• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon game ideas - ideas for sequels go here too. (remake)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

It's a handheld franchise with no plans to produce a core title for a console, and the developers have said as much (someone else can find the link if they want, this horse is already long dead). Which is perfectly sensible, given that tethering a core title to a console would deprive it of the social and portable aspects inherent to the franchise.

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
Well, they could waste space on the game card with 3D models just so people can dress up their trainers all pretty-like and that would be just about it for the entire game because core Pokémon titles contain an absolutely tremendous amount of data and a DS game card can't hold all those 3D models AND all of the necessary data...

I keep hearing 'memory' issues, but- Have you even seen the memory specs on a DS card? They aren't your average flash drives. Memory limitations? Please. You gotta take a look at the game size and cart size to know what memory it can go to. That was years ago. Methods of producing larger memory chips have come into play- And that applies to our DS systems, too. I highly doubt memory limitations would be a main problem for the game- The card itself can hold much more than the usual amount you've deducted from a flash USB.

They could remain stalwart that such things would be wasteful and simply remain on the course - simple graphics, 2D overhead world, deep, deep, expansive gameplay

Short Version: This is implying that upgrading graphics would lower gameplay quality.

Is it impossible to have both? If only Nintendo could have proved that in the past.

Oh wait. They did. They called it the N64.

And DP was not deep deep and extensive.

Compared to the others, all the predecessors had a much more fulfilling story than DP. I had already listed this in my post, but I'm typing this for a third time at the moment due to server errors.

that's made the series a success for a decade and a half.

Pokemon started late 1995. It celebrated a 10th anniversary February 2006.

10 + 3 = 15. Huh.

Take your pick.

Read Paragraph #2

And I'll call it short here, because I am tired, I've already typed this, and last time I went over I page I elicited this:

You can debate this if you like. I feel like I've done this all before already.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I keep hearing 'memory' issues, but- Have you even seen the memory specs on a DS card? They aren't your average flash drives. Memory limitations? Please. You gotta take a look at the game size and cart size to know what memory it can go to. That was years ago. Methods of producing larger memory chips have come into play- And that applies to our DS systems, too. I highly doubt memory limitations would be a main problem for the game- The card itself can hold much more than the usual amount you've deducted from a flash USB.

Ah, but the more memory there is, the slower the data transfer. And consideriing how much data moves around in pokemon, that would be a very bad thing.

Short Version: This is implying that upgrading graphics would lower gameplay quality.

It will if Game Freak decides to completely unbalance the current ratio.

Is it impossible to have both? If only Nintendo could have proved that in the past.

Oh wait. They did. They called it the N64.

...You'll notice the N64 required large, clunky cartridges. And that it was a console.

And DP was not deep deep and extensive.

Compared to the others, all the predecessors had a much more fulfilling story than DP. I had already listed this in my post, but I'm typing this for a third time at the moment due to server errors.

R/B/Y barely had a story, so I doubt it could be deeper.

Pokemon started late 1995. It celebrated a 10th anniversary February 2006.

10 + 3 = 15. Huh.

Yay?

Alright, just a word of advice. BCVM22 may come out like a condescending ***hole, but arguments are necessary for topics to live. And as it goes, BCVM is really good at arguing.

So remember, BCVM keeps this topic alive.

So stop insulting him, and realize he's trying to point out problems in your ideas so you can fix them.

By the way, as for the "it isn't pointless if the majority wants it", if you can't find the flaw in that statement....

iAmDewgong

Not too shabby
Right, as the main site says - New game to be revealed at the 15th of May (I think). Tell me what you think it's going to be :'D

I am, together with numerous people, hoping for a GSC remake. But that has been discussed. Yah. What new game is coming?

Dawnkey Kawng

Well, it seems that Nintendo is hinting towards a Gold/Silver remake, I mean with all the references to the 2nd gen, and it's too early for the 5th gen. However, it could just end up as a PBR2 and end up as a failure. Too early to tell really.

FRUiTY-DiNO

Fairy Trainer
I again present that the full-length trainer image appears for a grand total of a few minutes per complete run of the game, which would in fact make it pointless to institute customization of that sprite.

And I present that the Pokéball animation appears for as little time as the full trainer, but they created as pointless Poké Ball Capsules and Seals.

