• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan Presents the Alola Pokémon League

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
None of the anime leagues are canon to the games

I don't remember battling Ritchie in RGBY, there's no Tobias in DPPt, no Cameron in BW/2, and the title defense matches don't feature any of the trial captains

:p

Pretty sure they mean in the sense that it is the first league like in the games. Which in that sense it is canon like the games but that is the only way it would be. Actually thinking about it game leagues make no real sense. It is pretty much the champion league that the anime has hinted at. Are we to assume anyone who gets all 8 badges can battle the E4? Nothing to filter them out exists? Seems odd to me

dman_dustin

I think Ash win will the Alola League them retire. I want Galar to have a new main hero.

Only people who hate Ash would say this.

There is NO reasonable way they would ever do justice for Ash in Alola as his final appearance.

This series may not have been the worst, there are some things they did write, but god damn if they didn't have a CLUE about what they were doing.

The Trials were treated as a joke, there was hardly ANY battles at all in this series (primarily only focusing on Grand Trials for battles).

His Pokemon haven't gotten the right treatment, forcing Rowlet to stay unevolved, who knows what will happen with Torracat.

The league may have powerful hitters, but nothing screams "This is good enough of a send off for Ash."

I would forever hate the anime if they retired after THIS awful series (in context to retiring Ash).

If they do the Galar region right (Ash winning the league, but perhaps losing to the Elite Four), and then the series ends with a massive tournament where a BUNCH of old characters return, Ash uses each and everyone of his Pokemon, and they all get at least one win. Then Ash can be retired. Not before then, and not to a pathetic series like this.

Kintaro

Banned
The SM anime has been good for everything except for battling, really, and I guess how they handled Ash. Which makes me wonder about the league.

This saga has been billed as Ash on vacation, hence why he doesn't take his training as seriously.

Lightning Bolt

Anime's version of the trial captains, who are some of the most pathetic characters, and this is a series that has Cameron
You shouldn't use a OC from BW as an argument in a SM discussion. And if the anime's version of the Trial Captains are pathetic or not doesn't really care tbh. Of course, anime's Trial Captains and game's Trial Captain are different characters in different canons. If the games Sophocles challenges you for the Champion Title in the Title Defense matches and the anime's Sophocles is going to the Alola League, this isn't going to be a total farce. Same goes to Gladion btw.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I think Ash win will the Alola League them retire. I want Galar to have a new main hero.
If this was the case, then the marketing department has failed to hype this up as a finale as all marketing departments do whenever there is a finale. Since this is not a finale, I say the department did their job.

Are we to assume anyone who gets all 8 badges can battle the E4? Nothing to filter them out exists? Seems odd to me
If Generations is any indication, the leagues don't filter because barely anyone qualifies 8 badges. It was stated by the Kanto Elite Four that it has been ages since the last challenger.

desdar300

Pretty sure they mean in the sense that it is the first league like in the games. Which in that sense it is canon like the games but that is the only way it would be. Actually thinking about it game leagues make no real sense. It is pretty much the champion league that the anime has hinted at. Are we to assume anyone who gets all 8 badges can battle the E4? Nothing to filter them out exists? Seems odd to me
That's what victory road is for

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
That's what victory road is for
I'd like to think some trainers just over it and the league HQ has never thought people do it. :)

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Nah, that won't happen. Alola league is not on same par with other main leagues and Ash won't be replaced because his dream is not over and because of Pikachu. The only ones that can be replaced are TRio. But, I don't think they will because they found good ground for them( TR not appearing every episode).

while story-wise I'd agree, that'd mean ash's final pokemon in the league would most likely be rowlet, which is why I can't see hau beating ash
They can always make Alolan Raichu be Hau's final mon
None of the anime leagues are canon to the games

I don't remember battling Ritchie in RGBY, there's no Tobias in DPPt, no Cameron in BW/2, and the title defense matches don't feature any of the trial captains

