• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naxte

Mew was first.
No. It's made quite clear by the Canalave Libary and its Pokedex entry that Arceus existed before anything else. After it came Dialga and Palkia and then the Lake Trio.

Mew creates Arceus. Arceus creates the Universe. Mew makes all other Pokemon.
Mew was never stated to have created anything. It simply had the DNA of all Pokemon and that caused people to believe that it was the ancestor (note: ancestor, not creator) of all Pokemon. That idea got shot down once Arceus was discovered to exist.

Anyway, Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia are quite obviously described to be gods, so that's what they are. I don't really see the problem people have with it. You might not like them being gods, because they're not the type of Gods you'd like to exist, but it's silly to deny them being such for those reasons. Just call them crummy gods instead if that's how you feel.

Blueties said:
If Arceus was the God Pokemon, some of the other Pokemon should pray to him, or something.
Most Pokemon probably don't even know it exists... Living in the wild, it's pretty hard to figure that out...

Yellow Torterra said:
creator/=/god
Besides pokemon is ment to be a religion-less game
Same thing to me... Only difference is in if you worship it for being such... And depending on the definition used, being the creator of the universe would be enough for it to be considered a god.

Ad of course no real religions would be mentioned it. However, there is a building that quite clearly appears to be a church in Hearthome city, so there quite clearly is religion in the Pokemon world.

randomspot555

No. It's made quite clear by the Canalave Libary and its Pokedex entry that Arceus existed before anything else. After it came Dialga and Palkia and then the Lake Trio.

Those are the myths that surround the Sinnoh Pokemon. They are not historical events. Notice the colorful language, and stuff that isn't even true (Arceus creating with it's non existant 10,000 arms). Notice how they're even written in similar fashion to other creation story myths.

There are myths surrounding tons of Pokemon. Looking into Shedinja is said to take your soul, and all types of weird crap. That doesn't make it true. My in-game trainer doesn't die every time Shedinja comes out.

Mew was never stated to have created anything. It simply had the DNA of all Pokemon and that caused people to believe that it was the ancestor (note: ancestor, not creator) of all Pokemon. That idea got shot down once Arceus was discovered to exist.

Nothing has been shot down because there has never been an established creator Pokemon, god pokemon, or ancestor Pokemon. There are some in-game theories (Mew is said to have the DNA of every Pokemon) floated around, but they're just theories.

The whole "omgzers Arceus is teh godz" is a FAN theory. It is pure fan speculation, and nothing in the game comes close to confirming it.

Anyway, Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia are quite obviously described to be gods, so that's what they are. I don't really see the problem people have with it. You might not like them being gods, because they're not the type of Gods you'd like to exist, but it's silly to deny them being such for those reasons. Just call them crummy gods instead if that's how you feel.

No...they just aren't gods at all.

If they're divine, how can they be captured by normal humans and obey quite well? Somehow, I don't think any god would willingly submit to a mere mortal.

You see those anime episodes where if someone even thinks about capturing A LEGENDARY POKEMON *gasp*, everyone goes into shock and stops them? And they're not even divine.

Ad of course no real religions would be mentioned it. However, there is a building that quite clearly appears to be a church in Hearthome city, so there quite clearly is religion in the Pokemon world.

Just because a religion exists doesn't make it's beliefs and myths truth.

Maybe it's just my atheist nature, but I agree with randomspot555 and Maruno on this one. There is no solid evidence as to whether or not any Pokemon is a god, and so we cannot consider any as a god until proof is given that they are in fact a god. The Pokedex entries have that key word: myth. The definition of 'myth' is: a story from ancient times, especially one that was told to explain natural events or to describe the early history of a people OR something that many people believe but that does not exist or is false. That definition is clear in saying that myths are NOT TRUE. So Arceus, Dialga and Palkia are clearly not gods, merely powerful Pokemon that people created an explanation for something whacky in nature which made this Pokemon that much more special. Not divine, but special. Needs.
And for those of you who argue against the fact there's no evidence that there are no Pokemon gods saying that there isn't any proof that they're not, kindly get over it. As Matuno and randomspot555 have said before me, a god Pokemon would not just obey some random kid because he threw a ball at it. If it was a god, it'd be a pretty pathetic one.

jaxonferz

the only reason i say arceus is god is because of his "godly" stats. i dont beleive he is actually god of everything pokemon. i also agree with blueEew. if there is a "god" pokemon. it would be mew

