• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I found multiple. So many, in fact, thay I actually passed on a couple of them so I could stay more focused on the star of the Festival, Magikarp.

I found loads of Magikarp, but sadly no shiny.

Rapiido

Found enough Totodile to get my Croconaw before it ended. So is the shiny Magikarp still a possibility? Or was it event-only.

Exsception

Born Completionist
Found enough Totodile to get my Croconaw before it ended. So is the shiny Magikarp still a possibility? Or was it event-only.

They're still out there. But there aren't many Magikarp now, so good luck finding one.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Today I went to a park that was around half hour drive from me because I saw it was suppose to have a nest for Cyndaquil. After two hours I had enough candy to get Typhlosion and I previously had no candy for it. I got one Exeggute as well which got me to 50 candy so I finally got that evolved. The park also had a level 9 Team Mystic Gym which I trained to make it level 10 and dropped off a 2500 CP Espeon.

Exsception

Born Completionist
Today I went to a park that was around half hour drive from me because I saw it was suppose to have a nest for Cyndaquil. After two hours I had enough candy to get Typhlosion and I previously had no candy for it. I got one Exeggute as well which got me to 50 candy so I finally got that evolved. The park also had a level 9 Team Mystic Gym which I trained to make it level 10 and dropped off a 2500 CP Espeon.

Nice. I don't get many Cyndaquil where I live, so I'm nowhere near getting a Typhlosion yet. Meganium and Feraligatr were easy, though.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I never have found a Totodile yet, even during the water event or Lapras for that matter. The only good thing that came from that event was enough Squirtle for Blastoise ( which I got trolled with bad moves ) and enough Omanyte candy to get Omastar.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I never have found a Totodile yet, even during the water event or Lapras for that matter. The only good thing that came from that event was enough Squirtle for Blastoise ( which I got trolled with bad moves ) and enough Omanyte candy to get Omastar.

I find Totodile, they're just difficult to catch for me for some reason. The one Lapras I saw was in a closed park at night and I didn't want to get arrested, so I had to leave it (rip the only Lapras silhouette I've seen so far). If anything, I'm trying to find a Cyndaquil, but I have a feeling I won't find one. Considering that the only way I found a Charmander was by having a Charmander nest near me, I may just have to get lucky with an egg or nest rotation.

On the bright side, however, I managed to get my very first Shellder and Seel from the Water Festival! Now I can just walk with them to get more candy!

Exsception

Born Completionist
I found this beauty at my house just now. Finally, some bragging rights!
Screenshot_2017-04-03-12-20-41.jpg

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If you ask me, the most annoying thing about this game right now is that you can spend 20 minutes or more prestiging up an allied gym, only to have someone else from your team swoop in in the last two minutes, prestige it up themselves, and then snag the spot before you can, rendering all the work you just put in completely useless. I just had it happen to me yet again today, and I'm getting really fed up. I know there's not really any way that Niantic could fix this, but I just wish that people would have a little more respect for their fellow players. If prestiging weren't so difficult, it wouldn't matter so much, but as it is, it sucks.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
If you ask me, the most annoying thing about this game right now is that you can spend 20 minutes or more prestiging up an allied gym, only to have someone else from your team swoop in in the last two minutes, prestige it up themselves, and then snag the spot before you can, rendering all the work you just put in completely useless. I just had it happen to me yet again today, and I'm getting really fed up. I know there's not really any way that Niantic could fix this, but I just wish that people would have a little more respect for their fellow players. If prestiging weren't so difficult, it wouldn't matter so much, but as it is, it sucks.

I have that problem as well. It's helpful in that I'm able get my friends in the gym, but it sucks to put all that battery life into building up a gym just for someone to gym snipe.

Vipsoccermaster

I have that problem as well. It's helpful in that I'm able get my friends in the gym, but it sucks to put all that battery life into building up a gym just for someone to gym snipe.
Don't players working to prestige the gym get priority first? Or it's possible that your fellow teammates are working to prestige the gym faster than you can?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Don't players working to prestige the gym get priority first? Or it's possible that your fellow teammates are working to prestige the gym faster than you can?

Anyone from any team that helps bring down a gym have priority for a set amount of time. If it's just building prestige for your own gym, however, there's no priority.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

When it comes to prestiging your own gym, there is no priority. And even if there were priority, it wouldn't make a difference. I could be prestiging a gym for half an hour, get it so it's 200 prestige away from leveling up, go in to fight it one more time, and have someone else on my team start prestiging it at that moment too and get a Pokemon in before I can. Technically they were prestiging the gym too, so a priority system wouldn't stop this. It only works with attacks on enemy gyms because it's relatively easy to knock down an opponent's level 2 gym if they manage to beat it before you do. But prestiging is so much more ridiculously harder than attacking, that if someone from your own team takes your spot, your only options are to give up, or go on for another half an hour, or more if the gym is now above level 7.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
According to certain sources, Pokémon GO activity has dropped by more than 80% since its peak last August.

According to IGN, an average of 65 million users log in every month worldwide. However, it also reported the game having over 650 million downloads. This would reflect a 10:1 activity ratio, which is rather discouraging.

For me, I was rather excited to play the game, hoping the lack of PVP battling wouldn't be much of a detriment, but after only a week of playing, catching pokemon quickly became stale, and the absence of PVP battling became more and more noticeable. I see now my initial sentiment may have been valid. Niantic may have made a poor choice by making catching pokemon the major focus. If anything, their one true flaw was not allowing players to battle each other. This is what I was looking forward to (not to mentioned it is what the trailers advertised), and yet it never came.

Perhaps in the future it will be implemented.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
According to certain sources, Pokémon GO activity has dropped by more than 80% since its peak last August.

According to IGN, an average of 65 million users log in every month worldwide. However, it also reported the game having over 650 million downloads. This would reflect a 10:1 activity ratio, which is rather discouraging.

It really isn't anything to worry about. Pokemon Go is still consistently one of the most used and highest grossing apps out there, even with the major drop-off in players. The game may not be a phenomenon like it was last summer any more, but it is still one of the most successful apps ever created.

For me, I was rather excited to play the game, hoping the lack of PVP battling wouldn't be much of a detriment, but after only a week of playing, catching pokemon quickly became stale, and the absence of PVP battling became more and more noticeable. I see now my initial sentiment may have been valid. Niantic may have made a poor choice by making catching pokemon the major focus. If anything, their one true flaw was not allowing players to battle each other. This is what I was looking forward to (not to mentioned it is what the trailers advertised), and yet it never came.

Maybe this is just me, but player vs. player is extremely low on my list of priorities for this game. Beyond fighting a friend once or twice to test out the system, I would probably never use it again. I'd much rather Niantic work on making what's already in the game better than adding new features like that.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the trailers never advertised player vs player battles. They showed off trading and major events to catch Legendary Pokemon, either which we still don't have, but nothing about battles.

Exsception

Born Completionist

I'm fairly certain Niantic has stated somewhere that they're working on both pvp battling and trading. They were supposed to be features at launch, but they didn't make it in time.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It really isn't anything to worry about. Pokemon Go is still consistently one of the most used and highest grossing apps out there, even with the major drop-off in players. The game may not be a phenomenon like it was last summer any more, but it is still one of the most successful apps ever created.

True, but given the game is designed to be community-based, its usage is not as strong as it could be.

I'm certain there are niches of fans throughout any given country, however, which would hold the game's intended communities. Nevertheless, if its usage continues to drop as steadily and steeply as it has been, Niantic could find itself ending the game. I do get your point, though. If the majority of regular users are fine with the catching aspect alone, it would be a waste of money and resources to incorporate PvP battling. It would still be nice to have, though.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Man, why do people keep going on about the drop in sales? Like, if you said the game had 65 million users, that's still a decent audience without looking at th 650 million part. The thing to keep in mind is that last summer was more or less a fluke. GO's popularity came right out of nowhere, so of course there's going to be a drop before it plateaus. Considering the fact that there are still people posting about the game (sure, it's slowed down here, but Reddit and other forums are still going strong), I don't think the game will lose enough players to be shut down anytime soon. Sure, it'll still have a niche of players, but ... it's a side game. Of course it would. PMD games, Conquest, even the GameCube games still have people buying and playing copies, even though they're not as popular as the main series. It's really odd that people still insist on examining GO through the same lens as they do the main series.

That said, though, it's true that one of the features of the game is its community, but I think it's also important to keep in mind that approaching the game is rather ... tricky at best. See, it's actually a walking and exploration game, not so much a battling game, which is why the focus is on catching Pokémon and visiting stops. I know the teams are supposed to be an analog to the factions of Ingress (Niantic's other game), which actually are the main focus of that game, but Pokémon battling is a lot slower than using Ingress's weaponry, as evidenced by how long it takes to take out a gym (which forces you to battle each Pokémon one by one) as opposed to a portal (where you can take out eight resonators at once). That and the lack of in-game communication options in GO make me think you're not really supposed to talk to your other team members.

Idk, point is, I feel like Niantic did things this way because it's simply easier to pay attention to the world around you and explore your neighborhood if you have simple tasks to complete, as opposed to something as complicated as battling. And that's really what it comes down to: Niantic's focus is creating games to make you explore your world, and interacting with other players tends to be a secondary perk. Which is a shame because in Ingress, they're of equal value, but hey.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Man, why do people keep going on about the drop in sales? Like, if you said the game had 65 million users, that's still a decent audience without looking at th 650 million part.

Honestly, that sounds like, "I'm just gonna focus on this one big number and ignore the bigger number that reveals how small the first number really is." Basically, you're coming off as willfully blind.

For the record, this isn't about a drop in sales (considering the app is free). This is about a drop in activity, which matters a great deal for mobile gaming. Most console video games are not intended to be played everyday for several years, which is why a drop in activity in Mystery Dungeon is okay. It is expected. Such is not the case for mobile gaming, and as a Pokémon fan, a drop this steep bothers me, as it could predetermine the fate of future mobile games and other ventures within the franchise, particularly if the drop continues.

Idk, point is, I feel like Niantic did things this way because it's simply easier to pay attention to the world around you and explore your neighborhood if you have simple tasks to complete, as opposed to something as complicated as battling. And that's really what it comes down to: Niantic's focus is creating games to make you explore your world, and interacting with other players tends to be a secondary perk. Which is a shame because in Ingress, they're of equal value, but hey.

You see, the difference between Pokémon GO and the main games is that the main games were always single-play at heart. Sure, we have PSS and local wireless, but they're added extras, not the major focus. With Pokémon GO, there lies the potential to have a game where battling requires seeking a community. You have to go out into the world - as you stated - and find opponents to battle; it would require the same amount of physical activity as catching pokemon, if not more. Personally, I consider it a huge missed opportunity.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Kind of changing the subject- what's the most common Pokemon that you see?
For me it's-
Most Common: (not counting Rattata, Sentret, Hoothoot, or Pidgey)
-Natu
-Paras
-Spinarak
-Wooper
-Murkrow
-Meowth
-Ledyba
-Nidoran male and female
-Psyduck

Water and grass starters are fairly common as well, but fire types are almost non existent wherever I go. I never see Seel or Shellder either.