• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon GleamingGold and ShiningSilver

ga'hoolefan

Feathered Dino Lover
What is this, you may ask? Well, a couple years back, I started a fic called Pokemon Brown Version. I was but a n00b then, and I feel as if my skill has improved enough to be able to post this here. I actually started writing this for my friends. This is just what it seems: a retelling of the Johto and Kanto arcs. However, I am going to go beyond that, including such Pokemon as Honchkrow, Deoxys, and more (possibly even including some sixth generation Pokemon that evolve from those found in Johto and Kanto, such as Sylveon). I'm also going to include movesets from the fifth generation and eventually the sixth.This fic will be rated PG. Also, I may not update incredibly frequently, as I only have limited access to computers at the moment, so bear with me, okay? So, without further ado, I give you:

Pokemon GleamingGold and ShiningSilver

Chapter One: The Journey Begins!

We start our story off with a boy named Jon. He was a youth of about thirteen, from the town of New Bark, in the Johto region. Jon was about thirteen, and characterized by his backwards-pointing yellow and gray hat, his red jacket, and his love for Pokemon. What are Pokemon? They’re strange creatures with even stranger powers. Some are like plants, others animals, and even some like inanimate objects. Pokemon are often used in competitions, called “battles.” Jon, of course, was about to embark on an epic journey through the world of Pokemon. He had one already: a Pikachu, or a yellow mouse Pokemon with electric abilities. It had evolved, or matured, from a previous form, Pichu. In the Johto region, as well as in various other locales around the Pokemon world, it is customary for children to embark on what is known as a Pokemon journey. It is just before one of these that we begin our tale.

Jon yawned loudly, then opened his eyes. He was still pretty tired, but when he glanced at the clock opposite his bed, he leapt up. It was already nine thirty, and Professor Elm, one of the smartest people in all Johto, had requested his presence at ten! Jon pulled his red coat and bag off of the chair near his desk. Jon’s Pikachu, hearing the noise, sat up, sparks emanating from his cheeks.

“Relax, Sparky, it’s just me,” Jon said with a smile, and the electric mouse calmed down. Jon extended his arm, and Sparky used it to climb up onto his shoulder. Jon then walked downstairs, where his mother had breakfast waiting on the table. It was delicious, with berry salad for Jon and Pokemon kibble for Sparky the Pikachu.

As the duo were chowing down, Jon’s mother approached him with an object. It was shaped vaguely like an outdated cell phone, with two circles on either side of an elongated rectangular structure. It clipped right onto Jon’s wrist. “Here you are, dear. Your Pokegear returned from the shop today! You know how it works: phone, radio, and map.”

“Hey, thanks!” Jon said, and clipped the thing to his wrist. He then stood up, his Pikachu on the floor beside him. “I’ll be seeing you later, then!” he called to his mother, who waved goodbye. Jon and his Pikachu pal then walked out the door, and into their Johto adventure.

When Jon walked outside, he was hit with a bright sunlight typical of the Johto region. The town of New Bark was a small one, with very few homes and fewer facilities such as schools, hospitals, etc. The city was surrounded by trees with Pokemon in them, and an oceanic route was to the east of the city. To the west was a grassy route, which all Trainers from New Bark had to go through as their journey began.

As soon as he and Sparky walked outside, Jon collided with a small blue pokemon. It was reminiscent of a mouse, albeit one with a zig-zagging tail and a blue orb at the end. The Pokemon, upon collision, fell onto its rump and looked around, confused. It then spotted a girl about Jon’s age coming from the next-door building. She was wearing a red shirt and what appeared to be a combination of overalls and short-shorts. She also had a large white had bearing a bow. Jon knew her as Lyra, one of his only friends in New Bark.

“Hey! Maril!” Lyra called. “Apologize to Jon!” Marill bowed to Jon, then ran back to its Trainer. “I’ll see you later, Jon!” Lyra called and Jon waved in return.

Jon flipped open his Pokegear to reveal that he had five minutes to get to Elm’s lab! Luckily, it was next door to his home, so Jon didn’t have to worry. He walked over to Elm’s lab and noticed something odd. A boy wearing all black and sporting long, red hair was looking into the building. Jon hadn’t seen him before, and knew that he was from out of the area.

When Jon walked up to him to make conversation, the boy muttered to himself, “So this is the famous Elm Pokemon lab...” When he noticed Jon walking towards him, the boy pushed him away, saying, “Hey! Get lost!”

Yeesh... Jon thought to himself, and then walked back around to the front of the building. Elm’s lab was actually a part of his house, with the lab being his entire lower floor. Because of this, Elm’s house was the biggest in New Bark. Jon walked inside. He was early, but that was better than being late, by his logic. Jon looked around inside the lab. It seemed bigger on the inside, though it had a staff of only two: Professor Elm, a tall, thin man with short stubble and a large lab coat, and his assistant, a fellow lab coat bearer with dark hair and thick glasses. However, collections of books and records lined the walls and were even put in shelves in the middle of the floor. Technology such as a Pokemon healing machine and a laptob were put in the back. It was clearly a haphazard place, as Prof. Elm was constantly running around, attending to various things, all the while trying to keep some books and notes lodged into his pockets.

