• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I was wondering when the next Unova update was going to be. Anyway, there are still 68 Pokémon remaining, that's still more than I can list.

quake

First, I need to rant. So I'm out and about when they launch today's new Pokémon. The very first thing I see on my nearby is a Sawk. I could have went five minutes out of my way to catch it, but I decided not to bother, since Sawk doesn't evolve, and isn't all that powerful, so you only need to catch one, and I figured I'd find another one before too long. Now here I am an hour later, learning that Sawk appearing for me is a mistake, and is actually a regional Pokémon for the other side the world, meaning that the Sawk I purposefully passed by will very likely be the one and only Sawk will ever have the chance to catch. Words cannot express my annoyance.

Anyways, with that off my chest, this wave of releases has some good and bad. This is the first wave of Unova Pokémon since the initial wave to actually have more than one or two new Pokémon. And I commend Niantic on actually implementing trade evolutions. That is not something I would ever expect them to do, after they have continuously shown that they don't care about replicating evolution mechanics properly. This still doesn't make up for the abominations that are the Sinnoh and Unova Stones, but it's a step in the right direction.

As far as the bad goes though, they may have released a chunk of new Pokémon, but so many of them are regionals. Six of them, to be exact (Okay, you could argue that Basculin doesn't count, so five). Every part of the world has its own regionals now. There's no reason to add more. At very least, I promise you that the two relatively small countries of Egypt and Greece certainly did not need a regional all to themselves. Sigilyph doesn't even make any sense as regional for those countries, seeing as it's based on South American culture, not Egyptian or Greek. Why is Niantic so obsessed with regionals? Oh yeah, and Timburr is yet another Raid/Egg exclusive Pokémon. I'm not even close to evolving my Klink yet. We need more Pokémon in the wild, not less. Come on Niantic.

I agree with you on a lot of this! My annoyance when I saw Joltik, Venipede and Axew are egg rewards only but here we are. I'm just happy we got new mons to chase after. Before this update the only Unova pokemon I needed was klinklang but my klang was already 30 candies shy of evolving.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I agree with you on a lot of this! My annoyance when I saw Joltik, Venipede and Axew are egg rewards only but here we are. I'm just happy we got new mons to chase after. Before this update the only Unova pokemon I needed was klinklang but my klang was already 30 candies shy of evolving.

Just to be clear, Joltik, Venipede, and Axew can all be found in the wild. I've seen several Venipede on my nearby already. Of the new Pokémon released, it's really only the regionals and Timburr that are problems.

KahunaLagoonaEX

This still doesn't make up for the abominations that are the Sinnoh and Unova Stones, but it's a step in the right direction.

Honestly I would've they scrapped the other Evolution items for Johto stones and also give us Alolan Stones to evolve Pikachu/Exeggutor/Cubone into their Alolan evolution so I can focus on hatching Eggs than having to constantly be disappointed that the closest 3 Star raid ISN'T an Alolan Raichu raid - especially after giving the thing Grass Knot which wipes out my Tyranitars.

thekorean

Regarding trade evoluion, do you still get the benefit if you trade for example, Machop before evolving it to Machoke and then evolving it in to Machamp?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Regarding trade evoluion, do you still get the benefit if you trade for example, Machop before evolving it to Machoke and then evolving it in to Machamp?

Yes, as long as it's registered as having been traded, you can evolve it for free.

quake

I'm mixed about the February CD. Like I wouldn't want Machop or Dratini getting it but at the same time I don't think Vulpix or Ryhorn are good CD options (OK maybe Ryhorn since it's similar to Swinub).

I really thought it would be Starley as Staraptor Is a fan favorite.

I guess they had to do something since they have to push out the Gen 5 starter CDs since their still releasing a lot of that gen

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, this is an interesting gimmick, but I wouldn't really say that Vulpix, Rhyhorn, or Machop are really all that worthy of their own Community Day, and Dratini has already got it. I suppose I would pick Rhyhorn or Machop of the group, especially if Rhyhorn gives us free Sinnoh Stones like Swinub did. I just really hope it's not Dratini. We really don't need Community Day repeats beyond the December mega Community Day. Vulpix I feel like would just be boring.

EDIT: Just realized that for completely selfish reasons, I absolutely do not want a Machop Community Day. I already have a Shiny Machamp, and I would hate for it to lose its value. I'd rather have a Vulpix or even Dratini Community Day than that.

Last edited:

KahunaLagoonaEX

Welp, probably should've waited in evolving Rhydrin (Perfect Rhyperior) so she could've gotten Rock Wrecker, but honestly I'm not exactly sure if this whole thing will work out in Rhyhorn's favor. Pretty sure it might end up with either Vulpix, Machop, or Dratini taking victory over Rhyhorn.

I guess another change Niantic needs to implement is use of TMs to change moves into Community Day moves during the time period in which Community Day works out.

I also tend to save Research tasks after completing them so I have them on stand by on days where I don't play as often, usually work days.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not a fan of this new Battle League thing. I never enjoy playing against random people I don't know online. Normally, I would just ignore this feature entirely and not care one way or another whether it exists, but I can't do that, as it seems like they're locking Pikachu Libre behind this mechanic, forcing people who want a complete collection to participate. Wonderful. I truly hope they don't make it that difficult to get.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Just redownloaded Pokemon Go. All my 'mons are still there fortunately. Pokemon are almost seemingly spawning at my house now. So this may be a better experience.

poe_keeper

Hello, I just downloaded the Pokemon Go app for the first time in hope of catching a Meltan. I know I have to sync Pokemon Go with Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. Then I send one pokemon from Go to Let's Go and a mystery box will appear in Go. The mystery box will contain a few Meltans. I just want to know if the mystery box with Meltan is still available or did the event close?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow, Woobat as a Research Breakthrough? Really? I thought we couldn't get worse than Shedinja or Flower Crown Eevee, but here we are. Woobat is about as average of a Pokémon that you can get, and one that should be common in the wild? Why in the world would they think it would make a good reward that should be on par with Legendary Pokémon? Absurd. The fact that it's an unreleased Pokémon doesn't help it in this case, as it's one that should just be spawning in the wild. At least Shedinja kind of had an excuse. What makes matters all the worse is that this means that Woobat is yet another Unova Pokémon that won't be spawning in the wild. This is getting out of hand. For the record, that's now Timburr, Darumaka, Scraggy, Yamask, and Klink, in addition to Woobat, which should be spawning in the wild but aren't. Add that to the nine regional Pokémon, and it's like Niantic just doesn't want to put new Pokémon into the wild. Do they honestly not realize that catching Pokémon in the wild is the main activity that most players will spend something like 90% of their time doing?

Sorry about the rant, this is really starting to get on my nerves.

Hello, I just downloaded the Pokemon Go app for the first time in hope of catching a Meltan. I know I have to sync Pokemon Go with Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. Then I send one pokemon from Go to Let's Go and a mystery box will appear in Go. The mystery box will contain a few Meltans. I just want to know if the mystery box with Meltan is still available or did the event close?

The Mystery Box is always available. It is not an event.

poe_keeper

Thank you Bguy7. And I enjoyed the rant too. I dont know why GameFreak does half the things they do.

Just a few more things as I'm on the fence about going through all this...

Can Meltan only evolve in Go or can it also evolve in Let's Go? Is candy available in Let's Go?

Can i use any candy to evolve meltan or does it have a specific candy only Meltan can use?

Is acquiring 400 candies a lot to do or is it somewhat easy?

Is sounds easier to get a shiny celebi and just make an offer for meltan which is crazy.

Thanks for any help.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I dont know why GameFreak does half the things they do.

For the record, it's not Game Freak, it's Niantic. Game Freak has pretty much nothing to do with Go, especially the more mundane things like how a new Pokémon is released in Go.

Can Meltan only evolve in Go or can it also evolve in Let's Go? Is candy available in Let's Go?

Meltan can currently only evolve in Go. Meltan candy can be obtained in Let's Go, but only by releasing Meltan/Melmetal you first brought over from Go, or by walking with Meltan/Melmetal with the Pokéball Plus. However, just in case you don't know, candy can't be used for evolution in Let's Go.

Can i use any candy to evolve meltan or does it have a specific candy only Meltan can use?

In Pokémon Go, catching and releasing a Pokémon gets you a specific candy for that Pokémon. Three for catching, one for releasing. You can only use Meltan Candy to evolve a Meltan.

The one exception is Rare Candy, which is a relatively rare item you get as a reward for raids and research. Rare Candy can be turned into a candy for any species of Pokémon.

Is acquiring 400 candies a lot to do or is it somewhat easy?

It's easy in the sense that it will happen eventually, but it takes some time. As I said above, you get about 4 candies per catch (3 for catching it, then another for releasing it). However, if you use the relatively common Pinap Berry, you can double the catch candy, so you'll now get 7 candy per Meltan. So assuming you use a Pinap Berry on every Meltan, you'll need to catch about 60 of them to get 400 candy. The Mystery Box that let's you catch Meltan can only be opened once every seven days, and you'll manage to get somewhere between 15 to 20 Meltan per opening, depending on how fast you catch them. So assuming you get 20 Meltan every seven days, it should take you about three weeks to get enough candy. Of course, you probably won't get 20 Meltan every time, and you may not have enough Pinap Berries to double all of their candy, so it will more likely take four or five weeks to get enough.

Now, that may sound complicated, but really, all this requires is a half an hour of your attention once a week for a month, and you'll have your Melmetal. Once again, not hard, just long.

Alternatively, Go will sometimes run events where candy is doubled, or when the Mystery Box can be opened every three days instead of seven. These events would speed up the process, but you have no way of knowing when they will be held.

Is sounds easier to get a shiny celebi and just make an offer for meltan which is crazy.

Trust me, it's not.

poe_keeper

Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll pick up a Lets Go game tomorrow. It does sound complicated but you summed it up well.

Is there any reason to get one Let's Go game over the other or do i need both for any reason?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll pick up a Lets Go game tomorrow. It does sound complicated but you summed it up well.

No problem, happy to help.

Is there any reason to get one Let's Go game over the other or do i need both for any reason?

There really is no significant difference beyond the partner being Pikachu or Eevee, so I'd just pick whichever one you like better. Unless you really care about one of the random version exclusive Pokémon. And there really is absolutely no good reason to get both.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Happy and relieved to see that Rhyhorn won the vote. I'm just going to cross my fingers that they don't decide to do all of the candidates sequentially.

Shadow_Fox

Chaotic Dreamer
I'm with you Bguy7, I would miss the randomness of not being sure what Pokemon was coming up next. I'm excited for all of them, just not all in a row!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So I guess I should recant one of my earlier complaints, Darumaka can now spawn in the wild. I find it extremely odd that it would be egg-exclusive for a week and then added to the wild, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, and that's one less Unova Pokémon arbitrarily locked out of the wild.

I'm with you Bguy7, I would miss the randomness of not being sure what Pokemon was coming up next. I'm excited for all of them, just not all in a row!

Great for you, but honestly not my stance. I just don't want them at all. None of them, except maybe Machop (which I already have my Shiny of), would make for an interesting Community Day for me. Vulpix is relatively common already and Dratini already had its Community Day. I just couldn't be bothered to go out to play for either of them. I'd just rather them not get Community Days at all. Though I do agree, I would miss the randomness factor as well, just wouldn't be my main concern.