• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fan Presents the Alola Pokémon League

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
Gosh Jessie making it far in the league would make me laugh, but it would also make me admire the writing staff for their nerve to actually give a long standing villain character that kind of honor.

The fact that she even made it into the Top 16 with Kojirou is monumental since the Rocket-dan had never competed in a Pokemon League before. The only thing that I dislike about their participation is that Musashi only has two Pokemon while Kojirou only has one. It puts Kojirou at a disadvantage since he can only rely on Hidoide while Musashi can choose whether to use Sonansu or Mimikkyu depending on the situation she faces.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The fact that she even made it into the Top 16 with Kojirou is monumental since the Rocket-dan had never competed in a Pokemon League before. The only thing that I dislike about their participation is that Musashi only has two Pokemon while Kojirou only has one. It puts Kojirou at a disadvantage since he can only rely on Hidoide while Musashi can choose whether to use Sonansu or Mimikkyu depending on the situation she faces.
Musashi made it to the Top 4 at the Sinnoh Grand Festival after spending her career cheating at Contest or being given freebie ribbons by Kojirou and Princess Salvia.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Team Rocket getting far isn't a surprise, they've long been established to succeed when they aren't cheating
Which they aren't.
We didn't see James battle a thing, but Mimikyu was absolutely cleaning house going after all the Pikachu

Them getting far was honestly believable, unlike the girls. Who all should have bitten it during the Royale half.

nickdt

Top 16 and top 8 1v1. Top 4 and final - 3v3. This eliminates problems, because then you can eliminate every trainer that 2 Pokemon or less. Guzma can reveal his third in the top 4, alongside Ash, Gladion and Kiawe.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Them getting far was honestly believable, unlike the girls. Who all should have bitten it during the Royale half.

I think that of the three female classmates, Suiren making it past the Battle Royal was the most believable scenario since she's always seemed like the strongest of the three. But I do think that the writers were really pushing it when they had Lilie and Mao advance into the Top 16. They seem to want Satoshi and his friends to shine at this League while most of the minor characters get shafted, which is understandable but still depressing.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Lillie battling Gladion, as it should be.

At least Kiawe's gonna outlast her! :D
And the 'main' Pokegirl will go down in the same round as Mallow, nice. That's satisfactory news at least.
Bold of you to assume Lillie will lose.

DatsRight

They seem to be in the same stance as Serena in XY, where they don't like having the girls get roughed up onscreen or have their inexperience put on display, the girls remain complacent as battlers, only ever on the giving end, hence likely why they're all non-battlers these days. While Sophocles has at least got creamed the odd time and got one proper struggle to build up SOME sort of experience for the league, the girls pretty much are forbidden from being shown in any battle above a baddie curbstomp. It's especially annoying because the girls not really being battle experienced was about their one potential weakness (Mallow and Lana almost NEVER lost any group exercise), trying to play them off as badass anyway makes them look stupidly and undeservedly competent in too many fields.

Putting them in the league seems a really disastrous idea in that regard because they can't seriously sidle around them being plot armoured from any harm and only looking badass and dominant forever. What are they gonna do, have ALL of their battles offscreen? Have Gladion randomly pass out before he enters the arena to face Lillie?

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

They seem to be in the same stance as Serena in XY, where they don't like having the girls get roughed up onscreen or have their inexperience put on display, the girls remain complacent as battlers, only ever on the giving end, hence likely why they're all non-battlers these days. While Sophocles has at least got creamed the odd time and got one proper struggle to build up SOME sort of experience for the league, the girls pretty much are forbidden from being shown in any battle above a baddie curbstomp.

Putting them in the league seems a really disastrous idea in that regard because they can't seriously sidle around them being plot armoured from any harm and only looking badass and dominant forever. What are they gonna do, have ALL of their victories offscreen?

Except we already know that were going be seeing Mallow's battle against Lana, and will likely see Lillie's battle against Gladion and in both case two of the female companions are going to be losing. I mean did you just not pay attention to the actual league match ups and the preview for episode 130 or something.

DatsRight

Except we already know that were going be seeing Mallow's battle against Lana, and will likely see Lillie's battle against Gladion and in both case two of the female companions are going to be losing. S

I still think they'll pull something ridiculous off. Remember all of Serena's 'battles' against worthy opponents that didn't go anywhere or the Ash battle where she was randomly fluent. The girls just don't play 'losers' in battle anymore.

ShadowForce720

I still think they'll pull something ridiculous off. Remember all of Serena's 'battles' against worthy opponents that didn't go anywhere or the Ash battle where she was randomly fluent.

Dude we literally see Lana and Mallow battling each other in the preview for episode 130 and it's the main focus battle for episode 130. Look I can understand being upset without how the female companions are being handle however your just being ridiculous at this point in assuming that something just magically going to happen that will prevent them showing the Mallow or Lana losing.