Cameron technically appeared in BW2 in that one download tournament for japanese fans
He started in Kanto so he should have retire there... or SHOULD retire there if they make him travel through Kanto once again like they did in BF

Agustin Gomez

TheShiningBald
In truth i would like if Ash retired here. His character has changed so much since the start of the series that I can't say i'm seeing the same character. Not in his core personality, but for SM they changed some of his behaviour to fit the humorous tone of the series, something that would have been easy to fix by creating a new character based off in the main character of the games or other.
To me, Pokemon anime should be like Yu Gi Oh, where each season has a new Main Characters, with different goals, different personalities and cameos from older MC. It would keep the story fresh without changing the core elements of the series.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
In truth i would like if Ash retired here. His character has changed so much since the start of the series that I can't say i'm seeing the same character. Not in his core personality, but for SM they changed some of his behaviour to fit the humorous tone of the series, something that would have been easy to fix by creating a new character based off in the main character of the games or other.
To me, Pokemon anime should be like Yu Gi Oh, where each season has a new Main Characters, with different goals, different personalities and cameos from older MC. It would keep the story fresh without changing the core elements of the series.
That's basically just Pokemon Adventures. Although if they do decide to retire the character, would they make an entirely new character exclusive to the anime canon or would they use what the games has to offer. It could be very interesting, instead of being a sequel, it's more like it happens around the same time as Ash's journey. An expanded take on Jimmy and Marina, the anime's take on Gold & Kyrs, who encounters whatever the anime's take on Silver is or maybe we get to see May again but she meets Brendan and Wally, and the three of them go on a journey together. Or perhaps they could do a sequel and use the next male and female protagonist of the Sword & Shield games as their next clean slate for a main character.

Kintaro

Banned
The writers getting rid of both Misty/Brock for good, Team Rocket not appearing in every ep anymore, and constant different portrayals of Ash prove it's not impossible to do a full new series if they wanted.

There was a time when people thought Misty or Brock could never leave, look at the big deal people tried to make out of Misty leaving back in 2002, which now 17 years later after the end of the Johto saga, looks laughable and ridiculous of how irrelevant and short lived her character was. The writers can do anything.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The writers getting rid of both Misty/Brock for good, Team Rocket not appearing in every ep anymore, and constant different portrayals of Ash prove it's not impossible to do a full new series if they wanted.

There was a time when people thought Misty or Brock could never leave, look at the big deal people tried to make out of Misty leaving back in 2002, which now 17 years later after the end of the Johto saga, looks laughable and ridiculous of how irrelevant and short lived her character was. The writers can do anything.
Except having Ash win the league lol.

Red and Blue

Can we just wait and see what they do with Ash in Galar before we decide to "retire" him?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Still doesn't make it any less hilarious seeing people actively want the TRio to go away when it's obviously not gonna happen.
I was hoping they'd write them off as soon as Rainbow Rocket was revealed, but if Giovanni's not going to be involved physically I don't want them to leave. Giovanni needs to be what makes them quit, not Matori, not Butch/Cassidy or anyone else in the org... Giovanni. He's the one they always want praise from, who they idolize. Seeing him go too far or do something that makes them change allegiance is what needs to occur to make them leaving feel justified.

I love the TRio, they're the reason I still watch the anime and always will be as I love them far more than I do Ash(Well not Jessie as an individual.... >.> )
But I see a lot of ways the anime could improve with them gone, gives room for a group of grunts belonging to the new villain team(s) and more room to expand upon the new villain organization.
Plus no more.... Writers: "How are we going to cause drama? *lazily looks at the TRio* Yeah, that's a good idea!" Really stunk this series as Team Skull is the PERFECT role to fill those shoes but they barely used them... then there's episodes that could have used the TRio where they didn't appear. Lillie watching Pikachu was the perfect time to steal him; Seeing what the TR members saw during the dead people episode would have been cool, even if they just showed Jessie's mother as they never really touched on her family in an episode. And it'd have been dark humor but James' parents showing up and him thinking they were playing him again would have been funny

