfer it all up. Yeah sure they are on an outdated system, but advances are cheep enough and it isn't that hard to find a copy of the games. They may be expensive but you would pay about as much for a remade copy.
I thought FR/LG were successful for a number of reasons. I didn't really care for the tutorials either, but all of them except for the one in the first battle could be skipped easily. But I can see why they added them. Even if they didn't do much for us who had played games in the series and knew how everything worked, they were probably very helpful for new players. I actually remember someone on these forums recommending FR/LG over R/S/E for new players many years ago just because FR/LG had the tutorials. I think it is important to remember that there aren't only old players around, but also people who haven't played Pokemon before and are just starting, and for them, tutorials are probably very useful. Regarding the female trainer, that was expected since it has been the standard since Crystal and I had no problem with her.

As for the Sevii Islands though, I thought they improved the games massively. They expanded and improved the story, and they added some actual post-game areas. Before 4th gen, FR/LG were without any doubt the games with the post-game that had the most new areas to explore (at least I don't think Emerald had more in terms of area, though it obviously had more to do). I know Kanto in G/S/C probably had even more in terms of area, but that was a total joke due to how badly executed everything there was. FR/LG also added the VS. Seeker which made training easy, and actually possible, which can't be said for the originals. These two changes were the main reasons I would call FR/LG successful remakes. I didn't feel that they were more for kids than any other games in the series (maybe HG/SS, though I'm not sure).

In the end though, it all comes down to what you are looking for in a game, and we're different in that regard.

Regarding the Pokedex thing, that is obviously the main reason they got remade. And that gave them a right to exist that HG/SS never had, and that no other remakes will have if they are released in the present. The region that has the most Pokemon missing from X&Y is Unova, but that's probably since they expect a lot of players to have access to 5th gen and the ability to send them over from there. Like you, I feel that there is no need for remakes of R/S (or any other games) because of this. And like SKyLineR32, I hope Game Freak focuses on new games instead of remaking older ones.

Dragoniss

So?
You simply do not have good luck now.
Shiny Charm is what people often go for prior, as it makes the chance 1/2000~.

If you mean the amount of Pokémon Seen like Obtained, it's in the Dex.

More like i've never had good luck :/
No i'm talking about the number of wild encounters i've had in total. You could look it up in black and white, it was on the back side of your trainer card.

Also I agree to loving the EXP. Grinding in 5th gen was so slow and tedious because of their stupid level up system. Especially in areas where you couldn't easily hunt Audinos around you level. I constantly felt underleveld in that game unless I spent a few hours in grinding session. Here I actually feel like i'm even with where I'm supposed to be. I never feel overleveled unless I go out of my way to grind. Which it makes grinding 500 times easier. It also might have something to do with 6th gen just feeling so fast. 5th gens battles felt obnoxiously slow. Here not so much. The battle animations are fluid and quick. Some moves are still a bit slow but those are the flashier ones.

zozo

SLIMED!
One thing that really disappointed me in this game was the stupid censor. This seems to be a common feature across all 3DS games that support internet connectivity, but it was especially noticeable in Pokemon.
I mean, I completely understand why it's there, but why should it be so invasive? There's no need for that. Just give users a warning that certain names will not be tradeable if they insist on naming their Pokemon that, and then just disallow Pokemon from these names from going on the GTS or being selectable during trades. We already have all nicknames stripped from wi-fi matches too, so that would be an easy way to solve the problem.

But it isn't just invasive. There's an even bigger problem with the censor.

It. Doesn't. Work.

Some absolutely harmless names are disallowed. Like Spike and Violet. (Yes, I have heard some theories as to why these names are disallowed, and personally, I think they're nonsensical.) And I was puzzled as anything when I found out "Weed" was disallowed. Why? Because that can be a nickname for marijuana? Okay, whatever. I guess you don't want kids with drug-themed Pokemon. But if that's the case, then why am I allowed call my Pokemon Grass? That can be a nickname for marijuana too. And why is Meth allowed? And Dope? And Coke? Heck, I can name the blasted thing freaking Heroin if I want! Or Cocaine! Or Marijuana! All that's allowed, but calling a Gloom or an Oddish (both "Weed" Pokemon) or a Hoppip (the cotton "weed" Pokemon) Weed isn't? Oh, and Stupid, that needs to be censored too. Gosh, can't have kids with Pokemon named Stupid, but we can let them name them any sort of drug they want. But not Weed. Gamefreak doesn't care for that one single nickname for a drug for some reason.

Now, you may say that this isn't really a huge issue, but it does really interfere with gameplay at times. I love to nickname my Pokemon, and it sometimes takes me quite awhile to come up with the perfect name for a Pokemon. To spend that time trying to find the right name, find it, then discover that the censor has a problem with it is awful. Even worse, it will retroactively erase names from old Pokemon with "bad" names that you import via PokeBank. And on top of that, it's not even helping me NOT receive Pokemon with terrible names via wonder trade or the GTS. If someone really wants to name their Pokemon something horrible, they're going to get around the censor. It's not that difficult.

So, yeah. Big disappointment for me, because that does rather limit my play experience in a way that it has never been limited before without any real benefit. I really feel that Gamefreak screwed up royally in this, even worse than they did with the difficulty settings in Black2 and White2. And I was pretty badly disappointed in THAT, too. But, that's a whole other rant.

Ketaru

There needs to be a clock-themed Pokemon in the game. So I can make an attempt to name it The Big Dong.

I agree. Post-game, it takes out a lot of the tedious work. If you want to level up a newly hatched Pokemon to try out, it'll be level 35 by the end of your fight with your rival.

Last edited:

Dragoniss

One thing that really disappointed me in this game was the stupid censor. This seems to be a common feature across all 3DS games that support internet connectivity, but it was especially noticeable in Pokemon.
I mean, I completely understand why it's there, but why should it be so invasive? There's no need for that. Just give users a warning that certain names will not be tradeable if they insist on naming their Pokemon that, and then just disallow Pokemon from these names from going on the GTS or being selectable during trades. We already have all nicknames stripped from wi-fi matches too, so that would be an easy way to solve the problem.

But it isn't just invasive. There's an even bigger problem with the censor.

It. Doesn't. Work.

Some absolutely harmless names are disallowed. Like Spike and Violet. (Yes, I have heard some theories as to why these names are disallowed, and personally, I think they're nonsensical.) And I was puzzled as anything when I found out "Weed" was disallowed. Why? Because that can be a nickname for marijuana? Okay, whatever. I guess you don't want kids with drug-themed Pokemon. But if that's the case, then why am I allowed call my Pokemon Grass? That can be a nickname for marijuana too. And why is Meth allowed? And Dope? And Coke? Heck, I can name the blasted thing freaking Heroin if I want! Or Cocaine! Or Marijuana! All that's allowed, but calling a Gloom or an Oddish (both "Weed" Pokemon) or a Hoppip (the cotton "weed" Pokemon) Weed isn't? Oh, and Stupid, that needs to be censored too. Gosh, can't have kids with Pokemon named Stupid, but we can let them name them any sort of drug they want. But not Weed. Gamefreak doesn't care for that one single nickname for a drug for some reason.

Now, you may say that this isn't really a huge issue, but it does really interfere with gameplay at times. I love to nickname my Pokemon, and it sometimes takes me quite awhile to come up with the perfect name for a Pokemon. To spend that time trying to find the right name, find it, then discover that the censor has a problem with it is awful. Even worse, it will retroactively erase names from old Pokemon with "bad" names that you import via PokeBank. And on top of that, it's not even helping me NOT receive Pokemon with terrible names via wonder trade or the GTS. If someone really wants to name their Pokemon something horrible, they're going to get around the censor. It's not that difficult.

So, yeah. Big disappointment for me, because that does rather limit my play experience in a way that it has never been limited before without any real benefit. I really feel that Gamefreak screwed up royally in this, even worse than they did with the difficulty settings in Black2 and White2. And I was pretty badly disappointed in THAT, too. But, that's a whole other rant.

While I understand why they need it for some of the major words like F-bombs and obscenely derogatory words, cause I mean there ARE kids that are 10 and younger that play these games and parents would flip their **** and sue as fast as you could blink, they did mess up pretty damn bad with the censoring. Some of the words they picked just don't make a lick of sense. They were trying to cover their bases by they didn't cover them very well. Like I to had tried to name something spike and it wouldn't let me. Seriously how is the word spike derogatory? It's a pretty common name for a pet.

So far though that's the only one I had a problem with. Oh and on my nuzelock Y I had nicknamed my Nidoqueen Titties except instead of I's I put exclamation points. But that was just purely for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.