• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Bus

Frankly I think it was luck because near the end of the Dratini Community Day it changed to Cloudy and sometime in the middle of the Bulbasaur Community Day it changed to Partly Cloudy, but a while later it went back to Cloudy.

I'd really love it if they just changed the weather for the day in general to a type-matching weather boost. Not only would it boost the Community Day Pokemon's CP, but it could also give players a chance to have a weather they rarely would get like Snowy for really hot regions and Foggy just... in general.

Yeah, that would be nice. I feel like it should just be on a random rotation instead of trying to adhere to the weather for the region. As it is, more than half the time its pouring by me, the weather just shows 'Cloudy'. It was raining so hard I couldn't see out my window a couple weeks ago and there was a castform outside my house, but because the game refused to acknowledge the weather, it kept its 'base' form instead of taking on Rainy form.

Vipsoccermaster

The exclusive move for Mareep has been announced. When evolved from Flaffy to Ampharos during Community Day hours, it will learn Dragon Pulse. Doesn't appear to be favorable among the community, however.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
My prediction is that Dragon Pulse will be the Ampharos exclusive move. Here's fingers crossed to maybe they'll introduce Mega Ampharos. Not holding my breath but.... Who knows!

Ha, called it on page 54! At least the Dragon Pulse part. And look at all the doubters :p

I highly doubt we'll be getting Mega Evolutions any time soon. How would it even work in Pokémon Go? They can't even get normal form changes working. An without Mega Ampharos, there's zero reason for Ampharos to get Dragon Pulse.
This is why you should always listen to the Poke Master. Don't try to outsmart me ;) :p

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah, I can't really get behind this event move at all. Literally the only reason that Ampharos can learn Dragon Pulse is so that it can have a Dragon-Type STAB move for its inexplicably typed Dragon-Type Mega Evolution. Without that context there is no reason at all for Ampharos to have this move. Just chalk this one up to being another time that Niantic has shown they have no care for the lore of Pokémon.

Now, I'll admit that given Ampharis' history, this was a fairly obvious choice for an event move, as Ampharos doesn't really have any real options for special moves like Pikachu, Dratini, and Starter Pokémon do, but that just goes to show that Mareep just wasn't a good choice for a Community Day Pokémon.

This is why you should always listen to the Poke Master. Don't try to outsmart me ;) :p

We're still not getting Mega Ampharos though, and that was the main point of the post I made.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
but that just goes to show that Mareep just wasn't a good choice for a Community Day Pokémon.
Despite the fact Mareep is a very rare Pokemon in general and Ampharos is quite strong itself.

Community Day Pokemon don't need to have some special move to give players incentive to go and catch them.

Mareep was a good choice for Community Day. Dragon Pulse isn't a terrible move in PoGo either, and when we eventually get Megas in Gen 6, you'll have a good Ampharos to use as Mega.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
My prediction is that Dragon Pulse will be the Ampharos exclusive move. Here's fingers crossed to maybe they'll introduce Mega Ampharos. Not holding my breath but.... Who knows!

I highly doubt we'll be getting Mega Evolutions any time soon. How would it even work in Pokémon Go? They can't even get normal form changes working. An without Mega Ampharos, there's zero reason for Ampharos to get Dragon Pulse.

Somebody give Cyclone a silver cookie! Dragon Pulse is the move that Ampharos will learn upon evolution come Community Day. Makes sense, considering that Ampharos' name in Japanese translates roughly to electric dragon or something, but hey, congrats again!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Despite the fact Mareep is a very rare Pokemon in general and Ampharos is quite strong itself.

Community Day Pokemon don't need to have some special move to give players incentive to go and catch them.

It's not just the special move. The first three community days seem to make it about a combination of the rarity, special move, and popularity, with the popularity playing an especially large role. Pikachu, Dratini, and Bulbasaur are all icons, Mareep, not so much. Combine that with the lack of an actual special move, and Mareep just doesn't measure up to the rest. Maybe that wasn't Niantic's original intention, but that's sure what it seemed like.

Makes sense, considering that Ampharos' name in Japanese translates roughly to electric dragon or something, but hey, congrats again!

Correction, it means electric current, and happens to sound like electric dragon, so someone at Game freak thought it would be a good idea to base the entire concept of a Mega Ampharos around the one untranslatable pun. Sorry, guess I'm still a little bitter about that one.

I can't figure out why you quoted me, but in case it wasn't clear, I still stand by that original statement.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
It's not just the special move. The first three community days seem to make it about a combination of the rarity, special move, and popularity, with the popularity playing an especially large role. Pikachu, Dratini, and Bulbasaur are all icons, Mareep, not so much. Combine that with the lack of an actual special move, and Mareep just doesn't measure up to the rest. Maybe that wasn't Niantic's original intention, but that's sure what it seemed like.
Pretty sure Community Day wasn't to focus on 'iconic' or 'popular' Pokemon, but more or less introduce a rare Pokemon to everyone worldwide for 3 hours(boosting it's spawns drastically) while boosting many other mechanics such as egg hatch rate, stardust gain, EXP gain, etc...

They probably throw in the shiny and special move to give very experienced players a reason to participate in catching the Pokemon. I know a lot of people would probably just take advantage of the other boosts community day brings along if shiny/special moves weren't part of the mini-event.

Also Dratini itself isn't really an icon either. Dragonite, maybe? I mean it's a popular Pokemon, sure, but an icon? Eh... Not really.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pretty sure Community Day wasn't to focus on 'iconic' or 'popular' Pokemon, but more or less introduce a rare Pokemon to everyone worldwide for 3 hours(boosting it's spawns drastically) while boosting many other mechanics such as egg hatch rate, stardust gain, EXP gain, etc...

Like I said, Mareep implies that that's the case, but you can't blame one for assuming what I thought was the case, given the first three choices.

Also Dratini itself isn't really an icon either. Dragonite, maybe? I mean it's a popular Pokemon, sure, but an icon? Eh... Not really.

Dragonite is certainly iconic. Very few non-starter, non-Legendary Gen I (or II or III for that matter) Pokémon are as well known as it. And obviously they're not going to do an event where you're catching wild Dragonite left and right. Dratini gets the iconic status by association with Dragonite.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Like I said, Mareep implies that that's the case, but you can't blame one for assuming what I thought was the case, given the first three choices.

Dragonite is certainly iconic. Very few non-starter, non-Legendary Gen I (or II or III for that matter) Pokémon are as well known as it. And obviously they're not going to do an event where you're catching wild Dragonite left and right. Dratini gets the iconic status by association with Dragonite.
Well, no, of course not. I never said it was foolish to think that were the case. I'd assumed they had themed them based on the respective month.(January = First Month, therefore they went with Pikachu being the mascot. February = Valentines, Dratini's shiny was pink and fitting. March = Bulbasaur for the first day of Spring + St. Patty's.) Which was honestly way more of a wild assumption than yours. Though Mareep is an oddball, all the community days have in common right now is that each one has been a rare Pokemon in the game.

Dragonite is popular, not iconic. Iconic is among those of Mewtwo, Charizard, Pikachu, Snorlax, Lucario, etc... Dragonite is a really popular Pokemon, but it's honestly not one of the 'iconic' Pokemon. It's closer than most I'll admit.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's perhaps a little too late for "complete your Kanto dex" event, but it sounds interesting enough. Double candy is always nice. What it really comes down to is what species beyond the starters will be boosted.

EDIT: Just realized that this takes place during Community Day. So the already ridiculous amounts of Mareep candy will be doubled. Interesting. Why couldn't this happen during a useful one like Dratini? That would have been amazing.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It's perhaps a little too late for "complete your Kanto dex" event, but it sounds interesting enough. Double candy is always nice. What it really comes down to is what species beyond the starters will be boosted.

EDIT: Just realized that this takes place during Community Day. So the already ridiculous amounts of Mareep candy will be doubled. Interesting. Why couldn't this happen during a useful one like Dratini? That would have been amazing.

I still know some people that joined in relatively recently so I know this will be a big boon for them! At the very least, it might make the rarer Pokemon (Chansey, Snorlax, Lapras, Aerodactyl, etc) a little easier to track down, so I'm all for it. A lot of people in my raid group are theorizing about the wording of the message to believe that regionals might be available for the event, but honestly, I think it's wishful thinking. I'd love it, don't get me wrong, but with Farfetch'd being as difficult as it was to get, I don't think they'd give up the others that easily XD That's just me though.

And holy cannoli, the candy. Oh my gosh, the candy. I can't wait for that! Community Day is going to be pretty sweet!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I still know some people that joined in relatively recently so I know this will be a big boon for them!

Of course there are people like that. I'm just speaking from the perspective of a veteran player. You've got to think of both sides, not just one.

A lot of people in my raid group are theorizing about the wording of the message to believe that regionals might be available for the event, but honestly, I think it's wishful thinking. I'd love it, don't get me wrong, but with Farfetch'd being as difficult as it was to get, I don't think they'd give up the others that easily XD That's just me though.

Yeah, that would have been amazing,, but never had any real chance of happening.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I managed to catch my first Snorlax via an Incense! :D I know this event would spawn more Kanto Pokemon but I didn't expect a Snorlax to come out of nowhere from where I was at, heh. Mine has good stats with HP being the best and around 90o CP. Needless to say, I got excited about all this lol.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Of course there are people like that. I'm just speaking from the perspective of a veteran player. You've got to think of both sides, not just one.

I know XD I even talked about rare Kanto mons spawning in the previous post. Double candy is nothing to sneeze at either.

I managed to catch my first Snorlax via an Incense! :D I know this event would spawn more Kanto Pokemon but I didn't expect a Snorlax to come out of nowhere from where I was at, heh. Mine has good stats with HP being the best and around 90o CP. Needless to say, I got excited about all this lol.

Nice! I've only seen a handful of those so far. I think...7? Either way, awesome!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I know XD I even talked about rare Kanto mons spawning in the previous post. Double candy is nothing to sneeze at either.

I was kind of lumping those in with my comment about this being a little too late to be anything super-exciting. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore player, but I still have more of the random Kanto rare Pokémon than I need. Given, I may have only caught something like five or six Snorlax total, but once you get past three it's not really that exciting anymore.

The candy is certainly the best part of the event.

Wow, something good from an Incense? That's crazy!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Given the introduction of Alolan forms, I wonder if they will introduce Megas and held items for 2019 Spring.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Huh, this is interesting. Kind of wish they did this back when Sun and Moon first came out, or even Ultra Sun and Moon, as a tie-in, as this is pretty random timing. Still cool though.

I wonder how they'll handle the ones like Raichu and Marowak, which evolve from non-Alolan Form Pokémon.