• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon 'fainting' in 6th generation

Ditto B1tch

I love the fainting animations. They remind me of the ones from Pokemon Stadium. I wish they kept Jynx's animation from PS/PS2, where it completely disappears and all that is left is its hair. That was cool.
Yeah, kid. That was very funny. And it is a shame they didn't do Pokemon Stadium 3 yet.

I'd have to say I do prefer the animations from the console games overall. These fainting animations go by too quickly. They don't even let the Pokemon hit the floor most of the time.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd have to say I do prefer the animations from the console games overall. These fainting animations go by too quickly. They don't even let the Pokemon hit the floor most of the time.
Have to agree. I mean, six gen handheld animations is a great improvement to falling through the ground, but the GCN/Wii animations just seemed more entertaining in general.

And not just the fainting ones! One thing that is missing imo in X&Y animations is something for Pokemon taking a hit - a lot of it is generic, and the Pokemon rarely move off the spot they were on when taking an attack. Compare this to the likes of Colosseum or etc, where Pokemon are knocked back, react to the hit (e.g. shaking their head, or stumbling a bit... Spinda in fact was notable - waving its arms wildly, almost falls over, then rushes back forward, all the while looking like the drunk it is. And Sableye! Clutches its head, then grins at you and shuffles back to its spot.)

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Have to agree. I mean, six gen handheld animations is a great improvement to falling through the ground, but the GCN/Wii animations just seemed more entertaining in general.

And not just the fainting ones! One thing that is missing imo in X&Y animations is something for Pokemon taking a hit - a lot of it is generic, and the Pokemon rarely move off the spot they were on when taking an attack. Compare this to the likes of Colosseum or etc, where Pokemon are knocked back, react to the hit (e.g. shaking their head, or stumbling a bit... Spinda in fact was notable - waving its arms wildly, almost falls over, then rushes back forward, all the while looking like the drunk it is. And Sableye! Clutches its head, then grins at you and shuffles back to its spot.)

The most notable one of those for me was in Pokémon Battle Revolution. When fainting an Electrode, his eyes pop out of his head like it belongs in some sort of Tom & Jerry cartoon.

Hawlucha's animation is pretty neat;falling to the ground on one knee his/her feather arm raising in the air as if in a bad spanish acent "we played my amigo"

Just opened up this thread and saw this. Priceless, mis amigos. I really like watching Scizor faint, the faceplant makes the fact that I lost my favorite Pokemon a little more tolerable.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
My first thought was like, "WTF They shrink now? Well at least they don't get buried in the ground" XD

Trainer battles though are cooler, I like it.

Still haven't seen the Kangaskahn animation though XD nya~

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
Silcoon doesn't move at all from appearing to fainting...

Aurorus looks like having a stomach ache. Klefki loses all its keys, snivel...

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised by how many people are saddened by Klefki's fainting animation. It makes me chuckle.

I do like the new animations, I just feel like some should have been ported over from the Stadium games (Jynx being the main example).

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Oh wow, interesting topic! That's one thing I really like that they added in X and Y, especially with the games becoming more 3D. My favourite fainting animation in there is definitely Haunter's "NOOOOOOOO" pose and Mr. Mime's spinning facepalm. It's also really amusing to knock out a whole bunch of Pokemon at once in a horde battle. Probably since their animations don't happen at the same time; they're staggered a bit to make it look more realistic.

I remember that before X and Y, I was really missing the fainting animations from earlier games, especially the stadium ones. I really liked the Misdreavus one where it stretches out then disappears, leaving only its necklace which breaks apart and the beads scatter on the floor. And Kadabra's, which had it sink into a sitting position and throw its spoon in the air, and then the spoon falls on its head and it acts all dizzy. And also Togepi's, where it turned around and ran back to its trainer before falling forward. ("Mommy!") The eye-popping Electrode originated from there too.

And then there was the comment on other animations in the console games, like ones where the Pokemon got hit. That I do have to agree on. I remember in Colosseum, whenever Medicham got hit, it fell as usual, but then got up and did a graceful little flip, as if it was some sort of acrobat. Way to make one of my favourite Pokemon that much more awesome.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Some of my favourite fainting animations are Sawk falling to its knees before it collapses and Kirlia stumbling backwards. I do feel gulity when I see Electrike and Gible faint however.

Zaberz

Sabertoothz
As everyone said,it makes me want to be careful next time and also kinda makes me feel sad because I never knew how those things looked when they fainted.I'm very suprised how no one mentioned Tediursa,that little bear cries and curls up when it faints,makes me want to hug it.

Tonguetyd

Archeops looks ridiculous. It flaps its wings comically fast to stay in the air.
Aurorus is also cool, looks like it tries to get up but fails.

Kim62

Hello
Fainting animation has existed since the stadium games. Actually I'm interested in how much the models have changed since then.