• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
108 berries is an awful lot but I'm excited for the Halloween event and new research. Though I don't expect to get a giratina in a raid but it's nice that it's there. For those who do manage to get legendary raid where is best to do it ? the city centre, a park or a nature reserve ? The city centre is a further walk off-route but if it get results then it would be worth the effort.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
For those who do manage to get legendary raid where is best to do it ? the city centre, a park or a nature reserve ? The city centre is a further walk off-route but if it get results then it would be worth the effort.

The best place to go is wherever you are most likely to run into other people playing. That is, of course, going to vary from place to place. Most likely that will be the place in your city/town with the most stops/gyms in the smallest area. If two places are about equal, then it's likely the one which has the better playing environment will be more popular. By that, I mean that people might enjoy playing in a large and open park over a cramped shopping district or industrial area.

Do you know anyone who plays the game in your area? Or do you ever run into and/or see other people playing? If so, ask them where they tend to meet up for raids. They might even have a Face Book group, or something similar, where they share raid locations and coordinate efforts to get people to them. In my small town, where it's nearly impossible to accidentally run into enough people to do a Legendary Raid, these raid groups are the only real option for getting enough people together to complete one. If you're in a busy and concentrated area, like I am while at college, then you can probably just show up at a Legendary Raid in a high-traffic area before it hatches, and meet up with a group of other people doing the same.

Another strategy is to focus on sponsored and EX-eligible gyms. People are more likely to show up at said gyms for raids, as they want a shot at getting an EX invite. So if you ever see a silver egg above a Starbucks gym (or other EX gym), it might be a good idea to head over.

quake

Yay Cyndaquil day! Surprised they didn't say the move is Blast Burn (I think that's the name of it) since Meganium got Frenzy Plant.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Another strategy is to focus on sponsored and EX-eligible gyms. People are more likely to show up at said gyms for raids, as they want a shot at getting an EX invite. So if you ever see a silver egg above a Starbucks gym (or other EX gym), it might be a good idea to head over.

Can confirm. I've been trying a local EX eligible gym near me for a while, but it hasn't activated since...July? That sounds about right. On the other hand, I know there's a Sprint store not too far from where I make my rounds so I checked my phone on the off chance that there was a raid. There was. Wailmer. One raid (and about half a week later) I get a notification for an invite. That was the first time I ever raided that gym and my badge was either bronze or not ranked so I didn't have the "best" chance, but still got it. Sprint (or whatever is sponsored in your area) is a great place to start.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Cyndaquil Day is definitely great. I would definitely like to have a shiny Typhlosion and at least it’s going to be another good one. My guess for its special move is Blast Burn.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Now that we're a little ways into the Halloween event, I've just got to say that, besides Giratina and Spiritomb, this event is really lackluster. Perhaps the biggest issue is that the candy bonuses are only applied to catching, not transferring or buddy candy. The buddy candy part was a big deal the past two Halloween events. It was an easy way to get candy for rare Pokémon. Speaking from experience, it would completely change the way you played the game, as you would prioritize walking more to max out that candy, and I always say that the best events are the ones that change the way you play. Not to mention, walking to get candy was the perfect representation of Halloween, specifically trick or treating. Without that bonus, this event just feels a whole lot more dull.

Then there's the shortage of new stuff, as compared to last year. Last year, we got three new Pokémon appearing in the wild, as well as a new hat Pikachu. This year, all we're getting is two new things in the wild, neither of which are particular "Halloween-themed" beyond their type. Speaking of new Pokémon, why would they not release Honchcrow and Mismagius here? Those two would fit perfectly. We even got a Mismagius hat in the shop, but no Mismagius. Weird stuff. Also, we're just getting a repeat of last year's Pikachu. All the repeat Pikachu events we've gotten this past year have been with special moves to differentiate themselves from the first run. This year's witch hat Pikachu is the first time we've gotten a repeat without anything at all to make it different.

Perhaps most strange is the lack of aesthetics. This is the first Halloween even to not give us a new loading screen background. In fact, the first Halloween event gave us the first ever background to replace the original. This is especially strange, as the current summer-themed background has not only been around for quite a while, but doesn't fit at all anymore, now that summer is over. We're overdue for a new loading screen. But, perhaps worst of all, is the missing Lavender Town/Pokémon Tower music. Last year, during night a remix of the infamous Lavender Town music would play on the map. This was perhaps the most amazing part about the event. I personally hoped that it meant we would be getting more special remixes for other events, but in never happened. Regardless, the music is already made, and is still even in the game's files. IT would only require hitting a switch to have it start playing again. Why in the world are they not using it?

So yeah, while Giratina and Spiritomb are great (and Giratina's really only that good because of my personal bias), the rest of the event could have been so much better if just a few simple and easy changes were made. Bummer.

BCVM22

You do enjoy GO, though, right? It seems like weekly you have a complaint about available Pokémon, or buddy candy, or goodness knows what else.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Not a fan of the new Adventure Sync thing coming down the pipe.

Pokémon GO

Verified account

@PokemonGoApp
Following Following @PokemonGoApp
More
Trainers, we’re excited to announce that Adventure Sync is coming to Pokémon GO. With this new feature, Trainers will be able to hatch Eggs and collect Candy-- even when Pokémon GO is idle! Get the full details here:

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/...ill-record-your-steps-even-the-app-isnt-open/

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1055474715186393089

I only have so much data to use and I hope there's a way to opt out of it as I don't need this game to waste data/sync all the time. I already deal with it occasionally with Google Play Store.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The main page says point blank that the feature is entirely optional.
I missed it the first read. *shrug* Glad it is.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You do enjoy GO, though, right? It seems like weekly you have a complaint about available Pokémon, or buddy candy, or goodness knows what else.

I do enjoy it. Somewhat recently I was thinking about how I do tend to complain more often than not about Go. There's just a lot of issues that come up. Doesn't mean those issues render the game worth not playing, but I'm not going to just ignore them either. It's firmly my philosophy that you can have lots of complaints about something, but still enjoy it. That's what I've been trying to remind people of in regards to their complaints about Let's Go.

It's also just really easy for complaints to take over a post. Like that last one I made, I started saying I liked the Halloween event because of Giratina and Spiritomb, but there wasn't that much else to say about them that I hadn't said already, but for my issues with Halloween event, I have to explain them in detail, or people might just think I'm complaining about nothing. Just in general, people will take praise at face value, but complaints need justification. Because of that, it looks like I'm focusing entirely on the negatives, which was never my intention. Or, another example, with the release of Sinnoh Pokémon, there's not much more positive I can say than, "Yay, Sinnoh is here," while there's plenty I can say about how the staggered release system annoys me, and why Sinnoh's Pokémon distribution makes it worse. That doesn't mean I'm not happy to have Sinnoh Pokémon finally coming to the game, it just means it wasn't the perfect experience.

I would say, at least I'm trying to justify my complaints, instead of them just being one-line, reasonless complaints, which just look like I'm hating on something mindlessly.

I haven't heard a single praise from him anywhere else. I'm used to it.

To be fair, I did just a page ago talk about how much I like the idea of giving event-exclusive special research to Spiritomb, and how I was very excited to finally be able to catch Giratina.

So are Riolu obtainable only from some 10km eggs or something?

Yes. Riolu (and Lucario) do not appear in the wild or in raids. Only 10 km eggs.

Certainly no one needs to say nothing but praise about something, or even praise it at all, but still.

I honestly want to know, what would you rather me do?

BCVM22

It merely seemed like every post of yours I've seen in this thread (admittedly small sample size) was complaining about things like the rollout of the Sinnoh Pokémon, where you complained they rolled out too few at the start (a week later we've had more added, and the staggered rollout method seems like a capable means of ensuring we have something to which we can look ahead on the regular), and the Halloween event, which seemed like you took issue with a lot of what ultimately boils down to minutiae.

I wouldn't "rather" you do anything. You do you.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It merely seemed like every post of yours I've seen in this thread (admittedly small sample size) was complaining about things like the rollout of the Sinnoh Pokémon, where you complained they rolled out too few at the start (a week later we've had more added, and the staggered rollout method seems like a capable means of ensuring we have something to which we can look ahead on the regular), and the Halloween event, which seemed like you took issue with a lot of what ultimately boils down to minutiae.

I wouldn't "rather" you do anything. You do you.

I'll stand by the points I've made. They are things that, for me at least, make the game less enjoyable than it could be. Unless I explicitly say so, they are not game-breaking or anything that would ever make me dislike the game as whole, and in some cases they may not even be that big of a deal, but they are things I see as a negative, even if only a small negative, nonetheless, and I think that gives me valid reason to bring them up here.

EDIT: Ironically, here's something positive for me to say, I'm looking forward to this Gengar day. These "Raid Days" aren't my favorite, but I will certainly be happy to have a relatively easy shot at a Shiny Gengar. Between that and previous Community Days, I might now be able to send half of my final team over to Let's Go in their shiny forms. Now, if only I could catch a Shiny Kabuto or Magikarp...

Last edited:

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
So I don't know if this has been expanded upon further elsewhere, but does anybody know what the difference is between this new Adventure Sync feature and the Pokemon Go Plus device? They seem like the same thing, besides Sync's milestone reward system (which kind of sounds like the current research system) and Go Plus' ability to catch Pokemon (and maybe price?).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So I don't know if this has been expanded upon further elsewhere, but does anybody know what the difference is between this new Adventure Sync feature and the Pokemon Go Plus device? They seem like the same thing, besides Sync's milestone reward system (which kind of sounds like the current research system) and Go Plus' ability to catch Pokemon (and maybe price?).

Both allow you to track distance for Buddies and eggs while Go isn't active. The main difference is pretty obvious. Go Plus requires the additional purchase of a piece of hardware, while Adventure Sync is software used from your phone for no cost and no extra hardware, allowing several benefits of the Go Plus to be used without owning one. Also, the Adventure Sync can be used to log distance walked, for people who care about that sort of thing. Other than that, you pretty much explained the difference yourself, though another advantage of Go Plus is the ability to spin PokéStops too.

As far as they're marketed, Adventure Sync is kind of being presented as a fitness app, while Go Plus is meant to be a peripheral to enhance your Go play.

Kind of ironic that this feature is coming right as I'm finally about to get a Go Plus in the form of a Pokéball Plus. Oh well, the catching and stop spinning are still nice things to have.

BCVM22

It sounds like what this new feature will do is access your phone’s step-counting data and retroactively apply it to GO, which means you’ll get credit for the miles a day you walk or run without needing GO running in the background on your phone in real-time. “Sounds” is a key word - it could be that the app does need to be running and they’re just wording it oddly.

The GO Plus can’t do that - it needs GO running in the background on your phone, draining your battery and your data, in order to know when to blink its lights at you.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Also, the Adventure Sync can be used to log distance walked, for people who care about that sort of thing.
Ah, I see. I know people who would greatly appreciate that.

It sounds like what this new feature will do is access your phone’s step-counting data and retroactively apply it to GO, which means you’ll get credit for the miles a day you walk or run without needing GO running in the background on your phone in real-time. “Sounds” is a key word - it could be that the app does need to be running and they’re just wording it oddly.

The GO Plus can’t do that - it needs GO running in the background on your phone, draining your battery and your data, in order to know when to blink its lights at you.
The promotional material keeps using the phrase "even when GO is idle," which leads me to believe that Sync will require GO to still be on, which is why I was asking what the differences were to begin with. I think the GO Plus also used a similar phrase in advertising.

So I guess the advantages to Sync is pricing, some small aesthetics such as more visible distance tracking, and however they'll be handling the milestone system. I already have GO Plus, but it is a pain to re-sync it every hour, so maybe I might switch this on once it comes out. I hardly use Plus to catch Pokemon or spin Stops anymore anyway.

BCVM22

The promotional material keeps using the phrase "even when GO is idle," which leads me to believe that Sync will require GO to still be on, which is why I was asking what the differences were to begin with. I think the GO Plus also used a similar phrase in advertising.

And then their own article says “Adventure Sync can record your walking distances even when Pokémon GO isn’t launched, working in the background to tally your distance, earn Candy, and hatch Eggs!”

“Isn’t launched” implies to me that the GO app doesn’t need to be running in any capacity, and that Adventure Sync is a separate app that runs instead and bridges the gap, accessing the step data from your phone’s step tracking app and applies it to the egg hatching and buddy candy data from GO. The benefit is that hopefully the Adventure Sync app siphons off considerably less power and data.

But again, the wording isn’t specific enough to definitively conclude one way or the other.