• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, it's often a pain to level up Pokémon because it uses up so much Stardust (and candy, but grinding candy is a bit easier thanks to Pinap Berries). But imagine getting a perfect Pokémon, also knowing it's a Lucky Pokémon...

Erron Black

The Outlaw
The APK mine was definitely interesting with Lucky Pokemon being a highlight! Getting a Pokemon you don't need stardust to power up? Sign me up!
There was a mistake in this and it's apparently 0.5x the normal stardust amount to power up.

Sadly it's not free stardust, but half the amount is still a HUGE steal. From level 1 > 40 the regular cost is 270,000 stardust, so having it be 135,000 is a pretty large discount.

Seems like they're realizing that stardust is ridiculous to maintain, especially if you have good Pokemon you want to power up.

Apparently we're supposed to be getting Shiny Chansey + a new Chansey model soon as well?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
There was a mistake in this and it's apparently 0.5x the normal stardust amount to power up.

Sadly it's not free stardust, but half the amount is still a HUGE steal. From level 1 > 40 the regular cost is 270,000 stardust, so having it be 135,000 is a pretty large discount.

Seems like they're realizing that stardust is ridiculous to maintain, especially if you have good Pokemon you want to power up.

Apparently we're supposed to be getting Shiny Chansey + a new Chansey model soon as well?

Hey, I'll still take that! Thanks for the update! I haven't heard about the shiny Chansey possibility, but since it's one of the only ones they keep using in promotional art, I don't know. I don't think that's what they're hinting at, but I've been wrong before.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well Lucky is the Japanese name for Chansey so it makes sense for it to promote the lucky Pokémon. But at least half stardust is better than not getting a stardust discount.

Vipsoccermaster

In the main games, traded Pokémon gain EXP 1.5 times faster. To make it work similar in Pokémon GO, as there is no EXP for Pokémon, to have a similar mechanic, they chose to reduce stardust and candy cost to level up lucky Pokémon. Thus, it feels like you're leveling them up faster, but with reduced resources needed to level up.

Having to level up Pokémon where you don't use any stardust was too good to be true, and Niantic wouldn't have wanted that way. It would feel far too broken. Had this been done, you'd power up your Pokémon, regardless of who or what they are, all the way up.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, stardust tends to decrease more than candy when levelling up so not using any to level up would certainly be too quick and broken.

But I'm expecting that there will be achievements for catching Lucky Pokémon as well as Field Research tasks. I'm also not expecting they'll be as rare as shiny Pokémon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
aaaaaand they're only available through trades and get this--

They aren't even available yet! Wow!

Pretty stupid way to try and get people to trade Pokemon. Trading is and always will be extremely situational.

1) Nobody is going to trade for Pokemon they already have, especially if they have good ones.
2) The Stardust requirement for Pokemon you don't have and shinies is a bit much, but it's reasonable.
3) The Stardust requirement for Legendaries and Shinies you don't have is beyond ridiculous.
4) It's extremely unlikely to receive regionals from trading, which is one of the main reasons players wanted trading.
5) The IVs change dramatically. Almost guaranteeing that you won't get a decent Pokemon via trading.

the only actual upside to trading I can think of is that it boosts friendship(which can be done in simpler and less costly ways) and it can give you more candies?

overall the 'lucky Pokemon' thing unless when traded is guaranteed to have raid/research/egg hatch level of IVs, then it's going to be a blatantly useless addition for the most part.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, disappointing that Lucky Pokémon are trade exclusive. Eventually I expect Lucky Pokémon to not be as restricted to trading at a later point. However I do believe that the trading system is in need of a lot of improvements, such as reducing the stardust cost, increasing the maximum separation distance for a trade and even removing the IV rerolling system for certain cases.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
removing the IV rerolling system for certain cases.
This should be removed for special trades only in my opinion. Either that or have the IV rerolling be something like:

Good Friend: Can change anywhere up to a 80% difference negatively, 20% positively.
Great Friend: Can change anywhere up to a 60% difference negatively, 40% positively.
Ultra Friend: Can change anywhere up to a 40% difference negatively, 60% positively.
Best Friend: Can change anywhere up to a 20% difference negatively, 80% positively.

So if you are trading a... 51% in all scenarios:
Good Friend: can change anywhere from 0% > 71%
Great Friend: can change anywhere from 0% > 91%
Ultra Friend: can change anywhere from 11% > 100%
Best Friend: can change anywhere from 31% > 100%

This way if you're Best Friends and you trade a... 91% the lowest it could go is a 71%, which is actually usable. Whereas now it can drop down to very low values. It would make players WANT to get to Best Friends with others and actually trade good Pokemon with each other.

Not like it'll happen though. Bring on the useless Lucky Pokemon!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well that might convince some people to be more engaged with the friend system if something like that was there.

Even getting to trade is a problem especially for those living in rural areas and in low-density populations. To fix that, I've thought about changing the trading radius depending on your location. It is the widest when the player is in a very rural area and it is the smallest when the player is in a really large city.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I just think it needs to be worldwide, but the longer the distance the more costly it is to trade, or trading is locked behind a higher tier of friendship so it can't just be "friend this spoofer or person from Australia for a day to get Kangaskhan and then unfriend them the next"

but exclusivity guys!1!!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not too bad of a thought. It wouldn't be too bad once if a player is more friendly with another player they can trade at longer distances. I would be satisfied if they had got the idea of the GTS from the games, except if a player deposits a non-Legendary Pokémon, the player will be unable to request for a Legendary Pokémon in return.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So Lucky Pokemon were initially exactly what I had expected, but a couple hours after introduction they implemented a sort of blocker that prevents ANY Lucky Pokemon from falling beneath 10/10/10 IVs.

That's actually HUGE. This means Lucky Pokemon have the same exact IV chances as Pokemon from Raids, Researches, and Egg hatches.

That's a great fix for an initially flawed mechanic. Hopefully they work more on it and make it more friend-level based than they do age based, and then they can further restrict trading to make it so you can only trade ~5 times per day with each friend. Thus preventing Lucky Pokemon appearing all the time.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah that’s a much better way to encourage trading. That would also make Lucky Pokémon more viable as Pokémon to be put in Gyms too.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

That's no discount for people who don't have a ton to work with. I only have over 300,000 stardust. Being rural/suburban sucks sometimes lol.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Keep in mind that's if you level up a Pokemon from level 1 all the way to 40. If you have a Pokemon at let's say... level 29, it would take 160,000 stardust to level it up normally.

With a Lucky, it's only 80,000. That's a huge discount.

Also, I have ~100,000 stardust almost all the time. I usually gather a bunch up daily and then spend it on Pokemon I want to power up. I actually cap it my mons at level 29 right now, as they are super strong at that point, but once I reach level 40 I'll begin to fully power them up.

My only issue with powering up is that Stardust isn't easy to come by in decent amounts. Star Pieces barely help, and the only time I manage to accumulate a bunch of Stardust is via events that boost the amount you gain, or if I do a lot of raids in quick succession. I AM glad they're starting to put Stardust into more things like Gifts and Researches though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Keep in mind that's if you level up a Pokemon from level 1 all the way to 40. If you have a Pokemon at let's say... level 29, it would take 160,000 stardust to level it up normally.

With a Lucky, it's only 80,000. That's a huge discount.

Also, I have ~100,000 stardust almost all the time. I usually gather a bunch up daily and then spend it on Pokemon I want to power up. I actually cap it my mons at level 29 right now, as they are super strong at that point, but once I reach level 40 I'll begin to fully power them up.

My only issue with powering up is that Stardust isn't easy to come by in decent amounts. Star Pieces barely help, and the only time I manage to accumulate a bunch of Stardust is via events that boost the amount you gain, or if I do a lot of raids in quick succession. I AM glad they're starting to put Stardust into more things like Gifts and Researches though.
Still not a discount (in my opinion, given how long it takes to re earn it, especially in more rural areas).

Cool.

Exactly. So am I. It helps a bit.

thekorean

I just think it needs to be worldwide, but the longer the distance the more costly it is to trade, or trading is locked behind a higher tier of friendship so it can't just be "friend this spoofer or person from Australia for a day to get Kangaskhan and then unfriend them the next"

but exclusivity guys!1!!
Yea exclusivity makes no sense if trade can't be done from distance.

Either that or the egg from package has a chance of being hatched in to the regional specific Pokemon from where the package is from.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Either that or the egg from package has a chance of being hatched in to the regional specific Pokemon from where the package is from.
This so much. There's so little Pokemon in 7km eggs and the distance is ridiculous for what you can possible get. Adding in a small chance for a Regional Pokemon FROM the region the egg was sent would be big. I have family friends down in Florida that can get Corsola and Heracross, but can't get Tauros so this would help them and us a LOT. Then when you go on a trip somewhere with a regional, you can send gifts back to your buddies giving them chances to score a regional.

My little brother also had an idea that they could take Zoos and make a special biome for them that makes a certain regional able to spawn there seasonally. It makes sense, I mean you won't find wild Penguins in Northern USA, but you can find them in Zoos. Essentially, Zoos would turn into 'Safari Zones'.

Speaking of Biomes, I have a small feeling that the Go Fest 'biomes' were hinting towards a rework of the biomes/nests in-game. Making them more noticeable on the map and further refining what can spawn in what biome. I mean, all we really have is water when it comes to biomes. I think it would be neat to have Tropical, Tundra, Desert, Ocean, Savannah, Forest, River/Lake, Mountain, Grasslands, etc... as biomes. The biomes would boost the spawns of specific Pokemon and could affect evolutions like Magneton > Magnezone, Eevee > Leafeon or Glaceon, Nosepass > Probopass, Exeggcute > Alolan Exeggutor, Cubone > Alolan Marowak, Pikachu > Alolan Raichu and others.(Since it's strange we don't even get 'random' evolution for them)

Also anyone seen the rumor about the new event supposedly starting this week or next? It's not some cheap or garbage rumor, it's actually from someone who leaked a Double XP event and the first Water Festival. So that gives it some credibility, but still take it with a grain of salt. For those of you who want to see it here's the info:
-The event is centered around Evolution.
-Evolutions of older Pokemon from Gen 4 will be made available in this event. Specifically mentions Rhyperior, Magmortar, and Electivire. Unknown if there are others.
-New Evolution items including evolution stones.
-Double XP for evolving and spinning Pokestops.
-Pokemon max storage increased to 2000
-Increased spawn rate of evolved Pokemon
-Increased rate of evolution items from Pokestops
-Gen 3 evolutions finally released into the wild(Except Milotic)
-Researches with evolution items as rewards
-New raids with previous evolution item Pokemon(Specifically mentions Scizor)
-New shop boxes with Lucky Eggs and Premium Passes
-We will get a new update prior to the event

To back this up, Scizor has actually just recently received a catch rate in the game's coding. They say there's no mention of Celebi though.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Spinda's implementation into Go is yet another example of Niantic not really caring too much about the identity of certain Pokémon. I get why they don't want to bother with all of Spinda's billions of forms, but they could have at least made 50 to 100 forms, and at least pretend like each Spinda is unique. And let's be honest, there's no reason they couldn't do something like the main games where it's created at random, instead of being pre-created. Niantic just took the overly simple way out. It's especially disappointing, because in a collecting-based game like Go, Spinda's endless forms would be even more amusing than it is in the main games. Too bad.

Last edited: