• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Um...?

First of all, yeah, I agree with the folks who posted literally just above you. It's still trending, and you still constantly hear about it on the news and across social media. It's very possible that the playership has diminished slightly, but that's really to be expected for something that exploded in popularity literally overnight. You'll always have people trying something out, deciding they don't really care for it, and move on to something else, sad to say. Like, sure, there'll also always be folks who stick around with something because they like it ('cause, well, that's what fandom's all about and all), but having a bunch of folks decide something's not for them is also inevitable and doesn't necessarily mean that the fandom dies off as soon as they leave.

Second, what do you mean by "getting bigger"? As BCVM22 said, Niantic has been updating quite frequently to fix a lot of the issues that were around at launch. Just recently, we've seen not only adjustments to the tracking feature but a proposed actual fix in the works. Plus the server's getting stabilized, and their communication efforts have been improving pretty rapidly. If anything, it's really just starting. It's just that you're not seeing as much of it as you might have earlier because, well, it's not as intensely popular as it had been in its first weeks. And that's not it dying, either, because in its first weeks, it was insanely popular to the point where literally everyone and their grandmothers were on it. In other words, I'd say it's settling down, not dying off.

bolded part: yeah, it was pretty awesome. My therapist had it and the doctors I went to for checkups had their colleagues playing.

but yeah, while I can see it not being quite that level of popularity forever, I don't think it will be dying anytime soon. I mean, if the main games have lasted this long, then surely GO, with some well-timed updates and additions, can too.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
bolded part: yeah, it was pretty awesome. My therapist had it and the doctors I went to for checkups had their colleagues playing.

but yeah, while I can see it not being quite that level of popularity forever, I don't think it will be dying anytime soon. I mean, if the main games have lasted this long, then surely GO, with some well-timed updates and additions, can too.

I don't think the app will dye like you said its just settling down atm which I barely see much people playing the game as much anymore which I see alot of new people playing it once again which I find alot of lower level cp pokemon in gyms which funny thing is the gyms next to my house are starting to be over run now with more yellow which at first it was a valor territory but now its moving to instinct >.>

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They've said in vague terms that it's a possibility down the line. I can't imagine they won't eventually, but not before the app and the servers are where they need to be so we don't end up in the same quagmire again.

That's nice. Some more variety of wild Pokemon would be extremely welcome.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I sort of stop playing this game due to problems with my phone. I'm using a LG Leon LTE 4G. The only issue I'm having is my character stops moving after a couple of minutes or seconds. I tried waiting it for it to move but didn't happen. Again I think it's because of my phone. I got the phone around October of last year.

My brother doesn't seem to have this problem (I think he's using a better phone but I forgot the name).

I now play it sometimes like short walks or a short car ride.

Last edited:

RzK

Meow
2. Gameplay is limited by technology. The game works by pinging devices in an area and generating an appropriate number of Pokémon according to how many people are in the game. Fewer players = fewer Pokémon. This is why it's harder to play in rural environments. It's still a problem, of course, but it's not exactly one that's simple to fix.

Does it work like that? I thought it worked on spawn points. I have spawn points accessible from my home which spawn two Pokémon at the same time every hour, meaning I can catch around 24-30 Pokémon daily without needing to step out from home, obviously if I don't run out of Pokeballs.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Does it work like that? I thought it worked on spawn points. I have spawn points accessible from my home which spawn two Pokémon at the same time every hour, meaning I can catch around 24-30 Pokémon daily without needing to step out from home, obviously if I don't run out of Pokeballs.

Yep. While Pokémon might generate in an area frequently (which may be what you're encountering), the actual amount of Pokémon generated works exactly like it does for XM in Ingress, which relies on the number of devices active in an area. (Source for that. And source for the idea that Pokémon generation is linked to XM.)

Admittedly, "number of devices" doesn't necessarily mean players (it's just simpler to define it as such), but the point is, the fewer people around = the fewer Pokémon you'll see.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Will I get banned if I use apps like RadarGo?

Formally, this is considered cheating by Niantic (as it falls under the "accessing Pokémon GO clients or backends in an unauthorized manner including through the use of third party software" part), so yes. Informally, it's hard to say whether or not they'll actually notice you if you're not doing something like spoofing, but in any case, most third-party apps are blocked from accessing GO anyway. Soooo ... good luck.

(Incidentally, not really to you but the general public, this is also why the mod team's kinda discouraging the discussion of how to use/where to get tracking apps—because they're considered cheating devices by Niantic, and we're going to respect that, sorry to say.)

So I finally battled at a gym for the first time (not many gyms near me and I was waiting in the car in a shopping center parking lot) and I found it quite frustrating :/. Or maybe I'm just not very good at it. I tried swiping left and right to dodge but no matter which way I swiped the gym pokemon just faced the direction that my pokemon was in and attacked and I lost a lot of attacking opportunities trying to dodge. I got maybe two dodges out of that whole fight. I mostly got creamed fighting gym pokemon with about the same cp as mine. Anyone have any tips or is that just how the gym battles are?

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
So I finally battled at a gym for the first time (not many gyms near me and I was waiting in the car in a shopping center parking lot) and I found it quite frustrating :/. Or maybe I'm just not very good at it. I tried swiping left and right to dodge but no matter which way I swiped the gym pokemon just faced the direction that my pokemon was in and attacked and I lost a lot of attacking opportunities trying to dodge. I got maybe two dodges out of that whole fight. I mostly got creamed fighting gym pokemon with about the same cp as mine. Anyone have any tips or is that just how the gym battles are?

I figured out how to do it after a few times its really not that hard I normally don't dodge like crazy because it gets you no where as well as attacking like crazy by tapping like a mad person XD I am not sure if you know this but you need to tap on the opponent pokemon to attack or you will never get anywhere plus I would only dodge when they use there harder second attacks like fire blast and etc. The game will tell you when they are about to launch it when they do I would start trying to dodge. I wouldn't want to dodge on the first attacks that much because it barely scratches you which you can use 6 pokemon to beat opponents gym pokemon. I hope this makes any sense >.<

anyway so guys know anything about when they will update for generation 2? I heard that it was gunna be in december by someone which i highly doubt but then I had a article say it was next year in may as well as trading withmewtwo,mew, moltres,articuno,and zapdos being released.

Mileron

Sometimes, dodging doesn't help, depending on the gym defender's attacks.
Also, some defender attacks seem to have a "wide angle of effect" instead of just "if you're in front of it."

While I don't have a lot of gym experience under my belt either (mostly due to having low power battalions) the few I succeeded in fighting I basically did this:
1 - Try to use type advantage; this helps more than you might think
2 - Dodge either when you see the animation of the attack or the yellow flash. Sometimes two dodges might be necessary.
3 - Tap to attack. Hold attack for special when the bar is full.

It's really a "try and try again til you get a rhythm".

With the above, I was able to take 3 out of 4 of a gym with a Pidgeot and a Slowbro (Vaporeon, Exeggcutor, and Flareon, until the 1800+ Dragonite whupped me good).

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Sometimes, dodging doesn't help, depending on the gym defender's attacks.
Also, some defender attacks seem to have a "wide angle of effect" instead of just "if you're in front of it."

While I don't have a lot of gym experience under my belt either (mostly due to having low power battalions) the few I succeeded in fighting I basically did this:
1 - Try to use type advantage; this helps more than you might think
2 - Dodge either when you see the animation of the attack or the yellow flash. Sometimes two dodges might be necessary.
3 - Tap to attack. Hold attack for special when the bar is full.

It's really a "try and try again til you get a rhythm".

With the above, I was able to take 3 out of 4 of a gym with a Pidgeot and a Slowbro (Vaporeon, Exeggcutor, and Flareon, until the 1800+ Dragonite whupped me good).

I was seriously wondering how to launch my second special moves it was driving me nuts but know I figured it out to your post thanks XD I can save my potions/super/hyper potions now :p

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
One thing I wish they did if make it a 100 % chance of getting at least 1 pokeball from pokestops. Potions and revives are so useless, at least right now for me. Also it would be nice if you could have a chance of getting stardust from pokestops since some Pokemon are so rare that they are really hard to evolve.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
One thing I wish they did if make it a 100 % chance of getting at least 1 pokeball from pokestops. Potions and revives are so useless, at least right now for me. Also it would be nice if you could have a chance of getting stardust from pokestops since some Pokemon are so rare that they are really hard to evolve.

the more useful items don't milk as much as they should which is annoying tbh I got like 16 potions but 2 hyper potions like wtf and on top of it at a certain level tbh they shouldn't even give us pokeballs anymore because it so hard to capture them in pokeballs after level 20 -_-

BCVM22

App update inbound.

Release notes:
Pokémon GO updated to version 0.35.0 for Android and 1.5.0 for iOS
Trainers,

Pokémon GO is in the process of being updated to version 0.35.0 for Android and 1.5.0 for iOS devices. Below are some release notes and comments from our development team.

Implemented Pokémon Appraisal: Trainers will now be able to learn about a Pokémon’s attack and defense capabilities from their Team Leader (Candela, Blanche or Spark) to determine which of their Pokémon have the most potential for battle.

We are still working hard on several new and exciting features to come in the future of Pokémon GO.

Minor bot fixes

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
App update inbound.

Release notes:

yeah saw that one which I thought at first reading it I thought it was already out to be updated XD which it isn't yet still in progress I can't wait to see the new updates which isn't to much but still excited ^_^

so quick question did anyone figure out the battles won on some of the peoples pokemon in gyms mean? I tried to research it but everyone seems to have different answers?

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Is the game supposed to update automatically because I went to the google store yesterday and it just said open or uninstall it didn't say update...

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Is the game supposed to update automatically because I went to the google store yesterday and it just said open or uninstall it didn't say update...

This is actually because the update hasn't rolled out for everyone yet. XD; Some folks got it (apparently, judging by the media), but everyone else might have to wait a day or two.

porygonfan

I'm noticing many places are predicable with Pokemon. In or near wooded areas I usually only find pidgey,pidgeotto, spearow, rattata, and weedle. At or near the ocean fighting,ground,rock, electric, and fire Pokemon (strange!).

I'm still not seeing rarer Pokemon by the water like Lapras, Gyarados, tentacruel, dewgong, seadra, blastoise.