• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan Presents the Alola Pokémon League

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Why yes, I do.

Unless you believe it's been more than 365 days, which means it's a year, which means he should be 11, which he isn't, which means it hasn't been a year in there yet, which means 50 days it's actually an hour there.
Huh. First time I've heard someone attempting to explain an floating timeline that doesn't result in Ash dreaming or being dead.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Huh. First time I've heard someone attempting to explain an floating timeline that doesn't result in Ash dreaming or being dead.
Makes more sense he's in a coma since Pikachu first struck him, but that's something for another day...second.

Anyhow, I'm betting Gladion and Guzma are Ash's biggest league obstacles, if Guzma is truly participating in there. The G Squad is the real threat.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
If the anime is anything like the games, then Ash has been on a journey for all of 3 months tops... unless he's a speed runner, then its probably only been a day or two. He's pretty lucky to not be Nuzlocking however

JC317

Ash started his journey on October 10th of his tenth year, and his birthday might be August 28, name as his namesake, Satoshi Tajiri

And he's been through seven regions before hitting August of the following year

I assume you're talking about Shudo's novelization, in which case he actually said Ash started his journey when he was exactly 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days old.

So yea, Ash's entire journey, up to the first episode of BW at least, took him less than 51 days.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I assume you're talking about Shudo's novelization, in which case he actually said Ash started his journey when he was exactly 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days old.

So yea, Ash's entire journey, up to the first episode of BW at least, took him less than 51 days.
Who’s to say a Pokemon year is exactly 365 days like ours? They may define years differently in-universe given they clearly don’t have the same requisite of how adults and children are defined, the Dex is even considered an “ID.”

JC317

Who’s to say a Pokemon year is exactly 365 days like ours? They may define years differently in-universe given they clearly don’t have the same requisite of how adults and children are defined, the Dex is even considered an “ID.”

While I'm not exactly sure why the Pokedex being considered a form of ID would be an argument for why a year in the world of Pokemon anime would be of different length, I do get your point as to how a year might be defined differently.

Thankfully, there is evidence in the Pokemon ankme that indirectly prove the passage of time in units of years. One common example is that the Goldenrod City Magnet Train which, in EP158, would not be open for services for at least a year. Iris and Cilan took a magnet train to Goldenrod City in BW141, which would imply at least a year has passed between those two episodes. Another example is the Wallace Cup, which was stated to be an annual Pokemon contest. Ash and Dawn first competed in the Wallace Cup in DP077, while Dawn said she will be heading to Johto to compete in the next Wallace Cup that was about to begin in BW093, which would imply almost a year has passed between those two episodes.

Of course, you could argue that the magnet train Iris and Cilan took might not the same one that needed another year to open services, and that almost a year between the two Wallace Cups is still not a year, but at that point you're just nitpicking.

As such, your argument here should be that 'age' is defined differently in the Pokemon anime. It doesn't matter how much time has passed in the Pokemon anime, Ash is still considered 10 due to some reason.

Kintaro

Banned
Given all the hype Lana is getting I think she will make it to Top 8 at least. Can't see her making Top 4 because you have Gladion, Hau, Guzma and Llima there along with Ash, who will all likely be some of the last opponents of the league.

Honestly I think this league will be a slaughter for the SM classmates. Besides Kiawe and Lana, all the other opponents are just way too experienced, and they have to have someone lose the earlier rounds. Watching all the SM classmates bomb their first league battle besides maybe Kiawe/Lana will be something. I hope people don't get too disappointed when/if Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles all lose their first battle.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Given all the hype Lana is getting I think she will make it to Top 8 at least. Can't see her making Top 4 because you have Gladion, Hau, Guzma and Llima there along with Ash, who will all likely be some of the last opponents of the league.

Honestly I think this league will be a slaughter for the SM classmates. Besides Kiawe and Lana, all the other opponents are just way too experienced, and they have to have someone lose the earlier rounds. Watching all the SM classmates bomb their first league battle besides maybe Kiawe/Lana will be something. I hope people don't get too disappointed when/if Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles all lose their first battle.

Most of them will probably win at least one battle.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Ash started his journey on October 10th of his tenth year,

It'd be very nice if people could stop parroting this mistranslation. The novel never said that, and it's not canon to the anime anyway, so even if it had, it wouldn't matter.

It's been explicitly stated multiple times in the anime that he started his journey on his 10th birthday.

p96822

Evolve me please
It'd be very nice if people could stop parroting this mistranslation. The novel never said that, and it's not canon to the anime anyway, so even if it had, it wouldn't matter.

It's been explicitly stated multiple times in the anime that he started his journey on his 10th birthday.

I though that what it said in the Novel? I though Ash was born in May?

JC317

Except that was only explicitly stated in M20, which was set in an alternate universe. So no, he did not start his journey on his 10th birthday in the anime. In the original Japanese dub, he said that he was 10 and could become a Pokemon trainer, but he never said he turned 10 that day. The narrator also simply said that Ash was 10 that year, and that he could receive a Pokemon from Professor Oak.

https://pokemonthenovel.dreamwidth.org/1173.html

In the novels, Ash's mum specifically said "I can recall all the past ten years with Satoshi, ten years, ten months and ten days..." So even though the anime has basically retconned all of Shudo's original canon, that was his original setting for Ash, which was the point of my original post.

If you disagree, perhaps you can go there and leave a comment saying how the translators got it wrong? You can also go to Bulbapedia and correct them as well, seeing as how they mentioned the same detail in the trivia section. That would be very nice of you.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I though that what it said in the Novel? I though Ash was born in May?

No, both are just things people repeat because they see other people repeat it. I went into detail about what the novel ACTUALLY says here.

Except that was only explicitly stated in M20, which was set in an alternate universe. So no, he did not start his journey on his 10th birthday in the anime. In the original Japanese dub, he said that he was 10 and could become a Pokemon trainer, but he never said he turned 10 that day. The narrator also simply said that Ash was 10 that year, and that he could receive a Pokemon from Professor Oak.

See the link above. Road to Kalos specifically says he started his journey on his birthday, and it's been mentioned various other places as well. And it's definitely never been stated he DIDN'T start his journey on his birthday.

In the novels, Ash's mum specifically said "I can recall all the past ten years with Satoshi, ten years, ten months and ten days..." So even though the anime has basically retconned all of Shudo's original canon, that was his original setting for Ash, which was the point of my original post.

The above link explains what that line means.

And again, those novels are not some sort of "documentation of the original canon" or whatever the Internet has managed to misinterpret it as, it's a novelization of the anime by Shudo that reimagines the universe and does a ton of things differently, just like the various manga adaptations do. It's meant to be a reimagining, not some sort of databook to be mined for stuff not stated in the anime.

Bulbapedia and fan wikis in general say a lot of things. You can go correct them yourself if you care about making it less erroneous.

Last edited:

https://pokemonthenovel.dreamwidth.org/1173.html

If you disagree, perhaps you can go there and leave a comment saying how the translators got it wrong? You can also go to Bulbapedia and correct them as well, seeing as how they mentioned the same detail in the trivia section. That would be very nice of you.
You're arguing with Dephender about translation? Good luck.

JC317

You're arguing with Dephender about translation? Good luck.

Yea... Not a great idea on my part, but I still think Dephender should sticky that post somewhere so that people can see it. When Bulbapedia, one of the go-to sites for people looking for Pokemon info lists that translation as trivia, people are bound to get Ash's age wrong. Not to mention MatPat from Game Theory has a video with 6.1 million views where he tells the world that Ash's birthday is on May 22.