• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Dream World Discussion Thread - Read the FAQ in the first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachDozier

Takeshi Protegé
did you erase your cookies or use a different computer?

Because that might be the reason why Fennel keeps popping out.

I did a little digging, and it looks like my CCleaner program was clearing the data from Flash... operating outside the exception settings I had in place for it to leave the data from Firefox alone... so that should explain why Fennel kept showing up every day. Thank you for pointing that out.

For the first time, I got a perfect "whatever" bonus on Wailord game, no one splashed on the sea!

And I took a female Seaking home, it's ability is wonderful.

The Lightningrod Seaking was the inspiration that got me so heavily involved in the Dream World and specialized breeding. When I finally breed my ultimate Seaking from that project, it is going to be very special. My plan: Lightningrod ability and both Aqua Tail and Body Slam... which is impossible in Black/White alone. Getting both Aqua Tail and Body Slam requires breeding and use of a move tutor in PtHGSS... and it was a long learning process for me as I sifted through Serebii's database of stats and egg moves. It has set me on a long path to egg breeding unique fighters with the hope of maybe opening a modest little trade shop here someday when I get it all organized. I have been keeping the egg move fathers and Dream World mothers stored safely away, and I enjoy the science that goes into it.

that, was an epic rant, squire. i've only quoted the final paragraph as my posts are long enough as they are, but yours was an interesting point, eruditely put, and i recommend anyone to go back and read it and discuss;

i personally think that it can't be that easy for them to maintain continuity over a 5 generation-and-continuing franchise of games, with a global market of players playing in all regions, especially since the games are, unlike some other franchises, ones that connect across the generations and remain valid and important;

i think your points have some weight though, they make berries readily available now after the time taken to grow them in the last generation, which seems a little off. and i haven't even played heartgold yet but even though i really want a misdreavous or many, i'm not entirely looking forward to using the tamagotchi-esque walker, although if it makes me move my fat arse more then i usually do then perhaps it'll be better then i think. but it has a limited use, for sure.

still, pokemon is much like sports games; it's not a game that's conducive to big changes in gameplay and experience, especially if you want to preserve that continuity. so, to keep things fresh, new gimmicks and variants on gameplay are the way to do so, more then anything else i can think of. the transition appears to need to be slow and carefully performed. even so, with the problems some people have had with the DW, and the way that the first few generations are incompatible, they haven't done the best job with the whole thing. whatevs

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Having played the games since Red/Blue/Yellow (as I was just about to graduate high school), I walked into the games for their RPG experience as a fan of Final Fantasy and its summoned monsters dynamics. I'm right there with you on all of it, and I think the concept of creating a global network comes with its own caveats. I was happy to know that the sluggish loading screens aren't just the fault of my old computer, and I can understand the congestion of 2 million + people per day using the system. It is a massive undertaking but requires some massive oversight on their part to be successful. Some of it to me seems more like a touch and go process, and I imagine that part of it falls to us to point out through our experiences how they could better them for us. I've never been opposed to the concept of gimmicks myself. I'm a child of the 80s, and by the time I was 5 or 6, the FCC had started passing laws against making Saturday morning cartoons into one massive toy commercial. Mind you, they still are, but they have to be spaced out to some degree (commercials for toys cannot air during their respective cartoons, etc.)

But I digress. With Pokemon, there is a distinct opportunity to maintain more of the backwards compatibility than they are keeping. With infrared and firmware, there are so many possibilities out there that could be harnessed, but Pokemon seems to be keeping it simple in a lot of ways. They make plenty of money off of it, no contest, but Japan's video game and movie industry follows a set of deadlines that don't have very much leeway. Personally, I would be willing to wait a few extra months or pay a little more if more time were spent on some of these gimmicks such as the PokeWalker to allow them to expand into something with the generation that follows it. The Dream World, hopefully, will hold a large portion of that future... but we still have to deal with regional issues and glitches that may not be worked out for quite some time. I have my good days and my useless waste of time days in the Dream World, but I see its potential to take Pokemon in a direction it could have gone several years earlier. Now we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

