• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Emerald In-Game Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
Hey there, I want to restart my Emerald save file since I recently changed the battery in the cartridge and my last save file was completed just after the battery ran dry. I wanted to use Pokémons I normally do not use, with the exception of my starter and my second Pokémon. However, I am not entirely sure with this team, and wanted help perfecting the movesets. I am willing to change Pokémons if they are proved "useless" (not fit for this team).

No natures, no EV/IVs, no breeding, no trading. You can suggest items.

Moves in italic are moves I am not really sure about.

Swampert ;260;
-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Brick Break

Gardevoir ;282;
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-Shock Wave

Flygon ;330;
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Earthquake (although Swampert will (most likely) have it)
-Hyper Beam

Camerupt ;323;
-Flamethrower
-Amnesia
-Rock Slide
-Magnitude

Skarmory ;227;
-Fly
-Steel Wing
-Spikes
-Aerial Ace

Electrode ;101;
-Thunderbolt
-Explosion
-Screech
-Toxic

CowNorris

Observing.
Flygon and Swampert both gets STAB on Earthquake, so keep those;
Gardevoir may need a ghost type for coverage but Shadow Ball is a physical move in Gen 3, and Gardevoir has pathetic stats on the physical side. I'd switch it out for Thunderbolt and switch Shock Wave for Thunder Wave - always handy to hax the opponent.
Hyper Beam isn't really that good on Flygon, in fact, I only use it on Slaking since you're vulnerable for the next turn. I'd probably switch it out for Fire Blast for coverage against grass types.
Skarmory is an great staller, so keep that - Milotic would have been better though, but you can't get it until much later. I would teach Skarm Rest instead of Steel Wing (Steel sucks for attacking) to make him last even longer
Camerupt has a huge gaping weakness to water so I wouldn't keep Amnesia on. There isn't any good fire types in Emerald that I could suggest so keep it I guess. I personally prefer Fire Blast over Flamethrower but the latter IS a bit more reliable. Definitely switch Magnitude to EQ. I wold also consider Strength since you need the HM to get through the game anyways.

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
I guess I could switch Camerupt for Torkoal if it is a better choice for my team. I'm going to do a little research on it after job. Also, I would prefer another attack for Skarmory for coverage if possible but I will keep Rest in mind. As for Gardevoir, I won't teach him Thunderbolt since I have Electrode for this, though I will change Shadow Ball for Thunder Wave. And I agree with Fire Blast on Flygon for coverage, I put Hyper Beam because I had no idea what to teach him. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

CowNorris

Observing.
Well, the only thing Electrode has going for him is its speed - everything else is pretty sub par. I would switch him out for perhaps a fighting type like Breloom, Heracross or perhaps a wall such as Ludicolo. Gardevoir has much better special attack than Electrode that even with STAB Thundetbolt Gardevoir would still inch further - not to mention Electrode's very poor physical attack which renders Explosion ineffective.
But for novelty, he's still a cool Pokémon to use!

Oh, Rhydon is a pretty fine choice too, he even learns Surf! Watch it for the double 4x weakness of you decide to use him, though!

Last edited:

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
Yeah now that I've checked again, Electrode does seems a bit sub-par. I would have liked an electric Pokémon though, and another choice I had in mind was:

Manectric ;310;
-Thunderbolt
-Strength
-Roar
-Toxic

If I had to choose another type and give Gardevoir Thunderbolt, though, I thought of:

Absol ;359;
-Swords Dance
-Aerial Ace
-Slash
-Shadow Ball

What do you think?

*Edit* Also, I'm now debating on whether I should use Camerupt or Torkoal. Torkoal is more of a physical tank than Camerupt and has a 2x weakness to water as opposed to Camerupt's 4x weakness, but has a weakness to rock which Camerupt doesn't have. But, Torkoal has lower attack and special attack than Camerupt. Both are very slow so the speed doesn't really matter as both would go last most of the time, so withstanding the first attack is important. If I had to use a Torkoal, I would use this:

Torkoal ;324;
-Heat Wave
-Curse or Amnesia
-Flail
-Sludge Bomb

Last edited:

CowNorris

Observing.
Manetric has great speed and Special Attack, so he wouldn't be a bad addition at all - I would switch Toxic out for another status move like Thunder Wave and switch Roar for Crunch (Breed with Poochyena.

Absol's moves are fine for most parts except for Slash, IMO. Strength and Razor Wind both has 80 base power instead of the 70 - even factoring in critical chance, Strength and Razor Wind would do more damage overall. Of course, Return will always be more powerful once you get it.

Torkoal is not as good as Camerrupt in my opinion - physical defense is its only good stat, coupled with low HP, it won't even function well as a wall. If you want another wall, I'd go for Ludicolo or Claydol. Rhydon and Aggron is great too, both sporting huge defense as well as decent HP and Attack

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
Ok, so I guess this team would be good then?

Swampert ;260;
-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Brick Break

Gardevoir ;282;
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Shock Wave
-Toxic

Flygon ;330;
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Crunch

Camerupt ;323;
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Strength
-Rock Slide

Skarmory ;227;
-Fly
-Spikes
-Aerial Ace
-Rest

Manectric ;310;
-Thunderbolt
-Crunch
-Strength
-Thunder Wave

CowNorris

Observing.
Seems pretty good, I'd just give Gardevoir Thunderbolt anyways; it's already pretty accurate and Shock Wave's lackluster power isn't worth the trade off for the guaranteed hit. I would also consider another another Ice type attack somewhere on the team, just in case Swampert gets knocked out by Lance's dragons, you'd still have a chance rather than having to do the undignified Hyper Potion spam.

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
The problem is, I believe only Swampert can learn Ice Beam. Also, I think you meant Drake's dragons since this is Emerald :D

Starforsaken

Clad In Shadows
You might want to breed Drill Peck on a Keen Eye Skarmory instead of teaching him Aerial Ace, since Keen Eye prevents accuracy reduction. Also, I personally prefer Salamence over Flygon: more HP, Atk and Sp Atk with equal Def, Sp Def and Speed. Salamence has a weakness to Rock that Flygon doesn't have though, but it is strong enough to sweep through a lot of things. I like these setups for Salamence:

Physical Sweeper Salamence (Adamant)
-Aerial Ace
-Dragon Claw
-Double Edge
-Earthquake

Mixed Attacker Salamence (Hasty/Naive)
-Flamethrower
-Crunch
-Aerial Ace
-Dragon Claw

But Flygon is a good choice with a good moveset, although Flamethrower would be better for type coverage than Hyper Beam is, adding the fact that it is a 2-turn move.

Status
Not open for further replies.