• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan Presents the Alola Pokémon League

D

Deleted member 384931

Funnily, we have had very few 6 vs 6 battles in the whole Anime.
League-wise, only Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos only had full 6 v 6 battles.
Story-wise, its been even fewer (only remember the ones that occurred during Sinnoh).
Yeah. Why would they show a video with rivals that used 6 pokemon? To rub salt into the wound?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I don't think the lack of 6v6es is in and of itself a problem. Just thinking back to the last League... Can anyone really say that they remember the finale for, I dunno, Luchabull VS Manyula? Most of the matchups throughout those 6v6 battles almost feel like just padding while we wait for the final 1v1 matchup that we're all there to see in the first place. I feel about the only way to get around that is if literally every Pokémon on both sides has been clearly established ahead of time and have interesting dynamics with the opponent they're facing which... I feel like at most you might be able to do that for one or two trainers. In the entire series. At the moment I guess the one that's closest to reaching this status in Alola would be Gladio, with his four Pokémon who have all been given at least some level of characterization, backstory, and some of whom have a dynamic with Satoshi's team... But even then, the battle between the two would likely just wind up being either a 3v3 or a 4v4 with largely irrelevant matchups for most of it culminating in another Midnight Lugarugan VS Dusk Lugarugan showdown. That is the rivalry we'd want to see resolved here, and while his other teammates do all have at least some character, the other matchups leading up to that final 1v1 could be literally anything. (Well, I guess Pikachu VS Silvuddy would also make sense as an "Ace VS Ace" kind of showdown.)

DatsRight

I wonder if they might compensate with variety in match types. The first round already is a battle royale. Maybe the second could be a double battle to make use of the lower tier characters who only have two Pokemon (a lot of them could make up for their lower experience with good combinations). The third could be 3v3 or even a triple battle, while the final round before Masked Royal can use whatever total the finalists have (hopefully someone else has five so Ash can get a full team demonstration, though they could hold out Torracat for that last prize battle I suppose).

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Or a pyramid.

Round 1: 1x150 royale
Round 2: 2x2 doubles
Round 3: 3x3 singles
Round 4: 6x6 singles

Ash's Rowlet seems to specialize in doubles; he's participated in every double battle Ash has had in Alola, and has partnered with each of Ash's other Pokemon:

v. Totem Gumshoos/Yungoos (with Pikachu)
v. Totem Lurantis/Castform (with Litten)
v. Olivia's Lycanroc/Probopass (with Rockruff)
v. Ryuki's Druddigon/Zweilous (with Meltan)

This isn't a coincidence. I hope Rowlet gets another double battle with the 6th member of Ash's team.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Or a pyramid.

Round 1: 1x150 royale
Round 2: 2x2 doubles
Round 3: 3x3 singles
Round 4: 6x6 singles

Ash's Rowlet seems to specialize in doubles; he's participated in every double battle Ash has had in Alola, and has partnered with each of Ash's other Pokemon:

v. Totem Gumshoos/Yungoos (with Pikachu)
v. Totem Lurantis/Castform (with Litten)
v. Olivia's Lycanroc/Probopass (with Rockruff)
v. Ryuki's Druddigon/Zweilous (with Meltan)

This isn't a coincidence. I hope Rowlet gets another double battle with the 6th member of Ash's team.
There is no 6th member of Ash's team.

Swift4Sweeper

Author Trainer

Dream Lad

Banned
I don't think the lack of 6v6es is in and of itself a problem. Just thinking back to the last League... Can anyone really say that they remember the finale for, I dunno, Luchabull VS Manyula? Most of the matchups throughout those 6v6 battles almost feel like just padding while we wait for the final 1v1 matchup that we're all there to see in the first place. I feel about the only way to get around that is if literally every Pokémon on both sides has been clearly established ahead of time and have interesting dynamics with the opponent they're facing which...

I felt the Hoenn League did it right. Even if the full battles flew by, there were so many battles jam packed into that league that almost every Pokemon had a good moment. Ash vs Paul at the league was also good among many reasons because it was truly a team effort to break through Paul's strategies. I also liked Ash vs Sawyer at the league because it felt every match-up was a counter/equal challenge to each member of Ash's team.

I feel like at most you might be able to do that for one or two trainers. In the entire series. At the moment I guess the one that's closest to reaching this status in Alola would be Gladio, with his four Pokémon who have all been given at least some level of characterization, backstory, and some of whom have a dynamic with Satoshi's team... But even then, the battle between the two would likely just wind up being either a 3v3 or a 4v4 with largely irrelevant matchups for most of it culminating in another Midnight Lugarugan VS Dusk Lugarugan showdown. That is the rivalry we'd want to see resolved here, and while his other teammates do all have at least some character, the other matchups leading up to that final 1v1 could be literally anything. (Well, I guess Pikachu VS Silvuddy would also make sense as an "Ace VS Ace" kind of showdown.)

I think Silvally vs possible Melmetal would be hype as a 'legendary vs legendary' battle, though agreed that Pikachu taking down a Silvally would be cool.

Epicocity

Funnily, we have had very few 6 vs 6 battles in the whole Anime.
League-wise, only Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos only had full 6 v 6 battles.
Story-wise, its been even fewer (only remember the ones that occurred during Sinnoh).
Technically speaking, Kanto and Unova did have full 6v6 battles. Ash was just booted before reaching that round in Kanto and his opponent in Unova, as we all know, brought only 5 to what was supposed to be a 6v6. This may very well be the only League to completely lack any form of a 6v6 at this point.

There's too much contrasting with this League compared to the others, though, that makes the lack of a 6v6 egregious. After all, the most different one is Hoenn, which had double battles going straight to a 6v6. Every other League had, at worst, a 1v1 qualifying round before starting with 3v3 at the Top 64 until the 6v6 battles began. The Alola League is looking like 1v1s until the later rounds that will finally be 3v3s.

Even in-universe, there's something iffy about that, since how can Ash definitively claim to win a League if it's not even with the type of battle that tests your endurance as a trainer?

Red and Blue

Since the scan mentioned that Illima, Hau, Gladion, and Guzma were the trainers to focus on I think it's safe to assume those four will be Ash's opponents after the Battle Royal

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Did they take down the video hyping the league?? I can’t find it anywhere and that video isn’t working for me.

For this league as others have said, I could see less skilled trainers getting lucky in 151 to just help propel the other classmates up the main tournament lines

Dephender was adding a VA list and summary which he does every Saturday
Only so out of the graciousness of his heart though as I don’t think it’s fair to expect it always.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The montage was sweet, but if this is league that Ash wins and they make it seem tantamount to winning the gym-qualifying leagues, I'll be just a little bit salty it didn't happen in DP.

If Big Jon Dickson from Sento Cherry Town or the legendary Tobias don't get shown, then that Gary Stu shouldn't even be thought of.

I don't know why people were so confident back then that Ash would win the Kalos League. He had never reached the finals before (every further round he has progressed, he ended up losing). He didn't bring his reserves/have his best team. His opponent happened to be the deuteragonist. The league was rushed and ended up being a secondary plot to the Team Flare shenanigans afterwards.
We did see sceptile beating darkrai.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Did they take down the video hyping the league?? I can’t find it anywhere and that video isn’t working for me.

For this league as others have said, I could see less skilled trainers getting lucky in 151 to just help propel the other classmates up the main tournament lines

Only so out of the graciousness of his heart though as I don’t think it’s fair to expect it always.
I mean as far as I know he’s always done it. I don’t expect anything from him I just know it’s tradition

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I think there will be a 6v6 battle of some sort in the Alola League. The video did show all of Ash’s Pokémon participating in the League. It would be nice to see Poipole return to add in the 6th slot or an older Pokémon. Meltan feel a bit out of place in my opinion. It barely battled, hasn’t been shown to defend itself very well or endure powerful hits, and the only strong move it has is it’s Solar Beam(?) (I don’t know the exact move.) It barely interacts with anyone besides Rowlet whom is used as a clutch to have it move around. But hey, this might be Mr. Big... er, Small and Reliable 2.0.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think there will be a 6v6 battle of some sort in the Alola League. The video did show all of Ash’s Pokémon participating in the League. It would be nice to see Poipole return to add in the 6th slot or an older Pokémon. Meltan feel a bit out of place in my opinion. It barely battled, hasn’t been shown to defend itself very well or endure powerful hits, and the only strong move it has is it’s Solar Beam(?) (I don’t know the exact move.) It barely interacts with anyone besides Rowlet whom is used as a clutch to have it move around. But hey, this might be Mr. Big... er, Small and Reliable 2.0.
It’s Flash Cannon but I kind of agree with you on Meltan seeming out of place

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It'll probably evolve during the traditional "break during the League" episode. It can't exactly evolve mid-battle with how it evolves.

Reactions: i2i