• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I hope these pain-in-the-*** glitches and server issues are resolved soon, though in fairness if we give it a month all those people not really into pokemon will have gotten bored with the game and the servers will be fine. For now, my advice is if seeing a tractor or a herd of cows is an everyday occurrence for you, this game probably isn't worth the amount of battery it drains from your phone.

As a heads up, the server crashes this weekend have less to do with the game and more to do with either the fact that it just rolled out in 26 countries or a hacking group, depending on whom you ask. (Most sources say it was the work of a hacker group. Most comments to the sources say the hacker group couldn't hack a phone booth, lol.)

That said, to each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If it helps, I've covered in another thread a few tips and things to keep in mind if you live in rural areas. A lot of the AR experience (as defined by technology right now) relies on both GPS and audience participation. If there aren't enough stops in your town, you actually do have to make them, and if there aren't enough Pokémon, you have to find a way to connect with other local players to get them to appear. It's a completely different experience than traditional side games, and that's something that a lot of people might not realize when downloading and getting into the game for the first time (especially in this fandom, as we're so used to the traditional handheld/console format). Sure, it's still problematic for people with mobility issues and/or those without a car, but the point is that the game isn't completely unplayable in a rural area. It just requires a different sort of thinking and playing than what a lot of people are used to.

Or in other words, GO (and AR games in general) are not just "hey guys we put pokémon in the real world AAAAY." It's a lot, lot more complicated, not to mention a beast that requires a lot more interaction with fellow players and the environment than folks might think.

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
Pokemon Go finally launched in Canada today, although I haven't been able to play yet due to servers being overloaded and not being able to make the trainer club account. I do understand, considering I'm pretty sure it launched in a ton of European countries yesterday and now Canada. I'm very excited to play it though, especially considering my boyfriend who absolutely hates Pokemon really wants to play it as well.

Apparently it's only out on IOS in Canada though at the moment? All my friends on Androids say they can't find the app no matter what they do which is a little odd.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Pokemon Go finally launched in Canada today, although I haven't been able to play yet due to servers being overloaded and not being able to make the trainer club account. I do understand, considering I'm pretty sure it launched in a ton of European countries yesterday and now Canada. I'm very excited to play it though, especially considering my boyfriend who absolutely hates Pokemon really wants to play it as well.

Apparently it's only out on IOS in Canada though at the moment? All my friends on Androids say they can't find the app no matter what they do which is a little odd.

It's on Android as well, although it took a bit longer to appear on the Play Store, for some reason. I had sideloaded it previously, but deleted that to install the official version from the store.

I heard they are planning to add trading into the game. I'm looking forward to that. I'm going to save up my Pokemon now I mostly transfer them if I get the same Pokemon twice.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Somehow I ended up finding a Horsea in my backyard, which is quite a ways away from the nearby lake. Has anyone else had wierd encounters like this, and are the Pokemon you find not exactly dependent on the area?

Jinouga87

Somehow I ended up finding a Horsea in my backyard, which is quite a ways away from the nearby lake. Has anyone else had wierd encounters like this, and are the Pokemon you find not exactly dependent on the area?

Through Incense I got a Krabby. I've seen others around but I can't catch them due to my tablet not having 3G.

Yeah I found a Horsea and Goldeen in my room right after I picked a starter and my home isn't close to any lake or pond or puddle.

BCVM22

Routinely. I've had Squirtle, Shellder, Krabby, Seaking and Horsea pop up in areas that could only charitably be called "near water."

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter

yep I found water pokemon randomly in the grass as well XD no where near a lake,river or water of some sort XD

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
So I'm seeing all these videos online and reading all these accounts about how Pokemon Go is encouraging people to socialize with one another...and I've yet to experience this phenomenon even once in the past week. Oh, I've been to densely populated areas, seen dozens of people clearly playing the games. Not one person makes eye contact. No one speaks. Fellow Goers will intentionally reconstruct their walking path just so that they don't have to accidentally talk to someone else. I don't think the people are ashamed of being seen playing Pokemon Go (for now), so I'm ruling that out as an explanation. Are the accounts and videos all lying? Or am I just in the least friendly state ever?

They need to fix the problem about finding sea pokemon near grass that are nowhere near to a lake. Pokemon like Poliwag should be available on the grass but pokemon like goldeen and horsea should be restricted to places near water. It's just unreal finding sea pokemon in my room or in my backyard.

porygonfan

They need to fix the problem about finding sea pokemon near grass that are nowhere near to a lake. Pokemon like Poliwag should be available on the grass but pokemon like goldeen and horsea should be restricted to places near water. It's just unreal finding sea pokemon in my room or in my backyard.

I agree, but I found staryu in a water fountain at a hotel ��

So I'm seeing all these videos online and reading all these accounts about how Pokemon Go is encouraging people to socialize with one another...and I've yet to experience this phenomenon even once in the past week. Oh, I've been to densely populated areas, seen dozens of people clearly playing the games. Not one person makes eye contact. No one speaks. Fellow Goers will intentionally reconstruct their walking path just so that they don't have to accidentally talk to someone else. I don't think the people are ashamed of being seen playing Pokemon Go (for now), so I'm ruling that out as an explanation. Are the accounts and videos all lying? Or am I just in the least friendly state ever?

That's because we can't battle or trade with other players. Everyone runs around trying to catch Pokemon competitively and that's it. Nobody stops to ask what Pokemon you caught because they are too busy.

I'm upset that I can't evolve many of my Pokemon. I haven't found more than one charmander or gastly, even though I have enough stardust to evolve I have no candies. They should of made universal candies any Pokemon can use because these Pokemon weren't caught where I live I was visiting family and I'm not going to be in that area again anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Idk, I think it depends on a couple different factors. Sometimes, folks in a city aren't very friendly. Other times, they totally are, but achieving that connection people are talking about requires you to strike up a conversation. At first, I kinda struggled because lots of folks where I live played in closed social groups, but I've learned that if you keep showing up in places, keep hanging out, and occasionally push yourself to talk to the players who aren't actively avoiding you, it's easier to connect and find people to (literally) run with. Helps if you carry a portable battery and extra wires too, haha!

Point is, if they don't come to you, maybe you just need to go to them. And if that doesn't work, maybe it's just the city, y'know?

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Idk, I think it depends on a couple different factors. Sometimes, in a city aren't very friendly. Other times, they totally are, but achieving that connection people are talking about requires you to strike up a conversation. At first, I kinda struggled because lots of folks where I live played in closed social groups, but I've learned that if you keep showing up in places, keep hanging out, and occasionally push yourself to talk to the players who aren't actively avoiding you, it's easier to connect and find people to (literally) run with. Helps if you carry a portable battery and extra wires too, haha!

Point is, if they don't come to you, maybe you just need to go to them. And if that doesn't work, maybe it's just the city, y'know?

I found myself that if you don't talk to people or go out of your way they won't necessarily talk to you, but if you make an effort than you'll find people are more than friendly to talk. At least here in Canada.
I haven't met one person who has just walked away or not said anything. Once I say something all I see are huge smiles and we quickly say if any good pokemon are nearby, although we are too busy to actually have good convos lol. Last night there were two lures right by each other so it was just hilarious seeing everyone.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I agree, but I found staryu in a water fountain at a hotel ��

I'm upset that I can't evolve many of my Pokemon. I haven't found more than one charmander or gastly, even though I have enough stardust to evolve I have no candies. They should of made universal candies any Pokemon can use because these Pokemon weren't caught where I live I was visiting family and I'm not going to be in that area again anytime soon.

It would be nice for those pokemon we'll probably never get another of, but they would have to make it pretty rare to avoid making individual species' candies pointless.

porygonfan

It would be nice for those pokemon we'll probably never get another of, but they would have to make it pretty rare to avoid making individual species' candies pointless.

Is there an option to buy candies with real money? If there is then that is how they are being financially supported for this "free" game. I'm not even strong enough to battle in a gym unless a raticate under 100 cp is good...

Is there an option to buy candies with real money? If there is then that is how they are being financially supported for this "free" game. I'm not even strong enough to battle in a gym unless a raticate under 100 cp is good...

There isn't an option like that yet but you can buy lures or incenses to maybe try and find more of that same Pokemon you're looking for. The lures work and draw rare Pokemon in my experience.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter

no there is not but if you keep catching pokemon you will get candies of that pokemon which that access you to get stardust to get higher cp but the most thing is raise that trainer level, once you get higher levels you start to see higher cp which you start to get more items at pokestops which you can get great balls, and ultra balls and etc ^_^ I hope that helps :3

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Is there an option to buy candies with real money? If there is then that is how they are being financially supported for this "free" game.

Nooope. And tbqh, the game's better off without such an option because candies are the core of the game. The moment you start letting people buy them, you'll have folks basically buying their way into higher levels (by buying enough candies to evolve and whatnot).

In reality, GO's support comes in part from Nintendo and in part from the items that are offered in the shop, the latter of which do make the game a bit easier but not to the point where you're buying your way up levels instead of going out and moving, as the game intends. So in that sense, you still have that healthy balance of offering items people would want to buy while still making the game largely fair to those who don't really want to spend money to play.

As for candies, there's an alternate solution from a friend (or was it posted here?) that I quite liked, and that was to remove the species restriction on candies and give them a type restriction instead. So instead of earning Krabby candies, Staryu candies, Magikarp candies, and so forth, all of those Pokémon would just dispense water candies that you can use on any Water-type. That way, you still have a bit of a challenge, but it's much, much more doable to evolve and power up even your starter.