1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Elite Four's Getting Too Easy?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Henraye, Jun 29, 2013.

1. mew 2000

mew 2000 Shiny Celebi

always seem the same to me i go in not knowing what types mvoes or pokemon they have so it's always a surprise, marshall destroyed me in black 2 O_O

2. Greekboy

Greekboy Well-Known Member

It probably just feels easier because we've all been through thousands of battles, and understand just about every basic there is to know

Plus, to be honest, I feel like the most challenging champion fight was vs Cynthia - which was pretty recent.

3. jellsprout

jellsprout Well-Known Member

In RB almost all the E4 Pokemon have only level-up moves. They have at most one weak TM move, such as Lance's Pokemon all carrying Hyper Beam. This means that most of the time the Pokemon are stuck with just Normal type moves. Lorelei is difficult and a few of your Rival's Pokemon are very strong, but other than that the Red/Blue E4 is a joke. They did fix this in Yellow, where most Pokemon have gotten coverage moves.
    In GSC the E4 is only halfway through the game. This means that every Pokemon is between level 40 and 50. Again, this E4 is a joke.
    The third and fourth generation E4s are challenging, but the first two were very easy.

4. It's not easier than in previous gens.

You're just older and more experienced now.
    Plus you can look everything up. Like, who had internet back in the R/B/Y days? (At least I didn't have a pc back then and almost no one I knew had).

5. shadorai

shadorai wandering trainer

they need to make it so that it asks you how difficult you want the AI to be before you start the game.

6. Grumpy Drizzle

Grumpy Drizzle Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I had a 8 year break from Pokemon. Jumped from gen II straight to gen V (B2 to be precise).
    There is a significant difference, especially in gym leaders and elite four. Their move sets and AI responds better to basic counterplay. Clearing B2 felt nice. It wasn't super hard but posed a satisfactory level of challenge when compared to R/B/Y and G/S/C.
    Main story will probably never be too challenging since Nintendo wants to keep the franchise child-friendly.

The same thing applies for many games (WoW raiding environment for example). It's not that those games are getting easier, it's you who get better at them over the years.

7. GalladeRocks

GalladeRocks Son of a Beach

Gotta agree with the opinion that has already been offered several times: the Elite 4 isn't getting easier, we're just getting better at the game. Even then, I'm still given a lot of trouble. The only ones I would consider to be "easy" are Johto and Sinnoh, with Kanto and Unova being in the middle, and Hoenn as the absolute toughest. Also, the AI has certainly improved over the years.

8. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I don't think Lance is very easy in Gen II and their re-makes. But that has more to do with Gen 2's horrible level curve which almost guarantees you'll be several levels under the E4 by the time you get there.

9. AceOfSpadez

AceOfSpadez I Am The Law

If you grind levels enough, you'll be able to match their levels like I did.

10. Grumpy Drizzle

Grumpy Drizzle Well-Known Member

But is the level gap a matter of difficulty or merely a time-sink to prolong the game?

11. galluccinator

galluccinator New Member

I think it only SEEMS easier because we've gotten older and better at pokemon. Thank about it, when we were younger in the old games, what did we teach our pokemon? 4 attacking moves. My friends and I all never saw the point of moves that didn't do damage, and thus never used them. We didn't know how to effectively switch in, we didn't know what a certain pokemon's weak stat was, we were noobs XD. But as we got older and learned more, battleing the same difficulty trainers became easier and easier.

12. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded An enigma

If the games were too hard in today's society kids wouldn't play them. Kids these days have been spoiled with so many handicaps in games that they feel damn near invincible.
    In context of Pokemon the games for us aren't hard because most of us have lived long enough to play quite a bit of the games released, we just know way more compared to a 10yr old today because we've had more experience. Especially us competitive players who knows how the game mechanics work.

13. AceOfSpadez

AceOfSpadez I Am The Law

Yeah, we could try to EV train while level grinding in story mode.

And think about it, would a little kid give a **** if his Haxorus had a Modest nature? No. But when we get older, we notice these things more which helps us a lot.

14. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I've never had to grind in ANY other game for the E4 besides Gen II games. A level or two,I can live with and you catch up as you progress. But being several levels down when all you have to battle is wild Pokemon that top out at the upper 20s and late 30s makes grinding a huge pain.

15. TerraKingRyujin

TerraKingRyujin New Member

I can kinda see where your coming from. The A.I. Got smarter in BW2 but one thing A.I. Rerely does in Pokemon games is switch out. The 3DS is more powerful than past DS systems so I think we can maybe expect some tougher battles. I don't want them to get too hard though maybe for like important battles. Gyms, Rivals, Enemies, E4 but regular trainer battles would be tedious as imagine going through a cave full of zubats with no repels and tough intelligent trainers. You'd be there for days.

16. Shadow XD001

Shadow XD001 Well-Known Member

In the recent games, they better prepare you for the Elite Four and you don't have to do much training before facing the them. In the Johto games, it was hard to face the Elite Four and Champion because the trainers were weak and you couldn't train that well.

17. dirkac

dirkac I smash your Boxes.

From harder to easier? Nah.

Kanto and Unova were complete jokes.

Hoenn was pretty easy, but Sinnoh and Johto were tough.

Johto mainly cuz of no good training spots.

18. GalladeRocks

GalladeRocks Son of a Beach

I've also noticed that the Elite 4 and Champions have a tough time matching up. For example, I think Hoenn has the toughest Elite 4, yet Steven and Wallace are among the least difficult Champions. Sinnoh, on the other hand, doesn't have a particularly tough Elite 4, yet has the toughest Champion of any of the games. Maybe that's a way of balancing it out? Lance is really tough compared to the Johto Elite 4, as is Blue to the Kanto one. The only one that's about on par the whole way are Alder and Iris.

19. fitzy909

fitzy909 Just another guy

i agree, the later generations give you tougher trainers to face before the E4. the earlier games did not, which meant you had to train a lot to get to a high enough level.

20. DevilFruit

DevilFruit Good Kitty

In my experience, I did not find a problem with the Elite Four's challenges. In my Black 2, I found Grimsley and Marshal's battles to be exciting because of my lack of good coverage.
    My Serperior kept fainting unfortunately during these battles but my Golurk and Deino helped alot during those battles.