• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I will never cease to be disappointed with a new generation's release, it would seem. Despite how small Sinnoh is (earlier, I counted, at the most only 31 unevolved Pokémon that could possibly spawn in the wild, and we can now subtract the 3 regionals and the egg-exclusive Riolu, bringing that number down to 28 at the most), they decided to make things even smaller and less impressive by breaking things up into waves. Why? Just why? This makes no sense. Hopefully this is just the "preview" wave, and the next wave will do everything else.

And then there's the regionals. It's like Niantic just has a compulsive need to make as many things regional as possible, without ever once considering if it makes any sense. We have Pachirisu, a Pokémon which should be appearing world-wide, locked to a single country. But then, Niantic goes and makes things even more ridiculous, by making Carnevine a regional for a fourth of a country. I kid you not, it would seem that Carnevine only appears on the East Coast of the US, which, might I remind you, already has Tauros too. There was absolutely no need to cram yet another regional into such a small area. And then there's Chatot. Haven't seen where it spawns yet, but that's yet another regional to add to the already ridiculously long list. I never liked the concept of regionals from the beginning, but at least they were semi-manageable back in Gen I. Now it's just a mess. Here's to hoping that there are no more regionals from Sinnoh (besides maybe Shellos/Gastrodon). Who am I kidding, though? There will be more, and they'll probably be even more ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to see Gen IV released, and new Pokémon will always be exciting, but Niantic really has a knack for lessening that excitement.

EDIT: So, it would also seem that Luxio is hatching from eggs. This is, of course, a mistake, but it does possibly show that Shinx is meant to be egg-exclusive (which make zero sense). So say goodbye to yet another of 31 unevolved Pokémon who could possibly appear in the wild. We're down to 27 at the most now. Hopefully this Luxio thing is just an utter mistake, and not even Shinx was meant to appear in eggs.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It’s great that Gen 4 is finally here. I’m not surprised by the initially limited selection but there’s some regional exclusives here but I haven’t found any. But like the other generations, I eventually expect the other Pokémon to be released over time.

BCVM22

The main site does.

Starter lines
Starly line
Bidoof line
Kricketot line
Buneary line
Chatot (Southern Hemisphere)
Carnivine (Southeastern United States)
Pachirisu (Canada, Russia & Alaska)

with reports of Riolu and Luxio (erroneously) appearing in 10 km eggs and Shinx appearing in raids.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Went out for under an hour earlier today, and already managed to catch at least one every new unevolved Pokémon. Given, I still have catch multiples to evolve them, but in under an hour the thrill of finding new Pokémon is gone. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this is why the staggered release system just doesn't work, especially with so few Pokémon to begin with.

Vipsoccermaster

Went out for under an hour earlier today, and already managed to catch at least one every new unevolved Pokémon. Given, I still have catch multiples to evolve them, but in under an hour the thrill of finding new Pokémon is gone. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this is why the staggered release system just doesn't work, especially with so few Pokémon to begin with.
For some people, it works, for some, it doesn't work. The thing is, if Niantic releases the whole generation at once, there is a lot of new to look forward to and search for, but then it becomes really dry until the next generation. During that time, it'll become stale and boring. By releasing in waves, Niantic is able to keep up with the activity and make players always have something new to look forward to in the coming months.

And for the regionals, United States has eight regionals you can obtain. And mind you, seven of them, yes, 7, can be found wherever you go in the state of Florida. Tauros, Heracross, Corsola, Illumise, Seviper, Lunatone, and Carnivine.

Luckily for me, I am going to Florida in early November for my cousin's wedding, so I'll be sure to register Heracross, Corsola, and Carnivine while I'm there. Carnivine being there when I have to coincidentally go there is just a nice bonus. Oh, and both gender forms, even if they don't have any differences between them.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
For some people, it works, for some, it doesn't work. The thing is, if Niantic releases the whole generation at once, there is a lot of new to look forward to and search for, but then it becomes really dry until the next generation. During that time, it'll become stale and boring. By releasing in waves, Niantic is able to keep up with the activity and make players always have something new to look forward to in the coming months.

And for the regionals, United States has eight regionals you can obtain. And mind you, seven of them, yes, 7, can be found wherever you go in the state of Florida. Tauros, Heracross, Corsola, Illumise, Seviper, Lunatone, and Carnivine.

Luckily for me, I am going to Florida in early November for my cousin's wedding, so I'll be sure to register Heracross, Corsola, and Carnivine while I'm there. Carnivine being there when I have to coincidentally go there is just a nice bonus. Oh, and both gender forms, even if they don't have any differences between them.

If you count that Tauros was part of the Ultra Bonus, Seviper was once switched with Zangoose (as was Lunatone), the exclusivity is more of a four. Tauros is found at the top of the state, while Heracross is further down (but you already knew that). I just wish Pachirisu wasn't exclusive since it's one of my favorites. We were pretty spot on in terms of what would be regionals though. I thought that Chatot might be exclusive to Africa or South America, but the Southern Hemisphere makes it a bit more accessible. Pachirisu....I get? Squirrels are everywhere, but I guess they're more suited up north? I don't know. As for Carnivine, we thought it might be another Central/South American exclusive, but a friend of mine mentioned that the Venus fly trap is only found in the Carolinas, so extending it to the South Eastern United States makes sense as well. Florida is a hot spot, that's for sure. I was ready for waves and regionals though, so I'm not crushed or anything. Here's hoping I get a Chimchar soon! For those wondering, I got a Shinx in a one star raid yesterday. I think it's getting a modified Absol/Mawile treatment in which it's only available in raids and in eggs, but we'll see. It's only been out for a day.

Pluski

Chatot and Carnivine's exclusivity is not surprising, but I'm a little disappointed about Pachirisu. If it really is supposed to be "in the north", I think they should extend it to the polar circle as well so that the northernmost parts of Europe would also get it.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I'm also disappointed about Pachirisu but generally the number of region exclusives is disappointingly excessive, but Pachirisu is the most disappointing to me because it's an electric type.

quake

I'm a bit annoyed over the regional Pokemon but I am happy it's in waves. Give people time to collect and evolve the ones that are out right now instead of everything being thrown at us..

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

That may work in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work that way. Wave-based releases are a perfect example of where the sum of the parts is less than the whole, especially with small waves like this. By releasing such a small amount at once, the enjoyment that can be derived from the experience is extremely minimal. There's just not a whole lot to do with the extremely small amount of Pokémon they released. If they continue to release waves this small, then each one will give minimal levels of enjoyment. And really, the release of a small handful of Pokémon really isn't something all that exciting to look forward to on its own. Release everything at once, on the other hand, at you're more likely to actually feel like you're enjoying yourself. Sure, the fun you'll get out of it comes all once, but it's a whole lot more than you would otherwise.

Admittedly, it wasn't that bad for Hoenn, given how many new Pokémon there were, and I'm sure Unova won't be that bad either. Sinnoh, on the other hand, it's just not right. It will be even worse when Alola and Kalos come.

Sorry, what's your point?

I'm a bit annoyed over the regional Pokemon but I am happy it's in waves. Give people time to collect and evolve the ones that are out right now instead of everything being thrown at us..

You see, that's why I don't like it. Never will ever beat the fun of the game back when starting a new account, and there are new Pokémon at every turn. Everything was "thrown at us" at once, and it wasn't overwhelming, it made the game more fun. The closest Go can get to replicating that feeling is releasing as many new Pokémon at a time as they can. By only releasing a little at a time, it becomes very easy to catch and evolve everything new, which just isn't as fun. Yeah, maybe it will take you longer to evolve everything if everything is released at once, but that's a good thing. It means you have a good reason to play for that much longer.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
We have Pachirisu, a Pokémon which should be appearing world-wide, locked to a single country.
Pachirisu actually appears in two countries (Canada and Russia) as well as a U.S state (Alaska).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I personally find Carnivine the most annoying regional exclusive because it only appears in the south-eastern US. I most likely won’t be able to get there for a long time, which really sucks for me.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Has anyone figured out what nicknames you need to evolve your Eevee into Leafeon or Glaceon yet? I finally have enough candies to evolve my Eevee & I really want to evolve it into one of the new Sinnoh Pokémon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pachirisu actually appears in two countries (Canada and Russia) as well as a U.S state (Alaska).

Oh, really? Last I read, it was only found in Canada (which I suppose would technically include Alaska). Never heard about Russia though. However, isn't the game not officially launched in Russia?

Regardless, more regionals is still not what we needed.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Oh, really? Last I read, it was only found in Canada (which I suppose would technically include Alaska). Never heard about Russia though. However, isn't the game not officially launched in Russia?

Regardless, more regionals is still not what we needed.
Serebii's region exclusive page claimed that Pachirisu is exclusive to Northern Canada, Alaska, and Russia.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Last edited:

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
What I think is wrong is what they did for raids and egg hatches. With the Sinnoh release level 1 raids should only be the three starters and Shinx, not Bidoof or Buneary. The new Pokemon should have increased chances of hatching from eggs. Seeing as how I hatched a good 20 eggs today and got none of the gen 4 Pokemon, I think that is a good indication rates are not inflated. One of the 2 10km eggs I hatched still had Chimecho who should only be a 5 or 2km egg instead since it doesn't evolve.