Also may I remind you that Serena never participated in the Kalos League, in fact the only major competition that Serena was really in was the Master Showcase which the showcases didn't even include battles.

Not only that it's not like there was another female companion that was close in age to Serena that she could battle against, considering Bonnie was still too young to be a pokemon trainer. Where in this case we are literally going to be seeing Mallow battle Lana.

DatsRight

Dude we literally see Lana and Mallow battling each other in the preview for episode 130 and it's the main focus battle for episode 130. Look I can understand being upset without how the female companions are being handle however your just being ridiculous at this point in assuming that something just magically going to happen that will prevent them showing the Mallow or Lana losing.

They did nearly all their battling offscreen in the last episode, and some previous leagues had battles with small tasters and the rest of it offscreen. That preview doesn't ensure a full and decisive onscreen battle.

ShadowForce720

They did nearly all their battling offscreen in the last episode, and some previous leagues had battles with small tasters and the rest of it offscreen. That preview doesn't ensure a full and decisive onscreen battle.

Your just being ridiculous now, we literally see them battling in the preview and not only that it's the main focus of the episode which means that yes we are going to get a full onscreen battle otherwise there was no point even pairing them up against each other and having their battle be the main focus of the episode to begin with.

DatsRight

Your just being ridiculous now, we literally see them battling in the preview and not only that it's the main focus of the episode which means that yes we are going to get a full onscreen battle otherwise there was no point even pairing them up against each other and having their battle be the main focus of the episode to begin with.

You're using a title for assurance? How many titles in the show have copped out? We had at least three Serena episodes focused around her battling and a preview emphasising on that. Tell me, WHAT happened with them again?

Besides that they've also shoved in THREE other battles into the upcoming episode which leaves suspicion to how much screentime Mallow vs Lana will really get.

Even if we DO get a full battle, I feel they will cop out on their 'development' trying to make them look WAY more experienced and competent than they have earned.

(Seriously I think the anime is worryingly turning me into a sexist. :p I just HATE the current girls for systematically avoiding showing any fallible qualities.)

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

You're using a title for assurance? How many titles in the show have copped out? We had at least three Serena episodes focused around her battling and a preview emphasising on that. Tell me, WHAT happened with them again?

Besides that they've also shoved in THREE other battles into the upcoming episode which leaves suspicion to how much screentime Mallow vs Lana will really get.

Even if we DO get a full battle, I feel they will cop out on their 'development' trying to make them look WAY more experienced and competent than they have earned.

We literally see them battling in the preview. Also last time I check Serena didn't enter a battling competition outside of that one summer camp, and her main goal didn't really involve battling.

Where as in Mallow's and Lana's case while there main goal don't involve battling they are paired up against each other in a major competition that revolves around battling. Also it's not like there were any restrictions on who could enter the league, as just about anyone could enter the league regardless of what there battling skills are like, because that's what happens when you make it to where anyone can join as it will result in people of varying skills of battling joining in.

Also they are fighting each other, and so I'm not seeing how there going to look more experience and competent then they are when their opponent is roughly around the same skill level. Look at this it looks more like your just trying to make up excuses to discredit the battle because it goes against your whole argument that they won't show a main poke girl losing.

If they truly didn't want to show the battle off then they wouldn't have had Mallow and Lana get paired up against each other and would have just had them get paired up with characters like Acerola and Mina.

Let's not pretend like somehow the other 3 matches are going to take up the entirety of the episode, if anything at most we could get a case of the 3 matches prior to Mallow vs Lana taking up the first half of the episode while the 2nd half of the episode is entirely focused on Mallow vs Lana.

DatsRight

They don't have to be paired relatively to look more competent than they deserve. They already had Shaymin, who was scared stiff of battling Team Rocket, suddenly fighting with zero fear in the battle royal with no development whatsoever building up to that, jobber opponent or not, something was blatantly skipped there. All they have to do is make Mallow use a margin of tactics and they've already exaggerated things because she's barely learned how to even use basic commands.

The 'well they're not about battling anyway' excuse is moot when other characters' development IS, Ash and Kiawe EARNED their versatility as battlers, learning tactics and experience step by step, there was trial and error. It's the same as suddenly having Ash be a good cook (just tactically not directly shown as good a cook as Mallow so it's not TOO obvious) with no development since his rainbow coloured barf of a failure at the start of the series. It undermines an element that another character had to TRY for when another just suddenly gains a large chunk of that competence out of nowhere. It's even more annoying since battling was largely treated as the one thing Ash had while the girls aced everything else (I feel like some previous Ultra Legends episodes let Ash do well at a handful other things for once just so this didn't cause too bad an imbalance).

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

They don't have to be paired relatively to look more competent than they deserve. They already had Shaymin, who was scared stiff of battling Team Rocket, suddenly fighting with zero fear in the battle royal with no development whatsoever building up to that, jobber opponent or not, something was blatantly skipped there. All they have to do is make Mallow use a margin of tactics and they've already exaggerated things because she's barely learned how to even use basic commands.

The 'well they're not about battling anyway' excuse is moot when other characters' development IS, Ash and Kiawe EARNED their versatility as battlers, learning tactics and experience step by step, there was trial and error. It's the same as suddenly having Ash be a good cook (just tactically not directly shown as good a cook as Mallow so it's not TOO obvious) with no development since his rainbow coloured barf of a failure at the start of the series. It undermines an element that another character had to TRY for when another just suddenly gains a large chunk of that competence out of nowhere. It's even more annoying since battling was largely treated as the one thing Ash had while the girls aced everything else (I feel like a handful of previous episodes let Ash be good at something else for once just so this didn't cause too bad an imbalance).

Except being portrayed as having the same experience as Ash or Kiawe, just because they may do good in some battles doesn't mean their equal to Ash, Kiawe, Guzma, or Gladion in skill level. Your making some pretty big claims here and leaps in logic here, when there is nothing to suggest that they are the same skill level Ash, Kiawe, Guzma, or Galdion. The two having a good battle against each other doesn't mean that they are being more competent then they deserve.

And yes they have trained sure a lot of it may have been off-screen but at the end of the day no matter how much you dislike off-screen training and say that they should show not tell, the off-screen training still counts as training.

Also what does Ash, and Kiawe have to do with anything, the fact of the matter is that neither of those two are battling Mallow or Lana right now so it's not relevant how good they are because aren't the ones battling against Lana and Mallow, and regardless of how the battle between Mallow and Lana goes down does not mean they are some automatically equal in skill with Kiawe or Ash.

I mean to use your thing about Ash suddenly being a good as good cook as Mallow, right now what your trying to do would be like saying that just because suddenly Ash makes a meal that he and the other classmates like that it somehow means he's that he is as good as a cook as Mallow even though we don't actually get a solid comparison of how those two's cooking really stacks up against each other, as just because someone can make a meal that a couple people like doesn't mean there suddenly on the same level as a master chef or someone with more cooking experience, like wise when it comes to battling.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Except being portrayed as having the same experience as Ash or Kiawe, just because they may do good in some battles doesn't mean their equal to Ash, Kiawe, Guzma, or Gladion in skill level. Your making some pretty big claims here and leaps in logic here, when there is nothing to suggest that they are the same skill level Ash, Kiawe, Guzma, or Galdion. The two having a good battle against each other doesn't mean that they are being more competent then they deserve.
Adding to that, it sounds like since they’ve had few battles throughout the series means they shouldn’t be allowed to have any good ones at all. Despite the fact that they’ve been training since the Lusamine mission as well as Ultra Guardians.

On top of that Kaki and Satoshi have been overseeing their training with Satoshi trying to explain how Lillie should share her energy with Shiron for Subzero Slammer or Kaki watching over Mao and Amajo’s progesss, heck even Suiren working on Sparkling Aria to improve SeaGod Symphony. These kids were entrusted with saving the Alola Region and restoring the light for a reason. Suiren isn’t your run of the mill fisherman nor is Mao your basic chef. Plus the idea that female characters are shown as infallible when Suiren has a whole episode struggling with Super Aqua Tornado compared to Satoshi who got GigaVolt Havoc perfect from day one.

They aren’t super high level fighters but the classmates clearly have cared about battles since their class with Kasumi and Takeshi on battles and Lillie since her fight against James with Pikachu. That lead to the rescue mission for Lusamine, then becoming Ultra Guardians, they don’t mind standing up to Team Skull and Rocket compared to being more evasive in those early episodes. They take action in situations spontaneously, like Suiren and Kaki both attacking the Revengers when they were ganging up on Royal Mask. These girls weren’t super active high level fighters but they aren’t sitting ducks either.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
So what I’m wondering is if Lillie is going to realize that Gladion is a threat to her winning and at the last minute decide to evolve Snowy. That’s the only plausible way I see her winning this. Which would makes sense considering Fairy is stronger than Dark type Pokémon (Zoroark and Umbreon) or in the case of Sivally and Lycranroc at least she’ll have a fully evolved Pokémon fighting.

Part of me wonders if her heart is even fully into it. She's never really come off as being highly competitive to me, so I feel like she might not be taking the tournament as seriously as some of the other characters and that she's only participating because her friends are, not necessarily because she likes the thrill of battling.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Part of me wonders if her heart is even fully into it. She's never really come off as being highly competitive to me, so I feel like she might not be taking the tournament as seriously as some of the other characters and that she's only participating because her friends are, not necessarily because she likes the thrill of battling.
I never thought of that. I do feel however her entering the league is important for her overall arc of becoming a Pokémon trainer. I agree that she isn’t usually the first one to volunteer to battle but just recently she was eager to battle Gladion on Poni so maybe the writers are implying there’s a change in her and her interest.