• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan-Fic Cliches

World Turtle

Disclaimer: Not a complaint thread, this is more about discussing how some ideas (example: Ash being betrayed by everyone) don't really work and how if possible to make them work (example: the betrayal is really a trick of a villain and illusions or mind-control is involved)

I personally would like to write a satire or parody of all the various overused plots and characterizations in one big story. Or a Crack Treated Seriously story and either playing things straight or subverting them if not adverting the really bad ones outright.

So I want to put together a list (this is mainly anime specific, but if anyone wants to add stuff from the manga fan-fics go ahead).

Here is what I have so far (which I got on TVTropes in the Pokemon section of the fandom specific plot trope page):

Betrayal (including Ash being framed)

Ash Gets Serious and goes to train atop Mt. Silver and becomes more of a "meta gamer" (Nicer!Paul or Fandom!Red Clone)

Ash is Immortal (can’t age, though neither has anyone else)

Ash has Daddy Issues
Ash’s Dad is Giovanni or some kind of antagonistic force

Humans become Pokemon and visa versa.

Ash becomes a Frontier Brain

Harem/Shipping Wars

Kanto Retellings with Smart!Ash et al.

Ash Gets Back Or Keeps *insert Pokemon here*

Ash captures a Pokémon he befriended but did not catch in canon

Ash uses his Aura Powers
Ash is The Chosen One (specifically in the case he's Super Special for it to the point his character isw defined by it)

Delia being a Bad Mom (which comes up in Papa!Kukui/Mama!Burnett centric Fics)
Misty is a violent maniac
Serena is a yandere

Oak’s Lab being hell, Ash is negligent of his Pokemon.

Ash or Dawn in Hisui (bringing Ingo home)

Ash trades his 29 extra Tauros

Ash has PTSD and is in Alola to take a vacation after the Kalos Crisis

Coma Theory

Importing game plots into the anime (like TR's raid on Silph. Co for the Master Ball)

Ash is a Pokemon
Ash is the child of a legendary

Everyone is aged up

Final Fight with TR/Giovanni

World Tournament (anime kind of checked this off with the PWC...)