• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fans 18+ from the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krissi69

The Force Is Strong
Well i,m 18 years old and i,m from Iceland here in Iceland they aired the first Pokemon season in 99 or 2000 and i fell in love Pokemon haha i even skipped football practice once a week to watch it and of course the cards god i have like 2000 cards but in 2 years it just died and after Kanto they stopped airing it ,but then 2 years ago my friend gave me the johto seasons and leafgreen game wich he won in America and i haven't put it down since i have seen every single episode in the anime and can't stop playing the games POKEMON4LIFE :D :D
Sorry my english isn't good

Maximinn

I'm 20 and got Red the year it came out. Played it for hours and hours and hours. So much so that I now associate any sprite from Red (and any sprite of Drowzee for some reason) with the smell of my Gameboy Color overheating. Everytime I see an old sprite (or a Drowzee) I smell that smell.

me too, i'm 18 right now and i have been a fan ever since it started. i had all the games... i just love the development they put in the game and the anime for the past years.

i have always completed my pokedex!!!

now, i'm on the verge of completing it without cheats... i just need mawile, lunatone and jirachi

BlazingTrainer

Hey, wow, twenty-five pages of comments from devoted fans young and old. This is quite the topic..lol. Keep em' coming folks! Anyone know their teams for soul silver yet?..let me know, i have at least one of each generation game..well, two of kanto ( Blue & Yellow).

No. 1 Machop Fan

I'm 18, and I actually started out hating Pokémon! Then I slowly became interested, mainly because of 3 Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu.
My first game was Pokémon Yellow.

Birnax

Grass pokemon Master
Loved pokemon since I was six years old and had alot of pokemon stuff like toys, games,and cards back then.I'm 18 now and still love the series.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm 17 going on 18, and I still love Pokémon games. My love for the anime died when the voice actors changed and it moved to Cartoon Network (I don't have cable), so the games are all that's really left of my childhood with Pokémon and the memories.

I can barely remember watching my first episode of Pokémon, but I still remember seeing the Indigo Plateau episodes, though I don't know the episode titles/order they go in. The clearest one I can remember was when the first movie came out. I can recall my parents taking us to... it wasn't really the first showing, but it was like the first week or so, back when theaters were still full around that time. My brothers and I got the promo Pokémon cards that came from going to see the movie (I got the Dragonite with the bag, my brothers got Electabuzz and Pikachu). I don't exactly remember my actions/emotions while watching the movie, but I was at the edge of my seat, excited to see Mewtwo in action.

When the toys came out at Burger King to promote the movies Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokémon 2000, my mom would take us there any chance she got just for the toys. We ended up getting a small cabinet to put them all in, and every now and then, my brothers and I would go pull out the toys and play with them for a little bit. The moment the craze left, we left the toys alone and rarely took them out. (We have the Pez dispensers that have Squirtle, Pikachu, Mew, Psyduck, and Blastoise on it, but we ate the PokéBall-shaped Pezes that came with them. Mom was planning on selling them one of these days, and the value went down when we ate them all xD.) Now, they're all in a box in my parents' closet, and it's rare that we take it out to look through them and try to remember the good ol` days of Pokémon.

*sigh* I can also just remember getting my Yellow version. I was... eight, I believe, maybe nine, when I got it, complete with a magenta GameBoy Color and a GameBoy pouch that had Pikachu on it. We were at my grandparents' house when I got that. I also remember reaching Brock while there, and wondering why my Caterpie and Pikachu kept fainting. I had a Pokémon handbook by that time, so I should've KNOWN that Rock-types were weak against Fighting-types, but I thought the games went with the anime. Oops.

For the Silver version, it was Christmas of 2000 (I think it was, it was two thousand-something), and I was happy to get it. I started it almost immediately and got a... Totodile, I believe? Yeah, I think that's right. And for a long time, though I had fun with it, I had to keep getting help form a neighbor kid, and ended up getting a Celebi from him. Then my brother got a hold of it and decided to create a new file so he could play with a Cyndaquil and SAVED THE GAME. I was really, really angry with him. I'm just glad I hadn't decided to trade my Pikachu from Yellow over at that time, or I would've been ticked as well (when I did, Sparky turned out to be female). But by that time, I already knew what I was doing, so I (sorta) got over it.

Aroud that time, my brothers were doing baseball, so about every week, we went to a school where they played, and I hung around the playground playing my Silver (if I didn't take my Calvin and Hobbes comic book with me then to read it outloud on the swings). I learned from a kid there how to clone, and so I cloned every chance I had. When my friend traded me a Suicune and a Mew, I tried cloning them, but lost them. So, I never cloned again since.

Then Ruby and Sapphire came out (I still remember the commerical), but that was more recent.

Good times.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
I turned 18 almost 2 months ago so I guess I count.

I remember as a kid I was a pokemon junkie. If there was some sort of pokemon toy or product out there...I probably had it. (all my pokemon stuff seems to have vanished though *sigh*) my first version was either Red/Blue... I can't remember which one, though I had that cool Game Boy Color that came with my Yellow version that I loved until I was moving and decided to give it to a friend who didn't have a gameboy because by that time I already had a Gameboy Advance.

Yeah, my brother and I would go into this game shop and use the internet to look up codes for his gameshark. I remember once he put in a code dubbed "anthrax" and said it would kill your pokemon (it just blanked out the sprite) of course we thought his pokemon really "died" and freaked out. We also loved abusing the glitches, but were afraid of them at the same time because we were afraid missingno would ruin our games/delete our prized pokemon. All of the kids would bring our gameboys into school and battle eachother until we freaked out because it got all glitchy until the school banned playing pokemon because we were doing that instead of working...still occasionally somebody would whip out their gameboy to show me their pokemon or how they beat the elite 4

I also loved buying the japanese cards (because you could buy them in regular stores back then) because I thought that the writing and the design on the back was so pretty, I thought they were so much cooler and prettier then the english cards!

Good times... good times. :)

PS: I am one of the "weird kids" and proud of it! Weird people have the most fun! (and from my experience have the least amount of drama)

Last edited:

Medif

Reptile Poké Trainer
I'm 18 and I remember I was in 3rd grade when Pokemon was all the rage here. It started with the trading cards: I collected them like mad, yet I never learned how to play the card game. And I remember how my brother and I seemed to ALWAYS get lots of Diglett, and in his frustration my brother blew his nose on one. XD
Next my sister started buying VHS's from the first season and we would watch them all day, always cracking up at Brock and his love of girls.
Then, one day at the dentist's office, while sitting in the waiting room, I grabbed a Gameboy from the games basket and spotted Pokemon Blue. I hadn't even heard of a Pokemon game. So I curiously grabbed it and started playing it.
I became addicted! My mom had to practically pry me away from it so that I could go get my teeth cleaned. Immediately after we left, I intended to get that game.
So I went to K-Mart and asked the electronics department employee for Pokemon Blue. He said they had Red, but Blue was in the back somewhere. My dad told me to just go ahead and get Red, because the employee said they were pretty much the same - but I was stubborn and refused to buy anything other than the exact game that I played at the dentist's. Besides, I liked the color blue a lot more. XD
Then my brother bought Red and my sister bought Yellow, and both of them were always so frustrated because they could never win a Pokemon battle against me. Later, my sister and I bought Silver and Crystal and started watching the Johto series. But then my sister had to leave for college and it all kind of winded down. I stopped watching Pokemon and collecting the cards but kept playing the games off and on for a while. Bought Sapphire, then pre-ordered LeafGreen, then finally I bought a Nintendo DS for the sole purpose of playing Diamond - I actually bought the game before the console. I don't think I'll ever get sick of these games. ^^

I'm 20 and have been into pokemon since 99, when the anime was showing in the UK. I walked into the lounge one day and caught my sister watching the Sandshrew episode on TV, sat down, and was hooked. Got Pokemon Blue that christmas and have never looked back.

RachelRach00

Lieks Mudkips
I'm 18 and oddly I started out playing the german version of blue and didn't understand a thing, but still got through it. Also I was so obsessed with the cards that I would trade video taped episodes of the anime for cards. I was a demented little kid. lol

kyogre A

No Rotom isn't legendary how to catch rotom ok night go to ghost home go and u see to tv you catch rotom thank you for asking

Last edited:

J. Fisk

I'm eighteen. I've been a Pokemon fan for ten years now!

