• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon DP to end on this fall; new series on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeno48

Zaker!
The DP trio was incredibly stale. Ash/Dawn's friendship was nicely done, but overall this "trio" had almost no memorable scenes together as a group or defining moments.

Just putting a new girl every saga and keeping Brock doesn't work anymore. Next gen needs to ditch them both and start fresh.

This!
I for one am an advocate of there being two guys on the main cast team going for gym badges. Especially now that the gym battles are at their creative peak.
I don't see the two main characters doing the same thing. I can see them experimenting but that's it. What's your point though?

Last edited:

BM14murph

Master Collector
Personally i don't care about Ash's screentime being taken up once whoever's taking it up is interesting and the screentime itself is good like Dawn's contests are great to watch so no love lost there from me

Another good thing though would be with at least 3 people working on something then there would be virtually no fillers at all like sinnoh didn't have much compared to other sags so just think if there was 3 people doing things how little we'd have :D

niedude

Don't forget to grin
I don't see the two main characters doing the same thing. I can see them experimenting but that's it. What's your point though?

My point is this:

Another good thing though would be with at least 3 people working on something then there would be virtually no fillers at all like sinnoh didn't have much compared to other sags so just think if there was 3 people doing things how little we'd have :D

And I support what Cyber Cubbed said to the max, yo.

Animefan145

Hm, it'd be different to have two people competing for Gym badges at once. Heh, Ash and whoever it is could take turns on seeing who challenged the Gym Leader first. The problem is that, well, having two important Gym battles in a row kind of takes away from the tension, or might drag out things even more since they'd had to keep visiting that Gym until Ash and the other person both get badges. Unless Ash took a backseat to the new charater, but... nah, like that's ever going to happen.

I know Brock doesn't do much, except be comic relief and occasionally provide random knowledge, but still, even if they replaced him, would his replacement be any better? He (or even she) might have even less to do than Brock. They tried that with Tracey for a bit, but Tracey wasn't all that different from Brock either, at least in terms of fulfilling the "smarter, slightly older" person of the group, then they brought Brock back. If they ever did replace Brock (which may or may not be a good thing), people would probably complain if he either took time away from Ash (I've heard that complaint aimed at Dawn) or if he didn't do enough.

I've liked the contests of the last two generations in that at least it gave the girl something to do rather than just walk around carrying an evil egg. Doing it once with May was different, if Dawn wasn't so likable, doing it a second time would've been more annoying, but not sure if they should do it a third time.

I thought one of the best things about Sinnoh was its mini-arcs, like the Summer School or the various small competitions they did here and there (Tag Battle, Wallace Cup, etc.), which made it seem less like filler. The best is if they had a bigger overarching plot then "on to the next Gym/Contest!" but that would probably be too complicated for this anime.

Manene!

The only way I could see two characters doing Gyms is if the video games have 16 Gyms, with the requirement to do 8 to get to the Elite 4, with the other 8 optional OR if each Gym had two Gym Leaders and every Gym was a double battle. Other than that, no. I don't think I'd want two characters doing Gyms. How repetitive would that be?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I would really like to see a girl do gym battles but it's not going to happen. We'd have to sit through Ash and then the girl to do gym battles and it will get boring seeing the same gym leader Pokemon get taken down by two different teams back to back, That's one thing I loved about contest is that May/Dawn fought a variety of different Pokemon then Ash and vice versa. You'd also have to take in account if Ash loses a gym battle and the girl wins then diehard Ash fans will whine and complain about it. Two trainers doing the same thing in the same group is not a good idea.

Dax

Legend
I would really like to see a girl do gym battles but it's not going to happen. We'd have to sit through Ash and then the girl to do gym battles and it will get boring seeing the same gym leader Pokemon get taken down by two different teams back to back, That's one thing I loved about contest is that May/Dawn fought a variety of different Pokemon then Ash and vice versa. You'd also have to take in account if Ash loses a gym battle and the girl wins then diehard Ash fans will whine and complain about it. Two trainers doing the same thing in the same group is not a good idea.

Completely agree.

I think the idea could work if they introduce a main rival that's female. Just like Paul, we can see some of her performances on gym battles without exhausting the concept of a girl doing gyms.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Yeah, two characters doing the same thing would get real boring.

But here is something I would like to see: I would like to see Ash have a female rival during the B/W series (similiar to Gary and Paul).

