• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Upon thinking about, my guess is that the Alolan Forms are meant to be this summer's big update to follow up last summer's gym overhaul.

I think that the Alola forms will only spawn in Hawaii.

I'll assume that's a joke.

In case it isn't, no continent has more than five regionals in any single place, and three of those five are shared with the world. There's no way they would suddenly introduce 18 regionals to a tiny island state. Niantic has made some questionable decisions in regards to regional Pokémon, but there's no way they're that dumb. Also, this is obviously a marketing ploy to keep people invested in the game while waiting for Sinnoh Pokémon, and adding them exclusively to Hawaii wouldn't even come close to doing that.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Awww...I was hoping for Ralts to be the community Pokémon. Well, the bonuses are good this time at least.

Can't say for sure, but it seems that they're only doing Kanto and Johto Pokémon for now, likely because Hoenn is too recent, and they (rightfully so) don't want to hand out the harder Hoenn Pokémon to get this early in its lifespan.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Had some nice luck today, finally got a Sunny Castform. Named it Sunshine. Evolved an Eevee into a Vaporeon. Hatched 3 eggs, got a Wailmer, Aron and a Swinub. Was able to evolve two Pokemon since I finally had enough candies. One of my Arons and one of my Swinubs. So now I have a Larion and a Piloswine. Also got done with some tasks, did two battles in a gym so they counted towards the one and two battles tasks respectively and got done with the hatching three eggs task. Moved up to level 23 as well.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow, that's two major events in one month two months in a row. I like this. And to think, at the beginning of the year I was afraid they had stopped doing even one major event per month in favor of all the mini-events.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Had some nice luck today. Got a metal coat and some items, also caught a Lileep.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
According to my local news, the whole incident with the "French Spiderman" thing that happened today was because the child's father was too busy playing Pokemon Go. I really hope he wasn't Team Instinct, 'cause we don't need the bad publicity. Also, don't neglect your children for a chance at catching a Larvitar. Moral of the day.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I can't believe it. We're getting another event? This is our fifth even in a row with little break in-between. Insanity. Not a bad thing, but crazy.

Though, there is one minor negative. It's been much harder to gather the necessary Pidgey/Caterpie/Weedle/Wurmple to do a Lucky Egg evolution session since we've been getting all these events. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I have done maybe half the evolution sessions that I would normally have done since the chain of events first started.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Surprised to see Shiny Weather Legends before Regis. I guess we need to wait until July for them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, after a day of the event, I have realized one flaw with this rapid-fire event thing Niantic has going on. This is the third event in the past two months to boost Magikarp, the other two being the Kanto event and the Earth Day Event. It's also the fourth to boost both Omanyte and Kabuto, after the Kanto, Earth Day, and Adventure Week events, as well as the second to boost Wailmer and Feebas after the Earth Day event. In addition, Machop appeared twice, for both the Kanto and Showdown events.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that this rapid-fire event thing is good, but it could perhaps be a little better thought out by Niantic on what appears when. It's especially a problem with Magikarp, as I've earned nearly 1,500 Magikarp candies in the past three months alone, which is about the same amount that I had gathered total up until the start of the Kanto event. It simply should not be this easy to earn so much Magikarp candy in such a short time in a non-water biome.

Surprised to see Shiny Weather Legends before Regis. I guess we need to wait until July for them.

Honestly, I'm glad to have Kyogre repeating instead of going to the Regis. Legendary Raiding is just chore, and I tire of having to do it again every month. since I only care about getting one of each Legendary, I am more than happy to take Kyogre's second run as a break from Legendary raiding.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Don't get me wrong, I still think that this rapid-fire event thing is good, but it could perhaps be a little better thought out by Niantic on what appears when. It's especially a problem with Magikarp, as I've earned nearly 1,500 Magikarp candies in the past three months alone, which is about the same amount that I had gathered total up until the start of the Kanto event. It simply should not be this easy to earn so much Magikarp candy in such a short time in a non-water biome.

More likely than not, it is probably due to the Mew quest asking for a Magikarp evolution. I know several people (on this site and irl) that either were in a dead spot with little spawns, just evolved a Magikarp before the quest, or has had a difficult time overall trying to catch Magikarp, so I know these events are a real boon to them. I save up a bunch of candies for stuff like that anyway, so I wasn't really hurting for them, but if I find a really good Magikarp, at least I'll have stuff to power it up. I'll say it like this, if I have to choose between catching a crap ton of Pidgey or Magikarp, I'll take the latter. I know Pidgey can be used for mass evos + lucky eggs, but still I'd take Magikarp.

Also, good for you on the candies, dude. I've been playing since Day 2 and I think I've accrued 1,500 total in the whole time I've played. The last 3 months have been helpful, but either you're out there hunting relentlessly or they're just spawning everywhere for you. That's pretty awesome.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
More likely than not, it is probably due to the Mew quest asking for a Magikarp evolution. I know several people (on this site and irl) that either were in a dead spot with little spawns, just evolved a Magikarp before the quest, or has had a difficult time overall trying to catch Magikarp, so I know these events are a real boon to them.

Personally, I think the Mew Research was much too easy, and the Gyarados research was the only actual challenge in it all. It defeats the purpose of the challenge if they're causing it to rain Magikarp. They might as well have just made it an easy task.One event to give a helpful push is one thing. Three is just excessive and not well-planned.

I'll say it like this, if I have to choose between catching a crap ton of Pidgey or Magikarp, I'll take the latter. I know Pidgey can be used for mass evos + lucky eggs, but still I'd take Magikarp.

I won't disagree with that.

Also, good for you on the candies, dude. I've been playing since Day 2 and I think I've accrued 1,500 total in the whole time I've played. The last 3 months have been helpful, but either you're out there hunting relentlessly or they're just spawning everywhere for you. That's pretty awesome.

During summer and other breaks from school, while I'm at home, I live in a water biome, and if I ever traveled to one of the areas that are good for playing Go, I'd be able to catch about 5-10 Magikarp an hour at least. More on good days. That's where the bulk of my pre-Kanto event candies came from. While at school, I'm in a desert biome, so would maybe get one Magikarp every other week that would spawn at a fountain, so normally I'm catching an insignificant amount, despite the fact that the spawn density in general is much higher at my school. Now, with all these events, the combination of Magikarp being as common as they are at home with the high spawn density of my school has just made things ridiculous.

It was awesome at first, but honestly, I'm getting to the point where I don't care that much about catching Magikarp anymore. If it weren't for the fact that I still want a Shiny Magikarp, I probably would have stopped bothering to catch them all together by now. Which is sad, because MAgikarp used to be something that you could never get enough of.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Personally, I think the Mew Research was much too easy, and the Gyarados research was the only actual challenge in it all. It defeats the purpose of the challenge if they're causing it to rain Magikarp. They might as well have just made it an easy task.One event to give a helpful push is one thing. Three is just excessive and not well-planned.
The Mew research isn't even supposed to be hard. It's just tasks that take time to complete. There's literally no challenge in the tasks either. Most of it is literally just luck or grinding. If you consider that a 'challenge', well... it's really not.

But really, what else are they supposed to do? Just let Magikarp be featured in one event and then have two other events down the line that Magikarp fits into and just... not have it's spawns boosted?

That's what frustrated me with Adventure Week. It was just Lileep, Anorith, Kabuto, Omanyte, Aron, Nosepass, and Geodude with boosted spawns. If it's a 'Rock-Type Event' then it would've been nice to see Solrock/Lunatone, Shuckle, Sudowoodo, Rhyhorn, Onix, Aerodactyl, and Larvitar all spawn more frequently.

Plus it's stupid to complain about being able to grind for a super strong Pokemon much faster. I've accrued over 2,000 candies for Magikarp and I'm always stoked to see one. You can never have enough Magikarp candies to get some really good Gyarados. Plus, chances at a shiny are always a plus. Even if you already have a shiny, it's always cool to get more.

I'd rather take these crazy spawns over and over than deal with seeing just Skitty, Pidgey, Rattata, Snubbull, Venonat, Mankey, Sentret, etc... on the nearby every time I log in.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The Mew research isn't even supposed to be hard. It's just tasks that take time to complete. There's literally no challenge in the tasks either. Most of it is literally just luck or grinding. If you consider that a 'challenge', well... it's really not.

I don't consider it a challenge, and that's the problem. It should have been.

But really, what else are they supposed to do? Just let Magikarp be featured in one event and then have two other events down the line that Magikarp fits into and just... not have it's spawns boosted?

The point of the original post I made was to say that perhaps they could have planned these events better so not to have Magikarp get increased spawns three times within two months. What I mean by that, is maybe two water-boosting events so close to each other, as well as another event that boosted many of the most common Water-Types, all within two months wasn't the best planning on Niantic's part.

Plus it's stupid to complain about being able to grind for a super strong Pokemon much faster. I've accrued over 2,000 candies for Magikarp and I'm always stoked to see one. You can never have enough Magikarp candies to get some really good Gyarados. Plus, chances at a shiny are always a plus. Even if you already have a shiny, it's always cool to get more.

The problem is that it shouldn't be so easy to get that much in first place. The game isn't being balanced that well if you can earn 1,400 candies in under two months in a non-water biome. I can't even imagine what obscene amount people must be earning in biomes that normally have common Magikarp spawns. If Gyarados was supposed to be easy to get, then it would have only costed 50 candies to evolve it, like any other two stage evolution line.

Also, I addressed this in my last post already, but two months ago I would have agreed that you can never have too many Magikarp. Then all these events happened, and I have nearly 2,000 candies, and I just don't need anymore. I already have four Gyarados, three of which are powerful and battle-ready, and there's just no need for a fifth. If it weren't for the chance of getting a Shiny Magikarp, I probably would have given up on catching Magikarp by now. The fact that my mentality on catching Magikarp has shifted so much in only two months is what tells me there might be a problem.

I'd rather take these crazy spawns over and over than deal with seeing just Skitty, Pidgey, Rattata, Snubbull, Venonat, Mankey, Sentret, etc... on the nearby every time I log in.

Already said I won't deny that.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
The fact that my mentality on catching Magikarp has shifted so much in only two months is what tells me there might be a problem.
And that's your mentality for a reason. It's strictly opinionated. That doesn't mean there 'might' be a problem. I'm sure a LOT of people largely disagree with you.

There's really no problem in it. If you put in the time and effort to play the game during these timed events, then you will naturally collect a bunch of candies for Pokemon in the event. I'm pretty certain there's a lot of people that can barely log in an hour a day or every other day at most, so this is really a non-issue.

What IS an issue is the fact they have no major content releases coming soon to appease us, so they have to continually drop events to keep the players coming back. There's no exciting new additions apart from the few new legendaries we have left and shinies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And that's your mentality for a reason. It's strictly opinionated. That doesn't mean there 'might' be a problem. I'm sure a LOT of people largely disagree with you.

I'm not trying to claim that my experience is a definitive experience. I'm just pointing out that it's a possible reaction to all this. This has all been my opinion from the beginning.

What IS an issue is the fact they have no major content releases coming soon to appease us, so they have to continually drop events to keep the players coming back. There's no exciting new additions apart from the few new legendaries we have left and shinies.

To be fair, we do have the rest of the Alolan Forms to look forward to, but yeah, not much more than that. Hopefully they don't continue to release them one at a time.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I've just seen the update about Unown being released for E3.

What about people who won't be near the arena?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've just seen the update about Unown being released for E3.

What about people who won't be near the arena?

Too late for this response to be of any value to you, but the Unown at E3 is just like any of the other area-specific Unown events they've done. They only appear in the immediate vicinity of the event.

Bit of a bummer for me, I was actually in Los Angelese during E3, but it would have taken much too much of my time to drive through the extreme traffic of the area E3 is being hosted to grab some Unown, and was unable to make it happen.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Alolan Geodude and Alolan Diglett appear globally starting July 14. It is unknown if their encounter period will have an end date.

https://pokemongolive.com/post/summergameplay2018/

It's great that there have been dates announced when Alolan forms begin to appear in Pokémon GO. I guess these Alolan forms will share Candies with their regular forms.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
Too late for this response to be of any value to you, but the Unown at E3 is just like any of the other area-specific Unown events they've done. They only appear in the immediate vicinity of the event.

Bit of a bummer for me, I was actually in Los Angelese during E3, but it would have taken much too much of my time to drive through the extreme traffic of the area E3 is being hosted to grab some Unown, and was unable to make it happen.

I'm in the UK, and there was supposed to have been an event when the Johto Pokemon where released in Europe and then nothing came of it.