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
i would like to say that arceus and his first creations are refered to as deitys who created shinnoh, they are never refered to as gods just deitys heck as well as we know the trainer you play could be the god being he has the power to stop entire criminal groups dead in there traxs. plus the whole god won't obey mortal thing they are DEITYs not gods so a masterball later and you caught a creature that has the power to use time, space, and creation; of course the abilities to manipultate those elements are lost when that masterball ceases to wiggle

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
i would like to say that arceus and his first creations are refered to as deitys who created shinnoh, they are never refered to as gods just deitys heck as well as we know the trainer you play could be the god being he has the power to stop entire criminal groups dead in there traxs. plus the whole god won't obey mortal thing they are DEITYs not gods so a masterball later and you caught a creature that has the power to use time, space, and creation; of course the abilities to manipultate those elements are lost when that masterball ceases to wiggle

de·i·ty /?di?ti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dee-i-tee]
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a god or goddess.
2. divine character or nature, esp. that of the Supreme Being; divinity.
3. the estate or rank of a god: The king attained deity after his death.
4. a person or thing revered as a god or goddess: a society in which money is the only deity.
5. the Deity, God; Supreme Being.

Deities=Gods. Don't try and pull some of your own bloody semantics out of this.

As I've stated in previous topics like this, the whole problem with this idea, is that just about everyone here will view this concept from the Judeo-christian perspective, where a god is perfect, infallible, and incorruptible. Failing to realize that not only is this concept uncommon within the realm of world religions, but decently foreign to the nation this game was designed in.

Disliking the idea simply because it doesn't comform to your particular religious beliefs is a bit ignorant imo, as one, this is all fiction. And two, other religions =/= your religion.

Regardless... I agree that arceus is not necessarily a god. Myth does not equal fact. People believed that the greek pantheon ruled the world from above, and today most people are likely to brush that off as nothing more then mythology. The same could be said of religions existent today. The people of the future may brush of christianity, bhuddism, wicca or whathaveyou, as nothing more then myth. I can believe the sky is green, that doesn't make it true. The people in the pokemon universe could believe that arceus was in fact a god. That doesn't necessarily make it so.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Hmm. Well, I certainly don't consider any pokemon a 'god.'

The way I look at it, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza are just extremely powerful titans that can influence their respective element. No god powers, just stronger-than-normal pokemon powers.

Arceus created all pokemon, using Mew as a template.

Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf didn't give humans emotions, contrary to the dex, but they do give the pokemon knowledge, emotions, and willpower, which is why the pokemon seem to have more human personalities than animal personalities.

Giratina is merely the caretaker of an alternate dimension where everything is opposite of this world. Aka, the Torn World.

The rest of the legendaries are just strong, usually one-of-a-kind pokemon. Like Lugia and Ho-oh, the birds, beasts, and golems, and the Lati@s.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
If there we're a God Pokemom. Mew is definatly it.
If mew is god, answer me this. Why would god fossilize and get cloned? Nonetheless have a clone made of him that is better than the original?

I think the ancestor of all pokemon thing could just mean that mew is believed to be an important evolutionary link (when I say evolution, I mean animal evolution, not instantaneous pokemon evolution).

Maruno

It's hardly shot down, because Diamond and Pearl's Pokédex entries say "...many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon". This is the same Pokédex that registers Arceus, and you would have thought the entry would be changed if Arceus was known.

The whole thing is nothing more than suggestions and guesses. You probably can't get away nowadays with creating a blank region, putting a few pokémon in it and saying "go". Modern Pokémon games need some kind of story, and everyone likes the apocalyptic "only you can save the world" plots (as unlikely/impossible as they are). I think that's the only reason the god stories are floating around in the first place, because of the desire of GameFreaks to top themselves every time.

Besides, if the Arceus story really was how everything was created, don't you think there'd be more people worshipping them? That is, people from other regions? Many Westerners believe in Christianity even though the place it all happened was around that Jerusalem place.

Yet other regions haven't heard of it. The Arceus story is nothing more than a regional tale. And don't go on about "the creation myth hadn't been invented when they made Generation 1, 2 and possibly 3", because GameFreaks loves continuity and this clearly isn't continuous.

The basic and most logical stance is to not believe anything that's flooded with words like "it is said that" and "mythology" and "believe". That's not to say it's not true, but there's no evidence to suggest it is, and it's so much simpler and involves so fewer assumptions to not believe the Arceus story.

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
They Already Loosly Called Arceus A God In The Pokedex
They Say He Created The Universe
Creator = God
The Only Reason They Said "In Mythology" Is Because No One Is Ment To Have Seen Arceus Also So They Can Change It If Any Religions Get Pissy.

randomspot555

They Already Loosly Called Arceus A God In The Pokedex

No, they didn't.

They Say He Created The Universe

IN MYTHOLOGY=myth=story to explain the unexplainable, not to record history or tell facts! 99/100 myths have no basis in actual reality. The city of Troy is one very small exception.

Creator = God

I can create a ham sandwich. That does not make me divine.

The Only Reason They Said "In Mythology" Is Because No One Is Ment To Have Seen Arceus Also So They Can Change It If Any Religions Get Pissy.

No, they say in mythology because it's a reigonal myth.

Are cats divine?

The ancient Egyptians thought so.

And don't give me this "Well they could be divine, we just don't know" crap. There is no evidence to suggest cats are divine, same with Arceus.

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
I can create a ham sandwich. That does not make me divine.
It Does.. XD Also I Ment Creator Of The Universe.

Maruno

We could very easily descend to the "but who created Arceus?" argument here, which has no possible conclusion. Could we try not going there?

CharizardBlastoise, you appear to take everything in the games literally, yet I don't recall you ever saying you do. Do you? And if so, why?

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
I Have No Comment To That Other Than
Game Freak/Nintendo Don't Like Secrets They Say Mythology They Mean It's True.

randomspot555

I Have No Comment To That Other Than
Game Freak/Nintendo Don't Like Secrets They Say Mythology They Mean It's True.

...that doesn't make any sense at all. Why would they add "in mythology" if they wanted it to be explicitly true? At best, they added that line so that there would be some gray area. More likely, they added that line to prevent all these "omger! teh godz 0f p0kemonz!" fan theories floating around.

And why would the creator of the universe be able to get captured and be commanded by some punk 12 year old?

EDIT: Maruno, I'm guessing CB here is a younger kid, probably in the 10-15 year old range. And at that age, kids (and even a bit older and a bit younger), they tend to take almost everything very literally. Something subtle hinting at a mystery makes itself into fact, in their eyes.

EDIT EDIT: I was right. He's 13.

Can you prove the whole "Gamefreak/Nintendo don't like secrets?" The Pokemon story lines are one of the least subtle story lines well...ever. The theme of friendship and hard work can do anything is pretty much beaten to death throughout the games, anime, movies, etc...

Last edited:
You can have unending power, create the universe, and end it. But you will still not be a God. Some people think a large explosion of hydrogen known as the "Big bang" created the universe, does that mean Hydrogen is God? No. Gods are the divine beings of religion, nowhere does it state that there is a Religion devoted to Arceus, nor does it describe him as a God. Like Randomspot555 said, it is a FAN thoery and nothing more.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
LOL @ two pages of posts debating if arceus is a god, without anyone stating which definition of the word god is meant...

Arceus is not a higher being which is omnipotent and everything, nor did it create the universe or the earth or any other crap. Legendaries are super rare pokemon which posses some special abilities, like how palkia can distort space a bit and how groudon can make the atmosphere around it hotter...

Because of that, people started to explain the unexplained things by saying those pokemon did it.

Remember how in Hoenn mythology it is said that Kyogre and Groudon created land and sea? Play Emerald. You'll realise that they're more like some stupid monsters which will only cause trouble when awake.

You will see when 5th generation comes out, there will again be legendaries which are told to have created the region they are found in.

Last edited:

Squaaah

LOL @ two pages of posts debating if arceus is a god, without anyone stating which definition of the word god is meant...

Mitja, you pretty much took the words right out my mouth. God does NOT mean creator it means supreme being, in any religion. The reason people see Gods as creators because they have unlimited power and CAN create things.

Legendary pokemon are simply rare pokemon that people have made legends and stories about, such as the pokemon league flame never going out, and Raikou's bark being the clap of thunder or something. Its all just stories made up by people who have seen the pokemon. Also in the anime, theres more then one of all the legendaries, which implies they are nothing more then really powerful, rare pokemon.

The simple fact that Arceus can be captured in a device which is nothing more then human technology almost as easily as any other non devine pokemon shows that it isnt a supreme being with power beyond this world, and the whole creation theory is simply a legend created by a traveller who happened upon it at some point in Sinnoh's history and the story was passed down through generations until people began to actually believe it.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Ok, this the-legendary-pokemon-are-gods thing really bugs me. It isn't just that I believe that there is one god, and any portrayal of other gods makes me mad, but it's also the fact that if they're gods, this means that they can be controlled by any human in the simple act of throwing something at them. It would be like a ten year old kid controlling God, and that would be enough to send the world to ruins.

The World Of Pokemon Isn't Ment To Make Sence, This Is Not The Real World Also Most Other Pokemon Have Pretty Destructive Powers That Could Cause "Trouble"

That a pathetic cop out of a real explaination used by people to lazy to actually come up with answers to the questions brought up by their own theories, ranked just below "because I said so". It contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

The simple fact that Arceus can be captured in a device which is nothing more then human technology almost as easily as any other non devine pokemon shows that it isnt a supreme being with power beyond this world, and the whole creation theory is simply a legend created by a traveller who happened upon it at some point in Sinnoh's history and the story was passed down through generations until people began to actually believe it.

Did you ever stop to think that Arceus allowed himself to be captured? Also, who's the only person who has the possibility of capturing Arceus? The hero, who neer does anything remotely evil so Arceus knows that his power is safe in the hands of the hero, all he then needs to b sure of are his battling abilities which are tested in the fight with Arceus in the hall of origin and when he decides you are strong and determined enough he will allow hmself to be captured. Besides, he could probably break out if he really wanted/needed to (you know, being the creator/shaper of the universe and all) which just goes to support the theory about Arceus allowing himself to be captured. This theory is also

I'd Also Like To Say About Some Other Pokemon That May Be Considered God-Like

Celebi = NOT A God Travels Through Time, Didn't Create Anything.

Oh dear god (no pun intended) just because she didn't create anything doesn't mean celebi can't be classified as a god, after all she does have the power to ressurect people, which is more than I can say for most of the so called deities (sp?) of pokemon on your list.
mitja said:
Because of that, people started to explain the unexplained things by saying those pokemon did it.

Remember how in Hoenn mythology it is said that Kyogre and Groudon created land and sea? Play Emerald. You'll realise that they're more like some stupid monsters which will only cause trouble when awake.

they might cause trouble when they awake but what evidence do YOU have that they didn't create land and sea hmmm? Think about the things it is already possible for pokemon to do, I think Kyogre and Groudon are at least capable of that.

Mitja said:
You will see when 5th generation comes out, there will again be legendaries which are told to have created the region they are found in.

You can't prove that, have you seen the future? I highly doubt it. The trends show that its unlikely anyways, the only time a pokemon has been proposed to create the region it came out in was Arceus/palkia/dialga IIRC.

Mitja said:

Arceus is not a higher being which is omnipotent and everything, nor did it create the universe or the earth or any other crap. Legendaries are super rare pokemon which posses some special abilities, like how palkia can distort space a bit and how groudon can make the atmosphere around it hotter...

And what evidence do you have (along with other various people) that Arceus is not a higher being or a god? Firstly his name can be taken to mean "ancient/highest god" in greek so that's a bit of a hint along the fact that his clasiffication is "the alpha pokemon" (implying that he was the first).

also, one definition of a god is "a supreme being who is simultaneously the creator and ruler of the universe."

well last time I checked arceus did/does both of those so he is at least a god in that sense.

another way to define a god would be "A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality."

Arceus also resembles both a Qilin (a being whose myth is almost identical to the chinese creation deity known as the Pangu) along with Avalokitsevara (sp?) who is the buddha of compassion.

thats a check for sure so thats three-nil (or possiny two-one considering Mitja's comment about people attempting to explain the world with fables, but at any rate the "for Arceus being a god" crowd are still winning) to the people who think Arceus is a god

Arceus has many abilities and powers far exceeding those of normal/ordinary pokemon, even stronger than those of legendaries. so why shouldn't he be able to create the pokemon universe?

Mitja, you pretty much took the words right out my mouth. God does NOT mean creator it means supreme being, in any religion. The reason people see Gods as creators because they have unlimited power and CAN create things.

If they have unlimited power then surely that would mean that they have enough power to create an entire universe.

egendary pokemon are simply rare pokemon that people have made legends and stories about, such as the pokemon league flame never going out, and Raikou's bark being the clap of thunder or something. Its all just stories made up by people who have seen the pokemon. Also in the anime, theres more then one of all the legendaries, which implies they are nothing more then really powerful, rare pokemon.

Wtf? Only a select few pokemon such as Lugia, Manaphy and Suicune (and maybe a couple others I might have missed out) have been confirmed to have more than one member in their species. You have no proof whatsoever for all of the others.

Last edited:

randomspot555

they might cause trouble when they awake but what evidence do YOU have that they didn't create land and sea hmmm? Think about the things it is already possible for pokemon to do, I think Kyogre and Groudon are at least capable of that.

You can't prove a negative. The burden of prove lies on the people making the claim (arceus, or any Pokemon, is divine; kyogre created whatever), not those disputing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.