• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Gen 8's Online functionality (Battles, Trading, Pokemon Bank, Infrastructure, Friends)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So Nintendo wants to ramp up there online gaming to make the Nintendo Network worth the extra fee. To do that they need more than quantity, they need quality that can be big enough to lead to e-sports. To get that quality, they need a healthy player pool on a monthly basis and to get that healthy player pool, you need great online functionality. For Pokemon's case, great easy access and infrastructure to Pokemon Battles, Trading, Pokemon Bank that sort of thing. Maybe you want to include other features like online functionality for minigames, ranging from Pokemon Stadium's minigames to Pokemon Contests or Pokleathlon to show off those medals or ribbons to people. Heck! The medals or ribbons are actually the closest thing Pokemon has to an achievement system. However most importantly, they need easy access to friending or listing players in there VIP list. Gen 6 excelled in this area through the PSS system while Gen 7 failed through the Festival Plaza, which is loaded with online issues. The online infrastructure of Gen 7's Festival Plaza, a great idea but poorly executed, is horrible compared to the PSS system, preventing many players who wanted to "friended" friends or strangers for future battles or trading as there VIP only to be told "registration failed" due to the fact that the list of guests constantly rotates preventing any guest, stranger or friend, being listed in the VIP list if they are not on the current rotation whereas the PSS system made friending people practically instantaneous.

So from a creative and technical perspective, what do you want for Pokemon's Online Functionality?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I just want it to work properly. Hack-checks that actually work. A GTS that actually works without being flooded with requests for illegal combinations and where you can actually filter based on criteria like forms or ability, where you can request pokémon with certain forms or abilities and with certain hold items. Forms are not important for all pokémon (Oricorio and Rotom for instance are easily switched) but for some like Lycanroc and Alolan forms it is important. A battle spot with more options like 6v6 battles (both singles and doubles) and rated Battle Royal if Battle Royal returns. More official PGL tournaments instead of only one per month. And I hope they'll upgrade their servers. Needing close to a minute just to connect to the internet is absurd.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
A GTS that actually works without being flooded with requests for illegal combinations.
These were the worst. I stopped using the GTS purely because of how many of these there were. An option to be able to hide them so you wouldn’t see them ever again would be nice but I highly doubt it will happen. A report trade function would be good as well but I can see trolls abusing that sort of thing and reporting fair and legitimate trades so doubt that will happen either.

As for what I want. I just want communication to be simple like the PSS and to be able to connect online while playing the game. No more of this Plaza garbage.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Both the PSS and the Plaza had things I liked. I want Gen 8's online features to include persistent online connectivity like PSS had. I also want it to have more purposes and things to do with other players than PSS had. The Plaza was a step (yes, just a step) in that direction with missions and Global Missions

MiloticTwins

Do you guys think that I will be able transport Pokémon Gen 7 games to Gen 8 games, but only with required connection the Nintendo 3DS to the Nintendo Switch? If not, why not.

BCVM22

No. That's precisely why Bank exists. Generation VII > Bank > Generation VIII.

It is unlikely your 3DS and your Switch will ever talk to one another, though I imagine the hardware could if needed.

DSDark

Breeder
Do you guys think that I will be able transport Pokémon Gen 7 games to Gen 8 games, but only with required connection the Nintendo 3DS to the Nintendo Switch? If not, why not.

Definitely no. The Switch and 3DS don't communicate, as BCWM22 said that's why we have the bank

More then likely you'll have a switch pokemon bank app to download. Pokemon bank will accesses your nintendo account, brings up the cloud save of your bank. Reads that you have pokemon switch on your switch and lets your pull your pokemon from the bank to your pokemon switch game.

Just like from Gen VI to VII.

Sulfurian

I mean they've said that bank is supposed to be a permanent edition to the franchise since gen 6. Though I guess with the cloud storage it achieves the same thing with a different name.