• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Evolutions: Series of shorts

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Might be a bold assumption so forgive me if I am wrong, but it kind of looks like the Kanto episode will take after the LGP&E games since they are the only ones that specifically feature that design of Green, and also the fact that it looks like she has a Blastoise.

Which means that Red is not a protagonist in this Universe and that role falls on either Chase or Elaine.

It also makes sense since they are the most recent Kanto games in the series but I personally always regarded them as not so canon.
Red and Green already did their journeys prior to the EP protagonists (Green even envies the fact you have a pokedex to make it easier), and Blue seems to be chasing after Mewtwo

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Looking pretty damn good, these are being done by OLM themselves too.

"Look, we're REALLY sorry about Pocket Monsters 2019. How about some kick-ass shorts for the Anniversary that have ACTUAL adventures and characters you WANT to see. We'll even do over some stuff we didn't use or messed up in the Show for good measure!"

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
"Look we're REALLY worry about Pocket Monsters 2019. How about some kick-ass shorts for the Anniversary that have ACTUAL adventures and characters you WANT to see. We'll even do over some stuff we didn't use or messed up in the Show for good measure!"
The only way they'll fix it for me is to cancel the main anime and give us a new anime with 20-25 20+minute episodes every year, not these 5 minute shorts lol

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The dunking on Journeys amuses me because Generations was only good in the animation department. The stories they told weren't interesting at all. But since this has less eps, maybe it'll have longer eps.

Jibanyan

The dunking on Journeys amuses me because Generations was only good in the animation department. The stories they told weren't interesting at all. But since this has less eps, maybe it'll have longer eps.

I don't think the episodes will be longer and the fact there is only footage for gen 8,7 and 6 and the gap in November(tho it can be bc if the remakes) makes me think this will be rushed

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!

The dunking on Journeys amuses me because Generations was only good in the animation department.

Speak for yourself. I for one enjoyed seeing alternate takes on the villains and people being let out of Not Animated Jail. To this day I love to watch the Isshu Gym Leaders vs. Team Plasma short from time to time :D
Heck, Generations did TP better than the Show even tried to do, IMHO.

The stories they told weren't interesting at all. But since this has less eps, maybe it'll have longer eps.
IKR?

With Generations is was three shorts per Gen with less than 15 minutes between them.

Here an entry per Gen should be at least 15 minutes.

Last edited:

LazySpy

Kimty
"Interesting" is subjective, Journeys has problems with its writing and how it executes its payoffs.

Cite at least one issue with writing in any of Generation's episodes that isn't "they're too brief to make me invested" and is unrelated to your subjective experience with it.

Last edited:

Cyclone

^ where it all began
The only way they'll fix it for me is to cancel the main anime and give us a new anime with 20-25 20+minute episodes every year, not these 5 minute shorts lol
I agree, even though I enjoyed Pokemon Generations, they were tantalizingly short. They're almost like watching trailers, they're not satisfying enough, even though I did love the ones where Kyogre eats Team Aqua (seemingly) and the trainer catches Deoxys in space. They all needed to be longer. But as an old Pokemon Adventures/Special fan I am SUPER excited to see a short devoted to Green and her Blastoise, finally!

Soniman

Break the Limit
To be fair Generations aired during XYZ's run, one of the most beloved seasons in the fan base so there was considerably less dunking then. As opposed to now where roasting JN is basically the local pastime so anything not JN will get praised on the fact alone lol.

it more reminds me of when Origins first came out in-between BW and XY and it was just as bad then because everyone hated the current anime then too.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tbh I did like them quite a bit, especially the ones that did their own things like the Cheryl one or the Gabby/Ty one. Plus it was great to see some BW/BW2 events actually animated, considering how the anime treated Plasma

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
POKEMON GENERATIONS 2.0 LETS GOOO
I personally always loved Pokémon Generations and disagreed with the hate it got and man oh man am I happy we are getting a 2.0 esp as I kept wishing we would get episodes for Alola and Galar and behold, we are!!!
Also, ZINNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! And BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so so so so hyped for those 2 alone.
Episodes and their release dates:
September 23, 2021: “The Eclipse” featuring the Alola region
I'm getting the Alola episode a day before my bday??? Let's go <3 Also would be getting a JN episode on my bday so that's a bonus!! Esp coz its best girl Lillie as well! I absolutely love Lillie
Also seems like it would be the first time we'll see Zinnia animated.
IKR IM SO HYPED FOR THIS
I always hated that Pokémon generations hoenn episode coz it didn't feature Zinnia when it had the proper chance to do so but now that's being redeemed so I'm fine with it, in fact that news story episode and deoxys is battle is pretty interesting to look back at.

I am however disappointed it's only one episode per gen. Simply because in Generations every gen got 3 episodes to depict their events
Alola and Galar will only get one :/
Well I mean Galar got Twilight Wings so it doesn't really need more, esp coz nothing much happens in it anyway
But man I really wish we got more Alola episodes like that Necrozma battle (and URS being let out of non animated jail) but beggars can't be choosers
Very hyped for this series. Also people taking dunks on the main anime with this of all things are cringe

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I dunno, I think I'm just getting tired of these game animations. We've gotten at least one each Gen since Gen VI. Now we're doing two?

At least with Poketoons, they're completely original tales.

I am at least glad to see the female players getting represented.

Guess all that backlash last time got through to them.