As for the berries, I still haven't seen all of them show up yet, and I wonder if they have written several of them out of the game altogether. Case in point: the GameStop event releases for HGSS/BW. Celebi, Entei, Raikou, and Suicune all came with specialized berries... with no way to send them to the game they were intended for. I am wondering if any of the GameCube berries such as Liechi and Rowap are going to surface at some point in the Dream World or if any other item expansion is in the works. The Cafe Forest currently running in Japan seems to point in that direction, but we will have to wait and see how far they plan to spread those ideas.

i had an idea today, which is more an attractive hope then anything, but one i don't see why they couldn't do, and i think they should do; they could do a promotion at some point where you have a period of one week during which you can catch the powerful, rare little tykes from the first 3 gens - mew would appear in the sea, celebi in the forest and jirachi in the sky.

i don't think they should get DW abilities, not sure about moves; with mew it's redundant because he can learn almost everything;

here's the deal in my proposal - during this week, everyone who plays in the DW will be able to find ONE of each in the area i've specified. if you somehow fail your mini-game, it won't appear again that day like normal, but will appear on another day during that week. they will be quite rare to encounter, but not so rare that you could frantically search all week and not find any of them. if you catch any of them, then well done, and that's the ONLY one of each you'll get - they won't appear any more if you befriend one. only 1 of each can be befriended, basically.

i think it's a smashing idea and would bring loads of fans who are into the franchise but maybe haven't played 5th gen or simply not bothered with DW so far running to the site. thoughts?

Brilliant. Hopefully the future success of what they intend to do with Dream World starters and other as-yet-unavailable Pokemon like Super Luck Togepi could push them toward something like this.

I also would like to see some sort of reward for dedication with regard to points. I have noticed that the Pokemon encounter rate per visit is finite (which could affect the chances of something like your legendary idea working unless they program an encounter rate of 75-100% for a specific Pokemon), so you end up running out of encounters or items if you keep skipping too many you aren't looking for. After maybe 15 encounters/items total, the island areas are empty. I haven't seen the exact number, but this happens after maybe 7 visits to the Island of Dreams no matter what you do. I suppose that maybe it is a way of forcing you to consider using the other aspects of the Dream World such as gardening and visiting other houses, but it's definitely not a good day when I run across almost nothing but Murkrow, Oddish, or Taillow and keep getting the Play With Wailord game on almost every encounter... which happens to me every few days or so and is way too slow to bother with. It would be nice to have this encounter rate raised based on points... and maybe even increase the number of Pokemon you can take to your game or at least allow a bonus second choice to remain on your Dream Tree list after you have transferred one to the Entralink instead of sending them all back to their areas to be found again. This would help at least to balance out the fact that some days the random encounter rate just makes your luck far too good to pick just one.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Have any of you guys got loading problem with the minigame?

Just recently I lost DW Doduo because the Sky Race minigame just won't load, it just keeps loading at the circling pink bars and stops there.

The only thing I can do was to press Back, forcing me to get out of DW and losing the Doduo.

And it happens TWICE. So yeah, I lost two DW Doduo.
First time I thought it was just lagging, but when everything else is okay except the Sky Race (and then it happens again), there must be something wrong there.
All the other minigames are fine too. It's just the Sky Race. Not sure if the Doduo also takes part in this problem.

In the end I manage to bring out a female DW Igglybuff, but it was annoying when I have to enter DW 3 times since the first two times I was forced to get out just because the minigame won't load.
I really want to play the Sky Race, out of all the minigames, Sky Race is what I'm the best at ~.~

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
@ Shine - I've also had trouble loading the Sky Race game before. It took about a minute for it to load the other night, and before that, it took about 2 minutes and then I was kicked off of the Dream World. I often get messages with Japanese text, and then I get kicked off and I have to return to the Dream World again. It usually happens when I'm watering berries, but it's also happened while I've been loading mini-games. I wonder what's up.

JohnNiles

ARRRRRRGH! I am literally balling up my hands and smacking them together- anything harder and I'd injure myself. I hate hate hate how the Dream World dries up, especially if I get sent to the sky over and over. I've just started backing out immediately if I see the sky load up. I've also been going back empty-handed a lot lately, my way of throwing a tantrum. I wonder if I'm being too fussy and rejecting things out of hand. I suppose I am- there are only 3 or so things I want left, and I either don't encounter them or get the wrong gender. I suppose I could mess around on the GTS, but I kind of wanted to get them on my own. I'll read other people's posts and see if there's anything I should be looking more closely at. Or maybe I should just take a break (though that won't get me any closer).

Looking back at CoachDozier's post- I have to say one thing about the pokewalker. It can be used as much as you want. You can reload the pokewalker and walk or run until your feet blister, if you desire. And I guess if one has poor mobility or no place to walk, a machine can do the shaking (I've seen youtube videos). I actually started using it again after a long break because it was a convenient way to level the pokemon I was too lazy to battle with, and an excellent source of GTS trade bait.

But when I log onto the Dream World, I know I won't get to choose where to go, what gets offered to me, and when I stop. Isn't that a colossal step backwards? I have never played a game like this (I don't play Flash games on a regular basis either). I hate that sensation of not being in control. Thank god the Pokemon games proper don't pull this crap. The only time I felt like I was being shoved down a tunnel was with the first gym where they try and force you to use those hideous grinning monkeys. I nearly threw up my hands there.

jwla

Monday night I wasn't even able to get a Pokemon to go to sleep until pretty late. The last Pokemon I ran into that night was a Scyther, which I have been looking for. After I befriended it, I immediately stopped looking for any more Pokemon. I managed to finish my berry growing for the more modern house, and swapped for it. Today I managed to get on at a better time, and I brought over a Growlithe (male, but oh well) with Body Slam! There is really only ONE Pokemon I want to find, and that's a Natu. Any time I get sent to the sky, I can never find one (but can find multiple Skarmory!!). I guess I'll just have to keep trying!

The Flash9

Grass Type Master
Does anyone have a DW female snivy up for trade? Cause I battled a guy with one and I realllllllllllllly want one. I'll trade even shinies for her! :)

jolteon135

Does anyone have a DW female snivy up for trade? Cause I battled a guy with one and I realllllllllllllly want one. I'll trade even shinies for her! :)
Dream World Snivy hasn't been released yet. The only B/W Pokemon that can currently have their DW ability are Munna and Darmanitan. The person you battled hacked it.

The Flash9

Grass Type Master
Dream World Snivy hasn't been released yet. The only B/W Pokemon that can currently have their DW ability are Munna and Darmanitan. The person you battled hacked it.

Well thank you. My dream has been crushed. lol

CoachDozier

Takeshi Protegé
Well thank you. My dream has been crushed. lol

Waiting for a Super Luck Togepi myself, but no idea when something like that will become available. We just have to keep watching the message boards for what they plan to release next.

BTW, I just successfully completed my first complex Dream World breeding project involving a female Lightningrod Seaking and an egg bred Aqua Tail/Body Slam Goldeen from Diamond (a combination impossible on Black/White alone). On my second egg hatch, I got just the nature and ability I wanted, but I have the breeding pair left over and a few more eggs if anyone wants one. Body Slam might not seem too useful, but Seaking's higher attack stat would make decent use of it as a companion to the obvious need for Aqua Tail as well as the possible paralyzing effect. A water type immune to electric types would make a great double battle partner strategy with a flying type, giving them an opposing edge against the only other super effective attacks that could bring either of them down: grass and rock types (well, your flier would be weak to ice, but you still have an interesting combo).

I have seen some mentions that these Dream World abilities are creating unfair advantages, but of the small handful of random online matches I have played, some involved these DW abilities on my opponent while I myself had none yet... and it made the battles more exciting (if anything, Intimidate was causing problems in battle advantage long before the DW was created... I can't recall a single online battle where my opponent didn't have at least one Pokemon on their team with the ability like Gyarados or Arcanine, but of course mixing between special and physical attacks is a must to counter it). I was in a few battles that lasted over a half hour and could have gone either way. I won a few and I lost a few, but the battles were some of the most fun I ever had playing the game outside of the RPG experience. It always boils down to strategy. Despite these new abilities, there still are countering moves like Skill Swap, Gastro Acid, and Simple Beam to turn things on their tail, so I am continuing my Dream World experience mainly to see how many more battle dynamics this adds to the gameplay. I think making things a little more predictable and pushing players away from the obvious one-hit super effective strategy is a good thing, so the more challenges they come up with, the happier I am to participate.

In any case, my Dream World breeding continues on to the flying type I intend to pair with my Seaking: an Aerodactyl with DW Unnerve ability and Pidgeot's egg moves Steel Wing and Tailwind. They will be joining a Drapion (Sniper ability and egg bred to have Gligar/Gliscor's Slash and Night Slash for immense damage potential), Abomasnow, Latios, and Blaziken when all is said and done... and I will be interested to see how they perform when I train them up.

