1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Event Cartridges - Is It Legal?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Shadow_Trainer, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Shadow_Trainer

Shadow_Trainer Event Marquis

Some Pokemon events use special cartridges to distribute Pokemon and/or special items. When the event is over, those cartridges are sent back to Nintendo and are disposed of, but a few slip through the cracks. People are able to obtain these carts and have an unlimited supply of the event Pokemon and/or item!

My question to everyone: Is it ok to obtain an event Pokemon outside of its event period and Nintendo's supervision using one of these cartridges? Is it illegal? If not, should it be?

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Illegal? I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV but I would think there is absolutely some degree of legal impropriety to taking property from a company without any kind of authorization and using it for excessive personal gain, even if it’s something meaningless like a video game. That’s stealing, by most definitions. The question, of course, is whether it’s the sort of legal impropriety that would result in action taken against you aside from Nintendo’s lawyers very, very sternly asking you to return it. Unless you, personally, actively stole it by committing the theft or assisting in it, the answer is probably no, unless you were trying to make money off of it somehow.

Ok? It’s most definitely not okay. No part of this is okay. At best you’re circumventing the rules for your own gain - the question is how much that bothers you and whether anyone dealing with you cares. I would hope the answer is at least “to some degree” on both counts, but there’s no accounting for people. At worst, however, again, you’re actively using stolen property. No part of that is okay.

3. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

What if you're given one as a gift by one of the guys responsible for it

4. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Well there's a difference between illegal and stuff that's not legal but won't get persecuted, because it would cause more trouble to do so than to just ignore it. However what particular thing falls in which category varies wildly from country to country, so well...
    I don't think anybody will bother much about someone loading a Pokemon from a 10+ year old cartridge, it's not legal, but I doubt people will bother. I just wouldn't go around selling Pokemon from said cartridge, that would be almost certainly be persecuted.

What that means for official tournaments and stuff, I wouldn't be able to tell you, since I've never been in one and don't know anybody who have been to one either. Though I gotta say that personally, I'd find it not very moral if someone uses this to get a Pokemon to use competitively. If they just wanna use it it game, alright, but in official tournaments it would be very shady.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The terms of employment for these people (and most people) forbid them from doing just that. The property of Nintendo is not their employees’ to give away “as a gift.”