• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon ecology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr. Sun

I admit that this is probably putting too much thought into something Game Freak never intended to spell out in too much detail, but does anyone else wonder whether pokemon like Weezing and Muk harm the ecosystem? We all know enough about the effects of smog and toxic waste on real-life ecology, so it stands to wonder: do Muks contaminate and ruin lakes, making them unfit to support life? Do Weezings contribute to global warming?

I can't help but wonder about something like this-it makes you wonder what kind of a role Ash's Muk or James's Weezing have in the ecology of the pokemon world. Maybe poison-type pokemon could actually restore the ecosystem, with Muks and Grimers eating the toxic sludge in waters, thereby purifying and cleaning them, or Weezings and Koffings eating the toxic gases in the atmosphere, releasing pure oxygen as they do so?

Any thoughts?

T

Trifecta

first of all, this is NOT real, this is just an alternative world. altrenative worlds doesnt have to work the same way our real world does.

but to really answer your question
it is NOT: whenever theres a muk, theres a pollution
it IS: whenever theres a pollution, theres a muk

pokemon like muk...and weezing....didnt cause all the pollution, they dont contaminate and ruin lakes. they are born from the pollution itself. its a question of which came first, and i reckon the pollution did, not muk, and in their wildest of the wild habitats, i think they will STAY at places where theres pollution, so you cant blame them for causing all the carbon dioxide.
but you can still blame the industries that creates the pollution. the industries are the reason why we have muk.

although muks and weezings eat the filth...maybe do some cleaning, but you gotta remember, they are filth themselves (no offense to all the muk and weezing lovers out there). and what gave you the idea of them releasing oxygen? they are not plants. they dont go through photosynthesis.

to sum up this issue, in my opinion, its just simply an alternative world that functions differently. they might have muks to clean up the filth but we have sewage treatment plants.

if you think for a sec, electricity is another issue. in our world, electricity is generated form burning fossil fuels, a rather NON RENEWABLE resourse. in pokemon, they can use pokemon like magnemites to generate power. because most pokemon can breed, power is an unlimited source! XD. anyway the bottom line is, that our world is totally different to an anime world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Fan

Nothing Special
Yeah. Pokemon is NOT JUST THE ANIME! There. So, yeah, muk and weezing like the poster above said are pollution therefore only cause more pollution when they breed. Unless you believe that they don't and therefore are only created by filth.

Problem. Magnemite need energy as well. Therefore they are in powerplants sucking at it like parasites. So, they can't power things and if they do they require power themselves.

Truly, I dislike the constant saying of that the pokemon world is not like our world because then changing one thing at a time the whole thing will eventually not make any sense. Yeah, I like making the world like ours so I can imagine it properly.

PDL

disenchanted
I've noticed that wherever Koffing and Grimer are found in the games, you can also find fire pokemon as well

Pokemon Mansion, Brunt Tower, Firey Path... all of these places are where Grimer and Koffing are found, as well as Fire pokemon...

so I think that Koffing and Grimer originally came from volcanoes, Koffing congreated around somking tops while Grimer inhabited areas under the volcano where oil may be found...

when the industral age of humans came, they moved from the volcanoes to the factories...

jellsprout

EvilKeckleon said:
I've noticed that wherever Koffing and Grimer are found in the games, you can also find fire pokemon as well

Pokemon Mansion, Brunt Tower, Firey Path... all of these places are where Grimer and Koffing are found, as well as Fire pokemon...

The Firebreathers in G/S/C also use either Magmar or Koffing (with the exeption of one single Vulpix).

I do remember the pokedex entry of Muk saying that even it's footprints are so toxic that they can't be touched. So it might be true that Grimer and Muk cause pollution.

Blackcat88

Trippy.....
I'm going to use the ideas presented in Orson Scott Card's "Xenocide" to form an answer for you.

Without totally giving away the plot, it is revealed that the native and sentient race of the planet Lusitania actually help regulate the planet's ecosystem. Well, what if that's the same thing those poison type pokemon do?

I see this in two ways. One, Weezing, Muk, etc. clean up the pollution that man creates. They were, somehow, born of the pollution and consume it to prevent a massive buildup of wastes.

Or, in fact, they do actually pollute the ecosystem. It alternates; for several years , there will be a large population of these creatures polluting the system, causing global warming. When higher temperatures threaten the planet, their populations decline, letting the planet cool off. When it gets too cold, the populations rise to warm the planet yet again. And so on and so forth.

Kveran

Pinin' for the fjord
Blackcat88, you get major points for using Xenocide. -hands a cookie-

I think Grimer and Muk are the byproducts of a chemical reaction between several types of toxic sludge that happened to mix and create something sentient. Yes, they consume pollution, but yes, their presence does influence pollution. However, I think they end up "eating" more than they leave. If they were in any other ecosystem, this would be disastrous ("You can never take more than you give..." - The Lion King, "Circle of Life") but you could say that the humans have a symbiotic relationship with Muk... they subsist on a human problem. One gets food, the other clean air; it's all good.

T

Trifecta

hehe maybe we can use lots and lots of Muks instead of water treatment plants, since they eat up all the filth. but to be honest all this muk talk is making me puke! anyone knows what chemicals muk is made of?

Another Fan

Nothing Special
Truly, I would say when a muk eats, it just adds to the body and takes energy. It isn't like the pollution disappears it is just added to the muk. The same when muk spreads pollution it is the same pollution that was there before.

kennychan007

Saiyan-Human Warrior
Another Fan said:
I believe that koffing and grimer exist in the wild because filth exists in the wild. Koffing and fire pokemon go hand in hand because they are related to smoke.

I agree with you. Muk, Koffing release some toxic gas such as SO2, NO2 and CO.Causing enviromental and human damage. Fire Pokemons may release so much carbon dioxide to pollute the earth. Global warming occur

A

ampharos ewe

Dr. Sun said:
I admit that this is probably putting too much thought into something Game Freak never intended to spell out in too much detail, but does anyone else wonder whether pokemon like Weezing and Muk harm the ecosystem? We all know enough about the effects of smog and toxic waste on real-life ecology, so it stands to wonder: do Muks contaminate and ruin lakes, making them unfit to support life? Do Weezings contribute to global warming?

I can't help but wonder about something like this-it makes you wonder what kind of a role Ash's Muk or James's Weezing have in the ecology of the pokemon world. Maybe poison-type pokemon could actually restore the ecosystem, with Muks and Grimers eating the toxic sludge in waters, thereby purifying and cleaning them, or Weezings and Koffings eating the toxic gases in the atmosphere, releasing pure oxygen as they do so?

Any thoughts?

I would tend to agree with you. They probably have a helpful function in the ecology. If they polluted the environment, they would be shedding toxins rather than absorbing them and they would become less toxic thus lowering their poison powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.