As Jon and Sparky entered and took in their surroundings, the boy cleared his throat, so as to get the attention of the professor. When Elm heard this, he looked up from a bit of Pokemon research he was working on and greeted Jon. “Hey! There you are, Jon! I see you brought your Pikachu as well! Simply marvelous! As you can quite clearly see, I’m just about up to here,” Elm lifted his hand over his head, disrupting various objects in his pockets, “with research I need to get done. Studies on Pokemon phylogeny, the caudals of Noctowl, you name it. However, an acquaintance of mine, simply known as Mr. Pokemon, called me to notify me of a special discovery. He’s asking me to come to him, for some reason. As I’ve already explained, I can’t go. So, I’m going to ask you. That is why I’ve called you, after all. So, can you go?” He looked at Jon expectantly.

“Sure. I’ve got nothing planned at the moment,” Jon said. “How ‘bout you, Pikachu?”

“Gchyu!” Pikachu squeaked in agreement.

“Then it’s settled!” the Professor exclaimed. “Now, before I send you off, I’ve been hearing rumors of a crime syndicate called Team Rocket becoming more and more active lately. You already have a Pikachu, but that might not be enough if one of them attacks you. So, I’ve decided to give you one of these three Pokemon.” Elm gestured to a large machine that held three Poke Balls. “Go on, pick!”

Jon walked up to the machine. Through the translucent plastics of the Poke Balls, he could see three Pokemon: a bluish, bipedal alligator-like Pokemon, a dark blue and tan shrew-like Pokemon, and a light green Pokemon with a leaf on its head, this time resembling a baby dinosaur.

“These three Pokemon are some of the rarest of the world, with the only other known individuals being in the Hoenn region, under the ownership of Professor Birch, who only distributes them to Trainers who have completed the Hoenn Pokedex. I’ve also heard tell of them in the region of Orre, but I’ve never spoken with a colleague from that region, so I can’t verify. Anyhow, these Pokemon are: the Water-type Totodile, one who can grow to have Attack power stronger than a rushing river, the Fire-type Cyndaquil, who grows to have Special Attack power strong enough to melt through the strongest of metals, and the Grass-type Chikorita, who can have defenses stronger than trees! Whomever you choose will be your partner on your short quest to Mr. Pokemon’s house.”

Before he could finish, Jon cut him off. He knew just what he wanted. Jon snatched the Poke Ball with the Cyndaquil in it. He pressed the button on the side of the sphere, and, suddenly, Cyndaquil was on the lab floor.

“Well, Cyndaquil, I guess he’s chosen you. Take good care of him, all right?” At this last comment, Jon wasn’t sure who the professor was referring to, because while Elm was speaking, Cyndaquil shot flames out of its back. Jon jumped backwards, but came forward again when he saw that the fires were only in a small area over Cyndaquil’s back.

“I think I made the right choice here,” Jon said confidently, and extended his arm so Sparky could reach the floor. “Sparky, this is your new pal, Cyndaquil. Is it a girl or a boy Cyndaquil?” Jon turned to Elm with his question.”

“Ah, this is a rarer find still: a female Cyndaquil! I hope you take care of her on your quest to Mr. Pokemon’s house. Hey, why don’t I register in your Pokegear? If you get lost, you can call me!” Jon thought this was a good idea, so he handed the device over. Elm pushed a few buttons, and then handed the device back. “Now. To get to Mr. Pokemon’s house, you have to go east along Route 1 until you reach Cherrygrove City. It will be just north of there that you’ll find Mr. Pokemon’s house. Now, best of luck to you! I hate to rush, but Professor Juniper just sent me some new data from the Unova region! Ta-ta!”

With that, Jon picked up Pikachu. Cyndaquil seemed to want to walk alongside, so Jon let her. No reason not to, by his logic. Before he left the lab, Elm’s assistant handed him some Potions. “I figured you should have these. The Professor can be so absent-minded, he forgets to feed himself sometimes! Best of luck!”

Jon smiled and waved in thanks, and walked outside. Again, he took notice of the weather: bright sunlight, New Barkers going about their daily lives, and wild Pokemon in the wilderness beyond. To himself, he thought, Well, today’s a better day than any to start a journey. Let’s go!

Pokemon Data:

Pikachu male, “Sparky”

Level 5, Mild nature. Alert to sounds.
Ability: Lightningrod
Attacks: Tail Whip, ThunderShock, Growl

Cyndaquil female, no nickname
Level 5, Docile nature. Mischievous.
Ability: Blaze
Attacks: Leer, Tackle

Last edited: