• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon gender differences

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
Now that platinum is has been announced i was thinking about the fact that they should give all pokemon gender differences, I was very disspointed that in diamond and pearl they only gave a small amount of the pokemon differences.
So please post your ideas about what differences male and female pokemon should have!

I'll start.

Char line - Males should have bigger flames and/or longer tails
Pidgey line - males should have longer tails and bigger crests
Eevee lines - females should have larger ears and/or bigger tails

Larry

That would be aot of work to make all of those gender differences...

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
Female Gardevoir and Lucarios need Boobies.

Thats all I can think of.

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
That would be aot of work to make all of those gender differences...

Yeah it's ashame really, I always thought that because Nintendo are always increasing the capacity of their game cards Gamefreak would be able to put all of the gender differences in there despite how long it would take to make them.

ArchangelUnmei

Shiny Cottonball!
Yeah, I was really disappointed that only a few Pokemon had the gender differences in DP. Why do any if you're not going to do them all?

Ekans and Arbok could have different patterns
Zigzagoon and Linoone could have different number of/pattern of stripes
I always thought male Bellossom looked odd with flowers on its head, so maybe the male could have leaves or buds instead?

PDL

disenchanted
I always thought that female Stantler should have smaller horns.

Real reindeer/caribou have no such difference.

I always thought male Bellossom looked odd with flowers on its head, so maybe the male could have leaves or buds instead?

That's a terrible suggestion since most flowers have both "male" and "female" parts to them.

The current gender differences are fine the way they are right now. Do male eevees even need bigger ears and tails? why so?

Profesco

gone gently
You guys ought to discuss Torchic's gender difference.

eevee-me

Mayness Yayness!
Gender differences are a waste of programming. They're only there for decoration.

Isn't it fair to say that the 3rd game of every gen is pretty much full of little decoration bits? I kinda thought it was the point of them.

P. Ditto

Resident Ditto
Gender differences are a waste of programming. They're only there for decoration.

Ditto. They can do much more resourceful things. Besides, breeding is the main reason behind genders.

Oh, and to the guy who said Female Gardevoir and Lucario needs boobies has dropped my expectations for humanity.

Kacho

You are next.
I thought for one thing majority of bird pokemon should have different sounds and different brightness of feathers. In the end, it is the colors and sounds that differentiates the birds, right?

and a selection of female pokemon should ave duller furs and feathers while the male ones should have brighter colros to attract foes..

kasmeargy

Oh, and to the guy who said Female Gardevoir and Lucario needs boobies has dropped my expectations for humanity.

I'm with you there. Anyway, not all species need gender differences. Some species would be hard to design differences for anyway.

Isn't it fair to say that the 3rd game of every gen is pretty much full of little decoration bits? I kinda thought it was the point of them.

The point of them is to make Nintendo another million dollars by adding small extras and marketing them as exciting and new. Needless to say, it really works.

P. Ditto: YES LUCARIO NEEDS HUMPS SOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD.

PsychicPsycho

When I first saw this topic, it reminded me of when I thought that gender specified the stats of a pokemon, at least in part. I used to think that females had more HP & Defense and that males had higher Attack. It's not really something that I'd want though.

Anyway, as for aesthetic differences, they're not really a big deal to me. It's kind of a neat little detail. I would prefer that the differences were more pronounced, though. Sometimes when there's supposed to be a difference, it's not really apparent. Maybe instead of doing something subtle, they could change something obvious, like the pokemon's picture. Maybe for females, they could have the pokemon look more relaxed, while for males they'd have the pokemon look more aggressive.

Dragonfree

Just me
Oh, come on. I thought the implementation of gender differences was awesome in every possible way.

- Not every Pokémon has gender differences. Yes, I liked this. Not all animals show significant gender dimorphism. Can you tell whether a cat or dog is male or female at a glance? No? Creating gender differences for the sake of making something up for every Pokémon would defeat the point - they were added to make them feel more real as creatures.
- The gender differences are realistic. Female Stantler don't have smaller horns because female reindeer also have horns. Female bugs have larger abdomens. Male flowers are just as flowery as the females. They are not edited to look more 'girly' when female or more 'macho' when male (well, aside from Wobbuffet, but that one is obviously a joke). There is real thought to many of them, unlike the suggestion that male Charizard should randomly have longer tails or female Eevee longer ears. Why would they? Sure, some Pokémon have more random differences, but that's just a few.
- Specifically, the Machop and Ralts families were NOT given gender differences. I loved this; they had the guts to say, "**** you people. They're nonhuman creatures and it's your problem if you're applying human gender stereotypes to them. Deal with it."

I like the gender differences just the way they are. Honestly, I'd be disappointed if they introduced gender differences for all Pokémon.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
- Specifically, the Machop and Ralts families were NOT given gender differences. I loved this; they had the guts to say, "**** you people. They're nonhuman creatures and it's your problem if you're applying human gender stereotypes to them. Deal with it."

I don't think that was quite it... see, pokemon is marketed as a kid's game so... giving them human like gender diffrences would probably have caused a parent riot at least in America...

The gender differences are fine the way they are right now, I can't even be bothered to tell most of the current ones apart until someone points it out to me. Except for the most obvious one such as Hippowdon.