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
...You'll notice the N64 required large, clunky cartridges. And that it was a console.

....Did anyone bother to read paragraph 1?

Technology has evolved. The DS is able to support graphics eerily similar to the N64, if not better, and is able to do so without the chunky size. The N64 required it's larger cartridges because it was, well, what the market had to offer as far as data storage at the time. (Other than the CD.)

Let me put this in a simpler analogy.

Remember floppy disks? Not the pretty colored ones, no I mean the oh-dear-god-you-can-knock-out-a-goat-with-that floppy disk. It was big. It was, in your words, 'chunky'.

It held 21 megabytes.

Now, with today's better equipment, we have the flash drive. It's small. Not chunky.

It holds between 128 megabytes to 8 gigabytes. Without chunkiness.

The technology is there. It just needs to be used.

R/B/Y barely had a story, so I doubt it could be deeper.

RBY was about a kid who, for all matters known to the player, wanted to be the best master in the land. He helps ordinary people with the help of his pokemon buddies, saves a tech building from bad guys who want to threaten the safety of these little critters, and manages to help an old man with his seasickness, a young dude with his machine gone wild, an old professor with his life dream, and the rest of the cast of characters with their respective problems all while maintaining his own goal.

The climax of DP involved a little boy taking on the beginning-of-life-supposed entity on Spear Pillar. His rival never seems to know what he's doing, and has the energy complex of a crack addict. Team Galaxy actually never posed a threat to society, exception being the little disagreement they had with a 1500 lb 17'09" dragon.

At least the Rocket grunts knew when to run.

15th of May? Nice, I can't wait to see what it's going to be.

I sorely hope that it's not a sequel to a spin off- We've already several for the mystery dungeon series! We can't expect one right now for pinball- And Ranger? That warrants an automatic facepalm.

Eh, it's Game Freak. I'm sure it'll be good.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
RBY was about a kid who, for all matters known to the player, wanted to be the best master in the land. He helps ordinary people with the help of his pokemon buddies, saves a tech building from bad guys who want to threaten the safety of these little critters, and manages to help an old man with his seasickness, a young dude with his machine gone wild, an old professor with his life dream, and the rest of the cast of characters with their respective problems all while maintaining his own goal.

The climax of DP involved a little boy taking on the beginning-of-life-supposed entity on Spear Pillar. His rival never seems to know what he's doing, and has the energy complex of a crack addict. Team Galaxy actually never posed a threat to society, exception being the little disagreement they had with a 1500 lb 17'09" dragon.

I'll give you the space argument, since I'm really just sick of arguing about it, but I have to disagree with what you wrote about R/B/Y and D/P/P.

I notice that while you wrote about R/B/Y's entire story, you only mentioned the climax of D/P/P. You completely edited out every good deed you do in D/P/P (From helping trainers by teaming up with them, to helping that sailor's child) and you bashed the rival. Who, if I must remind you, has a pretty clear idea of where he's going and what he's doing. The rival has two goals: Beating you, and beating his dad. He goes through quite a bit of character development throughout the game, unlike the R/B/Y rival,and when he loses, he takes it rather well compared to the R/B/Y rival.

More importantly, he actually realizes how strong he actually is, compared to the R/B/Y rival who's ego was bigger then G/S/C's Kanto.

And how is being energetic make him comparable to a crack addict? And his being energetic appears to be a genetic trait- his father can't seem to stop moving either.

And you'll notice that Team Galactic had been stealing pokemon for quite a while, and unlike TR, who were just trying to get rich, Team Galactic intended to take over the world. And they would have suceeded too, if not for us rotten kids.

swalot=yes

<-Get in ma bella!
Maybe for the 5th generation, there can be a ground, ice, steel starters. I don't really like the dark fighting psychic trio because dark is immune to physic, instead of doing half damage. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but i just like to idea of a different typed starters, because they usually look cooler than normal poke's. Usually...

BCVM22

Ground, Ice and Steel aren't a triangle. There's no reason they'd ditch Fire-Water-Grass; they're the most basic of the elemental types and the starters will always be that triangle because it's the best and easiest way to introduce the ebb and flow of the type system.

swalot=yes

<-Get in ma bella!
I think the fire water grass starters are getting tired. They already have two fire and fighting starters (Blazekin and Infernape) and two pokemon based off the same thing (blastoise and Torterra. I consider tortoise and turtle the same thing.) Why is the grass fire water triangle the best and easiest way? You could just as easily introduce the type system with any triangle. And ground ice and steel is a triangle. Ground beats steel, steel beats ice, and ice beats ground. I also think that it would familiarize some little kids with other pokemon types. My little brother always insists on using the fire starter, since it's "The Bestest". All he knows is that fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire. Granted that my brother isn't a Pokemon genius, it would still help those kids who use nothing but their starters through the entire game.

Last edited:

zlxq3000

Master Collector
I'm pretty sure that someone somewhere mentioned that the only other elemental triangle in all of pokemon is rock/flying/fighting...

instantkaos

Pokemon Breeder
I can't see many more games coming from pokemon. After you've created god you're done. Though they could prolong their imminent death for a while by finally remaking GSC.

A good game though would be real-time fighting kind of game in 3D, but not like XD graphics ewww.... You would be the (customizable) trainer in first person, camera just overhead and in battles take the role of your pokemon. The battle system might be confusing. I'm kind of in between wanting having six set moves and a combo button system along with full movement control. Since things would be moving and missing alot more often PP would be somewhat higher to make up for it. The entire pokemon world would be available from Kanto to Almia, but you would have to start in Kanto, Sinnoh, Johto, or Hoenn.

BCVM22

Sigh.

The franchise isn't going anywhere because it's still bringing in profit up the ****ing wazoo, the franchise isn't shifting to real-time fighting games. All of this has been discussed, and this is not an exaggeration, hundreds of times previously. When entering a 17-page thread, please use the search function to see if what you intend to post has already been posted, countered, posted again and countered again because it usually has.

Thank you for your time. Please exit to your left. Direct any complaints or comments to
Customer Service Dept.
1234 Tiredodiscrap Lane
The Internet, USA

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
All of this has been discussed, and this is not an exaggeration, hundreds of times previously. When entering a 17-page thread, please use the search function to see if what you intend to post has already been posted, countered, posted again and countered again because it usually has.

Thank you for your time. Please exit to your left. Direct any complaints or comments to
Customer Service Dept.
1234 Tiredodiscrap Lane
The Internet, USA

Having another user bring it up is actually a way of showing that more than a single user thinks the idea is viable. People feel a bit more welcome to share ideas when they're not alone on it.

It'd be extremely unfair to let one guy post it, and not be able to do it anymore because someone has already said it- Unless, of course, you think the spread of ideas should be limited to only one person, being the first one to say it.

In that case, please tell us who you think that one person was in womens' suffrage, or the 60's black civil rights movements?

Funny- I thought the masses were all in it.

Even if a point has been countered, there's still a chance a new person can give it a much better argument. Think of the way everyone said a GS remake couldn't be possible- Now go troll around the 'New Game Announcement' forum, and see how many good arguments there are now, which the date closing in on us.

Besides, look at the bright side- We're giving any posts labeled with your name meaning. And, we're also giving you something to do with your time, which is why most people log on to the internet in the first place. (Aside from the usual special interests.)

Grass/Flying/Ice does not work as a viable option to most people, because it strays from what we know best. However, it isn't entirely unbelievable, mainly because Pokemon Yellow gave you an Electric, Colosseum gave you a Dark and Psychic, and I'm pretty sure there is a game I haven't gone through yet that allows a starter that diverts away from the usual (i.e. Fire/Water/Grass)

BCVM22

Having another user bring it up is actually a way of showing that more than a single user thinks the idea is viable.

That multiple people come up with an idea is in no way an indicator of viability. I'd need both hands and possibly a foot to list every bad idea I've seen multiple times.

mainly because Pokemon Yellow gave you an Electric

In a generation that already had not one, not two, but three other core games.

Colosseum gave you a Dark and Psychic)

Spinoff title with a watered-down set of battle mechanics.

Prat

I posted this in another forum but here goes..

1. How come theres no spectators for big battles? .. It would create a grand feeling, as people watch on etc. and why not tournament style battles like in the anime? you know.. knockout style, maybe once a week or so? the winner gets a pokeball containing a pokemon if they win (instead of items) or maybe a shiny colored pokemon for continuous streaks?

2. I think this might be purely cosmetic (like no.1) but how bout random PC stands spread throughout the map.. i.e you dont have to go to the Pokemon centre to change your pokemon. But there wouldnt be many PC stands.. just a few spread out.

3. How about a few different sprites for each pokemon? like.. there could be 3 different sprites for a vulpix.. it changes at random when you use it, or maybe even permanent, but I'm no too sure about the graphical requirements and such bout this and if the ds would be able to handle it.

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
Spinoff title with a watered-down set of battle mechanics.

^_^ Point being, no one ever saw it coming- Satoshi Tajiri probably didn't even dream of the spin off games being a viable part to the series.

It still happened.

People didn't think that they could really trade and fight with another kid in Tokyo or the U.K. Heck, as a market, pre-2007, we weren't even thinking playing someone in the same country was a viable idea.

That happened. (Although arguably the GTS building was made of FAIL.)

We didn't expect non-Original-Three elementals being starters.

That also happened.

Multiple people bringing up an idea isn't a surefire indication of viability- Look at Scientologists for a quick inference. However, more people communicating the same idea lets us know that it's not a random thought pulled out of nowhere, but is a small-however universal idea. Freud built part of his psychological theory on that, actually. (Multiple people having a single idea without previous communication.)

In other words, it's a thought that stirred more than one person- Possibility of that also stirring the mind of a programmer?

Slim. But possible in all manners.

Besides, we're only talking Game Freak terms. If we were to bring Dōjinshi Pokemon titles into the fold, ANY idea would seem possible.

Note: Yellow being one of four games, or Colosseum being watered down refuted the thesis in no way.

Fallacy: Tangential- possibly Red Herring.

EDIT: I merged another post onto this, because I'm highly apprehensive of getting marked for Double Posts. So....

I posted this in another forum but here goes..

1. How come theres no spectators for big battles? .. It would create a grand feeling, as people watch on etc. and why not tournament style battles like in the anime? you know.. knockout style, maybe once a week or so? the winner gets a pokeball containing a pokemon if they win (instead of items) or maybe a shiny colored pokemon for continuous streaks?

That's actually a good question- Even without the Anime having such a battle, wouldn't the game still have spectators? Crowds of 50 can show up for a Super Contest, but not a Gym or Tournament match? (In all fairness, they probably stay away for safety reasons. Earthquake could off a group of spectators in a manner that would have Helena of Sinnoh News TV crying drastically.) But, maybe in the next Stadium-game, we could have a couple of spectators- I mean, it's Pokemon. I'd watch two creatures duking it out anytime*.

Recieving a shiny pokemon for a huge streak of wins could be a good reward- Heck, Serebii players already do so. ^_^ It could be a way of getting a not-uber-but-legendary pokemon. (Like Rotom) As a prize for accomplished trainers.

2. I think this might be purely cosmetic (like no.1) but how bout random PC stands spread throughout the map.. i.e you dont have to go to the Pokemon centre to change your pokemon. But there wouldnt be many PC stands.. just a few spread out.

That.... would be interesting. In a world of high-tech machinery like Pokemon- Except Hoenn, because they're green-freaks - Don'cha think there'd be a few more PC's...?

Of course, having them in multiple places would mean they'd have to lose their HP and Status-restoring properties. Not only that, but if you're an aficionado of catching multitudes of pokemon, you'd have an endless stream of teammates- So those route 100-something trainers probably wouldn't last.

Maybe if these porta-pc's only allowed you to switch one pokemon per day. ^_^

3. How about a few different sprites for each pokemon? like.. there could be 3 different sprites for a vulpix.. it changes at random when you use it, or maybe even permanent, but I'm no too sure about the graphical requirements and such bout this and if the ds would be able to handle it.

As I've said before, DS cards can hold oh-so-much compared to previous technologies. It's possible- not as viable- but then again, we already have different graphics for genders on some species.

It probably won't happen anytime soon- But I'd like to refer to Stadium's habit of giving a Pokemon a different color based on it's nickname, so we might not be too far off from it happening on the portable games.

Hehehehe, good visionary ideas. ^_^

*Ajiryn does not endorse cockfighting of dog-fighting.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Note: Yellow being one of four games, or Colosseum being watered down refuted the thesis in no way.

Oh, but they do. Yellow was a recycling of the R/G/B template to squeeze a few more dollars out of it and give the franchise another title to bridge the gap between the 1st and 2nd generations, and clearly countless different conventions were modified or done away with to capitalize on the by then-tremendously popular anime and therefore there are any number of things about Yellow for which the chances are slim to none that they will be replicated again.

Colosseum is, again, a side title. Likely few if any of Game Freak's core development team worked on them and therefore what they do have no bearing on the core titles. Between Ranger and the PMDs, countless different starters are available: shall we take this as some sort of evidence that one might soon be able to pick a Pachirisu or a Bidoof or a Plusle or a Minun as a starter in a core title?

You can walk the "well, it's possible!" path if you like. I prefer the road of "let's be realistic, please."

But I'd like to refer to Stadium's habit of giving a Pokemon a different color based on it's nickname, so we might not be too far off from it happening on the portable games.

The colors weren't nearly as different as you might remember, skewing only to a small degree brighter or duller depending on the nickname. A nicknamed Pikachu was still yellow, even if it was a darker yellow than usual. Furthermore, that only requires a slight recoloring of the same 3D model, which doesn't take up nearly the space that a completely separate model would. Different sprites are just that - completely different sprites - and if you really think it's realistic or worthwhile to add another 3-4 sprites for all what-will-be 500+ Pokémon, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
Oh, but they do. Yellow was a recycling of the R/G/B template to squeeze a few more dollars out of it and give the franchise another title to bridge the gap between the 1st and 2nd generations, and clearly countless different conventions were modified or done away with to capitalize on the by then-tremendously popular anime and therefore there are any number of things about Yellow for which the chances are slim to none that they will be replicated again.

Pikachu- Prominent in every pokemon game mainline game to date.

Surfing yellow rat- Reincarnated as Pichu nowadays.

Checking a Pokemon's affection for you via graphical notice- Check Poketch appas.

Walking pokemon alongside you- Go-go-gadget park.

Aside from that, add-ons to Yellow where anime based. But I'd like to think a couple of things were ported into the new games.

Colosseum is, again, a side title. Likely few if any of Game Freak's core development team worked on them and therefore what they do have no bearing on the core titles. Between Ranger and the PMDs, countless different starters are available: shall we take this as some sort of evidence that one might soon be able to pick a Pachirisu or a Bidoof or a Plusle or a Minun as a starter in a core title?

Good idea, except the bidoof- I prefer Rattata, personally.

See, isn't coming up with stuff a bit more- Productive?

Paaaaaa-chiiiiiii~!

The colors weren't nearly as different as you might remember, skewing only to a small degree brighter or duller depending on the nickname. A nicknamed Pikachu was still yellow, even if it was a darker yellow than usual. Furthermore, that only requires a slight recoloring of the same 3D model, which doesn't take up nearly the space that a completely separate model would. Different sprites are just that - completely different sprites - and if you really think it's realistic or worthwhile to add another 3-4 sprites for all what-will-be 500+ Pokémon, then I don't know what to tell you.

Think outside the box- You're assuming each one will have it's own sprite.

As a programmer, I can say that's the thoughtless route.

Other route? Program variables on the sprite. Got a different name than usual? How about a simple equation that, say,

NORMALNAME Lv 2 = HUE + 0 SAT + 0
YaddaYadda Lv 2 = HUE + 3 SAT -1

Bam. Different color. Same sprite. Minimal effort. Even a kid who plays with MS Paint could envision that- A paid expert programmer could bring it into realization.

Besides, we already have 4 different sprites for most pokemon as is. Redundant spriting has already been accomplished. Normal Male, Normal Female, Shiny male, Shiny female- arguably this applies to only some of them, but who's keeping count?

You can walk the "well, it's possible!" path if you like. I prefer the road of "let's be realistic, please."

I heard the "Realistic, please" thing before. Someone caused up a mighty stir when a little 5-year old mentioned the possibility of playing Pokemon with someone on the internet (on Game FAQS).

Don't think I need to iterate on that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.