• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Gender

Exxthus

Head AlwaysHeld High
I'd heard that gender affected stats in Gen II. It doesn't anymore, I know, but I am curious as to whether or not people had/have a gender preference. I had a friend who only liked to raise male Pokemon. Though I don't really mind what gender they are, do any of you prefer raising one gender over the other?

NotChip

®™
Although I'm not really bothered, I would actually say male because when ever I nick name a Pokemon it's because I have a cool "male" name to give it.

I.E:
Banjo = Ursaring
Edward = Scizor
etc.....

Pokemanyak

Little VoltTackler
I don't mind genders that much. But male Pokes are better than female ones. They can pass egg moves to the babies

i'mblue92

water lover
I always tried to get as many females as possible in gen. 2 because of Whitney's Miltank's evil Attract/Rollout combo. I never heard that gender made a difference it stats though. Now, it doesn't matter that much except for Hippowdon (the male form looks way better IMO.)

I used to have most/all females on my team, but now I have an even number of each. I try to get a female starter at the beginning of the game cause it's easy to reset then. But for wild Pokes I catch, it really doesn't matter (except I refused to catch a female Heatran).

iluvwobbuffet

WOBBBUFFFFFET!!! XD
It sometimes depends on the Pokemon, but I prefer females most of the time.

Girl power!

=^_^=

I'd heard that gender affected stats in Gen II. It doesn't anymore...

Wait- how exactly did this work?

Anyway... I pick whatever gender I feel the specific pokemon should have. For instance, I think that Slowbro, Rhydon, and Typhlosion are masculine looking pokemon so I'd want the ones I use to be male, and Clefable, Meganium, and Sneasel are more feminine looking so I'd prefer females of those.

skarmory227

<:(00){ <--fish!
I prefered female pokemon. I really don't know why. I always thought the pokemon designers had some logic to give the better stats to females as they can't pass egg moves. Now that I think of it, that was a stupid thought.

IchirakuRamen

That guy with a hat.
Honestly I go towards males more than females but when it comes to hatched ones I just want the right nature and IV's, it really doesn't matter to me

calvin_0

Gardevoir Lover
well i perfer a gender that is suitable for that particular pokemon, like Marchamp, its always have to be male with me same thing with Gardevoir, always a female.

Matty_G33

Wi-fi Trader
Usually I'll hatch eggs and/or catch Pokemon untill I get a male with the right nature, or using a Pokemon that looks better than the female's sprite. However, sometimes I'll use female, when I've hatched too many eggs or am using a female only Pokemon (like Miltank, Blissey), or when it sounds "suitable".

voltianqueen

Fire and Lightning!
I usually don't prefer one gender over the other, unless I'm giving it some sort of nickname or something like that. My friend raises only females (except for his shiny Swellow, he couldn't pass that up) because he insists that Pokemon of the opposite gender of your character will grow stronger and have better stats. I said whatever and beat the crap out of his Rayquaza and Milotic with my FEMALE (same gender, here) Salamence and Tyranitar. :)

He is still upset about the loss, lol.