• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Go Discussion

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's weird. GO Fest may have been a trainwreck, but I think that we got more out of it because it was a trainwreck. If things had gone successfully then it's possible that we would only have a few of the most useful perks rather than all of them.

Honestly, I never liked the idea of these real-life events. I hope this discourages them from hosting them in the future.

Can't say the same for those that went to Chicago, though. I personally know someone who bought two tickets for 550$ each. 550$! And all he got out of it was a frustrating experience that refunded him just 20$ and some Pokecoins. It must really suck to be him right now.

As much as that does suck, isn't that kind of his problem for buying tickets at nearly 30 times their actual price?

Exsception

Born Completionist
As much as that does suck, isn't that kind of his problem for buying tickets at nearly 30 times their actual price?

Well, no. It's Niantic's fault. He was completely willing to pay 1,100$ to take himself and his girlfriend to GO Fest. If things had gone as planned, I'm sure that he would have had a great time and had no regrets on the purchase. It's because of Niantic and their cheapskate preparations that he got screwed over.

Anyway, I just fought my first Articuno Raid. The turnout was so large that we actually had to split into two groups of 13. Our group was able to defeat it. But because I'm not on Mystic, I had half as many chances as everyone else and I wasn't able to catch it. All of these extra perks for Mystic really aren't helping the fact that it far outnumbers Valor and Instinct.

Vroomer

Also, I just found out that players are able to catch more than one of any given Legendary Pokémon. Wow, that's lame and canon-breaking.

Latias Dex entry from Pokémon Emrald:"They make a small herd of only several members. They rarely make contact with people or other Pokémon. They disappear if they sense enemies."

More than one is neither lame nor canon breaking.

lilygrace

Also, when rereading over the news about Lugia and Articuno, am I correct in understanding that players will only have until the end of July 24th to try and catch either of them?

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Lugia will not be out tomorrow. Legendary raids will have a 48 hour waiting period before it hatches. So I wouldn't expect any until Tuesday, I believe.

I just caught an Articuno today, and I also battled a Lugia. I failed to catch the Lugia, though. I caught the Articuno on the 5th ball after getting 7 balls to use. I got 9 throws for Lugia, but it popped out of every ball. There was a guy in our group that actually caught it with his first ball.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just got back from a Lugia raid. After waiting an hour to gather enough people to battle it, I failed to catch it, just like the Articuno from last night. That was a bummer. And once again, my brother succeeded. I'm getting very jealous of him right now.

Latias Dex entry from Pokémon Emrald:"They make a small herd of only several members. They rarely make contact with people or other Pokémon. They disappear if they sense enemies."

More than one is neither lame nor canon breaking.

You missed the next post I made, better explaining myself. This is what I said:
It's pretty clear that there are more than one of most Legendary Pokémon. That wasn't my issue. My problem is more of the fact that no mere mortal should posses an army of fifty Ho-oh, when even one is pushing it as far as lore is concerned.

Even if there are more than one of any given Legendary Pokémon, they are still extremely rare, near impossible to catch, creatures of myth and Legend. As far as lore is concerned, it's supposed to an incredibly impossible task just to get one of a given Legendary Pokémon. It won't be long now until we see trainers with armies of 50+ of every available Legendary.

Rapiido

Did 5 Articuno raids and 1 Lugia raid. Caught 1 Articuno and Lugia. Today was a good day.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Just saw the news that the Legendary Pokemon raid battles (at least for Articuno) will only be available for a limited time, which really sucks since I haven't been able to find enough people to take one down. I really didn't think the hype for it would die in my area so quickly. I'll just have to keep looking and hopefully catch a good raid soon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Today I did another Lugia Raid. This time we only managed to get a group of ten together, and it wasn't enough to beat the thing. Now that's three raids, no Legendary still.

Exsception

Born Completionist
I had great day of Pokemon today! (Long, but great.)

I did 5 Articuno Raids and 4 Lugia Raids. I guess Pokemon Go is much more alive in my area than I had thought, as we had over 50 people show up at one of the Lugia Raids. I was lucky enough to catch the Lugia afterwards, and it had a whopping 96% IVs!

Later in the day I was in a small group of 8 people, and we were somehow able to best an Articuno; which I was also able to catch. Its IVs were below 80%, but at this point I'm just glad I was able to catch one before I no longer have the chance to.
Overall, I'm 2/6 for Articuno and 1/4 for Lugia. Not too bad!

I also took advantage of the EXP Boost and made a Pidgey Purge. (136K points)
And to end the day off, I hatched an adorable Ash-Hat Pichu.

So yeah, I'm very satisfied!

Vipsoccermaster

The event sure has taken a toll on my Poké Balls. Plus, lots of Pokémon escaping pretty frequently. On the way to dinner today, I saw an Articuno at a gym, but of course no one is around it. So much for that (didn't even attempt). Oh, and the event has been extended from Monday, July 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM PDT to Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM PDT. An extra 72 hours.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I went raiding with a group of about 30 people from 10am until 3pm, although I did one before that since I was up and knew where it was. I believe we hit around 10 raids in that amount of time so that was pretty good and had enough to split the group by what team they were. Between today and yesterday I ended up with 4 Lugia and 8 Articuno, none of which were from Chicago. I've also hatched Chansey, Dratini, Larvitar, Snorlax, Porygon, and Mareep during the event. So far I've earned around 800,000 experience.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Went to three raids today (2 of which I participated in). The first one, a Lugia raid in which nobody else showed up...womp. The other two were Articuno raids. The first we beat with 10 people, but only 2 got the Articuno (I did get a charge TM though, so that's great!). The second one we did with 7 people (just barely) and about 3 or 4 caught the Articuno, myself included! So finally I have a legendary XD IVs could be better, but I'm just happy I have one now.

Also, I'm so thankful that they extended the bonus period till Thursday. That's awesome!

jabber2033

So hatched my first Chansey from a 10km(3.3km) egg; due to the candy bonus I was able to immediately evolve it into Blissey.

Hatched a Houndour and evolved it into my first Houndoom. Roughly 1650cp.

Also evolved a 745 Eevee into a 2300 cp Vaporeon with Water Gun and Water Pulse; was hoping for Hydro Pump but not terrible.

Currently spinning stops for what is probably my last round of eggs.

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
Am I the only one frustrated with the legendary raids? I never played for battling, only filling pokedex, and I am having the hardest time fighting the legends to even catch the damn things. They also break out of all of my balls when I try and catch them after beating them! I'm super frustrated at how they are rolling out legends. If they are having us fight them like this make them easier to catch or just have them all appear and not be locked to a specific week and that week only to get them.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Am I the only one frustrated with the legendary raids? I never played for battling, only filling pokedex, and I am having the hardest time fighting the legends to even catch the damn things. They also break out of all of my balls when I try and catch them after beating them! I'm super frustrated at how they are rolling out legends. If they are having us fight them like this make them easier to catch or just have them all appear and not be locked to a specific week and that week only to get them.

I'm hoping they'll have another run of them all (maybe around Thanksgiving or Christmas), but the best way to catch them is, Golden Razz Berry, curveball, and hit excellent...even so, when I did that, it popped out. I'm currently 1 for 4 with Articuno and 0 for 1 with Lugia. I agree, I wish the catch rate was higher (higher than 2 or 3 percent) and I wish it wasn't 'you gotta get them now before they're gone', but that's just how they decided to do them. : /

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I caught another Articuno (it's my second one) but I still can't catch a Lugia. I've been hitting excellent curveballs, the ball shakes twice almost every time, and Lugia just breaks out of them. I'm 0-4 so far trying to catch Lugia. Eventually I will catch it. Hopefully.

I've ran into so many people that catch it with their first ball.

Good luck to everyone!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Trust me, you're not the only one. I've been managing to defeat them easily enough, but I still have yet to catch either Articuno or Lugia. Obviously I'm getting very nervous about Articuno now. They'll probably come back later, but that doesn't change how stressful this is.

Doobius

was lookin to get some advice on which pokes i should evolve to get a dragonite and a gyarados. i have a couple options and am looking for your input for which ones i should evolve in terms of being best overall…either for defending a gym or for fighting one, etc. i’m instinct btw..

how to read the below: cp, total IVs, best quality 1, best quality 2 (if applicable), best stat rating

dragonair

538, battle with best, attack, best ever seen

dratini

468, battle with best, defense, best ever seen

magikarp
119, battle with best, attack, best ever seen
116, battle with best, attack & defense, strong/impressive
115, battle with best, hp & defense, strong/impressive

i may need more dratini candies if a defense dragonite is preferred. i only have enough to evolve dragonair currently. i was leaning towards the attack dragonite and the 116 magikarp.

so, which would you evolve?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
was lookin to get some advice on which pokes i should evolve to get a dragonite and a gyarados. i have a couple options and am looking for your input for which ones i should evolve in terms of being best overall…either for defending a gym or for fighting one, etc. i’m instinct btw..

how to read the below: cp, total IVs, best quality 1, best quality 2 (if applicable), best stat rating

dragonair

538, battle with best, attack, best ever seen

dratini

468, battle with best, defense, best ever seen

magikarp
119, battle with best, attack, best ever seen
116, battle with best, attack & defense, strong/impressive
115, battle with best, hp & defense, strong/impressive

i may need more dratini candies if a defense dragonite is preferred. i only have enough to evolve dragonair currently. i was leaning towards the attack dragonite and the 116 magikarp.

so, which would you evolve?

I am not a "competitive" player, as much as that can be a thing in Go, so I may not have the best advice, but when I evolve, I try to combine best IVs with best best CP. If you don't plan on powering it up, then it's best to focus purely on CP, as that will get you the best Pokémon possible without powering up. If you do plan on powering up, then you want the best IVs possible, while still not having low CP.

For you specifically, I would definitely suggest evolving the Dratini over the Dragonair, as it will have much more CP when evolved into Dragonite than Dragonair would. Since you said you don't have enough candy to evolve it right now, I'm going to guess you won't have enough in the future to power it up, so the higher CP is more important than anything IV-related. If you do plan on powering it up, then the Dragonair would only be better if you plan on focusing on putting your Dragonite in a gym. IF you plan on using it to attack gyms and raids with, which is probably the best use of Dragonite in the current system, then you'll want to prioritize attack over defense.

And with Magikarp, all three have such similar CP that you're going to want to focus on IVs for them. I don't know the appraisal system for teams other than Mystic, but I'm assuming that saying it's strong means that it has top-tier IVs. In which case, you'll want to evolve the 116 CP one, as attack is once again the most important stat for a Gyarados.

Of course, that's all what I would do, but I may not be the best to ask.