• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Disappointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I think now, my biggest disappointment is PokéBank costing $5 a month. Just to store your Pokémon. Just to store virtual code. That's just disappointing. I'm not paying $5 a month to store a bunch of 0's and 1's. (Maybe I'm just cheap!)
Adding to the above, it's only $5 for a year. Now, maybe the service isn't for you, and that's fine, but it's a pretty darn small fee to pay for the servers, and better than having to buy a version of it every gen (see Box and Ranch - same idea, just short lived in the end to the idea with Bank).

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Delphox's movepool. They could have given it Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam.

i'm going to have to agree that delphox should probably have dazzling gleam, why delphiox was said to be a magician pokemon so fairy type moves could be pretty handy

mostly what disappoints us people is probably the designs of pokemon and the movesets that we think pokemon should have , then it turned out that they don't have it instead

as for me maybe those pokemon that should have mega evolution when it turned out that they didn't get to have one, rhyhorn stage and probably flygon

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
I was so disappointed in Ruby. I remember when I found out that it didn't have the day/night cycle, and that really disappointed me. G/S/C introduced a lot of reason to play the games at different times and on different days, and I expected that feature to carry on.

I guess Animal Crossing should have already filled that role for me by the time I played Ruby, but, I wanted it to remain in Pokemon, too.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I was really disappointed with the WAY too limited Pokemon appearing in Mystery dungeon Gates to infinity. It is way to boring with that few Pokemon, and you only had 5 Starter-oppurtunities as well.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
mostly what disappoints us people is probably the designs of pokemon and the movesets that we think pokemon should have , then it turned out that they don't have it instead

And this is the main reason why I don't understand peoples obsession about speculating/creating fake mega evolutions or evolutions to other pokemon. Yeah there is a slight chance it could turn out similar to your vision but more often than not your just setting yourself up for probable disappointment if/when it does happen. You start liking this certain thing you created but then it comes out and 90% of the time it's not what you envisioned. Then people get upset because it's not what THEY wanted. Even though they aren't gamefreak. This could be said for a lot of things outside of pokemon though. Like movies, music, reviews, even fanfictions.

Rule of thumb: never expect anything or have low expectations. That way you can be pleasantly surprised when they do make something and it won't give you an inside bias of "that's now what I wanted it to look or act or be like".

BmanP1

Krookodile hunter
Mega Swampert has Swift Swim. I mean, look at those arms, couldn't he get Sheer Force or something? He doesn't look like a pokemon focused on speed, neither does his moveset
Swampert gets a speed boost, an attack boost, keeps his bulk, and gets swift swim, and you're... Disappointed? I'm overjoyed. I think this is the jump start he needs to bring him into viability. Plus there isn't really a "look" associated with swift swim.

And this is the main reason why I don't understand peoples obsession about speculating/creating fake mega evolutions or evolutions to other pokemon. Yeah there is a slight chance it could turn out similar to your vision but more often than not your just setting yourself up for probable disappointment if/when it does happen. You start liking this certain thing you created but then it comes out and 90% of the time it's not what you envisioned. Then people get upset because it's not what THEY wanted. Even though they aren't gamefreak. This could be said for a lot of things outside of pokemon though. Like movies, music, reviews, even fanfictions.

Rule of thumb: never expect anything or have low expectations. That way you can be pleasantly surprised when they do make something and it won't give you an inside bias of "that's now what I wanted it to look or act or be like".

My thoughts exactly. Especially the bolded.

It's fine to have your won personal vision of what a (mega) evolution should/could look like, just so long as you don't get to..... 'into it' (for lack of a better phrase) and start thinking that's the only true design for it.

I do wish some people would just be happy with what we do get and try to make the best of it.

Also, yeah, the Pokemon isn't exempt from these kinds of people. If it has a fandom around it, you'll find those people.

Ketaru

I'm disappointed that my local Gamestop still doesn't have the promotional mega-evolution codes. Anybody else still having this problem?

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Seismitoad not being able to learn Waterfall.... preventing me from using my 2nd favorite gen 5 water type in one of my B/W runs...

Rio!

Composer

It's fine to have your won personal vision of what a (mega) evolution should/could look like, just so long as you don't get to..... 'into it' (for lack of a better phrase) and start thinking that's the only true design for it.

I do wish some people would just be happy with what we do get and try to make the best of it.

Also, yeah, the Pokemon isn't exempt from these kinds of people. If it has a fandom around it, you'll find those people.

It's like the same thing that happens every time there's a new gen concerning new pokemon evolutions. It really just makes pre-release discussion not so fun after a while. =/

Kalosian

So long

I completely agree with both of you.

Seeing how many fans end up being disappointed by every new game, it is probably better to have low expectations instead of setting them too high. It seems many people always have a vision of how something should be in the next game, only to have it ruined completely because their expectations were too high or different from what the game turned out to be. I do personally never participate in pre-release speculation for this reason, no matter what you might speculate will be in the next game, it is likely not going to be there. Starting from B/W, I have had rather low expectations on new games for various reasons, and I have pretty much only been met by positive surprises. Speaking of expectations, I have practically no expectations on OR/AS right now, but that's not belonging here. And since this thread is about disappointments, this is one. Not about the Pokemon franchise itself, but rather about the fandom. But as both of you said, this seems to happen to everything so it is for better or worse nothing unique regarding Pokemon fans.

manaphee

新たなる誓い
Being completely honest, 5th gen as a whole. BW2 were a huge improvement from the first gen five games but it just didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong; the storyline was incredible, but the game was meant to "revamp" Pokemon as a series and came nowhere close to what gen 6 did.

I completely agree with both of you.

Seeing how many fans end up being disappointed by every new game, it is probably better to have low expectations instead of setting them too high. It seems many people always have a vision of how something should be in the next game, only to have it ruined completely because their expectations were too high or different from what the game turned out to be. I do personally never participate in pre-release speculation for this reason, no matter what you might speculate will be in the next game, it is likely not going to be there. Starting from B/W, I have had rather low expectations on new games for various reasons, and I have pretty much only been met by positive surprises. Speaking of expectations, I have practically no expectations on OR/AS right now, but that's not belonging here. And since this thread is about disappointments, this is one. Not about the Pokemon franchise itself, but rather about the fandom. But as both of you said, this seems to happen to everything so it is for better or worse nothing unique regarding Pokemon fans.

I agree.

Granted, I do have a few Pokemon (in my sig) that I would like to have mega-evolutions, however, I'm not absolutely expecting them to happen. It's more of a case of ' it would be cool if ______ got a mega'.

bidoofdude

Legendary Trainer
Not being able to ride your mother's Rhyhorn outside the house in XY. I wanted to ride him around the whole region. :(

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I really like Barbaracle, but he can't learn Waterfall.

Why Game Freak, why?

because they shouldn't always follow the pattern of an obvious pokemon type, to make a twist with the pokemon moves too

Status
Not open for further replies.