• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon game ideas - ideas for sequels go here too. (remake)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Agreed. If there's arguing that is going on, I see no reason why it can't be done over Private Messaging.

Now, I've been compiling a list of things I'd like for a possible 5th Gen Pokemon game.

-I’d like a river route. We’ve seen something like this in DPPt, but I’m talking about a river that divides the region or something, a river that goes through the entire region. They could make it work—add in a waterfall at the end so that you can’t just race to Victory Road as soon as you learn Surf. Add in rapids in the river and a new HM that allowed you to surf through rapids. Put roadblocks up at the beginning, drying up the river and giving you an objective at the beginning of the game.

This doesn't sound too odd. Though having rapids would be pointless when Whirlpools get the job done. And I suppose having the evil team causing the main river of a continent to dry up doesn't sound too over the top. Though it's kind of petty, unless there's a legendary pokemon in the river.

-I’d like for the player characters that you can choose from be Twins. Fraternal twins—one male, one female. Whichever one you don’t choose becomes your rival, and your neighbor becomes your helper (in other words, if Lucas and Dawn were brother and sister, and you chose Lucas, Dawn would be the rival and Barry/your neighbor would help you out like the Professor's Aide). While it could easily work out so that Twin A is helped by Twin B, and their rival is their neighbor, you could also make it so that your sibling has rivalries with you.

So it would basically be the same as D/P/P, only switched a bit, and giving a family relationship.

------A different spin on this idea would be that the main protagonists that could could choose from are simply siblings, and that whichever character you choose is the younger sibling. Your older sibling decided to wait to become a trainer until you did, because of your closeness in age.

I could see this being expanded on in Special where the older sibling uses his/her age to great effect.

-I’d like for your rival to get caught up in the region’s resident crime group. That is, at some point during the plot’s rising action, have your rival join “Team ____.”

They'd have to have a pretty good reason to do so though.

------Yet another spin on this idea is that your neighbor and helper joins Team _____, and you must team up with your sibling to defeat Team ____.

They'd have to have a pretty good reason to do so though.

-I want the main legendary to cause havoc in the region, both before the game starts and while the game progresses. I really liked how Mewtwo destroyed Cinnabar’s Pokemon Mansion, and the results were visible. Also, I think it’d be cool to encounter the legendary multiple times during the game (such as at the beginning, after Team ____ attacks for the first time, as you enter a specific area for the first time, etc.), then, after you gain it’s respect, you’re allowed to catch it.

Pokemon has yet to include battles where you have to actually lose. While it may be good for story purposes, it's quite annoying to sit through. And the main characters tend to gain a legendary's respect by their intense love of pokemon.

-Additionally, while the main plot of the game can include the main Legendary/mascot, I don't think it needs to center around the Legendary.

They've done it since 3rd gen, and it helps provide a central figure for the plot to be developed around.

-I don’t want a ton of legendaries. Give the game it’s main legendary/legendary mascot, maybe a trio or something. I realize that most (if not all) of DPPt's Legendaries served their purpose (and that six (or seven, depending on how you look at it) Legendaries went into the main plot of the game), but we really don't need that this time around. I personally liked how many legendaries there were in RBY and GSC.

Agreed.

-Pokemon Racing! It’d be cool if you could allow your Pokemon to race in a special arena. It wouldn’t necessarily be based on speed, but…

Pokemon Dash already exists. Other then that, this would basically just be a mini game. And Contests already fill up the mini game quota. Unless Contests decide to include racing.

-I'd like it if the mascot was NOT a Legendary. It doesn't need to be a Starter like in RBY, but it could be two Pokemon that are counterparts to one another and have at least some significance to the plot (especially if the game's protagonists are Twins). I dunno, I just feel like the way it is now, one of the strongest Pokemon in the game is immediately pointed out to you when the Legendaries are mascots.

Well the Legendaries are mascots so that the anime and manga can exploit them for plots.

...now, most of these ideas aren't the best (specifically Pokemon Racing, now that I look at it), but these are some general ideas of what I'd like to see in (a) future Generation(s).

