• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Game Ideas V. 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

These games are a little different but I like the idea of the first 2Anyway tell me what you think on a scale of 1-10. Also tell me some ideas of your own or ways to make my ideas better.

As is the answer always, in everything that Pokémon is, tries to be and tries to put forth, you are never going to see a game that glorifies criminal activity.

Pokemon is button mashing however, it requires less coordination among the buttons nor is it about the timing at which the buttons are pressed. There is a decent chance that if neither of the two mentioned gamers had knowledge of Pokemon's game play and intricacies and they were both set into a match against each other the outcome could go 50/50.

Pokémon is not, by the traditional definition, a "button masher." A button masher, as the name suggests, is a game whose gameplay almost lends itself to the concept of wailing on every gameplay button the controller provides you with if you wish to obtain success. Pokémon Rumble is an excellent example of such a title - you can achieve significant success by moving through the levels and wailing on one or two attack buttons when necessary.

If you were to simply lash out at every button on the DS during normal gameplay in a core title, you would move in choppy and incoherent fashion throughout the overworld while cycling endlessly in and out of menus; in a battle, you would largely do the same while lucking into the occasional attack. That is not success, as defined by Pokémon, to any degree. Conversely, you can simply lash out at the controls in a title like Smash Bros. and there's a reasonable chance you may hit your opponent with enough attacks to make a game out of it.

Last edited:

Jkbrown94

Team Flora Leader
Thanks for the comment. I thought it was a good idea. Oh well :(

Dahweenkster

Dah Weenster Baby!
I think it's an excellent idea Jkbrown. Maybe the protagonist could see the error of their ways throuhg the game perhaps try to dismantle the team from the inside or such things...don't let BCVM rain on your parade he's just a big sad cloud trying to drizzle out everyone's hopes and dreams with that darn ole' reason and that new fangled logic the kids are smokin these days.

BCVM22

Maybe the protagonist could see the error of their ways throuhg the game perhaps try to dismantle the team from the inside or such things...

So if the main character is going to reform and go against his former masters, why bother starting him as a villain in the first place? It's the same quest as found in every core title - your character defeats an entire organization - just with different window dressing the way you put it.

don't let BCVM rain on your parade he's just a big sad cloud trying to drizzle out everyone's hopes and dreams with that darn ole' reason and that new fangled logic the kids are smokin these days.

That is untrue. You have no proof that I am big, sad and/or a cloud.

Jkbrown94

Team Flora Leader
I never thought of that Dahweenkster. I was thinkin that the plan failed to catch the legendary, but your idea is better than mine. oh thanks for the suport too. :)

BCVM22

maybe a remake of yellow with the sevi islands and/or johto (like a cross between silver/gold and yellow)

In no uncertain terms, both of these would be completely pointless. You've got the only worthwhile thing that differentiated Yellow from R/G/B - a following Pokémon - in HG/SS and you've got both Johto and a reasonably robust Kanto in the same title(s). What's the value of doing yet more Kanto and Johto when both of them have a presence in the current generation and both of them have headlined games within the previous and current generations? If you need your Sevii fix that bad, pop in your copy of FR/LG.

Secret Identity

Pseudo Trainer
How about Tauros riding? It's just like bull riding, but with Tauros.

If that doesn't work, then how would you feel about Tauros fighting?

JamesRaynor

In the core gameplay hasn't changed in over a decade since it's initial release. First off who said it would be a fighting game? All I said was something real time instead of it being this paralyzed backing and fourthing of blows.

SSBB isn't a button masher so.... what are you talking about? Do you simply do not know how to play well or are you making a stereotype out of all fighting games.

Because the turn-based combat system ensures that no young gamer will ever lose a game because their opponent was able to manipulate the controls that much quicker, that much more accurately or that much skillfully and run/fly/shoot rings around them. Again, that's essential given the target demographic.

Not really. Granted, you can make it complex if you want, but at its core, you move the stick to make your character move onscreen and you press the buttons to make him/her/it/them attack. Pretty simple.

You obviously forgot what NINTENDO HARD was. Back when grown men were tots Nintendo made the hardest games around for children, where every single wall, insect, and blade of grass was trying to murder you. Nowadays children get their hands held so hard their fingers turn white and drop off. I don't see why it's such a problem to challenge kiddies, after all Nintendo used to have it as their slogan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0DlcxyY5M

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Incorrect.

Nintendo Hard was hard only because of the limits of game design at the time, with most of the difficulty being provided by:

•lots of enemies (or lots of bullets) that are hard to hit or dodge.
•surprise attacks that can only be avoided by sheerest luck or memorizing their locations.
•Malevolent Architecture that poses a constant danger of death even when the player proceeds as cautiously as possible.
•a hero who can survive very few hits — often dying from even the slightest scratch.
•lack of, or very few check points or save points.
•a limited number of lives and/or continues.
•no way to adjust the difficulty

And I believe you need to look at the newest Nintendo game: New Super Mario Bros Wii.

That game is HARD.

EDIT: Ha, just realized I'm quoting TVtropes in response to JamesRaynor. The irony is intense.

Last edited:

JamesRaynor

Incorrect.

Nintendo Hard was hard only because of the limits of game design at the time, with most of the difficulty being provided by:

•lots of enemies (or lots of bullets) that are hard to hit or dodge.
•surprise attacks that can only be avoided by sheerest luck or memorizing their locations.
•Malevolent Architecture that poses a constant danger of death even when the player proceeds as cautiously as possible.
•a hero who can survive very few hits — often dying from even the slightest scratch.
•lack of, or very few check points or save points.
•a limited number of lives and/or continues.
•no way to adjust the difficulty

And I believe you need to look at the newest Nintendo game: New Super Mario Bros Wii.

That game is HARD.

EDIT: Ha, just realized I'm quoting TVtropes in response to JamesRaynor. The irony is intense.

Your missing the point though, I'm saying that nintendo did it before, and still does it (Like the mario kart games, where the CPU cheats horribly); So level difficulty isn't really an issue.

Jkbrown94

Team Flora Leader
I have another idea. What about a Pokemon Kart, like Mario Kart. Sorta like Pokemon Dash but with more pkmn and more tracks.

BCVM22

Dash came out nearly three years ago and the concept hasn't been seen or heard from since, which tells you a fair amount about how it sold and what people thought of it. Not to say that they couldn't do a similar title again in the future.

The Pokéthlon is sort of what you're asking for, isn't it?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Your missing the point though, I'm saying that nintendo did it before, and still does it (Like the mario kart games, where the CPU cheats horribly); So level difficulty isn't really an issue.

For one, I was responding to your incorrect statement about how "hard" Nintendo games used to be, which is false as "hard" does not equate to "unfair".

For two, just reading your post gives the feeling of someone dissing the newer games for being "easy".

Also, to BCVM22, I'm pretty sure the Pokethon can't be compared to a kart racer.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Certainly not, but I believe the clarification was

Pretty close, wouldn't you say?

Well not really, considering what was stated right before that.

I have another idea. What about a Pokemon Kart, like Mario Kart. Sorta like Pokemon Dash but with more pkmn and more tracks.

There's also the fact that it's kind of hard to have more tracks the Pokemon Dash, what with the whole "track for every pokemon" thing.

Nukada

Kyogre Trainer
Well, BCVM can't be the only voice of reason here:

I propose that the only people that are permitted to actually post game ideas read through the following article, and put their ideas into a design document. If you don't end up looking for part 2, then you clearly have no want to actually have the game completed. It does not need to fit the exact rubric that the article writer gives, but you should be able to answer any and all questions about the game that anyone may have.

Yes, for my idea a few pages back, I do have a document, including details of every level, covering wilds, items on the ground, boss fights, and nearly everything else.

Unfortunately I currently lack the tools needed to make it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/the_anatomy_of_a_design_document_.php?page=2

Jkbrown94

Team Flora Leader
Dash came out nearly three years ago and the concept hasn't been seen or heard from since, which tells you a fair amount about how it sold and what people thought of it. Not to say that they couldn't do a similar title again in the future.

The Pokéthlon is sort of what you're asking for, isn't it?

Yeah thats sorta like it. by the way good point about dash.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Well, BCVM can't be the only voice of reason here:

I propose that the only people that are permitted to actually post game ideas read through the following article, and put their ideas into a design document. If you don't end up looking for part 2, then you clearly have no want to actually have the game completed. It does not need to fit the exact rubric that the article writer gives, but you should be able to answer any and all questions about the game that anyone may have.

Yes, for my idea a few pages back, I do have a document, including details of every level, covering wilds, items on the ground, boss fights, and nearly everything else.

Unfortunately I currently lack the tools needed to make it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/the_anatomy_of_a_design_document_.php?page=2

Well, this topic (last I checked anyways) is basically just people posting what they would like to see, and other people commenting on the idea.

So I really don't see why people would have to go the extra miles and post a whole document on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.