JohnLee

After getting over 10,000 points about two weeks ago, I was finally able to go to Pleasant Forest and befriended this beauty!

wonderful.png

Last edited:

BabyZero

Bad day in DW today. Found a Wingull but it was male(I had to play the wailord game for a male <.<). Also, didn't find any other females at all. Ended picking up a Marill with Ice Punch.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
After getting over 10,000 points about two weeks ago, I was finally able to go to Pleasant Forest and befriended this beauty!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8766/wonderful.png

I'm so jealous. I've been wanting a female Dark Pulse Vulpix for a while now, but I've yet to encounter one. I've found a few Vulpix on the Dream World, but they've all been male. I'll start looking for females, though. I figure that I'll have to find one eventually. Now it's just a matter of luck so that I find one with Dark Pulse lol.

And are they going to fix the issue with the DW Eeveelutions or not? It seems like ages since the event started, but the people who lost their Eeveelutions still haven't been compensated.

jwla

I really wasted my run today. I harvested my berries, and planted some more for some items I want in my house. I went to the Island of Dreams, and arrived in the Pleasant Forest. The first Pokemon I ran into was the Pokemon I have been looking for forever: Natu! I was so excited, I just went through the forest ignoring Pokemon, and logged out taking Natu with me. Xatu is my favorite Psychic-type, so I am pretty happy!

cbnicks

I have been unable to log into the dream world for the past two days and do not know what to do. When I try to tuck a pokemon in it says "Game Sync has run out of energy. It will take one day to recharge it." What do I do?

I got the infinite loading screen of death again! This time it wouldn't load the entire Forest area! I did succeed in getting a female Barboach with Spark today. I'm up to 27,890 points now.

EQWashu

Master Pokéwitch

wonderful.png

No fair! No fair! No Fair! lol ;) Congrats JohnLee! I haven't come across a Female Vulpix yet, but I brought back a Male w/ Dark Pulse, so at least there's a breeding Option...

Had a pretty good day today in the DW, even though I was locked out of the forest :p *bleeped* I went to the Sky 4 times, and the Sea 1 time(actually it was 2, but the first Sea run was *literally* all items- nothing good though).

Brought home a Female Gligar, which is great :D the runners-up were Hopip, Butterfree and Spearow (all Female- the amles were'nt impressive or I had em already)

The only thing that stinks is with Vulpix on a White Version game is the lack of EV stones! I mean, its crazy! And if I had another DS to bring my 4th Gen pokemon to Unova, I can't bring any items *including* stones! How asinine :p

-EQ, 30 mins away from watching her E3 coverage (and tweeting like mad to try and win a 3DS!)

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
I just got a female Mareep with reflect =) Up to 2370 dream points now, which means that tomorrow I will unlike the sky area =D

CoachDozier

Takeshi Protegé

I was sorting through my boxes last night and discovered that the female Vulpix someone traded me from Japan months ago turned out to have been bred with her Dream World ability. No Dark Pulse since you can't egg breed DW moves down, but that's one less Pokemon I have to search for (though I will try to get one with Dark Pulse if I can find one). I had to start sifting through a few of those boxes just to make sure I didn't have more DW Pokemon than I realized, but she was the only one. I've had minimal success finding DW Pokemon yet with unique moves... even less luck than finding females. I have a Stealth Rock Aerodactyl and Drain Punch Kangaskhan, and it turns out both my male and female DW Butterfrees have Roost (but haven't found one with Air Cutter).

CoachDozier

Takeshi Protegé
And what a coincidence... just finishing up my near-useless visit to the Dream World to finish up what I couldn't after being kicked off last time and throwing a fit... and the female Magikarp I befriended the other day has Bounce. That's what I get for ranting in frustration in public... a nice little slice of guilt pie.

And I guess I am going to have to get used to my doormat blinking forever. I've started getting a deluge of Dream pal requests, and I already have kicked a couple of people to the curb because I am already connected to one of their Dream Pals and still can visit their house any time. Hoping none of them take it personally, but I'm trying to maximize the connections to other DW people... which doesn't help when you have 4 or 5 Dream Pals who circle around an infinite loop without branching out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.