Comments in bold.

Jolteon77

The Wolf trainer
Agreed. If there's arguing that is going on, I see no reason why it can't be done over Private Messaging.

Thank you, and thank you for adding something else to respond to other than the argument. Those two critics have stressed out their unasked for points long enough and I’m tired of them. I do need to give a piece of my mind on some of the last comments by mr.bitsblasts but this post is long enough and we can't double post, so I'll will be adding my LAST input into that useless battle in my next turn for response.

Now, I've been compiling a list of things I'd like for a possible 5th Gen Pokemon game.

-I’d like a river route. We’ve seen something like this in DPPt, but I’m talking about a river that divides the region or something, a river that goes through the entire region. They could make it work—add in a waterfall at the end so that you can’t just race to Victory Road as soon as you learn Surf. Add in rapids in the river and a new HM that allowed you to surf through rapids. Put roadblocks up at the beginning, drying up the river and giving you an objective at the beginning of the game.

I like this idea and if they do make more detailed sprites of the pkmn following you or allow us to ride them,it would make for a pretty, visually interesting journey through the river.

-I’d like for the player characters that you can choose from be Twins. Fraternal twins—one male, one female. Whichever one you don’t choose becomes your rival, and your neighbor becomes your helper (in other words, if Lucas and Dawn were brother and sister, and you chose Lucas, Dawn would be the rival and Barry/your neighbor would help you out like the Professor's Aide). While it could easily work out so that Twin A is helped by Twin B, and their rival is their neighbor, you could also make it so that your sibling has rivalries with you.

------A different spin on this idea would be that the main protagonists that could choose from are simply siblings, and that whichever character you choose is the younger sibling. Your older sibling decided to wait to become a trainer until you did, because of your closeness in age.

This is a very good idea because it has a lot of potential in the anime which does need to change up a little. I would like to see the rival more often in the game as well. Seeing them in a random base, or pop up in a contest every once in a while could make things more interesting.

-I’d like for your rival to get caught up in the region’s resident crime group. That is, at some point during the plot’s rising action, have your rival join “Team ____.”

------Yet another spin on this idea is that your neighbor and helper joins Team _____, and you must team up with your sibling to defeat Team ____.

Both of the ideas could be used if you mixed them together: it could be that both got caught up with the team. After defeating your sibling/neighbor (whoever comes first) they could change for the better from grief and you both could double battle the other one when you come across them later.

-I want the main legendary to cause havoc in the region, both before the game starts and while the game progresses. I really liked how Mewtwo destroyed Cinnabar’s Pokemon Mansion, and the results were visible. Also, I think it’d be cool to encounter the legendary multiple times during the game (such as at the beginning, after Team ____ attacks for the first time, as you enter a specific area for the first time, etc.), then, after you gain it’s respect, you’re allowed to catch it.

I remember how fun it was when the legendaries icons popped up in some places in crystal and it would be fun to see more cut scenes with them. It makes things all the more fun when you finally get to catch them. Another thing I would like to see is if before you catch them, they would team up with you to defeat the bad guys, not as a team member- but follow you to help break into their HQ and clear obstacles for you until you got back out.

-Additionally, while the main plot of the game can include the main Legendary/mascot, I don't think it needs to center around the Legendary.

True, but maybe not anyless than 40% of what it is now. It would make for a more in depth plot to see more developed characters and their teams other than your rivals and elite 4 members throughout the story.

-I don’t want a ton of legendaries. Give the game its main legendary/legendary mascot, maybe a trio or something. I realize that most (if not all) of DPPt's Legendaries served their purpose (and that six (or seven, depending on how you look at it) Legendaries went into the main plot of the game), but we really don't need that this time around. I personally liked how many legendaries there were in RBY and GSC.

I agree; they should slow the rate of new legendaries and try to reuse the older ones more. There's getting to be too many.

-Pokemon Racing! It’d be cool if you could allow your Pokemon to race in a special arena. It wouldn’t necessarily be based on speed, but…it could be just a side-attraction, about as important as Contests.

I see this happening like this:
You take control of the sprites used to follow you on the field and race on a track with hazards… To allow any pokemon to enter would call for a lot of trip up tactics because there is no way that a slugma is going to outrun a Jolteon. It would be fun in a game, but it’s too much like pkmn dash. I think to hold a mini game like this should be to where you actually ride the pokemon against other riders while using attacks to trip them up. I envision that it might call for an 8 directional movement game if we are still playing a top down scrolling rpg. Also on this idea, to make things original, it could be where there are size limits for all pokemon that can enter, and in this light you can enter 2 for the race that fit the size rules: one you ride, and one that follows you to help to fight off other trainers and obstacles in your path. It could make things fairer for all pkmn to enter (besides legendaries and wailord) since all pkmn are not big enough for a rider.

-I'd like it if the mascot was NOT a Legendary. It doesn't need to be a Starter like in RBY, but it could be two Pokemon that are counterparts to one another and have at least some significance to the plot (especially if the game's protagonists are Twins). I dunno, I just feel like the way it is now, one of the strongest Pokemon in the game is immediately pointed out to you when the Legendaries are mascots.

I could see if the twin’s main pokemon yin yanged each other like umbreon and espeon, but I think it should still be the legendary on top if not the starter. They would have to change the box covers on the games and it might not be as cool with lesser pkmn on the front.

-A special area called "Cubone Graveyard", which is mentioned in one of Cubone's (or was it Marowak's?) Pokedex entries. I mean, Corsola's Pokedex entry alludes to Pacifidlog Town, and while it's not exactly the same, I'd like for the graveyard to be present in a future game. Plus, I liked areas like Turnback Cave and the Old Chateau, that were generally the "scarier" areas.

I really like to explore mini side story areas like that too. The sunken ship and shoal cave are two of my favorites personally. If they do remake the primary colored versions again it would be fun to see a cubone graveyard (being that’s the region they originated from). It would add more depth to the pkmn itself. Another cool thing to see would be a mini thundercloud over manectric's mane (or any other electric pkmn) when it’s rainy or storms on the field like in their pokedex description. Now that we have pokemon following us outside, it would be cute to see them with differences relating to the field. Right now, the size of the sprites in hg ss wouldn’t really allow for much added detail, but if they did transition the trainer rpgs to a more pkmn ranger style, it could allow room for a lot of pkmn surprises. An umbreon could have glowing rings in the dark or at night, a fire type could let off little bits of steam when it’s out in the rain, a sunflora could bloom up in strong light- many possibilities.

...now, most of these ideas aren't the best (specifically Pokemon Racing, now that I look at it), but these are some general ideas of what I'd like to see in (a) future Generation(s).

Racing or at least riding different pkmn would be fun even though it could be cost intensive on memory for graphics, but who knows. It could offer a fun and alternative means of winning prizes and money other than the game corner, as well reaching hard to get to places on the field. Yes bikes are there already and could serve the same purpose, but if you really had to chose between the pedals and gliding on charizard or leaping around on a sceptile, then I would choose the pkmn and leave out bikes completely.

EDIT- what I need to say to critic 1 and 2

Moving on... challenging an idea is how solid foundations for a realistic outcome are made. I understand the need to be logical and thouroghly look at the history of pkmn games to move forward; you're trying to avoid the core of the franchise from completely becoming something else or not evolving originally which would otherwise be bound for failure.... Excellent then, good efforts you two. Hard critiques make for harder artists. Good thing about critics are that you can pick and choose what you want from 'em- if anything at all. That is how new stlyes are created, be they liked or not. You guys did leave some insight on demographics I might consider more. Otherwise, you have your views and i have mine.

I also agree that anything further on the argument should be kept to PMs. Drag this out where and/or if you want to, I just won't be paying you half as much the bother until we all agree to start up new, friendly and respectfully.

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The bikes are never going to leave. That is one fact about pokemon.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
What would be the point of adding in motorcycles when all you get is the same basic effect?

And the current sprites are too small to be customizable. Though helmets certainly are possible.

Jolteon77

The Wolf trainer
Cause it's cooler than bicycles.
the icons are small for customizing. Maybe they can have a close up page of it like they do the pokees so you can see it better, like a stat page. They put stickers on pokeballs, so why not your rides too?

New idea-
A vault. Something that you can store maybe 3 pokemon in and preserve through to a new game, in game. To avoid players from dragging in mewtwos when they first start (even though they could trade in anyone after they get their pkdx), it could be to where you have to get your first badge before you can access the vault (not beat the E4). Now trading is a staple factor in the game, but no matter is who is stored, there is only 3 pkmn there, which is not enough to really upset anything.
I say this because not every kid has access to another handheld to trade, so if someone ever wished they could transfer their eggs or a fav pkmn to the new game without trading they could and early yet fairly too.

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Cause it's cooler than bicycles.
the icons are small for customizing. Maybe they can have a close up page of it like they do the pokees so you can see it better, like a stat page. They put stickers on pokeballs, so why not your rides too?

Ah, but seals had their effect in battle, where you could clearly see them. Bikes never really get a zoom-in except for ending credits, so there really is no point.

New idea-
A vault. Something that you can store maybe 3 pokemon in and preserve through to a new game, in game. To avoid players from dragging in mewtwos when they first start (even though they could trade in anyone after they get their pkdx), it could be to where you have to get your first badge before you can access the vault (not beat the E4). Now trading is a staple factor in the game, but no matter is who is stored, there is only 3 pkmn there, which is not enough to really upset anything.
I say this because not every kid has access to another handheld to trade, so if someone ever wished they could transfer their eggs or a fav pkmn to the new game without trading they could and early yet fairly too.

Unfortunately that would lead to the problem of the game becoming pathetically easy.

That is, if that actually worked. Since it's a new game the ID and Secret ID have changed, so that pokemon would be uncontrollable. Not to mention the fact it would screw up the whole 'You can't get certain pokemon before the National Dex'. Oh, and the fact that Wi-Fi trading makes it unnecessary to have access to another handheld.

wichu

Guys, cool down :S

Jolteon77: In my opinion, your ideas, although interesting, are too ambitious. Even if you're not expecting Nintendo to implement them, and just want to create them yourself, think about how difficult it would be to do so. But more importantly, even if you think those ideas are great, do you think everyone else will agree? I don't want an MMORPG with realistic, real-time battles. I wouldn't buy that game, even if it was Pokémon; I prefer the style of the handheld games. Not to mention that I rarely have time to play games on anything but the DS...
Although motorcycles are a cool concept, the Pokémon series' target demographic is a little young for that :p

The changes i would make are...
-difficulty, give the elite four levels in the 55-71 range(perhaps a little lower than 71)
-Better plot (not gonna happen in a while)
-Better AI (one of the worst things in a pokemon game are inintellectual opponents)
-Faster surf speed
-rivals that actually are consistent in battling and have a role in the plot.
I thought these were pretty good ideas. The E4 levels really depend on the rest of the game. For example, G/S had a short pre-E4 story; their E4's levels were between 40 and 50. D/P's story was much longer, giving players more time to level up their Pokémon; their E4 was in the high 50s and early 60s.
Yes, the plot could be better. However, you have to remember the series is aimed at children; they might not fully understand a complicated plot, and generally just want to beat up the bad guys. Some optional backstory for older players would be great, though.
I think the AI is pretty good; it's not too strong, allowing inexperienced players to have less trouble winning, yet still manages to challenge better players, especially in the Battle Frontier. The story is not the place for AI; optional areas are where it should be tough.
Surf speed, although slow in D/P, was improved in Platinum. I'd like to see a 'run' system, similar to walking, though; sometimes the fast Surfing speed makes you feel out of control. Holding B to Surf faster would be great.
Finally, they really should make the rival(s) harder. The recent ones, especially May/Brandon, were pushovers. The R/B rival was great; his Pokémon were always one step ahead of yours (level 40 Charizard in Silph, anyone?), and his personality showed that he knew that. The G/S rival was pretty cool, too (although sometimes a bit easy to beat).

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
May and Brendan could barely be considered rivals, seeing as how the final official fight is before your 7th badge.

Wally could be considered your true rival.

D/P/P Rival was pretty decent. He only truly gets strong at the end though; especially if you screwed up and didn't heal after getting out of Victory Road.

G/S/C Rival sucked as long as you had type coverage. Especially if you picked Cyndaquil and got a Mareep.

R/B/Y rival, yeah, he was tough. Especially as champion.

Grei

not the color
This doesn't sound too odd. Though having rapids would be pointless when Whirlpools get the job done. And I suppose having the evil team causing the main river of a continent to dry up doesn't sound too over the top. Though it's kind of petty, unless there's a legendary pokemon in the river.

To me, the rapids would make more sense in a river (whirlpools would generall happen in a large body of water, I would think), but then again, if there are rocks formations that would allow for water to become a whirlpool (and it was big enough to be an obstacle), that could work out fine.

I'd also like it if there was a Pokemon at the source of the river.

So it would basically be the same as D/P/P, only switched a bit, and giving a family relationship.

Basically. It wouldn't be an earth-shattering change, but I personally think the character setup in DPPt worked out well.

Pokemon has yet to include battles where you have to actually lose. While it may be good for story purposes, it's quite annoying to sit through. And the main characters tend to gain a legendary's respect by their intense love of pokemon.

Well, I meant more like when you encounter Mesprit, or Cresselia, or the Legendary Dogs, for the first time. They appear before you before disappearing.

The Legendary could do that, where it appears to you every so often at different points during your journey (and probably helping you a few times), and you battle it later on in the story.

They've done it since 3rd gen, and it helps provide a central figure for the plot to be developed around.

Yeah, I guess. But, then again, the Legendary could be involved in the plot without being the center or cause of it. RSE pulled off the Legendary being central well, but then again, you didn't hear anything about the legendary until just before Sootopolis (or somewhere around there). In DPPt, it was even worse, with the main plot not really even being driven by the Legendaries, but by Cyrus trying to summon them.

Pokemon Dash already exists. Other then that, this would basically just be a mini game. And Contests already fill up the mini game quota. Unless Contests decide to include racing.

To be fair, Pokemon Dash wasn't that great. I wouldn't mind it if there was a 'Pokemon Carnival' aspect in the future that allowed things like Pokemon Racing as a mini-game.

As Jolteon77 suggested, a track littered with hazards would also work. It'd be a "more dangerous version" of the standard obstacle course in Dog Shows.

Contests including racing could probably work. I mean, they could add the obstacle-course aspect from Dog Shows to Pokemon Contests, and add a competition to it by making the contestants race each other.

This is a very good idea because it has a lot of potential in the anime which does need to change up a little. I would like to see the rival more often in the game as well. Seeing them in a random base, or pop up in a contest every once in a while could make things more interesting.

Agreed.

I remember how fun it was when the legendaries icons popped up in some places in crystal and it would be fun to see more cut scenes with them. It makes things all the more fun when you finally get to catch them. Another thing I would like to see is if before you catch them, they would team up with you to defeat the bad guys, not as a team member- but follow you to help break into their HQ and clear obstacles for you until you got back out.

I agree with this, too. I always thought that if you would be able to see the Legendary a number of times during your adventure before finally catching it, it'd be that much more fun to use that Pokemon. I dunno. =/

And I'd never actually thought of that, where you team up with the legendary in a Double-Battle type of match against the resident Team. Like, two of the Admins try to gang up on the player, but the Legendary shows up and helps you out. That'd be cool, though it would have to happen right before you were allowed to catch it, since the point of finally catching it later in your journey would be to show that you've earned the legendary's respect.

I agree; they should slow the rate of new legendaries and try to reuse the older ones more. There's getting to be too many.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if, in the future, there were Legendaries (let's use Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza as examples) that were native to not only Hoenn, but the region that the 5th Gen game was set in. To set them apart, they could give them differences that could be compared to the Notch-Ear Pichu, just to make them seem separate from their counterparts in Hoenn.

Something like that.

I could see if the twin’s main pokemon yin yanged each other like umbreon and espeon, but I think it should still be the legendary on top if not the starter. They would have to change the box covers on the games and it might not be as cool with lesser pkmn on the front.

At this point, you're probably right. They'd be backtracking if they stopped using Legendaries and replaced them with lesser Pokemon.

I really like to explore mini side story areas like that too. The sunken ship and shoal cave are two of my favorites personally. If they do remake the primary colored versions again it would be fun to see a cubone graveyard (being that’s the region they originated from). It would add more depth to the pkmn itself.

It wouldn't need to be in Kanto, though. I could imagine that all Marowak and Cubone would come to the Cubone Graveyard. There could be mystery surrounding how they appear there, which could add to the side plot.

Another idea I hadn't pitched previously:

What if your Pokemon naturally had the ability to 'Fly' or 'Surf' or 'Rock Climb'? What if, instead of needing to teach them HMs, you were able to simply catch a Flying type and were able to fly with it? Or you could catch a water Pokemon and be able to surf with it? You could liken it to the Field Moves of the Pokemon in Ranger.

It's a weird idea, and I don't know how they'd deal with Pokemon like Mantine, who could theoretically both Surf AND Fly, but I'd personally prefer it if you didn't have to waste move slots on HMs, especially post-National Dex.

Also, I think that Cranidos and Rampardos should be able to have Rock Head as an Ability in future generations.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
To me, the rapids would make more sense in a river (whirlpools would generall happen in a large body of water, I would think), but then again, if there are rocks formations that would allow for water to become a whirlpool (and it was big enough to be an obstacle), that could work out fine.

Eh, G/S/C had whirlpools in an underground lake. I'm sure they can put them in rivers.

I'd also like it if there was a Pokemon at the source of the river.

Would make sense.

Basically. It wouldn't be an earth-shattering change, but I personally think the character setup in DPPt worked out well.

It was different to say the least.

Well, I meant more like when you encounter Mesprit, or Cresselia, or the Legendary Dogs, for the first time. They appear before you before disappearing.

The Legendary could do that, where it appears to you every so often at different points during your journey (and probably helping you a few times), and you battle it later on in the story.

I see. So in other words the Legendary will pop up every now and then before your final confrontation? No real problem with that; Suicune already did it.

Yeah, I guess. But, then again, the Legendary could be involved in the plot without being the center or cause of it. RSE pulled off the Legendary being central well, but then again, you didn't hear anything about the legendary until just before Sootopolis (or somewhere around there). In DPPt, it was even worse, with the main plot not really even being driven by the Legendaries, but by Cyrus trying to summon them.

Yes, but usually the Legends provide a more central role in the anime and manga.

To be fair, Pokemon Dash wasn't that great. I wouldn't mind it if there was a 'Pokemon Carnival' aspect in the future that allowed things like Pokemon Racing as a mini-game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it on WiiWare, but I wouldn't expect to see it in the core games. Last thing we need is PETA getting all fussy.

As Jolteon77 suggested, a track littered with hazards would also work. It'd be a "more dangerous version" of the standard obstacle course in Dog Shows.

Again, more likely to happen in a spin-off then a core game. Testing the waters and all.

Contests including racing could probably work. I mean, they could add the obstacle-course aspect from Dog Shows to Pokemon Contests, and add a competition to it by making the contestants race each other.

It would certainly be better then the current contests.

I agree with this, too. I always thought that if you would be able to see the Legendary a number of times during your adventure before finally catching it, it'd be that much more fun to use that Pokemon. I dunno. =/

If it's just one or two legendaries it could probably be fit into the story, like Suicune in Crystal, but more then that would be a hassle to write a story around: your character has to do some things by themselves after all.

And I'd never actually thought of that, where you team up with the legendary in a Double-Battle type of match against the resident Team. Like, two of the Admins try to gang up on the player, but the Legendary shows up and helps you out. That'd be cool, though it would have to happen right before you were allowed to catch it, since the point of finally catching it later in your journey would be to show that you've earned the legendary's respect.

That may be cool but it would probably be a little impractical seeing as how the Legendary could probably interfere with your using the moves Surf and Earthquake. Especially since the "2 admins" scenario already happened and all your trainer did was throw out two pokemon/fight them one at a time.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if, in the future, there were Legendaries (let's use Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza as examples) that were native to not only Hoenn, but the region that the 5th Gen game was set in. To set them apart, they could give them differences that could be compared to the Notch-Ear Pichu, just to make them seem separate from their counterparts in Hoenn.

It would be kind of odd for there to be more then one pokemon that can expand the ocean. I mean, they were able to pull it off with lessers (Dialga controlling time while Celebi just travels through it, Kyogre controlling the sea while Manaphy rules it, ect.)

It wouldn't need to be in Kanto, though. I could imagine that all Marowak and Cubone would come to the Cubone Graveyard. There could be mystery surrounding how they appear there, which could add to the side plot.

Sounds more like something in a Pokemon Ranger game.

Another idea I hadn't pitched previously:

What if your Pokemon naturally had the ability to 'Fly' or 'Surf' or 'Rock Climb'? What if, instead of needing to teach them HMs, you were able to simply catch a Flying type and were able to fly with it? Or you could catch a water Pokemon and be able to surf with it? You could liken it to the Field Moves of the Pokemon in Ranger.

Yes, but then you'd deal with the problem of sequence breaking. Pokemon games naturally block against sequence breaking by instigating the "This badge lets you use this HM" rule

It's a weird idea, and I don't know how they'd deal with Pokemon like Mantine, who could theoretically both Surf AND Fly, but I'd personally prefer it if you didn't have to waste move slots on HMs, especially post-National Dex.

I personally don't see the problem with having one slot be Surf, and HM Slaves generally get the job done pretty well. Especially since post-game you'll probably be at the Battle Frontier where at the most you'll need three pokemon.

Also, I think that Cranidos and Rampardos should be able to have Rock Head as an Ability in future generations.

Mold Breaker is a pretty handy ability to have, and only Pinsir and the Cranidos line have it.

Grei

not the color
I see. So in other words the Legendary will pop up every now and then before your final confrontation? No real problem with that; Suicune already did it.

Right. When I played through Crystal...I dunno. I just felt perfectly fine with using Suicune after I caught it. In other games, I'd catch the Legendary but wouldn't use it. Granted, I was younger when I played Crystal, but all the same, I felt like I was using a Pokemon that I'd been with for a lot of my journey, possibly because I saw Suicune everywhere.

I guess I just don't like using Legendaries like Dialga and Palkia because they just...appear, and that's it. Suicune was around for all of Crystal, so I had no problem using it.

I dunno why I feel that way, I just sorta do. =/

EDIT: 600th Post.

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The Legendaries are just given to you at the end just in case you can't beat the E4.

I mean, look at 3rd gen. Kyogre can destroy everything if you teach it Thunder.

hacki101

I read up to about page 13 and then got bored so sorry if ive repeated any ideas.

So my ideas (probably on the Wii or future Nintendo console):

- The routes and cities laid out like it Fallout 3 where you have to find the cities and then challenge gyms there (the leader's levels increase for each gym leader you beat) and you encouter wild pokemon in the routes which also increase in level as you progress. This idea could support real-time battling and other regions could be unlocked after defeating the final elite 4 (or equivalent).

- The same concept as handheld games currently but after you complete the elite 4 you unlock a new tier which is harder and you essentially replay the game but higher difficulty (maybe in new region) and you get a new starter for tier 1. For gym leaders, trainers and wild pokemon you encouter a team/pokemon for each tier. Tiers can go up to 3,4 or 5 and you have limited in game time to collect 8 badges and before the 'Pokemon league' occurs so you can fail a tier. After each league your pokemon are either automatically upgraded to the next tier or chosen to go up (Tier 1 always get upgraded). Level cappingwould probably have to be moved up to 150-200 however.

- Playing through the game normally you can play co-op with a friend(s) and see them walk around in your game and you can team up with them if they're close enough. (Not gym leaders etc.) When they arent online you can choose for them to follow you AI controlled.

BCVM22

You'll never see a full-bore Pokémon title for a console; it's a handheld franchise. The GCN pair were as close as they'll ever come, and those were, at best, watered down quite heavily.

Likewise for real-time combat outside of the spinoffs.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I read up to about page 13 and then got bored so sorry if ive repeated any ideas.

So my ideas (probably on the Wii or future Nintendo console):

Pokemon is mainly a handheld series. The plus side of portability is simply to great to lose just for better graphics and largers data storage.

- The routes and cities laid out like it Fallout 3 where you have to find the cities and then challenge gyms there (the leader's levels increase for each gym leader you beat) and you encouter wild pokemon in the routes which also increase in level as you progress. This idea could support real-time battling and other regions could be unlocked after defeating the final elite 4 (or equivalent).

Real time systems are unlikely to ever show up in the core games, and any attempt at an all region game right now would result in severely watered down regions. Also, pokemon, being a kid's game, can't really make things too difficult.

- The same concept as handheld games currently but after you complete the elite 4 you unlock a new tier which is harder and you essentially replay the game but higher difficulty (maybe in new region) and you get a new starter for tier 1. For gym leaders, trainers and wild pokemon you encouter a team/pokemon for each tier. Tiers can go up to 3,4 or 5 and you have limited in game time to collect 8 badges and before the 'Pokemon league' occurs so you can fail a tier. After each league your pokemon are either automatically upgraded to the next tier or chosen to go up (Tier 1 always get upgraded). Level cappingwould probably have to be moved up to 150-200 however.

Having a level 200 pokemon would ruin competitive play; pokemon would have stats in the 900s, making matches go on forever. Also, the Battle Frontier was placed in the game for those seeking a challenge. Replaying the game is simply unnecessary and would probably annoy more then help (see Megaman Battle Network 4 for details on that).

- Playing through the game normally you can play co-op with a friend(s) and see them walk around in your game and you can team up with them if they're close enough. (Not gym leaders etc.) When they arent online you can choose for them to follow you AI controlled.

D/P/P already tried a buddy system, and it ended up making things far too complicated. Even more so if it was over Wi-Fi, and you would have to wait for the other trainer to send commands. Then there would be the issue of catching pokemon; if the other trainer catches it, do you get it since it's your game, or does it get sent to him?

Comments in bold.

We've seen some form of your requests already, but not specifically like what you posted.

hacki101

I see your points but I would like to have options for where to go not just a path through the game and a better way to train low levelled pokemon than just continuously beating the elite 4 w. Exp. Share which would be replaying the game.

I didn't think the buddy system was too complicated though and catching wasnt that difficult but point 3 would be for the future for no lag.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I see your points but I would like to have options for where to go not just a path through the game and a better way to train low levelled pokemon than just continuously beating the elite 4 w. Exp. Share which would be replaying the game.

I didn't think the buddy system was too complicated though and catching wasnt that difficult but point 3 would be for the future for no lag.

Sequence breaking probably wouldn't work to well in pokemon if you ask me, but wahtever.

But yes, we really do need a better way to train pokemon. Though cruising through the E4 gives good XP and money.

In double battles you had to faint the one pokemon you didn't want to catch and probably had to faint your partner so he/she doesn't screw everything up before you could easil catch a pokemon.

Ajiryn

Eevee-lutionist
The one week my computer finally kicks the bucket, and a meaningful multi paragraph debate ensues? XD

Nuts! I even forgot what page I was on.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
You were last on page 20.

By the way, as a way of settling things, can I ask for your opinion on the debate Jolteon77, BCVM22 and I had?

Status
Not open for further replies.