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Personally i don't care about Ash's screentime being taken up once whoever's taking it up is interesting and the screentime itself is good like Dawn's contests are great to watch so no love lost there from me

But he is the main character in the series. If he doesn't get screentime, so he better win the league. If he stays, and Brock leaves, so you have to give him screentime, maybe less than in Sinnoh because a new character would attract much attention. I don't think it could be fewer fillers unless the new character's goal will be very interesting so they can have fewer breaks/fillers than in the past.

pokemon fan 132

The thing about replacing Brock with someone that actually does something is that there may be screentime issues.

From what i noticed during course of Sinnoh,there was enough space left to have Brock involve in this story(by cutting down on some fillers,arcs and on some Ash or Dawns screentime which wasnt necessary not bringing into risk their stories),but it seems how problem is coming from his goal of breeding not being much about battling or competing,with character itself never showing much of a desire for such things.Every character in this show who had more "active goal" received more attention from writers compared with those like brock or Tracey.

If character which comes into his place has goal more associated with competing he would probably receive more screentime.Of course no to the same extent like Ash and Dawn did,but still enough to reach satisfying level.

Many people complained how Ash or Dawn got more than necessary amount of spolight,which could hve been used for someone else,and when you think about it theyre not far from thruth.

Just putting a new girl every saga and keeping Brock doesn't work anymore. Next gen needs to ditch them both and start fresh.

There is also another way to keep things fresh.Have group of Ash,new boy and one of older girls or vice versa would also add improvement into this show.

On a side note talking about second main doing gyms along with Ash,that would probably be repetitive,unless some of second character gym battles happens off screen to avoid undesired consequence.

Here are options which next girl could do aside from coordinating:-doing new thing from games(so far unown):
-being one type trainer doing events for specific type.
-doing gyms
-doing pokethlon
-or being tag battler.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I don't mind a female rival as long as she's not completely like Paul. We just had a nasty rival beat up Ash all region and seeing it happen again would be boring and prove the writers have run out of idea,s even if it is a girl rival beating up Ash this time. Make her strong but not a completely jerk. I can see there shipping being the most annoying of all.

Better not be some crappy *Mini* Legendary like Celebi or Manaphy.

In all honesty if I had to pick a Legendary for Ash to battle in the League, my pick(s) are:
-Zapdos or Moltres, Ash has already battled Articuno
-Any one of the Dogs

I mean honestly, as if a Kyogre would be suitable...

A Kyogre? t will take out every member of Ash's team in few hits. It is God of Hoenn who created Seas. I would go with some legendary trio then Kyogre.

I don't mind a female rival as long as she's not completely like Paul. We just had a nasty rival beat up Ash all region and seeing it happen again would be boring and prove the writers have run out of idea,s even if it is a girl rival beating up Ash this time. Make her strong but not a completely jerk. I can see there shipping being the most annoying of all.

The writers ran out of ideas at the end of AG. Thats why most of DP episodes are based on episodes from last three regions for example first episode of DP is based on first episode of Kanto, Johto and AG.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
A Kyogre? t will take out every member of Ash's team in few hits. It is God of Hoenn who created Seas. I would go with some legendary trio then Kyogre.

yeah, that was my point. I was saying that any member of the Weather/Dragon trios would be too powerful to handle, whereas, other than a lower catch rate, the birds/dogs are generally lower in terms of status among Legendary Pokemon, though still higher than the Pixies/"cute" legendaries, minus Mew of course...

Last edited:

BM14murph

Master Collector
I was just thinking if they were to have more than our usual 8 gyms in the upcoming games (prob the wrong thread for this :() and you got to choose which one you faced then awhen DP ends they could add a new boy/girl to the team who also challenged Gyms and just have them take turns or come up with some excuse why they only face one of them each

9Tales

I guess it's probable, right? After all, they've seen practically all the Legendary Pokemon Sinnoh has to offer, defeated Team Galactic once and for all, and met almost all the NPC characters. Only things I can think are left are the final gym battle, the Sinnoh League Championship, the Grand Festival, and maybe the Sinnoh Battle Frontier. Anyone agree?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

The writers ran out of ideas at the end of AG. Thats why most of DP episodes are based on episodes from last three regions for example first episode of DP is based on first episode of Kanto, Johto and AG.

Well that's true but at least they tried the plots with a different character's sometimes. For instance Mamoswine going rogue was a rehash of Charizard for sure but at least they tried it with a new trainer who was to inexperienced to control it at the time and not Ash again. Doing rehashes with Ash is terrible because it downgrades his character. Paul made Ash look like a fool all region and I would hate to see this happen to him again in the future. Maybe they could make his next rivalry a little more even?

luner45

Oshawott!! Lets go!
Ash never had a female rival which means he should and her personality should be like zoey and gary together. that would make things interesting but would paul go with ash to the next region as a rival again????

Status
Not open for further replies.