Last edited:

Maxim

Beyond repair
This looks... pretty promising, I must say.
I am especially happy with how many "alternate animes" we got this gen. Poketoons, Twilight Wings, the GOTCHA video (if it counts) and now this. I hope the trend continues and we will be getting more of these in the future. Especially that 2022 will mark the 25th anniversary of Pokemon Special vol. 1 release in Japan. I am really hoping for a commemorative OVA or miniseries based on the manga. This seemed like a total pipe dream a few years ago, but now I think it has advanced from "totally impossible" to "unlikely but not impossible".

But going back to Evolutions. Since the episodes are fewer in number than Generations, I would at least hope that they are longer than five minutes, though this might be a pipe dream.
The Johto one looks especially promising to me, but perhaps that's just my bias for everything Johto-related. But the choice of Kimono Girls as the protagonist is curious. At first I thought it'd retell the Lugia climax from SoulSilver, but one of the concept arts shows the Kimono Girl performing in front of the crowd (and the episode's title "The Show" suggests that as well), so it may not be what it seems to be. The Kanto one is interesting in the aspect that it seems to be based on the LGPE version of the story and uses LGPE Green as the protagonist. It seems to take place in Unknown Dungeon, if I'm identifying one of the concept arts right. I just hope that it won't be just about Green throwing PokeBalls at Mewtwo. The Hoenn one may be interesting too if it provides some backstory about Zinnia, Aster and the Draconids.

One fear I have that some of the episodes may overlap with Generations, retelling more or less the same stories. I'm especially afraid about the Unova one (looks like a retelling of the Pokemon League Plasma climax to me, but it's too early to say for sure...), the Kalos one also looks suspicious. The first episode that comes next week should tell us what to expect more or less, although it's the later episodes that look the most interesting to me. The Galar episode looks pretty straightforward and predictable as to what it's gonna be.

I'm waiting and I hope for more game-based (or manga-based, or even self-based like Poketoons) animations alternate to the "Ashnime" in the future. This is something that we never get enough of.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Super excited for this. Don’t really care for these as they bring a tsunami of “this is what the anime should be” but Galar representation in Journeys has been very disappointing. Also @Mythical-Moonlight made me realize Victor is dark sinned which is a rarity for this franchise (not complaining. Just nice to see some variation). Speaking of variation, nice to see Blue/Green/whatever people call the female Kanto protag instead of yet another retelling of the rivalry from Gen 1.

The Discovery: probably the LGPE take on Mewtwo’s postgame side quest given Blue’s here
The Show: most likely the Kimono girls dancing to summon Lugia.I hope they use Kris instead of Ethan or Lyra
The Wish: Zinnia’s plea to Rayquaza. I’m glad she’s getting her animated debut. Also shows May in what I assume is her imagination depicting the events told on Sky Pillar’s walls
The Rival: Barry and his encounter with Jupiter at Lake Valor Acuity. Maybe a rematch at Spear Pillar?
The Visionary: Shows Alder which is good since I’ll welcome some redemption for him. Assuming it’s him vs Ghetsis at the Ruins in the desert and the latter hinting at his hopes for N at the game’s climax.
The Eclipse: Necrozma and the design of Selene points to this being the USUM climax. Probably the one I’m most interested in
The Champion: Pretty straight forward with Leon, Hop, and Victor vs Eternatus.

This looks... pretty promising, I must say.
I am especially happy with how many "alternate animes" we got this gen. Poketoons, Twilight Wings, the GOTCHA video (if it counts) and now this. I hope the trend continues and we will be getting more of these in the future. Especially that 2022 will mark the 25th anniversary of Pokemon Special vol. 1 release in Japan. I am really hoping for a commemorative OVA or miniseries based on the manga. This seemed like a total pipe dream a few years ago, but now I think it has advanced from "totally impossible" to "unlikely but not impossible".

But going back to Evolutions. Since the episodes are fewer in number than Generations, I would at least hope that they are longer than five minutes, though this might be a pipe dream.
The Johto one looks especially promising to me, but perhaps that's just my bias for everything Johto-related. But the choice of Kimono Girls as the protagonist is curious. At first I thought it'd retell the Lugia climax from SoulSilver, but one of the concept arts shows the Kimono Girl performing in front of the crowd (and the episode's title "The Show" suggests that as well), so it may not be what it seems to be. The Kanto one is interesting in the aspect that it seems to be based on the LGPE version of the story and uses LGPE Green as the protagonist. It seems to take place in Unknown Dungeon, if I'm identifying one of the concept arts right. I just hope that it won't be just about Green throwing PokeBalls at Mewtwo. The Hoenn one may be interesting too if it provides some backstory about Zinnia, Aster and the Draconids.

One fear I have that some of the episodes may overlap with Generations, retelling more or less the same stories. I'm especially afraid about the Unova one (looks like a retelling of the Pokemon League Plasma climax to me, but it's too early to say for sure...), the Kalos one also looks suspicious. The first episode that comes next week should tell us what to expect more or less, although it's the later episodes that look the most interesting to me. The Galar episode looks pretty straightforward and predictable as to what it's gonna be.

I'm waiting and I hope for more game-based (or manga-based, or even self-based like Poketoons) animations alternate to the "Ashnime" in the future. This is something that we never get enough of.
Eh? playing the devil advocate here, The Anime with Ash Ketchum is loosely based on Pokémon Games, so they're straight-up copying Red for Pokémon Anime only named Ash Ketchum.

but devil advocate aside, I wished that main Pokémon Anime could actually follow the Pokémon Games.