• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon drawn Japanese style

GhostAnime

Searching for her...

Cobalt_Latios

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wow that's a great find. Though they all look creepy, they're bound to induce nightmares :S

Is there a specific name for this kind of artwork? I want to see more examples if possible.

jellsprout

Isn't this style more Imperial Chinese than Japanese?

Anyway, many different artists draw Pokémon in many different styles. We could make dozens of threads about each and every artist to talk about each of their personal styles, but I don't really see the point in that.

Sweet Pinpuku

Happy Happiny
Those are all really amazing.

Unfortunately, I don't read Japanese - was there any indication of any others, ie - Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokés?

Still, they're all mostly really amazing and beautiful, I will admit there were some I didn't really like such as muscle-legged Jumpluff XD

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Scary as hell. I can name at least a hundred that are terrifying.

I really want to see Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Seems to be mimicking traditional depictions of youkai, Japanese demons. You know, literal Pocket "Monsters."

Really interesting stuff.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Seems to be mimicking traditional depictions of youkai, Japanese demons. You know, literal Pocket "Monsters."

Really interesting stuff.

Ah! That's the word I was looking for. I thought it was Oni but Yokai is more widely used to describe monsters in general rather than just demons and ogres. You're right.

I think only 20 of these look normal, the rest are things I'd find hiding in the closet as a child :S

Last edited:

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Ah! That's the word I was looking for. I thought it was Oni but Yokai is more widely used to describe monsters in general rather than just demons and ogres. You're right.
Oni are more afterlife-related. Youkai implies ghosts, witches, kappa, and all the other 'spooky' Japanese monsters.

I'm pretty sure there are a few very direct references in these drawings (I'd bet my lunch that Jumpluff is one of them) but I don't know enough mythology to pick them out.

It'd be cool if someone more fluent in Japanese could translate the text, but I can give it a shot too when I have time. I'm also interested in just what the hell kanji he put next to each drawing. Are they nonsensical representations of the name's pronounciation? Representations of the Pokemon's abilities/description? Their Chinese names, maybe?

Penguinist Trainer

This is some pretty interesting work. It looks like someone was playing pokemon right after playing okami and decided to combine the 2 worlds. It would be cool to see the depictions of all 493 pokemon in this art style.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Okay, I got curious and looked up the kanji so I could read the first few sentences. Here's my (rough, amateurish) translation.

The title is basically "Pokemon: A Scroll of 151 Spirits of the Night"

The next sentence is something to the effect of: "Go with the superstions inscribed here, and you will become a master of evil spirits!" Basically a demonology riff on "Become a Pokemon Master."

Next is "Click for full size."

After that it repeats the title with "Part 1" and "Part 2." It then says "Johto Pokemon: A Scroll of Spirits of the Night" or however you choose to translate that.

The bottom has - I think - some kind of poem or spiritual mantra, that I'm not even going to attempt. Hell, it could be the Pokemon theme song for all I know. But this is seriously one of the coolest fan projects I've seen.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
So, for anyone curious, here's exactly what this is parodying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazu_Hyakki_Yakō

And so evidently this fan project is more correctly called "Pokemon: An Illustrated Night Parade of 151 Demons."

Followed by, now that I look at it again, "Johto Pokemon: An Illustrated Night Parade of 100 Demons."

G.i.Я

that art is just awesome

Last edited: