• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan Presents the Alola Pokémon League

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The bearded guy from Johto?

The Shudo era made sense. Not after that. Because of that, we don't know for sure if they still eat Magikarp fish meat.
Goodshow is from Kanto. Also, the Shudo era planned to end with a Pokemon revolution, so it's for the best that didn't happen.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’ve accepted nothing will ever top Sinnoh as being the best League so I honestly have no expectations for any League since BW.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I love Pokemon Fan’s description for Suiren, my girl is gonna slay also nice to have confirmation Shaymin is Mao’s Pokemon in every way but having a ball. Basically her Togepi, I don’t particularly recall if Kibago even had a ball either? But it listened to everything Iris said. I was getting worried given how she didn’t use it to fight against TR alongside Meltan and Nagisa.

Looks good, like a 1:1 rendition of true Alolan a game league. Hoping we get some extras like the pancake girl and her Raichu.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
There’s no higher up that controls how leagues should be done, yeah. Otherwise there would have been gyms way back in Kiawe’s grandfather’s days in Alola!

I never said that they had to have gyms, the island trials are essentially the "Gyms" of alola, but Kakui is basically forsaking alola's traditions (in which people needed to clear the island trials and battle atop the ice mountain) because of his self craving to have a league is dumb, and the lack of qualification to enter this is a joke, and imo an affront to all previous leagues. Heck when a filler league has better standards than a regional league you know something is wrong.

Mr. Goodshow appeared in the Hoenn and Sinnoh leagues too. The DP league was the last one he appeared for.

he's probably just in charge of the four japan regions (Kanto, Jouto, Hoenn and Sinnoh)

I suspect there is some form of high command though, given the notion of a champions league which was mentioned in both sinnoh and unnova.

Theoretically Lance could go to Alola and have a say about the League as a G-Man but he'd come off as a hypocrite considering he didn't bother to show up in Kalos, Unova or Sinnoh when evil teams attacked.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
I am getting a feeling this league would be very underwhelming.

All the trainers are going to get a Z-ring, maybe owning a Z-ring is qualifying criteria!?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
^Well yes, we will likely have a post-league mini-arc that will be the actual end of this series. So this likely won't be the series climax.

As for Z-rings, it is because they want to use the league as a means of debuting remaining Z-moves, something we suspected will happen since the start of the series.

Kintaro

Banned
With powerful trainers like Guzma, Illma, Gladion, Hau and likely Kukui entering....how on earth do the SM classmates even stand a chance?

Kiawe and Lana are the only remotely battle oriented ones, but even then they would be utterly destroyed against Guzma, Kukui, and probably Gladion and Hau. Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles especially should all be wiped out early on. I don't get how this is going to work when the power gap between the SM classmates and the other characters is too great.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
We will likely have Lusamine and the Island Kahunas be the judges of the League right?

The magazine mentioned Ilima, Guzma, Hau, and Gladion.

Now what about Kukui (as Masked Royal), Molayne, Kahili, Acerola, Mina, Ryuki?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
With powerful trainers like Guzma, Illma, Gladion, Hau and likely Kukui entering....how on earth do the SM classmates even stand a chance?

Kiawe and Lana are the only remotely battle oriented ones, but even then they would be utterly destroyed against Guzma, Kukui, and probably Gladion and Hau. Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles especially should all be wiped out early on. I don't get how this is going to work when the power gap between the SM classmates and the other characters is too great.
Because powerscaling is pointless, if you were a member of the Dragon Ball fandom you would know that when a show has progressed for years on end that power levels become irrelevant. This is nothing new for Pokemon anime. Kengo’s freshly gotten Pottaishi made Pikachu struggle during DP and was able to repel a Thunderbolt despite him being a new Coordinator and trainer. Citron’s freshly caught Horubee matched Pikachu in its first real trainer battle in XY. Hikari’s Hinoarashi came out of its egg evenly fighting against and beating an evolved Water-type and Chikorita alongside Moukazaru in DP. Serena’s never battle active Tairenar fought with an Erlade and learned Fire Blast on the spot. Never mind half of Satoshi’s egg Pokemon coming out of the womb on level with his regular team. His Chikorita whooped Fushingdane during a battle and threw Lizardon off guard. The takeaway here? Powerscaling is crap and characters new and old will always be made on level to keep up with others for plot convenience and proper stacks and drama.

You are going to blow a blood vessel crapping your pants over power levels. It’s Pokemon, it’s a kodomo anime, stop watching it like an over analyzing adult who’s jaded from tracking it over the course of two decades and watch it like an excited kid ready to see Pikachu Iron Tail something over the head. It’s also painfully obvious this is an adaptation of the Alola League from ingame where you fight the Trial Captains from time to time. I don’t understand how y’all miss that, you don’t need to have participated in trials to fight it. Kukui’s doing it out of his own pride for Alola hence why Alolan citizens are fighting, not Badge-collecting athletes.

Last edited:

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Because powerscaling is pointless, if you were a member of the Dragon Ball fandom you would know that when a show has progressed for years on end that power levels become irrelevant. This is nothing new for Pokemon anime. Kengo’s freshly gotten Pottaishi made Pikachu struggle during DP and was able to repel a Thunderbolt despite him being a new Coordinator and trainer. Citron’s freshly caught Horubee matched Pikachu in its first real trainer battle in XY. Hinoarashi caught out of its egg evenly fighting against and beating an evolved Water-type and Chikorita alongside Moukazaru in DP. Serena’s never battle active Tairenar fought with an Erlade and learned Fire Blast. Never mind half of Satoshi’s egg Pokemon coming out of the womb on level with his regular team. The takeaway here? Powerscaling is crap and characters new and old will always be made on level to keep up with others for plot convenience and proper stacks and drama.

You are going to blow a blood vessel crapping your pants over power levels. It’s Pokemon, it’s a kodomo anime, stop watching it like an over analyzing adult who’s jaded from tracking it over the course of two decades and watch it like an excited kid ready to see Pikachu Iron Tail a something over the head. It’s also painfully obvious this is an adaptation of the Alola League from ingame where you fight the Trial Captains from time to time. I don’t understand how y’all miss that, you don’t need to have participated in trials to fight it. Kukui’s doing it out of his own pride for Alola.

You could've been a bit less aggressive...but that being said, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
You could've been a bit less aggressive...but that being said, I agree with pretty much everything you said.
Didn’t mean to come off as so fierce but honestly I thought we accepted power levels were garbage when Alan got all of his badges in like a week on top of new trainer, Shota getting to Top 4 at his first league even though he threw a Dragon-type up against an ace Fairy-type Pokemon belonging to a gym leader in it first appearance halfway through XY. Fans need to realize and accept Pokemon anime is a kids show made for marketing.

Fun and Interesting Stories > Power Level Consistency

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Didn’t mean to come off as so fierce but honestly I thought we accepted power levels were garbage when Alan got all of his badges in like a week on top of new trainer, Shota getting to Top 4 at his first league even though he threw a Dragon-type up against an ace Fairy-type Pokemon belonging to a gym leader in it first appearance halfway through XY. Fans need to realize and accept Pokemon anime is a kids show made for marketing.

To be fair, Alain could have possibly flown on his Charizard to get to those places faster and it’s not like the first six gyms (and Wulfric I guess) would have been much of a challenge for him considering his OP zard. =p

(Admittedly it would have been more weird if the requirements were to get all four grand trials completed and a bunch of people already started to complete those with a couple weeks so tbh I’m fine with the approach that they’re going for here)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
To be fair, Alain could have possibly flown on his Charizard to get to those places faster and it’s not like the first six gyms (and Wulfric I guess) would have been much of a challenge for him considering his OP zard. =p

(Admittedly it would have been more weird if the requirements were to get all four grand trials completed and a bunch of people already started to complete those with a couple weeks so tbh I’m fine with the approach that they’re going for here)
It will never not be funny to me he spent the whole series training a team and getting badges and a guy who didn’t even care about the league who did it out of sheer boredom swept a bunch of leaders in a week and wiped him out the league while winning the whole thing. :S

I think that should say something about Pokemon anime and Satoshi’s story’s chances of a wrap-up. Might as well have fun if this show isn’t ending and actually try new things which is why I love how S&M is allowing companions to compete in the league alongside him. Who wouldn’t have loved to see Haruka, Iris or Citron fight in a league in previous series?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So, 1. Kukui is not participating? He's just hosting?
2. No, TR? I kinda think that they won't participate and they will find selling merch and donuts more productive.
3.And Island Kahunas won't participate? Maybe they will be judges or something(watching battles).

Anyway, so no 6 vs 6, I think 3 vs 3 will be highest, no reserves( the most disappointing thing).As expected this "league" is on same level as other leagues more like Orange League or Junior Cup.IMO, I think this league will be close to Kanto league ( aka the worst "league", not counting Orange League), Orange League is the worst, though. I think there will be 32 or 64 people. I think first 1 or two will be 1 on 1 battles. Second one or two will be double battles( Meltan and Rowlet) and remaining battles will be 3 on 3. I also called that Meltan won't evolve in the league/before the league( maybe he will after the league for goodbye or something). No Poipole returning.No Torracat evolving( shame).I think Ash should win because he won Orange league( not important league as other leagues). I think Ash should battle Ilima, Kiawe, Gladion and Guzma.Also, when it's happening? I'd say in June/July.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Because powerscaling is pointless,
False. Powerscaling is simply an estimate based on how characters compare to other characters via some metric (sometime said metric doesn’t even have to be fight based). Having a sense of the relative competency of various characters (with respect to whatever field the show is about) is needed in order to feel any tension when a competition (e.g. Pokémon battles in pokémon) is occuring.

if you were a member of the Dragon Ball fandom you would know that when a show has progressed for years on end that power levels become irrelevant.
Nah powerscaling was actually very consistent throughout Dragonball and DBZ; the major issue in DBZ was power creep which is a separate matter entirely. Super completely screwed up power scaling which is 1 reason (amongst many others) why it’s an atrocious series.

This is nothing new for Pokemon anime. Kengo’s freshly gotten Pottaishi made Pikachu struggle during DP and was able to repel a Thunderbolt despite him being a new Coordinator and trainer. Citron’s freshly caught Horubee matched Pikachu in its first real trainer battle in XY.
Any examples with Pikachu are inadmissible since Pikachu has a long documented history of inconsistency since even back in OS (e.g. struggling with a noob’s Chikorita after beating an OP 10 move Dragonite) a.k.a he is consistently inconsistent. It’s done in order to not have Pikachu be in legend slayer mode all the time (as he rightfully should be post-BF), so that most non-climactic battles have more tension in them. Frankly I do consider it to be horrendous writing though I do have a work around for it which I call the Peakeachu progression model. Essentially with this model if you take his best feat in each region (barring Unova since that was a regression for Ash as well and a butchering of the whole series in general), you will see that Pikachu constantly 1 ups himself. In a way you could think of these as ‘peak’ feats where the writers drop all the plot limitations and let Pikachu fight at his absolute best as of that point in time. Regardless the main point is that Pikachu cannot be used as an example to claim that every pokémon in the anime is inconsistent in terms of battle viability (it would be a fallacy of composition to do so).

Hikari’s Hinoarashi came out of its egg evenly fighting against and beating an evolved Water-type and Chikorita alongside Moukazaru in DP.
Different pokémon have different innate ‘stats’ as well as different growth rates of said ‘stats’. This example doesn’t showcase any strength inconsistencies.

Serena’s never battle active Tairenar fought with an Erlade and learned Fire Blast on the spot.
This also has nothing to do with strength inconsistency though I don’t mind addressing it since there’s actually an easy way to explain this. In the Pokémon games a pokémon only gains exp when it KOs another pokémon; however, in the anime a pokémon gains experience every time it interacts in battles a.k.a every time it uses a move, or every time it moves including dodging foe attacks, or even every time it takes damage. In a sense this is far more realistic since ‘battling experience’ should be gained every time you battle irrespective of the result. Also Pokémon in the anime have never had the standard learnset of pokémon in the games and it’s likely that the learnset for each pokémon of the same species varies via factors like their genes.

Never mind half of Satoshi’s egg Pokemon coming out of the womb on level with his regular team.
Literally who? Scraggy was a freakin rival to Axew for crying out loud. Noibat most certainly wasn’t on par with the rest of Ash’s team. Even Phanpy didn’t do anything notable (compared to Ashs’s other pokémon) immediately after it hatched and it’s league performance was mediocre at best.

His Chikorita whooped Fushingdane during a battle and threw Lizardon off guard.
Charizard was being way too complacent cuz he didn’t think much of Chikorita which made him lower his guard (not like he fainted anyways). Bulbasaur... yup that’s an inconsistency (congratulations you have 1 good example) though you can just chuck it as an outlier that Bulbasaur was having a bad day and regardless Bulbasaur’s main feats are in the Johto League and Battle Frontier after he became the sheriff at Oak’s Lab, and he’s shown no inconsistency since then.

The takeaway here? Powerscaling is crap
Nope the takeway is that you’re overgeneralizing that power-scaling is never reliable even though inconsistencies (not including Ash’s Pikachu) are an extreme minority a.k.a the vast majority of the time power-scaling can give us a reasonable indicator of how competent 1 pokémon is relative to another. I made a tier list regarding Ash’s pokémon that I’ve refined throughout the years and most over here tend to agree with it with there being at most a 1 or 2 sub-letter grade worth of disagreement in some cases. It’s in my sig; I can justify in detail why every pokémon in that list is placed where they are via powerscaling (or rather battle viability scaling) which, if powerscaling truly were ‘crap’, I shouldn’t be able to do for the majority of the pokémon in this list.

and characters new and old will always be made on level to keep up with others for plot convenience and proper stacks and drama.
What you’re describing are plot contrivances which while a major problem with the anime (in particular series like BW and SM) is not the same thing as a power scaling inconsistency. For example let’s say Mallow’s Shaymin proves to be very powerful due to being a legendary; yes it’s a huge plot contrivance that Mallow would get such a massive power up despite not proving herself to have earned or be worthy of such power though there’s no inconsistency. An inconsistency would be if Shaymin were to sweep a trainer 6-0 and then job out to an equally strong trainer without taking out a single pokémon.

You are going to blow a blood vessel crapping your pants over power levels.
Didn’t know you were an expert on human anatomy.

It’s Pokemon, it’s a kodomo anime,
Actually Pokémon has always been a family show. It is kid friendly and does have a large kid demographic but it was never meant to be exclusively aimed at kids (Dephender himself confirmed this fyi).

stop watching it like an over analyzing adult who’s jaded from tracking it over the course of two decades and watch it like an excited kid ready to see Pikachu Iron Tail something over the head.
So what you’re saying is ‘turn-your brain-off’ because we shouldn’t expect much in terms of writing quality from this sort of show? Frankly even if Pokémon were exclusively aimed at children, I think that’s an abhorrent excuse for justifying subpar to at times even atrocious writing standards (cough* BW and SM cough*).

It’s also painfully obvious this is an adaptation of the Alola League from ingame where you fight the Trial Captains from time to time.
Except Mallow and Sophocles haven’t done jack to make us think that they should be on par with their game selves in terms of competency, and even with Lana it’d be an extreme stretch to say she can stand with her in-game self. The only remotely credible person in the main companion cast is Kiawe since we know that he’s at least done some of the island challenge.

I don’t understand how y’all miss that, you don’t need to have participated in trials to fight it. Kukui’s doing it out of his own pride for Alola hence why Alolan citizens are fighting, not Badge-collecting athletes.
Okay, but then you would have to concede that the Alola league does not have equal status with any of the other leagues. Heck it’d even be lower than the Orange League and Battle Frontier since at least the latter 2 had standards.

On a final note do you even understand why badge collecting is required for other leagues? GYM leaders in a given region are accredited by their respective pokémon leagues a.k.a each of them meet certain minimum standards of quality. By extension every league trainer also meet certain minimum quality standards (likely much higher) since each of them had to beat at least 8 of the GYM leaders in the region to make it to the league conference. Again by extension this guarantees that winning or even placing well in such a tournament is a credible feat since it requires that you beat other trainers with these assured minimum quality bounds. With this in mind winning or doing well in the Alola league has all of zero credibility attached to it since as stated there are no standards for who can and can’t participate.

If you’re cool with turning your brain-off and enjoying the current pokémon anime for what it is inspite of it’s numerous flaws, then more power to you, but please don’t expect anyone else to feel obligated to take the same stance that you do.

EDIT:

Alain literally beat a member of the Elite 4 who have consistently been portrayed as far stronger than most normal trainers, so actually him collecting badges relatively quickly and steamrolling through most of the league is exactly what 1 would expect given his previous accomplishments. Also it’s implied that there’s a timeskip between XYZ 29 and XYZ 30 since since Snowbelle and north of Lumiose aren’t exactly close geographically. As for Swayer yes his rapid power progression is contrived but again it doesn’t yield an inconsistency. Also it’s still a million times better than the contrivances Ash’s classmates are getting. Also the using Dragon on Fairy example only works if he had previously proven he was comeptent which at that point he most certainly didn’t. For example if he had made that mistake after placing top 4, then you would have had a point.

More like Fun and interesting stories with power scaling consistency > crappy and incoherent stories with power scaling inconsistencies.

Last edited: