• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Games As DSiWare...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legger

Johto PKMN Champion
It isn't true at all, but wouldn't it make sense to release the Pokemon games, especially the ones from the 3rd Gen, over the DSiWare. The other games from Gameboy color could be there just for Nintendo to earn a couple bucks, just like all of the old games you can download over Wiiware.

Since they totally threw out the whole extra GBA slot on the DSi, these games could be used for Pal Park and other sorts so people with DSi's and Pokemon can take full advantage of the games. I think it would work out great for Nintendo because they could easily earn a couple extra bucks.

BCVM22

They would have no connectivity with the Pal Park system. The DS titles are programmed to look for data from the GBA slot for such functions; they have no instructions within them to check for anything else nor would they have the capability for such things.

If someone made a DSi their only DS system despite knowing that they intended to use the dual-slot function, it's their fault and no one else's.

Legger

Johto PKMN Champion
Is that hypothetically guessing, or is it a common fact that the Pokemon Games will be incapable of having communication with DSiWare in the near future?

I think its quite possible, and I don't think anyone could really tell or not unless they went down and tore the Pokemon Game's coding apart.

Anyways, still the fact of having those old games on the DSi is fun enough in its self.

BCVM22

It's a very best guess based on what little I know of programming and lots of common sense. Pal Park is designed to be filled with six Pokémon taken from a GBA cartridge; no GBA cartridge (or GBA cartridge slot), no Pal Park use. Again, the DS titles would have to be pre-programmed to also accept data from what is a whole game stored in the DSi's internal memory. See below for the answer to that.

How do you think we find out every little detail about a game as soon as it gets released to the public? People have torn down the games - all five of them - right down to the very last line of code. Guess what's not found, mentioned or hinted at anywhere, in any game?

And then putting aside the tech aspect of it for a minute, the DSi's been out for a year and the HG/SS hype train has come and gone. If they have something like what you suggest waiting in the wings, what do you believe they're waiting for?

BCVM22

Except that neither Nintendo nor any developer under their auspices has ever updated a pressed game after-market for purposes of adding extra game content (mention the Berry Glitch or Ranch and you'll only prove you didn't read) and even if they picked this very moment to start, again, when the code of HG/SS was laid bare two weeks ago, an option or a "switch" or a gap in the code to accommodate an update of that nature would have been found.

Seriously - when I say "it's not going to happen and here's why...", I'm not just pulling it out of my keister nor am I making it up as I go. Can we let it go now?

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
It probably will happen eventually. Maybe have a update here and there. But doubt Pal Park connectivity.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
If a Virtual Console were to happen for the DSi, it would just be for spin off games, not main games

Rannoyin

sing your story
I can see a Pokemon Snap like game for it. Since the creators were interested in the camera in one interview.

BCVM22

Which raises the question: how would external cameras feature in a game that has you taking photos of virtual creatures in video game-land?

Rannoyin

sing your story
Which raises the question: how would external cameras feature in a game that has you taking photos of virtual creatures in video game-land?

No idea. That's the question I had when reading the interview. ;D

abgar

Fufufufu

Link

A game for the DSi ware already uses the DSi camera, in a very poor way, but it does.

If a "pokemon snap" game were to be released for the DSiWare, it would probably be like that none, but that would be a total waste of code.

Also, they could just modify the GBA games to "emulate" a GBA slot, but making a full GBA (if they ever put a virtual console in the DSi) game for DSiWare is kind of far from happening, and it would be confusing for the DS games, i mean, what if you have 2 or more Pokemon GBA games in the same DSi?

A pokemon storage DSiWare would be great though.

Last edited:

BCVM22

If a "pokemon snap" game were to be released for the DSiWare, it would probably be like that none, but that would be a total waste of code.

Nintendo is usually more protective of the brands and titles under its auspices than that and at the very least, I believe that if a glorified photo editor like that were to be slapped with the Pokémon license, they would, at the very least, not call it "Pokémon Snap". That's just me, though.

abgar

Fufufufu
Nintendo is usually more protective of the brands and titles under its auspices than that and at the very least, I believe that if a glorified photo editor like that were to be slapped with the Pokémon license, they would, at the very least, not call it "Pokémon Snap". That's just me, though.

:-/ If they ever wanted to make a DSiWare pokemon game, with snaps included, it would need to have very low quality 3D models and textures and places, or very few good models and textures, or something... If they wanted to make a Portable Pokemon Snap game it would need to be a retail game, or a download in "chapters" (like, a course for each chapter, and making a WiiWare Mysterious Dungeon-like thing to connect them all).

To make use of the DSi camera, the only way i can think of is making a "my sims camera" thing, where you place models in the screen as a decoration for you photos. :-/, though, if that were a stand alone game/download, they wouldnt likely call that a pokemon snap, like you say.

Anyways, thats if they -ever- wanted to sell us a portable pokemon snap.

If it were my choice i would think making a storage game (there i go again), Thats way more feasible for a DSiWare... well but thats just me, too

Last edited:

KyleRhea

Avid Collector
Could be a great platform for a new Pokémon Pinball? Based on D&P or HG&SS?
I'm actually dying to see those games made! Why did they ever stop?

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
3th gen GBA games on the DSi? i hardly doubt that. however old gameboy (color) games would be perfect for it, they are small in size and sell hardly these days, with an update they can once more earn nintendo some cash.

ijea4444

I could see this working with future games though. I don't see RSEFRLG becoming dsiware games. I can see however RBYG/GSE games becoming DSi ware.

dujiakejka

They would have no connectivity with the Pal Park system. The DS titles are programmed to look for data from the GBA slot for such functions; they have no instructions within them to check for anything else nor would they have the capability for such things.

If someone made a DSi their only DS system despite knowing that they intended to use the dual-slot function, it's their fault and no one else's.

Oh man, this game is pretty sweet. Why can't more games have cutscenes that you want to see more of?

Status
Not open for further replies.