Even if Ash wins this League, the "Ash never won a League" trope will still exist. The Alola League ain't a real League. There's no beating around that. Ash wouldn't have earned the right either as only Kiawe, Guzma, Gladion, Hau, and Ilima earned the right to be there. They're all competent trainers who worked hard and earned the right to be considered Ash's equal. Freaking Shiron and Eevee? lol Please.... That's saying Braixen and Chespin are Pikachu's equal

Agustin Gomez

TheShiningBald
I don't think you wanted to use Yu-Gi-Oh! as the example there. For one, since 5D's YGO has been set in different universes/time periods from the DM-GX continuity. There haven't been cameos from previous main characters in nearly a decade, with the last team up happening in a pseudo-canon movie, Bonds Beyond Time. Side characters appeared in Arc-V as fanservice, but they ended up hurting the story overall due to incompetent writing.

Second, YGO has been the posterchild for bland, irritating main characters ever since Atem's story ended. That's why all the movies, and most of the games, have been focused squarely on Yugi and/or Kaiba.

Like it or not, Ash is the co-star of the Pokemon anime alongside Pikachu. Investment with him and his struggles/adventures is why people actually care about the Pokemon League, which in the games is a joke and wasn't a major story focus until Alola.

I remember when Pokemon Origins came out and everyone was thrilled with Red as the protagonist for the first episode. But by the second episode, people realized that he's Ash without any of the charm, struggle or relatability. I guess you could call the stupid game-like qualities of that universe "struggle" but it wasn't in service of entertaining or emotionally engaging the audience.

Bottom line...Ash is an institution, and while that's never a good reason to keep a character tied to the cast, the anime could easily do more with him to keep new fans interested. Ash hasn't changed in 20 years but neither has Goku, and the main difference between them is one character always loses, while the other always wins.

Of course I'm not talking to do it like Yu Gi Oh in that sense. About Yu Gi Oh you're completely right, but in Pokemon it is different. Characters could leave a lasting impression if each one implemented a different kind of growth. Be it a shy trainer into a confident one, a brash trainer learning with time to think things through. The possibilities are too many.

About the YGO comparison, just talking about doing new characters that can develop and interact with the Pokemon world without needing to change an already existing one, causing discontent among fans. No need to mess with timelines and worlds like that. Pokemon already assumes from the games that everything is connected.

Ash is a pillar of the Pokemon Franchise, but they could do it like in adventures that the character pop ups from time to time with new Pokemon or evolutions.

About the risk of characters being bland, that depends on the work the writers put. I work in this particular department and I'm telling you, creating characters is annoying as hell because you run the risk of making them too bland, too gary/mary stu or simply secondary to other character. It just depends on the one they place in charge of creating them. YGO has the problem of making them too extravagant to fit the 'character type' they want. And that sells for the franchise I guess.

Pokemon Origins had the problem of being a series of OVA that simply did not let the character develop at an even pace, but it actually follows the basis for every generic shounen character. Starting weak, not knowing what to do, learning and eventually triumphing over everyone. The problem is that it becomes too evident with the runtime being so little. That it was used to promote GEN VI is the main problem, but i'm getting out of track here.

Comparing Ash to Goku is your worst bet actually. There is no more hated character than Goku for being so predictable. That they keep squeezing the series with repetitive stories proves that Dragon Ball needs a change. In DBZ the point where things could have gone a different route would have been to keep Goku dead and Gohan as a main character. Toriyama caved in when people wanted Goku and simply condemned the series. In that sense, Pokemon became too repetitive and the writers tried to make a big change with the animation and the tone of the series. As they changed Ash for that, people revolted. It's actually very simple to see that, even if in Japan people like the series way more than the previous ones, but i'm talking for occidental audiences.

Pokemon needs a change in their paradigms because people will lose interest.