• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Elite Four's Getting Too Easy?

3D992

The Living Hologram
All I know is that I can best the elite four and champion in BW a hundred times with just my Reshiram. In Heargold, however, fighting Red was the hardest thing I ever did in pokemon.

DevilFruit

Good Kitty
I think FR's E4 was the hardest, and then it went downhill from their (in terms of strength and difficulty).
Sinnoh was frusrating, though, but Unova's E4 was painfully easy and boring.

ebevan91

Unova was atrociously bad. Boring, easy, and uncreative (same Pokemon we've seen all game).

Don't remember Kanto. Johto was pretty easy as well. Hoenn was kinda forgettable. Don't remember if they were easy or hard. Sinnoh was good. Took me ages to beat the 4th E4 member and Cynthia.

Last edited:

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
They should disable item use during battles in-game.
It's really cheap how people can use underleveled Pkmn and just revive over and over again.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
not really but it all depends on the person for me it really depends on the situation whether an elite four member will be hard or easy(same goes for the champ).

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I agree with Garbodor. , because my first time through an E-4, I started over, because I got stuck. Now, I can defeat them the first time, every time, even without trades. Experience helps more than strong pokes to me.

LizardonX

Banned
They should disable item use during battles in-game.
It's really cheap how people can use underleveled Pkmn and just revive over and over again.

That's part of the challenge. If you don't like it or have no self control there is a pokemart that is more than happy to buy all your revives off you while gouging you in the process.

NightFlight

I remember battling the elite4 in Yellow and they were so frustrating. The whole Yellow version was hard for me :D Now comparing the most recent (b2/w2) to past generations, I would say it's not that difficult as it used to be. Part of it maybe because we have more choices to put in our party.

JiraCool

Not A Bot
Stop putting pokemon that are/learn moves that are super effective on the E4. of course, you should just not catch them, but...the temptation.

Flashback:catching a golurk from victory road in B2W2

also, stop making the champions dragon, because most decent players have a dragon-type counter with them on their team due to most of them being OU.
the only time facing the chamion was hard was in R/B and R/S. multi and steel type, respectively.

whowantshoney

Melancholic Trainer
Make E4 like Battle Tower where items are prohibited and you can't predict his next pokemon.
also make E4 like the ones in kanto where Lorelei is 50ish and you were just 30-40ish :D
lastly, they should not only have 6 pokemon, they should have 12 and rotate them in every encounter to make it more exciting.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Make E4 like Battle Tower where items are prohibited and you can't predict his next pokemon.
also make E4 like the ones in kanto where Lorelei is 50ish and you were just 30-40ish :D
lastly, they should not only have 6 pokemon, they should have 12 and rotate them in every encounter to make it more exciting.

Again, you can just change your settings so you don't see who is coming next, and not use items yourself.

ToeyJoey

The Count
Again, you can just change your settings so you don't see who is coming next, and not use items yourself.

I don't use items anymore, though it hasn't made the Elite Four any harder. It just meant I did more grinding during the story...

Marco The Phoenix

Y Yes, I Watch Anime
Do people use those (EVs and IVs) prior to fighting the Elite Four? I thought that was more of a post-game thing...

I think it is personally.. I'm too lazy to do it on my journey. Not that I even would do it if I felt like it. I'll play normal before I beat the elite four & after I've done everything else post game. After everything is done, why not.

KalosChampion

I don't think the levels should be higher, because then people would train longer and it would be just as easy as before. I think that the Pokemon you fight should know moves to counter their weaknesses, and should switch out more often. Also, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four should have more Pokemon.

Its getting far too easy. Remember back in R/B/Y, even if you powerleveled your pokemon on Victory Road, you still got raped by the time you got to Agatha? Game was that hard.

All these new abilities, stats boosting moves that turn sh*t pokemon into Super Saiyans and hold items. Also the fact that Elite 4 pokemon don't seem to pack coverage moves anymore.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
The easiest E4 was R/B/Y mainly because I could abuse all those nice mechanics to my advantage, Johto's was really easy but ramped up in HG/SS, Hoenn was probably the hardest for me (no lie over the course of trying I actually got my Swellow to level 100!), Sinnoh also took me awhile Cynthia was a pretty hard Champion, B/W B/W2 were the easiest after Johto IMO atleast.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
True I would like to see the NPC's of the Elite Four to be harder, I do remember the Elite Four back in R/B to be pretty hard. I thought it was a miracle sometimes that I even made it to Lance, and that I felt so great after beating Blue your rival. Yet back than I was only five, I didn't have access to the internet or the strategy guide until I got Yellow. I hardly understood the games mechanics, much less know/remember all the types advantages/weakness. So of course the game was harder for me back than.....an I mean lot harder.
Buffing up the levels to the trainers pokemon won't solve anything. They need to make the AI of NPC's better, which they have done to a certain extent. However I'm afraid they won't make the AI better for the NPC's because of the younger audience, you have to remember people of all ages play this game. I certainly don't expect a five year old to fully understand EV's, IV's, breeding, Type chart, stats, physical/special moves, etc, I expect them to just play cause it's fun.
Now I liked that Game Freak added a difficulty to Black 2/White 2 however I didn't really like how they implemented it. You have to beat the game to unlock it....and White 2 has Easy mode, an Black 2 has Challenge mode. First of all why do you have to beat the game just to unlock them, an second why did they separate them why not put both Easy and Challenge mode on both games without getting both games or having a friend with the other game? I'd like to have the challenge mode when I first started Black 2 so that was a bit of a let down.
So I'm hopping they add the Easy mode and Challenge mode to X and Y, but instead allow the player to choose it from the start(an just like B2/W2 they can deactivate them whenever) besides having them beat the game just to unlock them.
As far as making the AI better they need to make it so NPC's especially the Elite Four know how to cover their weaknesses. This of course applies to the Challenge mode, as well as Normal mode(to a certain extent of course) allow them to switch out, have moves to counter. Actually set up traps and stat boosts properly instead of spamming them when it's not necessary. I want to actually have a challenge when I face the Elite Four(Gym Leaders and even regular Trainers too). I've been purposely going in to the Elite Four under level just to make it slightly more challenging. Cause even now if I have a Pokemon that knows a decent enough move that super-effective against their weakness, you pretty much sweep through their entire team with ease(same goes for Gym Leaders).