• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Fans 18+ from the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
18, been a fan for 10 years now which is insane to think about but I've been playin the games since r/b/y(yet to miss a game) and watching the show on and off since it began. I have a lot of cards but I don't do anything with them anymore.

I've been playing Pokemon since May of 1999...20 years old and still playing teh Pokemanz. I don't care what anyone says as far as it being "kiddy" or whatever, it's still a very high quality and addictive RPG.

sxyhotlee

Im 20, I remember the first ever time I even came across pokemon my friend talked alot about the series, lol it was also on CITV with Ant and Dek (the fat pikachu ^^) anyways my friend got some figures and he gave me a sandshrew figure, from there i ended up asking my mum for a GB colour just to play pokemon and i got red version, My 1st pokemon was a bulbasaur, When silver/gold version came out i just started secondary school and me and some friends arranged a tournement, we actually had one of the 6th formers join in. One of my fondest memories was entering nintendo event at the Metro center, i didnt get very far 3 badges but it was brilliant wish they had other events in the UK like that one.
And now still happily playing and always seeking a new challange....

TheMourningKing

King of Nothing
I'm 18 and I've been a fan since the games hit the US. I remember when my neighbor who was a couple years older than me got blue version and all the kids thought it was so cool. That holiday season I got the Red Version, and I kept coming back to the games. Heck I remember when Gold came out, it was the first time I pre-ordered a game, of course my father has a sick sense of humor and let me pick it up when the store opened BUT we had to stop at a small party for his friend making a perfectly brand new game still in the shrink wrap just wait there. Good times, good times.

Cool_Trainer_Tyrone

Only Train The Best
Well let's see...

I got a Blue Gameboy Pocket and Pokemon Blue for my...(does math...) 10th birthday. My first Pokemon ever was a Squirtle, who was also my first level 100. Actually I can still remember my Blue team it was: Blastoise, Jolteon, Gyrados, Pidgeot, Alakazam, and Dugtrio.

I've gotten every game the day it came out since too.

I'm engaged now and I've actually gotten my fiance playing Pearl so theoretically she would be an 18+ fan too...

I wish my ex gf was like this lol,she dumped me like a month ago,and she said it was because i still played pokemon.

I first got into pokemon when it first aired in Australia,on cheez Tv,then that day at school every was talking about it (Grade 5) I had the cards first,then i got pokemon yellow on Xmas 1999 my first ever pokemon i caught was mankey,he was my first lv 100,such good days they were.

I then had gold which was one of my favourite games,i got this x-mas 2001 i think?I then got ruby on an xmas too cant rember the year,i didnt like this verson intill they made LG/FR which i played in 2006 so i had a few years off or so,then got Emrald,then pearl,now waiting for platinum.

Poliwag2

ship it holla
Don't know about "best" memory... but the earliest thing that I recall is holding down the turbo button on no$gmb.

There was also a time when I actually cared enough about the anime to rush home and watch it after school. I stopped bothering halfway through Orange League.

Best memory would probably be the early days of GSbot on IRC, and the later transition to 3rd generation.

I am 22 now.

Leisser-Kaiser

I'm 18 and I played since the Blue/Red version hit Europe, I was also a avid collector of the cards. I watched most of the movies and much of the anime, but the games still remain the best. I think my best memory is when I was still living in Germany and my cousin, brother, and I wanted to see the first movie that had just come out. The movie theatre we went to was huge and they had an extra laser show (YES FREAKIN LAZERZ!!) before the movie would start. BTW the room showing the movie was completely full, I mean ALL seats were taking and this movie theatre like I said was gigantic. I will never forget that awesome day.

Well, technically I'm 13 (14 soon), but my cousin who is now 'bout 20 got me into it. I had all three of the original games. I collected cards, and I still make decks out of my older cards and newer ones I've come across. I've seen almost every movie, and I remember when I went to see the 1st Movie. Same story as above, minus the lasers. That theater was crammed full. There were people sitting in the aisles. I infected my parents w/ the Pokerus, and my Mom actually liked to play Pokemon Snap. My Dad and I still do card battles, and the disease has n ow passed to my younger brothers.

