• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Kirby Phelps (PK)

EarthBound anyone?
Man…I keep hearing people online talking about how they go out and see a bunch of neat Pokemon and get cool stuff at Pokestops. But whenever I go out, I hardly ever see anything. I even had an incense on at one point and only encountered like two Pokemon during that 30 minute time frame. I even go toward the rustling grass areas and still encounter nothing. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. I’m seeing gyms in my area housed by freakin Jolteons and Hypnos. Where’re they finding so many Eevees and Drowzees?

BCVM22

Has anyone actually tried playing with an iPod, and how's that working out for you?

I can't imagine this to be terribly fulfilling, given that you're tethered to a Wi-Fi connection, given that the iPod touch doesn't have built-in GPS like an iPhone does (forcing the app to rely on the GPS coordinates of the Wi-Fi connection, which is hit-and-miss) and given that an iPod touch doesn't quite have the processing power of a concurrent iPhone model.

You're more than welcome to discard this on the basis that I haven't tried it myself, but on paper it strikes me as a very limited version of the full experience.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Limited yes, I expect that. But considering I live in dead zone, my initial plan was to play it on a wi-fi only device to start with, so that limitation I'd already squared with. I'd considered getting a smartphone before, but what I'd use it for (mostly online messages and games during work breaks), plus most anywhere I go in town usual has wi-Fi, it seems like an iPod might make more sense. And probably it'd be compatible speed to my tablet (which is too big to have one me in some situations anyways).

Jinouga87

So I just witnessed something. Seems you can see if a Gym is being attacked. I was playing on my tablet which is the only thing I have that can play Pokemon GO and I have two Gyms on my map view. On the one closest to me I saw something I hadn't seen before: various elemental effects going on just below the Pokemon. It happened a few times and then the Gym went from Valor to unclaimed only to be claimed by Instinct. Has anybody else seen anything like this or am I the only one?

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
So I just witnessed something. Seems you can see if a Gym is being attacked. I was playing on my tablet which is the only thing I have that can play Pokemon GO and I have two Gyms on my map view. On the one closest to me I saw something I hadn't seen before: various elemental effects going on just below the Pokemon. It happened a few times and then the Gym went from Valor to unclaimed only to be claimed by Instinct. Has anybody else seen anything like this or am I the only one?

Yes, you can see what is happening at a gym. I've seen this many times. I've got four gyms around me and it's really fun to see, you know, if you're team is able to claim it or defend it.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Has there been any confirmation about whether the legendary birds can be caught? While my friend and I were out hunting some people told us they heard there was a Zapdos by a power plant near my city.

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Has there been any confirmation about whether the legendary birds can be caught? While my friend and I were out hunting some people told us they heard there was a Zapdos by a power plant near my city.

No confirmations yet. It possibly could be that someone mistook a flying type Pokemon for a Zapdos. I feel there will be an event for the legendary Pokemon, since there can be only one of each Pokemon. If they were in the wild, everyone would try and catch them and everyone would have a Zapdos or a mew etc, which would make the game boring.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Limited yes, I expect that. But considering I live in dead zone, my initial plan was to play it on a wi-fi only device to start with, so that limitation I'd already squared with. I'd considered getting a smartphone before, but what I'd use it for (mostly online messages and games during work breaks), plus most anywhere I go in town usual has wi-Fi, it seems like an iPod might make more sense. And probably it'd be compatible speed to my tablet (which is too big to have one me in some situations anyways).

You can play with an Ipod, but unless you have a wifi source right on top of a Pokestop get ready to spend a lot of money on incenses, because that's the only way you'll encounter any pokemon. Although, if you have a generous friend, they can turn their phone into a hotspot, giving your Ipod a mobile wifi address.

Vroomer

Is anyone compiling a list of locations? I done mean specific locations, I mean generic. For example, Zubat can be found in suburban and urban areas. This Pokemon is in national/state parks. Something like that.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I've heard stories of people finding pokemon around thier houses. I just dont understand how. Unless they are using Incense of course.

Can pokemon just pop up while walking around your house?

Jinouga87

I've heard stories of people finding pokemon around thier houses. I just dont understand how. Unless they are using Incense of course.

Can pokemon just pop up while walking around your house?

I wish they would. I've never seen anything passed what I got from Incense.

BCVM22

can pokemon just pop up while walking around your house?

Not nearly as many as going outside, but absolutely. I have consistently if infrequently found Weedle, Rattata, Pidgey and the occasional Spearow and Zubat in my home. Use of an Incense increases that and even throws the occasional wild card like a Shellder into the mix. It's seldom more than 1-2 an hour, if that.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
There are so many people in my area playing Pokémon GO xD While driving home from work I witnessed quite a few or driving around town there will be people with their phone, even a tablet, out near a stop or a gym. I took a look at a couple of their phones while driving by and it's definitely the GO map. It makes me laugh. I know at some point I will definitely run into one of these "trainers" because with so many walking around, how can I not? Also, gym battles I witness frequently... there's one right near my house, which I was leading a couple days ago but decided to work on my Pokémon after I was beat by the servers ( xD ), and it's frequently occupied (and unnocupied) , this morning it wasn't and then same person who had it yesterday re-claimed it. There's almost no Team Mystic players in my town, but there's a few on my way to work.

Most people in my area also seem to have Vaporeon... the majority of gyms are covered by Vaporeon. I've seen 1 (maybe 2?) Flareon and 1 Jolteon. The highest CP I have seen is over 1,000. I'm thinking about trying to stabilize a couple of gyms that my team has already overridden instead of trying to claim more gyms, especially considering that there aren't many teammates near me.
My highest CP is actually a Vaporeon ^ xD Eevee are really common over here, as well as, Pidgey, and then Weedle.

As for Pokémon popping up while walking around my house. I've only had one without incense and it was a Weedle on the bathroom sink while I was getting ready for my day.

It is a fun game, hopefully it will only get better from here.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Has it been confirmed/denied that Pokemon population is based on how many internet-connected devices are in the area?

I've seen it speculated in articles, and from my own personal experience it is true, but was wondering if there's been any official word? Just so I know for sure to avoid certain places..

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So many people are playing this game and the levels are super high.

yeah it's incredibly popular. It sort of annoys me that everyone is going to be so behind the US and Australia and New Zealand because they'll have way higher levels. At least it's a local game it seems, but if someone travels they'll totally destroy everyone else.

Gizmoa

Is anyone looking into the IV's of pokemon in Pokemon Go? I have caught several pokemon of the same bar arc filling with slightly different cp, and hp. I also get some xs and xl in size and weight, but these don't correspond to the hp or cp (at least at the low levels I am getting them at). Do we know what weight or size do, if anything? Do the move faster in gyms or grow differently? Do we know if raising CP with candy is better than capturing pokemon with higher cp?

Kruzenic

Is anyone looking into the IV's of pokemon in Pokemon Go? I have caught several pokemon of the same bar arc filling with slightly different cp, and hp. I also get some xs and xl in size and weight, but these don't correspond to the hp or cp (at least at the low levels I am getting them at). Do we know what weight or size do, if anything? Do the move faster in gyms or grow differently? Do we know if raising CP with candy is better than capturing pokemon with higher cp?

IV's - not clear
CP - simply different copies of a Pokemon with differing levels of CP growth. In other words, a CP 102 Weedle is simply grown more than the CP 51 Weedle. You can power up the weaker to match the stronger (though that takes more time and resources)
Size - I was thinking it may affect hp but still unclear. I do know sizes can change once it evolves. (ex. a xs could become normal upon evolution)

Back to CP: that level 102 Weedle will be easier and faster to train up than the 51. I tend to transfer the low cp ones and keep the highest one I have (unless of course I catch a higher cp one). Now with that said, there's still a lot not known but I hope this helps at least some.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Okay, so my GO experience so far has been... disappointing. And I know a lot of this stems from the fact that my phone was out of date when I got it two years ago, but still. I figure the server issues are being resolved, and I can actually get on the app now, which is nice. However, the app crashes pretty soon after the map loads. Generally, I can only have it open for about 30 to 45 seconds, which is just enough to either capture a pokemon, use a PokeSpot, or transfer a pokemon. Then the app crashes and I have to wait two minutes before it loads up again and... I don't know, I find myself far more frustrated than I am enjoying myself. I've got a bunch of eggs I can't hatch because my GPS is spotty at best, so even if I could keep the app open for literally one minute, it probably wouldn't even register the distance I walk.

When I'm home in the suburbs the app loads better, but the nearest PokeStop is about 2 kilometers away and honestly, after work I have zero inclination to walk out there just for a few pokeballs or a potion. But I work in a the heart of the financial district of a city, which has TONS of pokespots, three of which I can access literally sitting at my desk. And they generally have lures on them, which is why I've been able to make it to level 6. Still, I know I can't keep the app open long enough to try a gym, so... I can't really do that.

Oh my god this is 90s Mewthree rumors all over again and I love it