In Red (my first Pokemon game) I:
-knew that I wanted to evolve my Eevee into a Jolteon but waited until it was level thirty-something because I thought it would upset Eevee to evolve it too soon because in the cartoon, Pikachu didn't want to evolve (unfortunately, I missed out on Thundershock and had to wait until Jolteon was level fifty-four for it to learn a respectable electric attack)
-I prevented Abra from evolving into Kadabra because I thought Kadabra was hells of ugly, but I found out the hard way that Abra can't learn any moves
-I didn't realize you could choose to run from a wild encounter, so I tried battling everything; I remember fainting while in Mt. Moon (that cave was brutal) dozens of times because I never knew I could run
-It didn't occur to me to save before, for example, battling Mewtwo, so I ended up killing him, and since I hadn't saved for a few hours, I thought, "screw it" and ended up accepting that I didn't have a Mewtwo
-Obviously, my Blastoise was a good thirty levels higher than the rest of my team

I also collected the cards but never learned to play. I also never understood why Ditto wasn't more popular because in my mind, a Ditto was equivalent to having every single Pokemon. ahhaha

Flash Sport

Whatcha gotta say?
I just turned 21 and got into the show before the game. I didn't start playing the game until Gold and Silver came out. Afterwards, I went back and got Red, Blue, and Yellow. Since then I've been collecting all the RPG games for each generation. Where I live, no one else really played the game so I had to trade Pokemon to myself to get them to evolve (which meant 2 handheld consoles). ^_^

It was kinda lonely not having anyone to trade or battle with, but it was a great way to pass the time. Not to mention raising Pokemon is just fun. I also bought the tapes of the shows. After the Johto generation, I kinda fell out of love with the show after that. My fondest memory would be having won the in the Pokemon League in Silver for the first time with my Feraligatr barely taking out Lance's Dragonite.

cfish

I'm almost 21 and I remember with much disdain how my gold and silver cartriges stopped working with only one pokemon left to get on my pokedex

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I think I might be one of the oldest here :/ I'm 27.

I worked at a comic book store when I was in high school and the Pokemon craze started. I had to learn the ins and outs so I could tell 10 year old kids why their Machamp card wasn't worth anything because everyone had one. It still pains me to remember the looks on their faces. I crushed many a dream in my day. Man was it crazy though. People literally would pull up behind the shop and pop open their trunk to reveal boxes of booster packs for the card game to sell to us. It felt like a drug deal.

Still, the whole thing grew on me. I had to be a closet Pokefan for quite a while. Now, I'm married and have three kids so I don't have to care whether I'm cool or not anymore. Plus, my oldest daughter loves Pokemon, so I'm the coolest dad ever since I do, too.

halloweenghost

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I think I might be one of the oldest here :/ I'm 27.

I worked at a comic book store when I was in high school and the Pokemon craze started. I had to learn the ins and outs so I could tell 10 year old kids why their Machamp card wasn't worth anything because everyone had one. It still pains me to remember the looks on their faces. I crushed many a dream in my day. Man was it crazy though. People literally would pull up behind the shop and pop open their trunk to reveal boxes of booster packs for the card game to sell to us. It felt like a drug deal.

Still, the whole thing grew on me. I had to be a closet Pokefan for quite a while. Now, I'm married and have three kids so I don't have to care whether I'm cool or not anymore. Plus, my oldest daughter loves Pokemon, so I'm the coolest dad ever since I do, too.

you prolly should though hee hee..you are still beaten I'm 29 :p

chrona

Timeless Trainer
....I'm 17....but I still remember Pokemon.
When I was 4 my aunt got me a Pikachu card and I loved it. As I got older I collected several cards. I eventually topped 1,000. Of course, I had some repeating, but I had them non-the-less. I traded several times with the boys at school. And even played a few games. I remember crowding around this one guy at the playground who was playing the yellow version. I had several shiny cards and loved to show them off. The other girls thought I was just weird. Oh welll, who cares? I regret to say that the first time I was able to play a videogame version was Saphire. You see, I didn't own a Gameboy of any sort. And I loved it.

chrona

Timeless Trainer
....I'm 17....but I still remember Pokemon.
When I was 4 my aunt got me a Pikachu card and I loved it. As I got older I collected several cards. I eventually topped 1,000. Of course, I had some repeating, but I had them non-the-less. I traded several times with the boys at school. And even played a few games. I remember crowding around this one guy at the playground who was playing the yellow version. I had several shiny cards and loved to show them off. The other girls thought I was just weird. Oh welll, who cares? I regret to say that the first time I was able to play a videogame version was Saphire. You see, I didn't own a Gameboy of any sort. And I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.