Ah. Good times.

Rensch

Everyone was into Pokémon back in 2000. The fad did not really start yet over here in Europe in late 1999. The game wasn't released here until fall 1999. I remember seeing it in a toy shop add and wondering what it was. It said you had the possibility to trade different characters via link cable which sounded somewhat interesting. I read about the game in a magazine and did not really understand all of it. But just about two months later, it must have been December or even January 2000, everyone started to learn about the little critters called "Pokémon". Just mere weeks later cards, toys and all that stuff started to pop up at school as well as the video games. I now knew what Pokémon was, so a game in which you could catch and train them for yourself was very appealing when you and your friends were all into it. I played it a bit on a classmates' Game Boy and I loved it instantly. So as soon as I had the money I got a copy and since then I am a fan of the series. Every few months I go back to playing Pokémon games. I'm 21 but since not many people knew about Pokémon in the 90's here in Europe I did not play it as early as that, though.

I got bored of the cartoon quickly and never cared much for the cards and toys and all that, but the games remain fun so I have never been so excited about a video game as when Pokémon Gold and Silver came out a year after I bought Red. I remember how much better everything was. And all those new pokémon which included some of the most memorable ones yet.

I was excited when I saw the Ruby and Sapphire versions. I had just as much fun as with Gold/silver but it didn't feel as much of a gaint leap forward as Gold/Silver was. The changes were, for a big part, more subtle than in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Still, I had great fun with all three Hoenn games and FireRed and LeafGreen proved to be just as much fun as the orignals were in primary school, even more fun because of the many additions.

Then came E3 2006, with no sign of the allready announced pokémon Diamond/Pearl, I felt dissapointed. But what was that? Between all the E3 news there was a scan of a magazine that actually revealed the FIRST D/P screens. I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed about how much it looked like the GBA games, it had 3D effects thrown in, but it was not really 3D like other RPG's on DS such as Final Fantasy. I had hoped for a more three-dimensional approach, but I was still excited about the games.

It proved to be just as solid as always and now I'm eagerly awaiting the new Platinum edition of the game ten years after reading about a little GB game that came in two versions called "Pokémon".

And whatever the next version after that will be, I'm sure to pick up a copy and play it like I've been doing for almost a decade.

Last edited:

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
My fondet memory was the 10 years me nd my red version has spent together, it still works too! though now it is used for glitch reasearch but i love it still!

youssef20138

1000 Years of Pain!
I actually got into the pokemon due to the anime I now hate. After that I had some friends who owned the pokemon games Red & Blue but werent really good at the english language. At my age I knew alittle English so they would often come to me and ask me a couple of questions and in return I laoned their games for a couple of times, cause I never had any of the original games. My first real pokemon game that I owned was Silver and my friend bought Gold. After that we just continue buying diffrent versions of the game so that we could complete it. Awhile after I start reading the manga which I found way better and was slightly suprised it was almost identical to the pokemon games.

Asrialys

Haha, I remember first getting hooked on Pokemon. On our way to a Cub Scout camping trip, I practically hogged my friend's Game Boy Pocket and Pokemon Blue. I played most of the trip. I discovered two things: I absolutely loved Pokemon and that I can't play games (or read) while in a moving vehicle. lol We ended up having to stop because I suddenly felt sick. I threw up shortly after stopping. Fortunately, I wasn't in the car when that happened.

Other memories included discussing our rare Pokemon cards while practicing volleyball :p And speaking of volleyball, my friend (same guy from the story above) actually lost all his cards to the volleyball coach in a chess game. I think he got them back eventually.

Nowadays, it's just games, anime, and manga. I'd do the TCG stuff if there were actually tournaments or leagues still around here. Alas, they ended here around 2001. And then Yu-Gi-Oh took over (not my thing).

Kisa.x

Budding Breeder
I'm 19, almost 20.

I got a Gameboy Colour for my 10th birthday and bought Blue Version with my birthday money. I remember battling someone with a pikachu and thinking "oh awesome, a pikachu!" and tried to catch another trainers pokemon, got annoyed that I couldn't and threw the gameboy.

I also remember getting up early every morning to tape the anime. I had almost every current episode and then my vcr chewed my video :( (I now have most seasons on DVD now though, gotta love staff discount at Toys R Us)

I did miss the 3rd gen games :(
Got back into when I friend loaned me Pearl when I got my DS. Now all I need is FireRed and Emerald and my game collection is complete :)

toxictwinkie

I am 20, live in Australia

I got into pokemon in 1998 November/December when Red and the Blue versions came into Australia. When I saw that Pokemon bus driver commericial (Hope you know what I mean) I knew I had to have those pokemon games. So my brother got the red version and I got Blue. It was so fun trading and battling my brother and also trying to cath the pokemon and complete the pokedex and playing the game.

Shortly after I discovered the anime that starting airing on Cheez TV during the dec/jan school holidays 98/99 (Correct me if I'm wrong, it was a while ago) and the first episode I watched was the lighhouse episode. I watched ever since then, (dispite being on at an evil time 7:30am, but had school then so the time didn't matter that much) but quit during Pokemon Master Quest. (I dislike the johto anime, put me off pokemon for while.) Though I love gold and silver which I pre-ordered back in 2000.

I also got my group of friends into pokemon, such as the anime and trading cards. We liked discussing the episodes and trading the cards. Was good times. I also saw the Movies in the Cinemas and also getting the promotional cards.

I got back into pokemon again during the end of 2005 when I hired Pokemon Movie 4 and 5 and memories flooded back of how much I enjoyed it. I have Diamond and planning on getting Platinum.

So yeah, thats my story ^-^.

Last edited:

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'm 26 and i've been playing since the days of red, blue and yellow.

Good times.

I started watching the anime when it arrived in the UK and i can still remember which was the first episode i saw.

I was the one with the trainer school, where Pikachu faces off against a Cubone and wins.

Zezzl

Awaiting 5th Gen...
I've never been much of a Pokemon Gaming Fan, But I watched the first ever airing of the first anime episode on British TV and fell in love from then on.
Went crazy on the TCG for a while in primary school but gave that up.
Now its just collecting Pokemon Figures and playing on Diamond.

raganbaby_6

Slavophile and hockey fan
I'm 21, but I didn't really start playing until 2000, after my brother beat Yellow; then R/B, Gold, and Sapphire. Finally in 2004, I was blessed with my own copy of LG, and then Emerald a year later (I still have them and play them) Also still play Stadium, and Silver and TCG-Game Boy version.

Still own my two PokeDolls, Psyduck and Squirtle and sometimes grab the ones my brother still has-Lugia (named 'Lugie'), Bulbasaur, Mewtwo (named 'Mewtie'), and Pikachu; as well as a Pikachu GB carrying bag.

Anime- On and off viewing.

Last edited:

neo_senku

Seth1789110

Is my DS racist?
Ok, well, um...I had red when I was 3, so I am not 18, but I have been playing since the beginning on my bros game boy black and white. Do I have the right to post in here lol? My fondest memory, was when I first beat Giovanni. I screamed and ran around my house for hours...but my saddest memory was in the First Movie, and this is my most memorable, when Ash was frozen. I cried in the theaters. I balled my eyes out...I was all like
"Ash no...dont do this to Pikachu...He loves you to much...dont do that...your making me cry..." And my sister, age 4 at the time, cried with me...yeah good times...sorry if I do not reach the age limit, but I am what you call a "pokemon master", that is someone who played since the beginning...so yeah...I guess everyone here would be a master...but yeah lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.